Brewer's Share Vendell's Veizen (Weizen Bock) | Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

good
Read the review
Brewer's Share Vendell's Veizen (Weizen Bock)Brewer's Share Vendell's Veizen (Weizen Bock)

Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

3.5

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 32 | Ratings: 68
4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

Deep clear chestnut color with a half finger head that dies rather quickly. Very strange nose of herbal hops, anisette, faint licorice, hearty grainy toasted bread.

Taste is much better than the nose with one of the best finishes i've had in a beer. Tastes like your classec weizen bock up front, prickling carbonation clean wheat malt rolls into chocolate and toasted grainy bread. Finishes with an underlying hop bitterness and extremely clean with the faint kiss of alcohol. Wonderfully complex grainy and toasted bread flavor linger in the mouth nicely, almost tannin like in quality. A really great beer. And another great example from full sail of how clean dark lager styles such as bocks should be.

3.07/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a dark golden amber/copper color with mahogany edges and a two finger off-white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Spotty lacing left behind.

Slightly smokey, roasted malt aroma with peppery spice, earthy hops and bready yeast. More robust than what's typical for the style. Hints of pepper and clove followed by banana, bread, chocolate, caramel and toffee but there's also a burnt dark malt presence as well as a resinous hop presence. These extra elements are interesting but overpower what I like most about the style.

Medium bodied with a flavor profile that's very similar to the aroma. The roast character is toned down a bit but it's still slightly smokey and more dry/acrid than I expected. Hints of dark chocolate, oatmeal and dry, burnt toast followed by hints of peppery clove, banana bread, caramel and toffee. The ABV is well masked and its easy to drink, but I just wish thre was some more sweetness for balance. I appreciate the more robust, hoppier take on the style, but I prefer the more traditional take on the style.

3.85/5  rDev +10%

Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a reddish coppery amber with a half finger fine light tan head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of bready malt, light toasted malt and an unusual herbal spiciness. Flavor follows with toasted, caramel and biscuit malt, hints of dried dark fruit, light grassy hops. Finish is biscuit malt and grassy hops. Medium bodied with a pleasant creaminess. The taste leans more towards a malty amber ale than a weizenbock, but I really like the combination of malt flavors in this and the balance from start to finish.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

I poured this reddish amber beer into a half liter glass and the tan head stuck around for some time. I am a fan of this style having enjoyed others of this type. Full Sail does a good job here I think, actually it is brewed by my new friend Wendell. Yes it smells a little boozy but the taste does not overly reek of alcohol. Some tropical fruit on the tongue and malt backbone pair up well. For myself, I paired this with a Cohiba Maduro 5 Magico. I couldn't ask for more.

3.27/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dark amber body with a fizzy, one-finger thick head. Aroma "bright" with a subtle doughy cookie scent hovering in the background. Faint roasted grains in the flavor combines with an overall metallic twang, perhaps just a weird combination of hop bitterness and ABV. Medium bodied with a clean, crisp, dry finish.

I kept flipping between a 3.0 and 3.25 for the taste on this one. One sip seemed okay; somewhat malty and decently flavored; the next sip harsh and metallic with a schizoid balance. Ultimately, it seemed the malt flavors won out in the long run. Still, the other components seemed weak and unbalanced overall. I also though alcohol came across too "boozy". So, I'm not saying this is a bad beer as such, just a rather odd one...

2.56/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

22oz : tulip

Pours a clear, dark mahogany with a creamy off white head that dissipates fairly quickly to leave a thing foam and light lacing.

The aroma and taste are both more subdued than I would like. I'm having a tough time grading this, as the taste is not unpleasant, it is just a fairly generic malty, beer base.

Mouthfeel is medium+ bodied with mild carbonation.

I rated the aroma and taste low because I found them to be quite one dimensional with some caramel malt and faint alcohol notes, but overall it was an average beer in that the taste was not unpleasant, but also not enjoyable.meh.

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I just want to start off by saying I poured this in the incorrect glass (snifter) but I didn't have a Weizen Glass so what ya gonna do.

"Enjoy By: August 2013"

A: It pours beautifully, dark burgundy color, completely clear, with great head and carbonation.

S: The alcohol on the nose is far greater than any 7% beer I've ever had, it's really rather overpowering. I would say it's almost rum like, kinda spicy, dark ripe fruit, with a hint of caramel. Seriously difficult to get anything beyond this alcohol heat.

T: The taste is much less bozzie than I thought it would be given how powerful the smell was...it's still there, just not as noticeable as I anticipated. You get the flavors that were present in the nose, dark ripe fruits and caramel. Has a little bit of a molasses character to it. Starts off with a lot of malt/wheat sweetness and finishes with a fair amount of bitterness.

M: The mouth feel is a bit heavier than most lagers, but I wouldn't say it's creamy or thick at all. Perfect amount of carbonation. I found that the bitterness that it ended with made my mouth salivate for more.

O: One of the better Lagers I've had, would like to try this in a more appropriate glass and see if there is any difference. I paid $4.99 for a bomber of this, so it's a great deal and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Brewer's Share Vendell's Veizen (Weizen Bock) from Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub