Alt | Herkimer Pub & Brewery

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Herkimer Pub & Brewery
Minnesota, United States | website

Style: Altbier

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by ADR on 08-24-2005

Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 14
Reviews by Deuane:
3.76/5  rDev +15.7%

On tap at the brew pub. A 2007 GABF Gold Medal winner.

A-Clear, copper with a thin off-white head.

S-Malty caramel sweetness and that is about it.

T-Malty profile with a good hoppy bite. Nicely balanced. Surprisingly flavourful altbier...nice.

M-Medium bodied, crsip and well rounded.

D-Certainly quaffable. Again, I am not the biggest lager guy but I would not turn my hop loving, ale nose up at this one!

3.41/5  rDev +4.9%

On-tap at the brewpub. Ordered with a basket of their sweet potato fries. I recommend you do the same.

They describe this as akin to an APA and I agreed. The hops dominate without going to IPA lengths and there's a mellow malt background. In the aroma especially, the hops smell like weed and burning leaves, which is understandable, but not necessarily expected. The flavor follows up with a similar herbal, grassy bitter kick. For fans of noble/Euro hops, this is definitely a beer to try.

4.25/5  rDev +30.8%

On tap at the Herkimer. This beer arrives a brown color. The head is a frothy two inches of foam that recedes slowly leaving sticky lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma is of caramel, toffee, and mild dark fruit. The taste is similar to the aroma with some nice malt complexity. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a velvety texture, and moderate carbonation. Overall, this is a good beer that I would drink again.

2.11/5  rDev -35.1%

Beer#2 in my quest to try all the herkimer beers.

Served in a plastic cup, buzz kill.

Served with a small layer of off white tan head. Beer was almost to the top of the cup so not a lot of head space. Color was a copper brown, with a decent level of clarity.

Aroma: Fairly malty with some grassy hops. A caramel malt profile with some sweetness. Not a lot going on here. A bit weak for an alt.

Taste: Pretty much like the aroma. Sweet caramel malts with grassy noble hop types. However, it has the signature herkimer off flavor in the background. It isn't as noticeable here, but I can pick it up.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and bland. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry.

Overall, I think I could find a much better alt than this. It just doesn't have a big taste to it. Fairly boring. It is somewhat drinkable, but I would much rather grab something else.

2.1/5  rDev -35.4%

Draft. Now, I am not a big fan of The Herkimer or their beer but I was there again and after drinking 3 glasses of water I broke down and got a beer. I guess it deserves a couple chances, right? So I go for the Alt. Pours a reddish tan copper color with minimal head. The aroma is pretty underwhelming. Some malt notes and a touch of hops. The taste is really subpar as well. Starts with a sweetness and transitions to a somewhat bitter finish. What gets me is an offputting ending taste in the mouth after. Medium mouthfeel. Overall, not very good.

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

I don't like to make a fuss about tap beers and their quality of pour/head, and certainly not at a place like The Herkimer where they do their best to pour you a full 16oz glass.

Its a coppery color, that leaves good lace, there was a decent head, but my tender filled the glass to the top, not leaving much space. Smelled like malt, and a touch of noble hops, grassy, herbal and mild. Not bitter, but a good amount of hop flavor. Full bodied with a good level of carbonation, making it very fresh tasting.

This beer is probably the best of The Herkimer's offerings, and it kept me warm on my bike ride home.

3.47/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My second sampling (I'd say "pint", but that doesn't apply) at my second visit to this not- too far-flung brewpub.

Clear, coppery appearance, slim head, soon gone.

Malty aroma, caramel-toned, herbal a bit, interesing, nonetheless...

Taste: crisp and credible, snappy and succinct, with a good hoppiness, well-matched by malt, while still dominant on the tongue. Fairly forward fruit, mostly apple and citrus, a vibrant flavor, but not too boisterous.

Medium bodied, quenching, taste just big enough, and, though my knowledge of alts is unfortunately limited, this seems a decent version.

Not bad, but I kept to my seat firmly, and felt no need to jump for joy, or any other reason...

Alt from Herkimer Pub & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.