Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Black Boss Porter | BOSS Browar Witnica S.A.

Black Boss PorterBlack Boss Porter

Added by bark on 04-10-2004

1.25/5  rDev -66.8%

1.25/5  rDev -66.8%

1.7/5  rDev -54.8%

Poured from 16.9oz bottle, to an english pint.
pours an unusual mahoganny brown/black.
smell was sweet with slight coffee hints.
taste was very sugary (molasses) which I found to be the definitive taste with little depth. I found the sweetness to be very overbearing and not very enjoyable.
drinkability was low for me, as i disliked the taste, but the high alcohol was not noticable whatsoever.
Mouthfeel was also very thin for an imperial porter.
One attribute I did enjoy was the great roasted malt flavor that was throughout, very strong and enjoyable. Besides the roasted malt flavor, I found this to be a rather unenjoyable beer. As a big fan of imperial porters and stouts, I was very dissapointed.
Honestly I am suprised so many people like it, but to each his own.

1.87/5  rDev -50.3%

Obviously, I had a spoiled bottle. The reasons I’m bothering to review Black Boss at all are because I purchased it from a reputable merchant, the beer is 9.4% ABV, and it’s not bottle conditioned. What does this mean? It means that even reputable merchants can sell you a stinker, the high alcohol content will not serve as an effective preservative, and the lack of bottle conditioning forecasts a limited shelf life. All of this is to say that it’s not unreasonable to expect a similar disaster next time, so a consumer warning in the form of a bad review is appropriate.

As for the properties of this beer, I noted every bad, funky beer chemical on the shelf: lots of sulfur, rotten eggs, butterscotch, fusels, etc. There were also some heartening threads of coffee and licorice and no inherent flaws in the appearance or mouthfeel. But the beer as a whole was a hand grenade of failed expressions. Stay away.

2.02/5  rDev -46.3%

Nope!!!!

I remember when porters were a bit like stouts but more complex and aften with elements of sweet in it. Cartier Porter from Canada was a wonderful one. I have been told that "Baltic" porters are like those porters I used to drink.

Wrong!!! This is a stout, acrid enough to be undrinkable. With all respect to the other categories here, the taste is all that counts. I spilled it out after two seprate swallows. Ugh!!!

Howie

2.1/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I actually couldn't finish this one....

2.19/5  rDev -41.8%

Received the as part of beer of the month delivery. 12/27/2011 Tasted malt but extremely sweet, too sweet for my taste especially as it gained temperature. Hints of coffee and chocolate.
I didn't notice the scent or taste of alcohol.
The mouthfeel is almost as weak as the nose...thin and watery with a small amount of carbonation.

2.28/5  rDev -39.4%

Appearance: Just a bit darker than Coca-Cola, deep brown with ruby highlights with a creamy beige head with decent retention and fancy lacing.

Smell: Loads of dark brown sugar, with subdued aromas of rum, burnt coffee, Oreos, and red delicious apple skin.

Taste: So... distressingly... sweet. This is just a brown dumptruck full of sugar, that's what this is. Virtually no coffee, no dark chocolate, no roasty notes, nothing to provide any balance like a good porter should have. Beyond cloying, this is like drinking rum mixed with pure cane sugar, half a spoonful of Nescafe, and a splash of Pepsi.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and slick, slightly puckering and syrupy.

Drinkability: This is hard to drink. It might be okay in a recipe, though... maybe to flavor a mousse or ice cream. At any rate, after having this and the Boss strong lager, I do not think I will be returning to this brewery.

2.31/5  rDev -38.6%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a brownish color and a surprisingly clear consistency. There was an inch of creamy, fairly long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: The smell was oddly muted, with some malt, coffee, and hops in there.

T: Tasted of roasted malt, a hint of coffee, and a little chocolate. All of this is overwhelmed by a burnt quality that is terribly off-putting. Even if it didn't have the burnt aspect to the flavor, it's a thin, watery mix, not even close to the best Baltic Porters.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This is just a poorly made, hard to drink beer. Not a good effort.

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a nice little head that falls right away leaving almost no head, but with a little lacing. Color is black, jet black. Smell is sweet and slightly roasty/sour (I think sour). Taste is sweet with a roastiness that's almost soapy or soy. Yeah, really big soy flavor. The aftertaste is a nice balance of roastiness and soy. The mouthfeel is ok, a little carbonation nips at you, but not horrible. Overall, it was nice to try, but I wouldn't have this again without stipulations.

2.73/5  rDev -27.4%

Dark almost pitch black pour, with a half finger head that fades quick and little lacing.

Strong malt smell with coffee coming through and what to me is burnt bananna. Many things that I can't put my finger on but has a spirit smell to it.

Sweet malt taste, to sweet. Chocolate, coffee and a little molasses.

Too thin for me, this type of porter isn't my usual.

Again not my beer style of choice so one and done.

2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

Black Boss Porter from BOSS Browar Witnica S.A.