Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Uncommon Stout | Bent River Brewing Company

Bent River Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
bentriverbrewing.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

This unique stout is our top selling beer. We infuse our Oatmeal Stout with some of the country's best coffee to make this award winning medium bodied ale.

28.8 IBU

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-06-2004

1.25/5  rDev -67%

just don't like the coffee flavor of this at all

1.33/5  rDev -64.9%

This was honestly one of the foulest beers I've tasted in my life. It tasted like the grain bill was 90% acidulated malt. A tiny bit of coffee flavor on the back end, but it did not make up for the mouth puckering awful taste. I can't remember the last time I dumped a beer, but after 3 sips this one went straight down the drain.

1.45/5  rDev -61.7%

Poured a solid dark black into pint glass. The smell was immediately offputting- it smelled like cold Maxwell House. At first sip I imagined somebody had mixed a cheap watery stout with day-old cold coffee and served it to me, masquerading as a beer. It sat in my stomach about as well as cold coffee and beer would, too. Overall one of the worst misses on a brew I have had.

1.66/5  rDev -56.2%

1.7/5  rDev -55.1%

I have to question whether the 6 pack I purchased was infected. I've only experienced it one other time and with different off flavors, but this was overwhelmingly sour to me, with little flavor rising above the metallic bitterness. If it is not infected it's a terrible example of either an oatmeal stout or a coffee ale, but given the other reviews I feel like this was a lacto-infection or something of the sort. All 6 were drain pours for me unfortunately, highly disappoint as a first experience with this brewery.

1.75/5  rDev -53.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Did not enjoy this beer

2.15/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured 12 oz bottle into snifter. It has a cola look and smelled like cheap coffee. Smell is overpoweringly coffee. I did not really taste beer in this at all. Rather, it tasted like cold Folgers. It didn't taste like it was brewed with coffee. It tasted like someone poured a little bit of stout into stale coffee. I won't be trying again.

2.35/5  rDev -38%

Pours pitch shiny back but thin. One finger frothy tan head dissipates leaving a rind of foam along the outside of the beer with no lacing.

Smell has a strong aroma of a very acidic coffee, almost like instant coffee or pre ground coffee in a tin. There is also a strong aroma of cinnamon. Was not expecting it, but Im definitely noticing it. Bit of roasted malt coming through on the undertone.

Taste is ... Look, I don't like to bash any beers, but this is the worst tasting stout I've ever had and its made worse by the fact that I was totally not expecting it given the rather pleasant aroma. Its incredibly watery and the coffee definitely tastes like Folgers coffee - very bitter, acidic, and old. Think of old coffee grounds - they're somehow bland in spite of all the acidity. Beyond the coffee, there is a very bland malt background. The malt doesn't taste roasted, it tastes green. Then there is this off-putting sour berry like flavor that devolves into a metallic aftertaste. Its so sour it made me pucker a few times. I don't think there is anything wrong with this bottle - I think its just a poorly made stout.

Feel has mild carbonation with a very thin feel. More porter like that stout like, but given the low ABV it isn't awful.

I am so glad I bought this as a single. Now I'm nervous to try the barrel aged version of this stout ... might be the only time having the bourbon overpower the stout did good things for the base beer.

2.43/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

The head is very thin and quickly dissipates, far too quickly for the aesthetic visual pleasure of a stout. I like lingering and tracing on the glass and there just isn't any of that here. The bitter finish is an unpleasant slight copper on the tongue and the mouthfeel is more like a black ale. I don't mind black ales as long as I know that's what I'm getting, but I like better in stouts the heavy lingering feel like you've just taken a mouthful of really dark rye Bavarian bread in liquid alcohol form. This beer just simply doesn't deliver.

2.5/5  rDev -34%

Appeared very dark, almost black.

Smelled like semi-burnt, weak coffee, and the taste was much the same. I could not fish out any other flavors besides the burnt coffee flavor, and I may as well have been drinking coffee.

I have enjoyed coffee stouts in the past, but this one was a bit too one-dimensional for repeated tastings. Judging from the other higher scores, I may have had a bad pour, but I don't think so.

2.56/5  rDev -32.5%

Roasted malts are evident. Very watery for an oatmeal stout.

2.63/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Good start. Smells like chocolate, cola, and a little coffee.

I think this is oxidized, tasting wet cardboard and an off sour note as well.

I hope this bottle has just gone bad. The aroma tells me that this is not a terrible beer. I'd give it another try.

2.91/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I poured this promising beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer poured a black looking brew with a tan head. The head did not last very long at all. The beer mostly tasted like coffee, cold coffee, cold heavy coffee with a handful of sugar thrown in it. It was cold coffee to me and not beer. I will not buy again.

2.99/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Uncommon Stout from Bent River Brewing Company