Scotch Stout | Cornelius Pass Roadhouse & Imbrie Hall (McMenamins)

3.88/5
1 Rating

Cornelius Pass Roadhouse & Imbrie Hall (McMenamins)
Oregon, United States
mcmenamins.com

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by 1whiskey on 01-24-2007

Reviews by 1whiskey:
3.88/5  rDev 0%

On tap @ Cornelius Pass Roadhouse. A Scotch Stout? I'm excited.

The nitro pretty much gave it a typical nitro head. This is coffee colored (not black), and it's not opaque either. Looks pretty watery for a stout.

Smells of peat smoke, toasted grains and goldings hops. I'd love to smell this without the nitro.

Dark roasted coffee, chocolate, caramel, and more of that great smoked peat flavor burst upon your palate. This imparts a lot more flavor than it's weak appearance would suggest. Most of the flavor is upfront, as this does lack a strong malt body to give it balance. In fact, thats my only real complaint here, the body is pretty thin. It finishes with some sweet caramel notes and a pleasant sourness not unlike that of Guiness.

Mouthfeel is pretty watery, and any carbonation was muted by the nitro. It is quite quaffable, and I will be back for more.

Mad River Scotch Porter is one of my favorite beers, and it's not distributed to Oregon. So I was pretty excited to see a "Scotch" stout. McMenamins nailed the "Scotch" flavor with the and caramel and smoked peat, but the thin, watery body left me wondering how good this beer could have been. It's potentially great, but as is it's still good and a definate must try.

Scotch Stout from Cornelius Pass Roadhouse & Imbrie Hall (McMenamins)