Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Nut Brown Ale (Pub Series) | Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Nut Brown Ale (Pub Series)Nut Brown Ale (Pub Series)
3.63/5
Good
Nut Brown Ale (Pub Series)Nut Brown Ale (Pub Series)

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub
Oregon, United States
fullsailbrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by mactrail on 12-20-2012

3.5

3.72/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

12oz bottle with the best by date conspicuously absent. Glad to see other reviews so I know it ain't old as balls.

Very dark, clear amber. Smell is light grain, fruit. taste is musty and dusty like most full sail beers, but with a killer finish of roasted hazelnut and burnt leaves. feel is light and maybe overcarbonated.

this is a perfect beer for fall

3.32/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Deep chestnut brown with red highlights. Has 1/2 a finger of head that dissipates quickly. Excellent clarity and low-moderate carbonation.

Nose
Hazelnut and caramel with touches of chocolate and brown sugar.

Taste
Overripe plum and red grape. Brown sugar with touches of hazelnut and caramel. Hints of earthy roast in the finish.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, crisp, clean and somewhat dry.

Overall
Sweet notes of dark fruit that dry up with a roasty bitterness. I would prefer to see more of a nutty/chocolaty character. It's aaiiiggghht.

3.47/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Full Sail Nut Brown Ale has a thick, off-white head and a clear, somewhat bubbly, red-brown appearance, with a little bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is faint, but the drinker can pick up some subtle brown bread crust and sweetness, however, there really isn’t a lot there. Taste is of the same, with some sweetness an acceptable bitterness, and maybe some brown bread crust. Mouthfeel is light and watery (like lager), and Full Sail Nut Brown Ale finishes semi-dry, refreshing, and rather boring. Oh, it’s a very good beer, but for the price, one could do better with Icehouse, for instance, a beer that has a fuller, bolder presentation. Another example of a craft beer that makes the case for macro-lager.

RJT

3.57/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Enjoy by 6/1/13.

Pours a clear super dark crimson-brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Foamy swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt, caramel, and some subdued nutty aromas. Taste is much the same with toast and nutty flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is fairly basic but easy to drink.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

There was unabashed, unrestrained joy in my heart when it was recently imparted to me that Full Sail was coming to PA, tempered only by my supposition that it would all be relegated to the Philthadelphia market and none would be seen where SEPTA does not run. Like Joe Namath upon winning SBIII, I was elated to be proven wrong! Elated, ya hear me? I was also elated when I dated Elaine until she heard about me and Eta and then I was delighted to break it off and take up with Delilah. You get the idea. The wife of one of my many friends (I know, hard to believe that I have friends, but I pay them handsomely and regularly, so it all works out) came up to me last night, unbidden, and started gushing about how she loves this new dark beer in little stubby grenade bottles. I had to laugh and told her that although Full Sail has existed for a while, they just recently made like Chris Columbus and "discovered" PA. Welcome, Full Sail and may you never forsake us as Three Floyds, Pretty Things and Rolling Rock have seen fit to do! Don't get me wrong - I love(d) them all and would be ecstatic to see them return, but for now, we are on the outs.

To get into one of their bottles, the crown cap reads, "Tools Required". I went over to the local frat house to see if they could help me, but they bristled at being labeled "Tools". I then consulted the Interweb and discovered that they were referring to the Six Basic Tools of Man, in this case, the Lever and the Fulcrum. I employed a coin as a Wedge between the two and Voila! an open bottle was before me.

From the bottle: "Limited Edition"; "FS Pub Series"; "Available for 90 days only".

I initially had a finger of light-brown head, but it quickly fell away to wisps. Color was a deep brown with ruby highlights and NE-quality clarity. Nose had both a walnut/chestnut nuttiness along with an underlying pininess. I used to dislike this style as it could be too malty for me, but now everybody is cutting sweetness with hops. Good on ya, lads! Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was riotous in a good way - chocolate, smoke, mint, freshly mown grass, chestnuts. This may be one of the best Browns that I have ever tasted! Finish was a semi-sweet dark chocolate with a lingering smokiness followed by a breathtakingly refreshing mintiness.

This beer was CRAP! Don't waste your $$$! Leave it all on the shelf for me!

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz into a pint glass.

A: light head formation and retention. Nice deep amber body with good clarity and red undertones.
S: aroma is soft with a good bit of nutty attributes. Hop presence is very low with a hint of saaz like spice.
T/M: the taste parrells the aroma with low amount of hop bitterness and spicy noble aroma. A malt forward presence is found and quite suitting for the style. Mouthfeel is nice and light with a low FG, making this very digestable.
O: really good brew and for the price a nice light nut brown. I would prefer a bit more sugar on the back end making it a slightly heavier brew.

3.54/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is clear but very dark reddish brown in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high dense beige head that gradually died down, leaving a thin head covering the surface and a coating of bubbles down the sides of the glass.
S: Light to moderately strong aromas of nutty malts are present in the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste is dominated by flavors of nutty malts and also has some notes of chocolate malts and hints of roasted malts.
M: It feels light-bodied and rather smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink and delivers a nice nutty taste without having any sweetness.

Nut Brown Ale (Pub Series) from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub