LTD Series - 04 | Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

good
good
Read the review
LTD Series - 04LTD Series - 04

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub
Oregon, United States
fullsailbrewing.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

"What do you get when you brew an elegant limited edition lager with one select barley? LTD 04, the single malt of beers! This brand new edition to our LTD Series is a finely balanced single malt, single hop, beer that is pale-golden in color and brewed with just pale malt and pleasantly hopped with just Willamette hops."

ABV 7% IBU 45

Added by IntriqKen on 12-14-2010

2.49/5  rDev -31.2%

Pours a clear light gold with a frothy head that dissipated at an average pace with some decent lacing.

Smells of stale grass clippings. This strong scent is a bit off-putting. Taste is a bit better, but I would put it on par with your BMC offerings. Tastes a bit bready without being sweet, aftertaste tends to linger. Despite it being a 7% with a light flavor profile, I couldn't pick up any alcohol in the taste.

Mouthfeel is somewhere between Bud and Bud Light.

I'm not impressed with the no. 4. To me it's like a high alcohol Bud.

2.62/5  rDev -27.6%

When I hear the word bock, my expectations are very high. There was nothing too exciting about this brew, however it goes down really smooth for 7% ABV.

2.69/5  rDev -25.7%

Listed as a single malt, single hop (Willamette) European lager on the box.

Pours a beautiful crystal-clear medium gold with a tall (2") white head of very tight bubbles that melts slowly leaving a lovely map in it's wake.

Aroma is slightly diacetyl (buttery) with a very slight soapiness.

Definitely "one malt, one hop". I didn't notice much complexity in the flavor. Still a bit of diacetyl, some chewy malt, then a finish of the willamette hops which adds slight bitterness but doesn't seem to create a balance. A warming alcohol feel follows the swallow all the way down to the tummy.

Mouthfeel is almost too thick...definitely very creamy and the carbonation feels very nice and does try to break up the creaminess a bit.

I'm almost sorry that I didn't pick up only one bottle rather than a 6 pack as I don't find this one overly enjoyable. A bit too much alcohol, a bit too thick in the mouth, and the hops continue to leave a slightly unpleasant taste in my mouth after the drink is gone. Many one hop beers do a wonderful job of showing off the hop character and making for a balanced drink even though only one hop is used.
To me, this one didn't.

2.72/5  rDev -24.9%

A: Pours an ultra-clear straw color with some massive head that fades slowly. Moderate carbonation.

N: Pale malts, grass and lemon.

T: Sweet pale malts with some slight biscuit and caramel notes, lemon grass and some light citrus.

M: Light bodied, crisp and clean.

D: Good drinkability. Very light and very clean.

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured into a Pint Glass

Appearance - Golden/Yellow straw color with a rather haze. Head pours around 1 finger in width and is very fizzy. Not much to speak of in terms of lacing

Smell - I'm getting sweet yeasts, barley and grassy notes. Also I'm getting some light Pilsner-like scents in here as well.

Taste - Light floral hops, sweet yeasts, barley and malts. It does taste a bit boozy upfront but it still tastes okay

Mouthfeel - Pretty light bodied with some rather intense carbonation. It sadly isn't the kind of beer that is crisp or refreshing to drink either.

Overall - It's an average tasting lager that's held back by an unbalanced flavor and an even more unbalanced palate feel. I wouldn't recommend buying this

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 2.5

I think the description of of this beer is wrong. It's not an American Pale Lager. Full Sail describes it as a Pale Bock. Definitely tastes like a Helles to me. In any case...

Drank a 12-ounce bottle poured into a tulip on 3/10/2013. Best buy date on the bottle is June 9th, 2013.

A: Extremely clear - what you would expect from a lager. Straw colored with a hint of amber. It's definitely a shade darker than a Pilsener. Head pours large, but dissipates rather quickly. Little to no head appears after 5 minutes.

S: Relatively mild aroma overall. Mild notes of grapefruit and lemon. I dont detect any grassiness as other reviewers noted, but I do detect some floral notes. Also detect the faintest hint of butter/diacetyl.

T: Wow - tastes bigger than it looks. Pronounced hoppiness with grassy and floral notes. Solid biscuit/malt base to support the IBUs. Also detect some unexpected honey notes. Unfortunately, I also get pronounced diacetyl flavors....butter mostly. The diacetyl lingers on the tongue.

M: Surprisingly big body. Low carbonation. Just based on mouthfeel, it's an easy-drinker.

O: Unfortunately, I dont think I'll be purchasing this beer again. It has a great appearance and an easy-drinking mouthfeel, but its taste leaves something to be desired. For one, it's too hoppy for a Pale Bock. Full Sail lists this beer as having 45 IBUs, which is just too high for the Bock style (which should be around 20-30 IBUs). If youre a hop-head, you'll like this rendition of the Bock style, but it's just too hoppy for me. Secondly, I get pronounced hits of butter/diacetyl flavors that just dont belong in this beer. The butter notes mixed with the hops isn't pleasing after the first few sips.

2.96/5  rDev -18.2%

Best by 04MAY12
Pours a yellow lager with little head production and anticipated clarity - excellent. (3) Smells of earthy hops with a hint of skunkiness. Not much going on the nose here, not impressed. (2) Flavor is interestingly grainy - theres a hint of what I can only describe as clam juice aftertaste mixed with a little wood. I’m not necessarily put off by this, alas, I keep taking another sip to see if I can’t dissect. Interesting. (3.5). Thin with moderate carb and a mouthwatering finish. (3). An interesting tasting beer, but not something I would recommend, but something I would certainly pair with a good cioppino or Manhatten clam chowder. (3)

2.97/5  rDev -18%

I generally enjoy a cold, Full Sail lager after an afternoon of yard work. But this brew is simply too boozy for a thirst-quencher. So, after my initial disappointment, I found a way to make it more drinkable:

Pour 1/2 bottle LTD #4 into a frosty pub glass, then add 1/2 bottle Full Sail Session Lager. You won't notice the alcohol nearly as much. And the flavors blend perfectly!

LTD Series - 04 from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub