Full Sail IPA | Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-27-2001

Ratings: 1,440 |  Reviews: 563
2.95/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured 12oz bottle into Saint Arnold pint glass

A- Golden/orange color with 2 fingers of fluffy white head. Lots of lacing.

S- Lots of piney hops aroma

T- Lots of piney bitterness and grapefruit taste that lingers.

M- Light to medium body and some nice dryness.

O- A decent IPA. Lots of hop bitterness without a lot of malt backbone to balance it out. Worth a try.

3.11/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a little less than a one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is pretty much completely white. It's a pretty standard looking head, somewhat fluffy, not too creamy, a little soapy looking. The lacing looks like it will be nice, but we'll have to see how that goes as I get to the bottom of the glass. Head retention isn't all that great, the head is pretty much gone now, but it has left a very nice amount of foam on top of the body. The body is just a hair away from looking like a lager. It's pretty much just completely yellow, with a little bit of orange in it. Pretty much completely see through too, very light color, and not cloudy at all. The carbonation looks low-medium. Overall...not a very good looking beer, the body is pretty bad any way you slice it. The head wasn't terrible, and we'll see how the lacing goes, but it's still not great in that area either. The smell is...man, as mediocre as the appearance. It smells like a pale ale, and a weak one at that. I get some sour malts, also some decent medium malts. A tiny bit of hops of the nose. I mean....this really smells absolutely nothing like an IPA, there are almost no hops, and the aroma all around is just ridiculously small. I mean there just isn't anything to talk about with this beer, no citrus, no pine, no floral notes. It's so freaking BORING. I mean it's not a bad smelling beer, but it's not like....good, and it's boring as all hell. This beer deserves a 3 for smell, but I'm going to give it a 2.5 because I am so offended that they could even call this an IPA (at least the smell). Well the taste is slightly better. The biggest difference are the hops, this isn't an IPA, it shouldn't be called an IPA, it's almost insulting that they call this an IPA. Still, there are more hops than there were on the smell. I mean...it's almost like it could be an IPA, but then they watered it down like no other, I dunno. It has that IPA taste, but pretty watery, and not enough hop flavor for it to be an IPA. The malts are sour, mostly medium malts, not a huge contributor to the beer, but I guess they are there non the less. The more I drink this beer the better it's tasting actually...I'm officially confused. There isn't really any citrus, pine, or floral notes, maybe a tiny bit of citrus, but that's it. It's not a bad tasting beer now that it's growing on me. I was originally going to give it a 3 for taste, I'm going to give it a 3.5, but it's BARELY making that grade, I mean BARELY. Overall not a bad taste. The mouthfeel isn't too great, really a highly carbonated beer, way too high for the style. On top of that the body is pretty dang thin and a little watery. A 3 is pretty generous. The drinkability isn't bad, it's somewhat low ABV, it's light, and it's tasty enough that it's not hard to drink at all. Overall this isn't a bad beer, and maybe it deserves better than a 3 overall, but it's not going to get it, because the taste just barely got a 3.5, and the mouthfeel and smell were definitely not above a 3. Not a bad beer, but a pretty bad interpretation of an IPA. It has PLENTY of areas that could be improved a whole lot.

The appearance turned out to be not that bad. The lacing followed me pretty far down the glass, almost to the bottom. The body was pretty horrible, and the head wasn't that great at all. A 3.5 is generous, but what the heck, the lacing was nice.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

2.09/5  rDev -41.1%

Served in a pint on tap @ Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse

A- Pours a bright gold color.

S- Very faint hop aroma.

T- Contrary to other reviews I've read, it was NOT very hoppy, but was dry and not overly bitter. No lingering tastes. Frankly quite boring.

M- Low carbonation (maybe an old keg?)

O- Not a very satisfying beer. Not an IPA with much bite, hops, or flavor.

Served this 12 oz. brown bottle in a Sam Adams glass. No date, but coded 022412. The body was bright gold and clear. The white head persisted a while.

The smell was leafy, fresh grains, and clean.

The taste was caramel malt and crisp hops. Coarse, raspy, as spicy. Slightly drying. Well constructed, simple but solid. I will definitely seek this one out again.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied and it had a smoothness that finished a bit coarse.

3.13/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into a Kwak glass. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a bright gold color with a 1/4 inch head that retains well but has very little lacing.

S- Smells a bit funky and has no discernible hop/malt aroma. Searching for a wet cardboard taste if it may be a case of oxidation, but I'm not finding one. A strange-smelling beer indeed.

T- Dry, fruity hops but not overly bitter or flavorful for that matter. Malt is hardly there. Easy to drink but not very fun to drink. Has a unique smell and flavor as I sip but nothing that pushes my buttons.

M- Medium carbonation. Dry mouthfeel. Slight alcohol burn.

O- I don't know if it's the hops that were used, the lack of malt or if my palate is just used to heavier flavors but I was kind of bored by this one. First Full Sail I've ever had and all I have to say is "Eh."

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%