Black Boss Porter

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Dec 02, 2019
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.86/5  rDev +27.6%

Price point + ready availability at the FGBS = grab 'n' go, despite it being a bottle, as though I do not have enough in the backlog already. Hey, no matter. I first got turned onta Baltic Porters by Stosh, the now-deceased owner of the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern in Pixburgh. I useta go over & have the Red platter (as opposed to the White platter - it was a Polish jernt) & sit with him & drink Baltika #6 & smoke stogies. Man, I had a VERY different undergrad experience at Pitt!

From the bottle: "Original Baltic Porter brewed and bottled by Browar Witnica SA, since 1848".

I Pop!ped the cap and began a fairly aggro pour, thinking that it was a fresh bottle, so why not! Why not was the pseudo-cascade that began to form a quickly rising and outta-control head! I backed off & let it settle into three-plus fingers of dense, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head with great retention. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity & deep mahogany highlights. OMFG! It was gorgeous. I wanted to marry it on the spot! Nose smelled of dark chocolate, licorice/anise, drying tobacco, light smoke & dried, dark fruits. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but on the approach. I just let it playfully roll around on my tongue to warm and become accustomed to both its taste & feel. The taste had a decided anise/licorice bent, which is really the hallmark of the style, IMHO. Goldang, this was really good! It made me wish that I could still smoke stogies, but sadly, with adult-onset asthma, those days are in the rear-view mirror. Underneath the anise/licorice were notes of dark chocolate, smoke and tobacco. Jeez-us, this was fantastic! I could drink this all day, or maybe on a ferry between some of the Baltic states. Finish was dry, but cool, almost like I had been smoking menthol cigarettes. I almost defy others to find a more iconic example of this style! I have been warned against confrontation on this site, so I will let it go at that, but if you find a bottle of this one, I urge you to snap it up!

Mar 26, 2017
JDOHare from Washington

Very smooth drinking Baltic porter from Poland. This beer drinks very smooth and not heavy at all. Has a bit of very light sweetness to it but not over powering so it stays pleasant. I had this in the smaller 11.2 ounce bottle and I didn't see an alcohol content shown, if this beer is 9.4% ABV its masked very well. The last time I drank this beer I picked up four of them, I like this beer and will drink it again.

Oct 07, 2014
boisehack from Idaho

3.26/5  rDev -14.4%

I thought I bought a Black Goss Porter, which makes no sense at all, but I was wearing prescription sunglasses indoors, and no progressive lenses. So I ended up with Black Boss Porter. Probably a good thing, what the heck would a black goss porter be like? We may never know!

I drank it right out of the bottle, because my landlord dropped me off at a property to rake leaves, and the cups on the ground from the Halloween party were dirty. But I poured some onto my fingers to smell it and see the color; not much aroma, kind of malty, but nice and dark. I am not familiar with the Baltic style of porters, but I have seen on YouTube that young Eastern European guys like them for a good buzz. They are not wrong!

You can't see lacing in a bottle, so never mind that. But the taste... I drank some, hmmm... some more... and the first thing that came to mind was Hatuey, that sweet malt bomb from Cuba. Not what I was expecting. I expect a porter to be drier and a bit roasty, but this is a Baltic porter (a guy on the radio just said "Cole Porter", weird!), and I guess this is true to style?

I rolled it around in my mouth, and there wasn't a lot there for as malty as it tasted. However, it was certainly not unpleasant, and as I drank it began to glow on me. Yes, I said glow, at 9+% alcohol, you might expect that. I wondered if corn might be on the grain bill, but somehow I doubt that, this being from Poland.

This was a nice beer to fire my tired old ass up for another two hours of raking leaves, and I would not be averse to repeating the experience, but I am disappointed that I was denied the chance to drink the elusive black goss porter!

So I didn't pour it into a glass, how déclassé, but I think with this beer it is to be expected; like they do in Poland or wherever, just get some sausages, grill 'em, and drink this beer on the rocky Baltic beach by the fire, or whatever you can recreate in this manner. You will be happy!

Nov 02, 2018
Fuzzycuffs from Oregon

3.06/5  rDev -19.7%

Look: Nice and dark like a porter should be, frothy beige head dissipates rather quickly (unsurprising given the 9.4% ABV. Scattered lacing here and there. Looks nice.

Smell: Not much to speak of here. I pick up on a combination of bread and what might be coffee or dark chocolate. Very subtle aroma.

Taste: Sweeter than I had anticipated, but not cloyingly so. The taste of coffee is the most apparent thing, however. I don't pick up much other than this. Lacking in complexity, but at least it's not boozy.

Mouthfeel: Just average. This is a rather weak-bodied porter, but has been carbonated more than usual for the style, I suppose in an attempt to make up for that. Prickly from the carbonation, and light, almost watery otherwise. The mouthfeel disappoints.

Overall: Decent. It's good for the price, as many users have noted, but it's a far cry from being a great brew. It almost feels like coffee liqueur has been added to a watery porter. The sweetness detracts, and I am not enough of a coffee drinker to appreciate the only other apparent flavor. I wouldn't mind drinking it again some time if I wasn't so close to Deschutes, who produce one of the best porters there is.

Jan 11, 2015

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Jun 22, 2014
jpmclaug from South Carolina

3.87/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from the bottle into an oversized brandy snifter

A - The Black Boss doesn't lie... this beer is black. It had a one finger just off white head at first but that quickly ran away.

S - At first whiff I could almost swear that this is a red wine. Fruity smell is the dominant note here with a hint of roast. Really... I don't know what is going on but this smells like wine.

T - Once again fruity flavors are present mixed with a bit of roast. Sweet flavors abound led by some molasses notes.

M - medium body with not much carbonation.

D - Easy drinking and not what I expected at all. Not picking up the 9.4% at all either. If I had to guess I'd put this at around 4.5%. Interesting brew and worth trying but I don't know if I would seek this out again. If you want to tick Poland however I don't think you could go wrong with this brew..

Jul 22, 2010
e-MoNeY

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Sep 03, 2012
dtivp from Pennsylvania

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a deep dark espresso brown with a one and a half dark mocha head that fades quickly into a thin cap with light lacing.

Aroma of roasted malt, coffee and dark fruit.

Taste starts slightly bitter of strong coffee, dark roasted malt and then a slight balance of molasses sweetness.

Mouth Feel is medium body, low carbonation, creamy, silky smooth. The alcohol is very well hidden for a 9.4 ABV.

Overall this is a very nice enjoyable porter, my first Polish beer and hopefully not my last.

Oct 05, 2011
DasBoot2112 from North Carolina

Nov 10, 2012
Spikester from Oregon

4.27/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Clear dark ruby almost black with two fingers of light tan head. Rings of lace appear as the level drops.
Smell is dark malt with a touch of black cherry.
Taste is sweet dark malt with black cherries and some slight hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel is medium with solid carbonation. Finish is mild dryness with a mostly sweet finish.
Overall a tasty beer at a decent price. Date? says PO#50191. ????

May 09, 2020
diabecktic from Illinois

4.29/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance:
Head formation is minimal (~1 finger), but the retention and lacing are pretty good. The head is tan, while the beer itself is pitch black. When held to a light, you can see that the brew is actually a very, very dark shade of red. I was expecting more from with respect to the head, but it looks pretty good.

Smell:
Man, is this a treat. I smell a mix of sweet malt and darker, smokey tones. Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and caramel are the dominant aromas. I detect a non-citrus fruitiness that complements the caramel, but I can't quite describe it. Someone below me has described this as almost like a teryaki sauce. As strange as this sounds, it's actually not bad. This is quite unique relative to other porters and darker beers that I've had.

Taste:
The flavor matches the nose quite well. Everything I said above is also manifest in the palate. I will say that the balance is a little different, though. The smokey tones are more dominant in the nose, but the sweeter ones are stronger as flavors - mainly caramel with some coffee. There's definately more malt character than hop.

Mouthfeel:
Mouthfeel is somewhere between medium and medium-heavy. I think the overall sweetness is physically manifest as density, though I won't say that it's comparable to syrup. The sweetness lingers, but more as (coffee) flavor than substance.

Drinkability:
I think the % ABV is high for what one would call a session beer, but you will definately want to sip on this beer. I recommend this for two reasons: it's fairly thick and the flavor is just incredible.

Summary:
This is one incredible beer. For $1.99, you get 0.5 L of heaven that's 9.4% ABV. The wonderful thing is that you can't really taste the alcohol. I really can't say enough about the flavor; the smokey sweetness is quite unique. The closest thing I can compare it to is some sort of wonderful root beer. If you haven't tried this beer, you must do so as soon as possible. At this price, you would be hard pressed to find a better value.

Mar 14, 2009
DruRho from Maryland

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Mar 19, 2013
DiabolikDUB from Oregon

3.31/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from Bottle into Pint glass.

Pours a dense black that has some slight deep copper edging with a light cocoa colored head that quickly dissolves into a nice layer atop the glass. The aroma has mostly sweet chocolate and is accompanied by some roasted malts. The flavor has more roasted malts, a lot of milk chocolate and a very light bitterness. Its a very light bodied porter with the right amount of carbonation. This is a pretty watery porter that leaves you needing much more flavor and the aroma is a dominated by too much chocolate.

Jun 13, 2009
Sanchezrox23 from Virginia

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

Dec 08, 2014
MobBarley from Oregon

3.74/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Sep 14, 2020
unHipHopHead from Washington

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

This porter is an amazing quality bang for the buck, this is a great tasting porter with an alcohol content of a stout. This is a super rich, saturated porter with hella flavor of coffee, chocolate and well... hops & barley!!! This porter is a bit chewy as far as porters go but its still a good bet if you can only grab one bottle.

Nov 04, 2008
anteater from Oregon

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

Jan 13, 2013
Mosstrooper from California

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from 500ml bottle into Budweiser branded American pint glass.

Appearance: Pours dark, reddish-black with a very small brown head that is gone quickly, leaving no lace.

Smell:Sweet, roasted malts- almost like molasses. Pretty weak smell, though.

Taste: Tastes of molasses, with a sweetened coffee finish.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and smooth, with only a touch of carbonation. Sticky finish.

Drinkability: For 9.4% ABV, this is a deceptively easy drinker. Overall, this is definitely a beer I would have again, and this is something I could easily do given its low price tag (always a plus).

Nov 26, 2009
jason_nwx from Oregon

3.85/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Jun 25, 2018
moreyswig from Pennsylvania

Mar 12, 2013
AmitC from New York

4.34/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Jan 04, 2019
puboflyons from New Hampshire

3.41/5  rDev -10.5%

Sampled on November 19, 2011. From the 500 ml. bottle it pours dark brown with better clarity than the average Porter. Some head. The aroma is an odd cross between dark malts and Toffee. Kind of cardboard like too. The body is medium to bold. The taste is not smoky or chocolate-like but it most definitely has a weird kind of astringency which leads to a slight hop bite.But that is more like the traditional Baltic style. It is not my kind of Porter because I like the smoke but since they began brewing it in 1848, maybe this is the way it is supposed to be.

Nov 20, 2011
Roland45s from Virginia

Pours darker than a stout or your typical porter. About 3" of thick cream topper....Very smooth, robust taste and not to bitter after bite. I sincerely enjoyed this, probably would have tasted even better with a fat filet mignon or t-bone. Overall it was a perfect end to a halloween evening and one that I would definitely recommend/drink again.

Nov 01, 2012
Black Boss Porter from BOSS Browar Witnica S.A.
Beer rating: 86 out of 100 with 623 ratings