Session Black Lager | Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

3.68/5
Alströms:

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

3.74/5  rDev +1.6%

I was actually surprised that I hadn't heard of Session before I tasted it. I just saw it on the shelf and decided to give it a shot without ever having been recommended this beer.

The bottles look definitely didn't entice me or give me the confidence to try it out, but my adventurous nature kicked in and I tried it.

I poured some in a glass, similar to how I like my Guiness Stout and it had a beautiful jet-black darkness to it. Holding it up to the light, I couldn't quite see through to the other side of the glass; instead it glowed with a reddish, dark caramel color. Upon sampling Session Black, very cold, from the glass, it was suprisingly very smooth and instantly made my palate happy

I was expecting a slight bitter taste like Guiness (I love Guiness), but it just wasn't there and I enjoyed that. I took a swig from the bottle and it tasted great, but I have a preference for the glass when drinking a black stout such as this. It didn't have as thick of a head as Guiness, but its richness was still evident.

I let my glass warm up to room temperature and then sampled the stout again and even at room temperature the taste was still good.

Even though it is somewhat average, I will definitely be buying this again. A bottle 12-pack costs about $15 in my area.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a semitransparent quite dark brown raising very minimal head that dissipates to a tan ring. Looks like flat cola. Aroma is roasty malt, molasses, licorice, and lettuce/brussels sprouts. Has a decent swarzbier taste, roasty malt with sweetish notes of molasses, licorice, coffee, dark chocolate followed by a leafy, lettucey hop character. A bit misnamed to me - I wouldn't session this; decent enough but nothing special.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Pours a very dark brown to black in color with ruby hints. The beer has a half finger tall beige head that reduces to a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate lacing is observed.

S: Some caramel malt notes, some biscuit notes, and some light hints of hops.

T: Nice roasted malt flavor with some caramel notes and some light biscuity hints. There is a light pleasant bitterness in the finsih.

M: Light to medium bodied. Slightly crisp.

O: This is a very enjoyable beer and definitely an easy one to drink. I could easily go through a couple of these in an evening.

Poured from bottle into 16oz goblet

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown/amber color with a fingers worth of off white head that dissipates rather quickly. Leaves no lacing behind whatsoever.

Smell: Some dark carmel notes are present, but for the most part the smell is dominated by a light biscuity malt scent.

Taste: Crisp and clean, with plenty of the roasted malt flavor, with some slight hop bitterness at the finish to even things out.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and light, pretty much par for the course for the style. Being a Lager there's not much there aside from some carbonation.

Overall: Pretty solid brew for the price, I picked a 12-pack up for $8.99. Perfect for beer hanging out with some friends and knocking back a few.

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured into a standard pint glass on 2/9/12. Absolutely delicious!

A - Pours a jet black (deep red when held up to light) with a small one finger, off-white head. Not much lacing, but the black color is really striking. I'm used to stouts and porters, but this is the first black lager I've ever had. 4.0

S - Strong smell of roasted malt and a teensy hint of aromatic hops. Some molasses/burnt sugar notes in the middle. 4.0

T - Delicious malty flavor supported by a slightly bitter backing. Subtle flavors of roasted malt, molasses and coffee come through in the middle. 4.5

M - Medium-bodied and highly carbonated. Tingles all over the tongue but doesn't dampen the flavor at all. 4.0

O - For the price of a (relatively) cheap 12-pack you get a wonderfully well-rounded and extremely drinkable beer. I bought this beer with low expectations and wound up loving it. Full Sail's Session series is exactly what the name implies; these are lovingly crafted beers that taste great but yet are light enough to drink as session brews and not get tired of them. I would HIGHLY recommend this beer to everyone who has yet to try it. For that reason, overall this gets a 4.5

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

interesting from a marketing standpoint, but i feel like im being cheated an ounce of beer here. smells bitter and roasty, like a cold cup of black coffee. flavor is malty and smooth, a touch of smoke, and just a hint of hops in there at the end. feel is nice, down really easy and still strong enough to warm you up on a chilly day. overall nothing special here, just as it says, a throw them back style session beer with a lot more to be excited about than a budlight or someother can of crap. not sure ill buy this again, but it serves it role.

3.82/5  rDev +3.8%

11oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Expiration date on the bottle is 10/28/11. No wonder it was $5.50 a twelve pack.

A: Pours a dark ruby that almost appears black. Thin off-white head. Still a clear beer with visible carbonation. Does leave some lacing on my glass.

S: Initial lager-alcohol smell. Comes around with some good dark chocolate notes. Roasted malt and some dark fruit smell.

T: Always been a fan of Schwarzbiers. Starts off with a chocolaty malt taste, hints of smokiness. Then transitions a little to more of a lager taste and finishes with more of a sweet chocolate. Can see some caramel and molasses if I look.

M: Would consider it a light-medium body. Lighter than you would expect for the color. Very drinkable. Good carbonation.

Overall been pleased with the session line-up. Most of the time they are well priced and always easy to drink. My favorite from the session line-up...for now.

Session Black Lager from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub