Session Black Lager

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Session Black LagerSession Black Lager
Notes: ABV 5.4% IBU 18
Reviews: 372 | Ratings: 926 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.69/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a bottle, pours as a clear brown with essentially no head. Aroma is subtle caramel. Taste is roasted sweet malt with some caramel and toffee flavors. But nothing particularly special.

3.67/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Better than the sum of its parts. Not particularly thick, sort of overly effervescent, and only really "dark" if you drink it with the lights off. Nevertheless it pleases in a surprisingly snappy way. Very drinkable. Feels good on the upper lip from a pint glass, and presents an experience that one would be hard pressed to find completely offensive.

Would drink again. Would buy again if on significant sale.

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a clear brown with a small head. Smells of malts. Tastes of slightly roasted malts and maybe some coffee. Light bodied with light carbonation. Overall it's ok, but nothing I'd get again.

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

This poured a black color with little head
The smell is dark and nutty as is the taste
The mouth feel is surprisingly light despite the other aspects
I like this beer, however I plan on postponing a full rating until I have a few beers in the style

3.21/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This beer is alright. Out of the bottle, looks kind of weak. No head, thin color. But good malty-like molasses flavor. Almost no smell. Thin mouthfeel but feels "wet"...refreshing!

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown coloured beer, small tan head, that dissapears fast yet leaves good lace behind. Roasty,toast like aromas..some toffeeish aspects. Flavour is the same as the nose toasty maltiness, some slight hints of coffee and a touch of hop. Nice mouthfeel to this, silky with an abrubt dry finish. Good drinkable cheap beer what more can one ask for. Hope this sticks around as it would be ideal for Super Bowl and the likes

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

ENJOY BY 2/12/17 printed on label
11 oz. bottle poured into a narrow mug

Look- Poured a deep coppery brown that lets very little light through. 1 finger of tan head with some fine sticky lacing that quickly reduced to about 1/4 finger but went the distance.
Smell- Typical lager smell, yeast I think. With a moderate aroma of bread and caramel malts and a hint of dark fruit.
Taste- Malty and sweet with just enough hop to balance. Finishes bready and bitter.
Feel- Light to medium in body. Smooth with moderate carbonation.
Overall- Good. I am new to this style and am enjoying it. It's nice to have a dark beer that is lighter than a porter or a stout for a change.

The shorty bottle is cool even though it is only 11 ounces. If drinking these with a friend be sure to look under the cap and play rock, paper, scissors!

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap @ Bardenay, served in a pint glass.

A: Clear dark amber/brown with a fluffy head and tons of lace.

S: Big dark malt component, toasty and sweet. Fruity as well - yeast esters I'm guessing. Clean and inviting.

T: Sweet, bready, fruity, and clean. some chocolate and dark fruits as well.

MF: Light/medium creamy body.

O: This was a surprise. A good, clean dark lager that I could drink a lot of. I really like a lot of the Scwarzbiers I've been able to try.

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass at the World of Beer in Pooler, GA. The appearance is a dark brown to black color with a medium sized off-white head. The aroma is a mostly chocolate with some malt. The taste follows the nose. A very good beer.

3.48/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

As the name implies, this pours nearly black. Lifting it to the light reveals flashes of ruby and brown. The head has average frothiness and retention, but is of course on the dark side.

The smell is delicious - happier than I expected, and clean, with hints of oatmeal and orange.

The taste brings plenty of biscuity malt, with a bit of coffee and black licorice. I don’t taste hops nearly as much as I smelled them, though there is certainly something balancing the dark sweetness. There’s something that makes the flavor just a bit unique, and after thinking for a while I think I’ve put my thumb on it - smokiness. You don’t always get smoky flavors from toasted malts, but I think that’s what I’m perceiving here.

Overall this is a fun beer to try. A great compromise between something intriguing and something crowd-pleasing.

2.73/5  rDev -26%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This far too much like a cereal lager, and not enough of the roast grain bitterness which the style should have. Sweet grains dominate the aroma and taste, almost no bitterness or bite at all. Disappointed...

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a clear very dark brown with a moderate head. The aroma is fairlyroasty with chocolate, a hint of smoke, and toasted almonds present. The flavor has a lot or roast nuttiness, with some chocolate, and fruity and minty hop flavors. The mouthfeel is light with playful low level carbonation. Overall this is a very nice and drinkable beer, but I would like just a bit more bite from it.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a single from TW Arrowhead in early April for $1.29. Best by 8/14/2016.

Beer poured cola brown with a fizzy tan head that dissipated quickly.

Nose is sweet roasted chocolate malts, quite nice!

Taste is light roasted malts, light chocolate, and light hopping but the sweetness is kept at bay.

Feel is pretty light but pretty smooth.

Overall an enjoyable reasonably priced schwarzbier. Not sure why i never reviewed this as this was a gateway beer for my buddy that moved from Michigan in 2010 and never drank much more that Labatts Blue since the 80s. Recommended if you need a tailgate beer!

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Smells like "beer" in that alcoholic way, but taste doesn't match up. Lighter mouth feel with slight fizz, followed by roasted tones. An easy to enjoy beer, but nothing that makes you want to quickly reach dove that second one.

3.43/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A good beer for the style. Get some roasted malts and coffee flavor. Nice shimmering dark brown color. A good beer. I'll drink occasionally just to get away from IPAs for a while.
Would go well with steak, bratwurst, and football.

3.41/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Dark brownish red, lighter than most other Schwarzbier's I've had. Very clear, topped with moderate-retention, fluffy, golden-brown head. First smell to hit me was, in fact, alcohol. At first this surprised me, but then I recalled how light it was in color, body, and presumably grain bill, and then noticed how quickly this aroma left. After that, we have licorice, toffee, and general roastiness. On the palate, roast meat, licorice or similar herbs, bread, long-lasting metallic notes, light smoke, unfortunately minimal molasses and toffee. A lot here, but not enough of what I prefer (brown sugar, dark fruit, cocoa, coffee), too much of what I don't (never have been fond of licorice). Also, these flavors really don't interact well with the mouthfeel. Light-bodied, fizzes up quickly, giving it a decent gulpable quality, if nothing else. On the thinner side of this style, but honestly not unbearably so.

4.34/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Really nice. Didn't taste like a lager to me (which is a good thing in my book).

Slightly darker than a good British brown, but not as black as a Porter. The smell and taste are pure malt. Super sweet, but with enough hops to balance the sweetness out. Really, really nice!

3.82/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The roasty flavor greets the front of your palate but doesn't stick with you. The body is light with mild effervescence. Overall this is a nice, drinkable black lager that still seems just a bit underwhelming.

3.44/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

11 oz bottle. no bottling info

Pours a reddish cola body with a white head. Little retention or lacing (aggressive pour recommended )

A nice bready roasted malt. Somewhat prominent

Taste follows the smell. A slight bitter finish.

Feel was a little watery and thin

Overall; Not the best Schwarzbier I have ever had, but keeping in mind that this is a lower ABV (5.40) session beer... it's not bad !! At $9.99 a 12 pack it's a great value and worth buying again ! (and I will)

Yes it has nothing to do with the beer... But the inside of every bottle cap had a scissors. rock, or paper on it. It made me think of my college days ! (we didn't have beer pong then)

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

Sneaked a little stubby at Beard's 40th birthday party. Good dark lager, but a shame you get gyped out of half an ounce each bottle. Extra points for the stubby, though.

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

Another excellent beer from Full Sail. Surprisingly refreshing for a dark lager, but the strong toasty taste is there. My only complaint about it is if I drink more than one I get heartburn (It happens with all dark lagers, but this one is worse). But now that I never drink more than one of any individual beer on the same day it was welcomed back to my fridge.

1.44/5  rDev -61%
look: 5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I am a LOVER of dark beer. When I saw "Full-on Blackalishiousness" on the top of the box, I thought I had a real winner!!! This is not dark beer:( It's just light beer in a dark bottle. Why not put it in a goblet an call it wine? It's better than Old Milwaukee and Natural Light.
UPDATE: My wife likes this beer. She likes thinner tasting beers, however.

3.36/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Drank out of the bottle. Good session beer, so the name is fitting. Cool stubby bottle. A little heavier than the red Session ale but still very smooth. Toasted coffee and chocolate notes like a darker stout. Very drinkable. The old-fashioned stubby bottle is probably the biggest appeal to this brew.

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

This beer is wonderful!

I love black beers and this one is just amazing!

Fresh marker near me has 12 pack boxes for 11.59 so i picked up two for my fridge!

way more than worth a shot!

3.45/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is my first review of a schwarzbier. I can't say this one did much for me. Poured a black color without much head; nothing special to look at. Not much aroma; maybe a hint of medicine and booze which I wasn't crazy about. Taste was o.k., it was clean and smooth like a lager. Feel was good. Refreshing. I need to try other beers from this style.

Session Black Lager from Full Sail Brewing Company