Black Boss Porter | BOSS Browar Witnica S.A.

Black Boss PorterBlack Boss Porter

Added by bark on 04-10-2004

Liked:
3.77/5
Alströms:

I spent summers on my grandmother's dairy, coffee, and sugarcane farm. This porter reminds me of what the giant pots we made "melcocha" in smelled like after boiling down the cane juice. I understand this smell now whereas I used to confuse it with soy sauce. This is by far my favorite porter.

Good beer. Very much like drink.

4.94/5  rDev +31%

Lets not get complicated. This is a very delicious porter. One of the best i have ever had. It tastes great....period.

4.86/5  rDev +28.9%

Price point + ready availability at the FGBS = grab 'n' go, despite it being a bottle, as though I do not have enough in the backlog already. Hey, no matter. I first got turned onta Baltic Porters by Stosh, the now-deceased owner of the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern in Pixburgh. I useta go over & have the Red platter (as opposed to the White platter - it was a Polish jernt) & sit with him & drink Baltika #6 & smoke stogies. Man, I had a VERY different undergrad experience at Pitt!

From the bottle: "Original Baltic Porter brewed and bottled by Browar Witnica SA, since 1848".

I Pop!ped the cap and began a fairly aggro pour, thinking that it was a fresh bottle, so why not! Why not was the pseudo-cascade that began to form a quickly rising and outta-control head! I backed off & let it settle into three-plus fingers of dense, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head with great retention. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity & deep mahogany highlights. OMFG! It was gorgeous. I wanted to marry it on the spot! Nose smelled of dark chocolate, licorice/anise, drying tobacco, light smoke & dried, dark fruits. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but on the approach. I just let it playfully roll around on my tongue to warm and become accustomed to both its taste & feel. The taste had a decided anise/licorice bent, which is really the hallmark of the style, IMHO. Goldang, this was really good! It made me wish that I could still smoke stogies, but sadly, with adult-onset asthma, those days are in the rear-view mirror. Underneath the anise/licorice were notes of dark chocolate, smoke and tobacco. Jeez-us, this was fantastic! I could drink this all day, or maybe on a ferry between some of the Baltic states. Finish was dry, but cool, almost like I had been smoking menthol cigarettes. I almost defy others to find a more iconic example of this style! I have been warned against confrontation on this site, so I will let it go at that, but if you find a bottle of this one, I urge you to snap it up!

4.82/5  rDev +27.9%

Purchased from Nugget Roseville. Poured into SN pint glass.

A - Pours a light brown, with light mocha head. Dissipates slow and appears well carbonated. Leaves a nice lacing.

S - Light chocolate, hickory, light roast coffee, and lots of toffee. Definitely not a west coast porter. :)

T - Toffee, chocolate, hickory and hints of coffee. Slightest taste of spicy hops.

M - Slight alcohol, but not thin at all. Full mouthfeel and very rich.

D - Really good. Great example of a Baltic Porter.

4.8/5  rDev +27.3%

Appearance: Rich Black Coffee Color. 1/4" Caramel Head.

Aroma: Very fragrant. Hints of Molasses.

Flavor: Exceptional flavor. Not just the normal coffee notes. I tasted caramel, molasses and a hint of chocolate. The after taste was almost more enjoyable than the initial taste.

This the best Porter that I've had to date, and currently my favorite beer. I picked it up at the package store for $1.84 for the pint, and was completely blown away. I was really sad that I only got one. Can't wait to get another.

4.77/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Overall, a good brew. Nice nose, texture on the tongue. Smooth drinking, rich, smooth.
If you find it at the right distributor, a great bang for the buck.

4.75/5  rDev +26%

This is one fine, unadorned, beautifully made straight-ahead Porter. The high alcohol content is nicely balanced by this GREAT beer.

A: Very dark garnet red - almost black.

S: Sweet pure malty scent with hints of dark roasted coffee and some fruit notes.

T: Phenomenal! Down-to-earth with the sweet taste of malts, with fruity notes nicely balanced against a slightly hoppy finish.

M: Smooth, very smooth.

D: From beginning to end - this is one outstanding representation of its breed. I cannot believe it is 9.4% - the alcohol is so well-ensconced within the balance of the whole beer. This is one almost "session" Porter, but at that 9.4% alcohol content - watch out!

This is one big outstanding, robust Porter! Black Boss is a great porter for all us die-hard Porter fans worldwide. VERY highly recommended by Perfesser Homer!

4.75/5  rDev +26%

4.74/5  rDev +25.7%

pours clear dark cola brown, 3/4" tan head which quickly dissipates but leaves lasting sticky lace tracings

very malty; minimal hops smell if any, but carmel/molasses sweetness can be detected already in the nose. nothing metallic or unnatural here; lightly biscuit, perhaps subtle raisin.

I immediately loved the thick chewy sweetness which is well-balanced by light bitterness. Molassess overtones; nothing really coffee or chocolate or citrus or grassy, but more towards figgy fruit... Perhaps a little one-dimensional, but wholesome; the alcohol is well-hidden. Very long-lasting, sippable...

medium-light bodied. lightly creamy. not as thick as some barleywines, but definitely chewier than a pilsner. no harsh aftertastes or hop smells at all; the flavor lingered well on the tongue.

I'd compare this to Spaten Optimizer, an imperial stout. It's also sweeter and more palatable to me, than Obsidian Stout, and packs a little more punch than Black Butte Porter, and it's sweetness was more to my liking. I found it at a great price in a grocery store, and will definitely try it again!

4.72/5  rDev +25.2%

Pours black with dark brown hues near the top. A thin head soon becomes a lasting swirling patch. Some lacing is left in its wake.

The smell is pretty robust - chocolate, licorice and walnuts.

The taste is exquisite to say the least. Chocolate and licorice intermingle and work well together. Just a hint of smokiness lends it more character. Late dark fruitiness eventually emergers Nutty, walnuty flavor is support the dark malt throughout, but especially in the finish. Alcohol is very well-covered. Very smooth, velvety.

The feel is creamy and full-bodied.

It's soothingly smooth. Alcohol is well-coveredbut can sneak up on you, as it's pretty potent. Sweet, but balanced. I like the nutty touch that gives it a nice addition to the chocolate and licorice. Just the right amount of smokiness that doesn't overpower, but enough to give it some roastiness. The carbonation is right on the spot. And the beer gods rejoice at this treat from Poland...

4.7/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Found this at Tops market in Weaverville, CA. Never seen it before and it was only 3 bucks.

A - Dark appearance. Couldn't tell much more due to being in a dim lit room.

S - Very pleasing aroma with hints os coffee and molasses.

T - The taste was incredible. I found flavors such as molasses, chocolate and coffee. Doesn't get better than this!

M - Smoooth.

D - The high ABV in this makes it a one bottle thing for me. I'm a very skinny person and I felt a decent buzz off of it. So more than one may get me pretty tipsy. But still an amazing beer. Get one!!!

4.7/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been partial to porters since Narragansett Porter in the 1970s and this is a high-ABC porter that tastes good, without too strong an alcohol taste and without too sweet a malty taste. This is a maybe-too-easy-to-drink strong dark beer, and had become one of my favorites. No one in my area has it or can get it from regional distributors so I am buying it from the one place I have found it reliably online.

A: a very dark beer
S: sweet but not alcohol-y
T: mildly sweet, for such a strong beer; easily palatable
M: for me a good level of carbonation
O: one of my favorite beers -- not available in most places

4.68/5  rDev +24.1%

I had seen this in the past, but didn't buy thinking it was a "get drunk" beer. I could not have been more wrong!
Poured almost black but showed dark ruby at the bottom of the glass when held to light. Thick tan head that lasted quite awhile. There was lacing left all the way down the glass. Taste was somewhat sweet and fruity and I noticed coffee as well with a fairly high viscosity in the mouth. I didn't notice any bitterness or alcohol harshness in this beer although it did have a profound good effect on my mood ;^).

I really enjoyed this brew and will have it again. Sooner rather than later.

4.67/5  rDev +23.9%

I might give a slightly bias opinion to this one because it is by far my favorite beer to sit down with. were i reside now its hard to find, and i catch myself making a 3 hour drive to get it!

Black Boss is a dark, baltic porter with heavy notes of chocolate, coffee, and even molasses. it pours easy with its little carbonation, a packs a aroma that the misses would love to have a candle of! the smell for me is the most powerful aspect. the feel is light but creamy, and really doesn't finish as bitter as you would expect with its high alcohol content. its real sweet, at is a great dessert beer, pairing well with chocolate of course. a also find this to pair well with a good tobacco, as i smoke a briar pipe. the taste it leaves you with makes you beg for that next drink!

4.64/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.64/5  rDev +23.1%

4.58/5  rDev +21.5%

Black Boss Porter is the first porter I ever drank, years ago when I started to learn that Newcastle wasn't in fact the best beer in the world. It's about time I review it. Poured from half of Pint into goblet, then the second half.

Appearance - 99% opaque black. Beautiful 1-inch creamy tan head.

Smell - Alcohol is pretty present as it's 9.4% ABV. Wheat and grains, maybe a little nutty.

Taste - Caramel, chocolate, toffee. Also some bread and black licorice. The flavors build over a long time. Nice and complex. The alcohol strength doesn't show up as much in the beginning as you might expect, but it definitely ramps up as you drink it.

Feel - Heavy, sticky, a little creamy.

Overall - Awesome porter. Wonderfully balanced and complex.

4.57/5  rDev +21.2%

Pint bottle into glass

A-Poured a solid black with a slight reddish amber hue in the light. Held a decent 2 finger tan head that slowly dissapeared leaving a little lacing but nothing to crazy.

S- Dark malts and coffee up front but a hint of sweetness possibly from mallasses or a dark fruit.

T- Great tasting malts with a solid coffee backround, but once again that slight sweet end from the mallasses or dark fruits makes this beer so good IMO.

M- Medium body that's real smooth going down. Hardly any carbonation with a little bit of dryness. Hate to say this but almost had a slight chalky after taste, but not so much in a bad way.

Overall for how cheap this beer is, it's worth picking up a few. It's a real great tasting porter that I think is a must try.

Skål!

4.54/5  rDev +20.4%

Drank from a 11.2 fl. oz./330 ml bottle purchased at Roly Poly Enterprise, New Britain, CT
Served in a snifter

Chestnut brown in appearance. Lighter in color than expected for the style. The liquid was topped by a one-finger head of khaki, bubbly froth. Splotches of lacing stuck along the glass.

The aroma was amazingly rich and smooth. Tons of dark fruits. Plums, raisins and prunes came through strong. Intense maple and vanilla notes. Generous dose of sweet, bready malts and brown sugar. I swear that I picked up some boozy, bourbon-like notes as well. As much as I enjoyed the smell of this beer, it reminded me more of an old ale than a typical Baltic porter.

The flavor profile was nearly as impressive as the nose. Lots of smooth, dark fruit sweetness on the front end. Dates, figs and prunes were noticeable. Good amount of rich, caramel malts. Some coffee in the center. Touch of roast and smoke as well. Slightly boozy on the back end. For a 9.4% ABV beer, however, the alcohol was very well buried. The crisp, off-dry finish was somewhat steely at first. As the beer warmed, the metallic notes all but disappeared. Like the aroma, the flavor profile was more akin to that of an old ale/strong ale than a Baltic porter.

The beer was medium bodied with a smooth, medium-fine effervescence. Creamy and supple yet a bit thin for the style.

Black Boss Porter is one of the most notable "surprise beers" I have come across in a long while. Furthermore, it paired perfectly with my kielbasa and pierogi dinner. Do yourself a favor by going to your local Polish market and buying a six-pack of this stuff. You will thank me later.

Black Boss Porter from BOSS Browar Witnica S.A.
Beer rating: 62.8% out of 100 with 588 ratings