American Wheat | Bent River Brewing Company

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2006

Reviews by Josievan:
3.72/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Golden siena/pumkiny color. Not much head to speak of, but some lacing is present.

Smell: Mainly pale wheat malt, but also an unexpected hop aroma.

Taste: Starts out with a sweetness from the pale malt. There's a slight fruitiness, but I can't quite place it as a specific fruit. Must just be the malt again. Hops don't come through quite as much as with the smell, but they're there. Not much bitterness. More bready and grainy than many examples of the style.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, but not as light as many pale wheat beers, which is a good thing. Relatively smooth, but also crisp. I can tell this would be pretty carbonated fresh from the tap.

Drinkability: Easy drinking. There's not much here to rub one the wrong way.

Notes: This is my first growler review! As far as an overall beer, Bent River's American Wheat is simply a decent, average beer. But as far as American Pale Wheat beers go, this is a better than average example of a relatively weak style. Still, when I'm at Bent River, I'll be more likely to choose their Uncommon Stout or Pale Ale over this. When I'm really thirsting for a great wheat beer, I have a German hefeweizen, but if you're going to drink a pale American wheat beer, this is about as good as any I've had.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

I actually ended up with the American Wheat by accident, but it wasn't a disappointing beer. Its a nice light brown color. The beer smells slightly sweet. the beer itself has a slightly sweet taste, but finishes a little bit bitter. You can definitely taste the wheat. Not my favorite Bent beer, but not bad.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%