Paddle Wheel Pale Ale | Bent River Brewing Company

Paddle Wheel Pale AlePaddle Wheel Pale Ale

Bent River Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
bentriverbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Compared to a pre-prohibition American style beer. A medium bodied ale with a well balanced hoppy finish.

Added by Reneejane on 03-01-2004

3.16/5  rDev -7.9%

3.09/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A bit of a disappointment. It has a bit of a bitterness to it, but it tastes like it's coming from fruit rinds as opposed to any added hops. As a result, it leaves an empty and hollow aftertaste.

3.58/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Looks nice. Deep amber color with nice white head. Bitter biscuit notes with a smooth finish. It's a touch flat on the carbonation.

2.35/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 Oz bottle poured into a point glass. Beer was chosen for me by beer of the month club. Amber color with thin white head. Mild malt and sour nose. Malty flavor with biscuit and bread malts coming through. Very mildly hopped. Not what I expect from a pale ale, but the label suggests it is like a pre-prohibition style American beer. I guess I'm glad I wasn't sick in that time period. Not my style.

3.7/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.64/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Color is good, flavor is, well, unexpected. Somewhat citrus, somewhat wheaty, but not overly hoppy.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

Bottle. Label art is not appealing. Pours a dark Amber with a very mild head. Aroma? Nah. I'm just sticking my schnoz into a glass with zero payback. Not worth the physical effort to crane my neck into the position to sniff. Sorry, too aggressive. It smells mild and slightly sweet and bready. Flavor is equally as mild. Smells and tastes like home brew. Medium bodied. Not every beer has to be all dynamic and unique. I will try to keep this in mind.

3.71/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.32/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.13/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.25

Came in a Beer of the Month club my fiance got me for Christmas. 26.6 IBUs. Hailing from Rock Island, IL. Pours a mahogany/amber, unfiltered goodness right here. Vinegar in the nose, some coriander, grass, floral notes as well. Taste very similar, but with more of the Belgium (yeast, perhaps?) coming through. Has kinda a wet wet/malt/sour mouthfeel that I feel would go great with fish and chips. Overall, I feel this beer beckons the old southern proper ways of life to the modern, international harmonization with it's Belgium influences. Definitely a beer I wouldn't mind at a tailgate or outdoor cocktail party of sorts.

3.77/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.62/5  rDev +5.5%

Very piney for me. Citric? Very drinkable. Pale Ale is not my thing but I appreciate them. This one I thought was pretty good. Would buy if found.

3.72/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: A golden,amber color with a nice creamy white head, resolves to fine lacing .

A: Malt dominates with mild hoppy floral aroma.

T: Sweet malt forward, biscuit, bready in the middle followed by hint of hoppy bitterness mid taste and rather sweet but clean finish.

M: Medium dry mouthfeel, sufficient carbonation to highlight the hops and keep the malts from becoming syrupy

O: I thought this was a rather good Pale Ale, reminded me more of an English Pale Ale with the malt characteristics dominating the hops. I tend to prefer maltier beers, so this is in line with my flavor preference – definitely not the extreme hopped IPA more typically associated with American Pale Ales. I enjoyed this beer and would definitely not turn it down if offered (or if I could find at a reasonable price point).

3.93/5  rDev +14.6%

3.41/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Paddle Wheel Pale Ale from Bent River Brewing Company