Sky Pilot | Herkimer Pub & Brewery

Herkimer Pub & Brewery
Minnesota, United States
theherkimer.com

Style: Kellerbier / Zwickelbier

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by KarlHungus on 07-27-2007

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -10%

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

3.67/5  rDev +1.7%

A- Pours meddium golden. Head retention is decent at a slick. Some lacing.
S- Aroma is a pleasing fresh noble hop character. Fresh with a light spicyness.
T- A bit of bready sweetness, with a good balancing hop earthyness. I would like the hops to stay a little longer, but otherwise it's good flavors.
M- Medium body, maybe a little fuller than the average in the style. Carbonation is medium low.
O- A decent beer, but there are others at this place I would try ahead of it.

4.18/5  rDev +15.8%

This beer arrives a cloudy bright golden color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes slowly into nice lacing that lasts until the beer is gone. The aroma is a nice balance of freshly baked bread, porridge, and grassy hops. The taste is more assertive in the hop department, but the bready malt is still very noticeable. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a velvety texture, and lively carbonation. Overall, this is a good beer that I will surely drink again. It is interesting without being over the top, and I appreciate that.

3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

Note: The server said the ABV is about 5.8%.
A: Cloudy, dark yellow. About a finger width of ivory foam. Nice lacing.
S: Yeasty aroma. Like a new beer that's not been aged quite enough.
T: Malt, yeast flavors. The hops flavor was European, somewhat sharp and bitter.
MF: Thin. No body to speak of. Good carbonation, not overly carbonated.
D: Very drinkable. Enjoyable.

3.7/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had this one as the third beer I ordered for a late lunch at the Herk one fine evening.

A hazy yellow golden color with a thin white head. The head is about one finger in width and has some decent retention. Does leave some nice lacing around the glass.

The nose is very light and enticing. I get bready malts and a nice sweetness, with the lightest of hop characteristics.

Taste is sweet malts with a bigger than expected hop presence. From the nose, I wasn't expecting this much hop action in the taste department. It's not overpower, just noticeable, while it was barely noticeable in the nose. Very nice balance and a great tasting lager.

Mouthfeel is medium in body with little aftertaste. Slightly overcarbonated, but thats just nitpicking. True to style, this is a solid session lager. Drinkability is good, this goes down easy.

A decent lager beer from the Herk. Nothing special, but a solid beer none the less. I doubt I'll order this again because I know that Gose is so good.

2.9/5  rDev -19.7%

I am guessing that this beer is the same as the keller bier listed under Herkimer's offerings. Either way I tried the "Sky Pilot" so I know this is the right beer. I just suspect a merge is in order and mention for those looking for all reviews on the beer.

This beer was a dark gold color. The head was very light and had some lacing on the surface. The flavor was definitely malt dominant but there were lots of grain flavors ripping through it. I suspect that this beer has a time and a place where it would be just what you wanted, but it didn't do it for me at the time. There was a sour finish and a mildly sour aftertaste that seemed a little disjointed from the malt and grains of the flavors. It wasn't my favorite of their offerings, but I do admit that I love the name. To offer some differing perspective, my father and my father-in-law both enjoyed this beer more than I did.

4.17/5  rDev +15.5%

Ok pretty solid offering here. Appearance is pretty good but the head is a little small and no real lacing. Smell is good, very nice and wheaty. Taste is similar but a bit heavier, more hops come through as well. Mouthfeel is medium in body with a bit of carbonation. Drinkability is good.

3.86/5  rDev +6.9%

On tap at the brewery---a 2006 GABF Gold Medal winner.

A-Hazy golden yellow with a thin white head. Nice lacing left behind.

S-Slight breadiness with a slight twing of noble hops.

T-Malty sweet wit a decent hop bite. A good melding of flavours.

M-Medium body. Good balance. Simple.

D-Very true to style, a solid Kellerbier. A quality session beer. Very easy to throw down pint after pint. One of my favorite lager styles.

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

A cloudy yellow beer which comes from not being filtered. The head was rather non existant but there was an ample amount of lacing left on the glass.

The smell was mostly biscuit malt with a little grassy hops in the background.

The taste again is mostly biscuit malt with just a kiss of hops on finish. There is also a minerally aspect on the finish.

A light body with good carbonation.

A nice light beer that is easy drinking. Worth a try.

Sky Pilot from Herkimer Pub & Brewery