Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Tooler's Weiss | Herkimer Pub & Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Herkimer Pub & Brewery
Minnesota, United States | website

Style: Hefeweizen

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by tavernjef on 08-30-2003

Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 7
Reviews by sonata2008:
3.45/5  rDev +2.4%

The server said the ABV was about 5.2%.
A: The beer was served in a 22 oz. glass. About two fingers width of ivory, cream colored foam. Quite a bit of lacing. Cloudy. Amber colored.
S: Fairly strong banana and cloves in the aroma. Some yeast, the unfiltered kind.
T: Interesting. The banana and clove flavors are not nearly as pronounced in the taste as they are in the aroma. A definite fruit flavor. The aftertaste was unremarkable.
MF: Pleasant level of carbonation. Light mouth feel.
D: It's pleasant, but in my opinion, not as enjoyable as some of Herkimer's other beers. But still, I would order it again.

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

On-tap at the brewpub. $6.50 for a tall weizen glass. Overall, this beer had a lot of the right elements, but there's was an acidic flaw in the flavor and feel, and the flavors just didn't come together as well as other hefes. The cloves were too earthy and didn't come together with the sweet and smooth banana. Still, this is by no means a bad hefe and I wouldn't mind drinking another next time I'm at the Herk and it's a hot summer day.

4.45/5  rDev +32%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer came a creamy orange and gold with a thin film of head that left some nice lace.

Smelled of a great creamy yeast and doughy wheat. These were marvelously blended together with a hint of lemon thrown in.

Tastes of a dry creamy wheat with a pasty banana and a sweet doughy yeast. In the finish, a little citrus and clove make themselves known.

The mouth feel is light to medium bodied with a light and tingly carbonation.

This was exceptionally solid for the style. I feel confident in saying I think this is one of the best hefes I’ve had in America.

3.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hazy cloud of pale yellowed color with a small white head that fades to a skim always present with some sticking thin sheets of lace. Smell is very dull lemon with some beneficial clove and banana ester unveiling some complexity. Taste is pretty solid amount of dull/pale lemon and banana, some light wheaty texture with some clove coming in near the finish. A bit short lived but not lacking a good hefe body of medium build and carbonation. Mellowing easy finish. Pretty decent hefe, refreshingly easy, right on par, just not thrilling enough or punctuated with a lasting zip that a good or great hefe has. Perhaps the best of the mix of the Herkimer brews. Which ain't saying a whole lot, but its worth something I guess.

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Bright yellow...no head....mild banana on the nose...light banana and tart lemons on the taste...mouthfeel is medium...spritzy...

OK..drinkable...no off flavors...seeems very dumbed down...wouldn't purchase again...This place is out of the way for me and to get me to visit again it will need to amp up the taste on this one...

3.1/5  rDev -8%

My first brew from this pub, in spite of that fact that they're not far away, and despite that no one's ever said anything good about them...I begin my efforts with the only non-lager available.
Served in a tallish, cylindrical vessel, didn't seem like a pint, though..(further research pegs it as a 13.5 ounce glass).Cloudy, thick orange color, big, white head that drifted down, but remained as a ring around the top throughout...nose is banana, and spice, and a bit of citrus, with yeast aplenty..."banana cream pie" all the way...this rebounded in the taste, thick and present, with a touch of weizen texture, lemony, yeasty, tangible, ...to a point...The brew quickly took a downturn as the mouthfeel bottomed out and the flavor largely quit. Didn't seem to bother anyone else, but I couldn't help the sad, lost feeling that came over me when my beer's taste just up and quit on me.
The rest of the glass held no further pleasure, and on returning from a rest-room visit, I contemplated leaving the unfinished glass behind as I went on my way...but, when I went up to the bar, the beer, as well as the tip, was gone! (although my coat and bag was still there.) How did she know? That's what I call service!
I'll return to see if their lagers are any better...

Tooler's Weiss from Herkimer Pub & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.