Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve) | Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

good
good
Read the review
Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve)Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve)

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A Brewmaster Reserve release - Spring 2008

Added by sinistersteve on 02-25-2003

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Reviews: 149 | Ratings: 173
3.66/5  rDev +1.1%

A new beer from Full Sail. I have no idea if this is a limited brew or a seasonal brew. The color of the beer is a standard amber color. No real aroma emanated from the beer. The taste was hard to pin down. Sorta sprucy, sorta soapy, definately taste of alcohol. I guess the best way to put it is that it is 'bitter sweet'. Very thin head..even when the glass got bumped and not a bit of lace. Hard to say if I'll get this one again from the same pub. I may try it elsewhere and see if the 'soapy' taste returns or if the bottle version is any different also.

**Update** I did try this beer elsewhere and obviously the first place I tried this beer at does not take proper care of their beer lines. Tried this one at the Horse Brass Pub and there was not a bit of 'soapy' taste to it and there also wasn't a strong taste of alcohol either. Still a good beer though.

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

Hmm... I didn't really care much for anything about this brew, although I've had last years (2005) and thought it was better.

Overly pale for a beer its size. Very pale amber.

Citrusy hop nose, but very faint.

Extraordinarily unbalanced to the hops. Even for the style, this was way overloaded, to the point that the bitterness was astringent and cutting rather than crisp.

Because of the (lack of) balance, this tires the palate too much. It did mellow as it warmed, but not enough. Much better blend last year.

3.91/5  rDev +8%

22 oz bomber with slick orange/yellow label provided courtesy of skyhand - many thanks!

Pours a beautiful hazy amber with a perfect bubbly white head. Pleasant spicy fresh floral hops in the aroma, but considerably more subdued than I expected from the style. The taste is very complex & most unexpected. Nice malt backbone makes this enjoyably sweet, alcohol is evident along with flowery hops. Finish is mildly acidic with solid bittering & some fruitiness. Mouthfeel is full & crisp. To me, this is a very unique take on the style, not nearly as hoppy as I had expected or hoped for, but very complex & most definitely delicious.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

pours a clear golden orange in color with egg-shell white head.

aromas of grapefruit, pine, faint light malt

grapefruit upfront with solid piney finish, floral notes at the tail end as well with a little maltiness, albeit very light

smooth, light bodied, solid finish

a solid ipa, a bit more citrusy than i prefer but its smooth, tastes like an ipa should, and is a very enjoyable beer

3.35/5  rDev -7.5%

Clear, orange-hued amber with a small white head that diminishes to a thin layer. The aroma is hoppy, but not as hoppy as I would expect from an Imperial IPA (The Tsar is not pleased). The brew has a thick, full mouthfeel, but the taste is similar to the aroma -- good, hoppy, but somewhat lacking. This isn't even in the same league as the Pelican Imperial IPA that I reviewed recently, or the Rogue I2PA that I sampled last week. Drinkable, but in a "ho-hum" way. Overall, it's not bad, it just is a 90 pound weakling on the Imperial IPA beach.

2.01/5  rDev -44.5%

I don't know if I got a bad bottle or what. But I ended up dumping the last half of my 22oz bottle. I might have to try it again sometime, but some of the other low scores had similar thoughts as I.

A - Medium Gold, low head retention.

S - Sour hop, and B.O.? seriously. I had another person agree on that. So it was similar to being skunky but then add the sour and bitter of the hops.

T - One dimensional. Bitter. Acidic. Seltzer.

M - Finishes sour.

D - Didn't even finish it. And it pretty much blasted my palette so I couldn't enjoy anything else after.

3.33/5  rDev -8%

From Notes: 3/1/09
Full Sail Brewing Co.
Slipknot Imperial IPA
7.8% Alc.
22oz. Bomber

Appearance= Vigorous pour into Zaca Mesa oversize redwine glass. Good deep looking Imperial. Deep orange, Red/brown.

Smell= Good hoppy smell. Typical Imperial smell, just weaker.

Taste= Kinda harsh on the taste. Not bad, just interesting...Overall, I've had much better Imperials.

Mouthfeel= Typical Imperial feel. Pefect for the style.

Drinkability= Moving through the bottle with no problem. Can start to feel the alcohol. I bought this @ Whole Foods in San Ramon and I was surprised to see it there. Would not buy again.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

From a bomber into a New Belgium goblet. A vigorous poured yields a honey/orange ale with ample soapy head which momentarily fades down.

Cascade and Centennial hops dominate the nose with nearly equal measure earth, spice, citrus, and pine characteristics. A hint of malty sweetness manages to work it's way through, however.

Flavors are hop forward too; especially piney and spicey, with that sort of "soapy pine sol" like character. The malts relatively balance the beer, and although the hops linger, the bitterness they impart isn't thouroughly palate-wrecking. A bit of bready/yeastiness is also detected.

Mouthfeel is medium light for the style, amply carbonated and a bit grainy. Somewhat like a cracker that has dissolved in the mouth.

The ABV is low for a DIPA, still the cumulative effects of the hop bill would probably limit me to 22 oz. in one session and then I'd move on to something else.

A good, food friendly ale and a bargain at $3.49 locally.

4.82/5  rDev +33.1%

Appearance: Pours a golden, honey color with a one-finger just off-white head.

Smell: I could smell this beer before I held it to my nose to take a whiff. Sweet, grassy hop aroma with hints of alcohol and honey.

Taste: Fantastically smooth hop explosion. Very grassy, but also with a nice bitterness to it. Perfectly balanced with a nutty, sweet caramelly malt backbone. Alcohol is very well-hidden.

Mouthfeel: Unbelievably smooth for the style and ABV. Light-to-medium bodied and perfectly carbonated.

Drinkability: I can't think of anything to improve the drinkability. Goes down easy, very smooth and well-hidden alcohol combined with a great tasting hop festival in my mouth!

I am obviously quite impressed with this brew, another find on LiquidSolutions.biz. I wish I could find this around here because it would become part of the regular rotation. If you can get this in your area, I am very jealous of you.

3.31/5  rDev -8.6%

22 oz bomber from Bottleworks(!) in Seattle for $3.69. 2008 Brewmaster's reserve.

Poured very clear with a large foamy head. Caramel colored with some shades of amber. A thin layer of foam stays with minimal lacing. Overall solid looking.

Smell was lacking. Some piney hops, but they didn't exactly jump out. Something soapy too? Unimpressive.

Taste is a different story. Huge hop bitterness. A lemony flavor (think SA Summer) and also some sort of light fruit (banana?). Also a rye-like bite. Hops finish abrasively, the malt doesn't stand up.

Mouthfeel is nice and clean. A little hot for only 7.8%. Nice to drink, if you are a total hophead.

Overall too unbalanced to truly be successful. I would recommend pushing up the grain and bringing it up to around 9-10% to even it out some. Or maybe let this one sit down for a year. Good but not great.

2.48/5  rDev -31.5%

Picked up a bottle of Brewmaster Reserve 2010 at my local store.

A- Poured a strong copper color with a frothy white head that sticks around. Even after letting it sit for like 5 minutes it still has a strong half finger of head. There are bubbles that are constantly refueling the head which is pretty cool. Lacing looks to be promising. So far this is a good lookin' DIPA.

S- Right off the bat I get strong citric smells including the likes of grapefruit, orange peel, maybe a bit of lemon. I even got some banana going on there. So far a fairly typical DIPA in terms of smell.

T- Interesting... I am being hit on the palate by some unexpected bitter funk. It is almost like a weird mix of malt and hops. I can't really tell what it is but it definitely sticks around on the back of the tongue and mouth. It even kills the smells after drinking it. I kept this beer pretty cold, likely close to 35-40 degrees so I am gonna let it warm up a bit and continue.

...

After letting it sit for about 10 minutes or so, the taste has improved only slightly. There is still this weird funk that I just can't get a handle of and I am not enjoying too much.I have enjoyed many IPAs and IIPAs but this one just is not doing it for me in the taste.

M- Fairly high carbonation brings on a good bite with the strong bitterness. If only the bitterness didn't come with this weird funk.

D- I can't give this a very high rating here either given the taste. I really tried on this one and I will come out and say that IIPA is by far my favorite style but this one was just not that great overall.

1.96/5  rDev -45.9%

i find most full sail products to be good and i had last years version of the slipknot and remember it to be much better. So with that i give you my rating of this years version of slipknot
this is one of the first times that i really wasn't impressed with an imperial ipa. the appearance is a very light amber with some decent head retention and lacing that is about the best thing about this beer. the smell is of a very light amount of mildew grass. The initial taste is bad a small amount of bitterness but no distinct hop flavor and some malt sweetness. mouthfeel is light with a little bit of alcohol burn. drinkability to quote my wife "i'd rather have a mgd" coming from her that's bad, although i did finish the 22 oz bomber so i gave it a 2.5

4.15/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured into a chilled pint glass (in intervals).
Mostly clear, medium copper color with a foamy off-white head.
Smells of pine and kind buds, plus something sweet like a bisquit with white frosting.
Tastes of bitter grapefruit and some bready malt.
Medium body with decent carbonation and a bitterness (which must be from the hops) that stays with me but isn't overly oily.
Nice brew, I could sit back and enjoy one of these in almost any setting and just forget the hustle and bustle that beckons.

4.37/5  rDev +20.7%

Although I love beers that are competitively hoppy, I'm not always in the mood for "shock value". It seems Slipknot would be more accurately labeled as a Barleywine rather than IIPA. This is excellent beer! Looks good, smells good, and I could easily drink too much. Very well balanced between a citrusy hop bite and a slightly sweet malty background. When I say balanced I mean for an IIPA where usually it's hops hops hops. This bomber didn't last long.

3.47/5  rDev -4.1%

22 oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

Appears clean and clear, with a light amber hue and a good 2 finger head that quickly faded to a narrow band of off-white foam. No real lacing is noticeable.

Smells of citrus hops with some weak floral notes. Some hop dankness in there, a bit piney.

The taste is dominated by hops, strong on the citrus flavors. Hops, hops and more hops assault the taste buds. A little bready in the middle, the only real malt characteristic to come through in this brew. A bitter hop after-bite….you can really feel this one on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability is just ok. Not necessarily due to the high ABV, but more the flavor. Seems a little one-dimensional. I didn’t find this beer to be very complex, perhaps I just prefer my Imperial IPA’s with a deeper malt backbone and better balance. I wouldn’t drink more than one in a sitting. However, as a side note, I found last year’s offering to be a better brew. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to review it.

4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

2006 Brewmaster Reserve Sampled on 1-24-06

Appearance: Very transparent amber color with a generous white head that dissipates quickly, but leaves a thin white layer. Very clear and free of sediment and debris. Looks appetizing.

Smell: Very malty with a hint of orange. Much sweeter smelling than I expect an IPA to be, but as this is a double, I don't really know what to expect. Slightly yeasty, but still appealing.

Taste:The first thing I notice is a very nice herbal hops taste with a bittering that stays in check with the slightly toasty malt flavor. I don't think I have ever had quite as tasty a brew. This, in my opinion would go exceedingly well with herbal Italian dishes, spicy Thai or Indian food, Sushi (when using wasabi...) or pretty much anything worthy of a good beer.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is apparently in a relatively thin liquid as the carbonation mostly left with the pour, but this also helps to keep the drink from being cloying and sticking to the mouth. This has a similar consistency to a tea but will kick up a little carbonation if agitated by pressing the tongue to your palate. Much drier than I am used to beer being.

Drinkability: I really like this, but it is a special beer which I will save for special occasions. This wouldn't be a great session beer because of the alcohol content and the fact that I want to just savor it.

4.63/5  rDev +27.9%

I picked-up this bottle of 2009 Slipknot at Marcellars. Holy good Double IPA. This one was a bit on the light side in appearance; it was not ultra cloudy like I expected. It poured with a nice and heavy head that stuck for a while which I didn't expect since it's an imperial. Very very tasty and not too hoppy, but a solid IPA. Very drinkable. Typically I'd have a lawn mower brew when doing some work in the yard and bbq'n, but I went with this one. I needed something decent to open for the first time using my new wall mounted bottle opener in my bar;) This was a great choice! Maybe a longer story that would be appropriate here because it includes a visit w/my pops in Salt Lake City earlier in the day and it was Easter. I returned to Idaho earlier in the day so that my sone and I could enjoy the day at home together. A perfect afternoon; weather and all! So...my notes report "mmm." Tasty with noticeable malts which seem to get run over too often in Imperial IPA's. Give this one a shot. It drinks smooth and fast if you're not careful to remember that it's got punch to it. Pretty light and smooth ride though. I did follow it up with H2O, but moved on to another brew before too much time passed; in other words, it didn't knock me into never never land;) Cheers!

An afterthought here. I just posted my review and then read a couple of others reviews. I bet that I scored this sucker a bit high, but hola! I'm not sure if I had the same brew as some of the other reviewers. This beer, at least in the condition that I got mine in, was a very solid brew; I can see anyone really honestly giving it marks lower than a B. Anyway...just wondering WTF;) Peace!

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: Straw, semiopaque. Fluffy, beige head, great lace.
Smell: Spicy hops, pine, yeast, malts.
Taste: Grapefruit rind, biscuits. Little bit of sweet malts, little bit of a spicy finish.
Mouthfeel: Tannic, medium bodied, strong carbonation
Drinkability: Pretty good. Finishes dry, not metallic.
Verdict: I could use a little more booze and sweetness. Certainly worth picking up, but not the best in the style.

Edit: Apparently this took a gold in the 2008 World Beer Championship. If your taste is better than mine, you may love this.

1.69/5  rDev -53.3%

Probably one of the worst Double IPAs I've ever tasted. Split this with two friends and it was a drain pour for everyone.

A: It starts out well. Decent appearance, light orange color with a one finger head that fades very fast.

S: Nose is pretty weak. Some hop smell, but a very biscuit-like nose on this one.

T: Horribly bitter and not in a good Hopsickle kind of way No real hop flavor, not much malt backing, just an onslaught of unpleasant bitterness. What the hell did they do to this beer?

M: The body is pretty light on this one, so I guess that makes it drinkable if you're into this kind of brew.

D: Couldn't finish a third of the bottle. We'll leave it at that.

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured 1/2 a bomber into my pint glass. This beer looked ok. Not much of a head but there was decent lacing and it had a reddish amber color. Smelled fruity and tasted more like an IPA than an IIPA. Mouthfeel and drinkability were good. I could drink a few of these before I got sick of it.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Bomber into a 22 oz. Weizen glass.

A -- Medium orange amber color with a tinge of golden hue and crystal clarity. A nice 1 finger white head that fades after a spell.

S -- Crisp piney citus hops in the nose! What a joy to get a distinct nose of hoppy goodness!

T -- Bitter hops with a warming alcoholic bite that mutes into a malt character, and then lingers with Joyous hop bitterness. A nice change to get an Imperial with such powerful hops instead of abundant malt character. It seems a conservative Double/Imperial but what a fine specimen!. Not a mysterious flavor depth brew, but the hop spice tingle goes straight to your balls and I would imagine ovaries if you are a chick. My wife refused to admit the fallopian sensation, but I caught her drift none the less.

M -- More conservative offerings here, but a Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball starter can put you wise to any questions regarding a beer's legitmacy...

D -- Very light affects considering the sizable 7.8 ABV! Maybe a shot of Crater Lake vodka would bring her together!

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Yet another courtesy of woody. Much appreciated.

Poured an opaque amber with decent head which faded to a nice ring.

Smells primarily of hops--duh.

Very smooth for a DIPA. A slight bit bitter around the edges of the tongue, but not too strong.

Tasted primarily of hops, though it had enough of a malty flavor that it balanced well.

With a very nice, smooth finish, I could drink several of these.

A good example of what a DIPA could be.

3.79/5  rDev +4.7%

This beer poured a nice golden-orange color with a decent layer of foam. The viscosity of the beer could be seen in the CO2 bubbles rising slowly to the top. The beer is quite clear - possibly a bit light for the style I believe, but I personally love the color. The beer has a decent hop aroma, but not a whole lot going on. Nothing that really yells Double IPA. Slightly citrusy and sweet. The viscosity of the beer can be felt immediately with the first sip, and the beer sits on the tounge nicely, perfect carbonation. It seems well balanced (for a double IPA) and the hop profile works well. Not extremely bitter at the end and the beer actually passes down the gullet smoothly. The alcohol level is apparent but definitely not overwhelming.

1.8/5  rDev -50.3%

While not a huge fan of IPA's I have tried several I've enjoyed. While drinking this several nights ago I only got about three tastes of it and could not keep it down. I ended up regurgitating the three sips back into the glass. I have never tasted anything so bitter in my life. The worst beer I have ever tried to drink. If you like seeing what you ate for dinner that night after it's been in your stomach for a couple hours, this beer is for you.

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Slipknot Imperial IPA (Brewmaster Reserve) from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub