Capricorn | Rubicon Brewing Company

None found.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

3.02/5  rDev -6.2%

Consumed 01/29/09 at Blue Palms, Hollywood, CA.

This is Rubicon's entry into the emerging "black IPA" style. See also: Stone XI (aka Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale) and Pizza Port Warrior IPA.

Virtually black beer, tan/off-white head less than a finger tall. Sticky lacing lasts and lasts.

Sadly (for an IPA of any kind), no aroma.

Flavor is more like a porter than an IPA, due perhaps to the fact that this is an IPA blended with porter (from what I was told by the folks representing the brewery who were at Blue Palms this night). Overall, there's not really much IPA flavor at all. There is a smallish chocolate malt note. Fairly strong bitterness on the finish; I couldn't identify any kind of hop character aside from that.

The beer is dry, with some tongue parch in evidence.

I'm not a fan of this beer and, while I did finish the glass without difficulty, I don't think I'll be ordering this one again.

Capricorn from Rubicon Brewing Company