Big Daddy IPA | Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Big Daddy IPABig Daddy IPA

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers
goodbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Big Daddy IPA is a hop-head's delight, a generously dry-hopped yet surprisingly drinkable American-style India Pale Ale. Poured into a standard American pint glass, the beer is a golden straw color, with tight carbonation and a slightly off-white head that leaves a lovely lacing. The aroma is floral, fresh grass, pine needles, grapefruit, and a some subtle notes of fresh bread.

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 10-02-2001

Ratings: 1,389 |  Reviews: 486

4.64/5  rDev +24.4%

Scarlett has just departed into the snowy night when Big Daddy made his usual grand entrance, preceded by a few gun thugs and a sweeper, in the form of Mickey Tommy, an Irishman wielding a Thompson sub-machine gun like it was a pencil. I grew up with Mickey, a fellow altar boy until we both figured out that there were better ways to spend our time than with Christ, Our Lord. Tommy went for guns and women while I went into the navy to sample the wares of the world. Coming home, I admired his style, but even more, I admired his boss' honey honey, a smoky-voiced doll named Scarlett and the rest is history, as ye shall have revealed.

From the bottle: "Legit since 1997"; "Who's your Daddy?"; "No lightweight, BIG DADDY IPA tips the scales with a huge hop flavor and clean dry finish that leaves the scene without a trace."

Fu**er came roaring out at me like I was making time with his woman! Never mind that I had been, that kind of action makes Mickey Tommy want to stitch his trademark "X" on somebody's chest, no matter who. "Back off, motherf**ker!" I shouted, grabbing Big Daddy by the lapels of his double-breasted worsted. Thia created two fingers of dense, tawny head and Big Daddy waved off the gunsels. I stepped back to to take in his immenseness, a big man who was not afraid of the many women that he kept in his inventory or the rare man who might rise to their defense. The label did not do him justice as he was from Northern Italy, a big blonde whose mother was of Swiss descent, where the label portrays him as swarthy. Deep, golden yellow with NE-quality clarity and yet Mammon, Croesus and Midas did not appear in deference to his authority. He wore his hops like cologne, applying them liberally in a devil-may-care-fashion and they attacked my nose like his boys did in that Valentine's Day event, recently. Oh, yeah, that was Big Daddy's doing, and don't let any jailhouse skell tell you otherwise. Floral, citrusy, and cutting. I actually took a step back before my first sip, but when I did, he was hammering away at my poor, bruised, aching tongue. "F**k you, Woody!" he shouted. "I know you're a wrong guy, but I haven't put my finger on it. When I do, you're deader than everybody in recent memory!" I live for this sorta thing, however, and simply smiled back at him. The finish was bone-dry and I could hear the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara Desert. "Hey, Big Daddy, I'm done with you!" I cried out as a I pushed him away from me yet again. Guns were raised and pointed at me, but I shoved through their stance and sauntered into the night.

#akashicbooks.com

My previous review, dtd 24 June 2010, was on-tap, with scores of 4; 5; 4.5; 4; 5.

This came to me with a finger of bone-white head with great retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was full-on grapefruit hoppy nirvana. I loved this beer the first time it appeared in PA in bottles, but draft was so much better! The alpha acids really stand up in a draft service. Mouthfeel was medium with a nice, fresh hop snap on the tongue. This was the type of American IPA that really got me hooked on the style. Hoppy, but not overwhelmingly so. Finish was dry, citrusy, just right. More, please, sir.

4.43/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

12 ouncer poured into pint glass. Now this is a session IPA. One of the most balanced IPA's I've ever had. This is my second beer from Speakeasy (Tallulah EPA the first), and I must say they make some excellent brews. Bottle art is pretty awesome too. Cheers!

3.56/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. poured into Sam Adams perfect pint glass

A: Poured a nice amber color with very little carbonation. Good fingers worth of head that settles to a very thin layer with pretty nice lacing from start to finish.

S: Very piney hops right up from a very slight sweet malt.

T: Very much like the smell... Very strong piney hops right up front with a very slight sweet malt. Finish is warm and bitter...

M: Mid-bodied with a very light carbonation. The ABV is present with a little warming to it. Not much balance here.. Hops Hops Hops.

O: (Note: I'm not much of a IPA guy)It is a straight up IPA... Lots of more hops than malt here... Overall not a bad IPA, pretty average for the style.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured bottle into glass. 6.5% abv

Appearance- Clear medium amber with thick white head. Moderate carbonation.

Smell- A pretty good mix of grapefruit citrus along with aromas of pine and grass.

Taste- An initial taste of malt-like biscuit flavor followed up by a blast of hop bitterness. The hop taste is quite fresh and lingers for awile. Traces of some sweet undertones mixed in as well. Hops dominate the flavor.

Mouthfeel- Creamy in body. Finishes dry.

Overall- A generously hopped IPA for sure. Does not have the complexity of some IPA's but nobody could say this beer lacks hops. Still has nice balance and is smooth as is typical of West coast IPA's. A well done brew!

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

2.91/5  rDev -22%

Courtesy of bstyle. 12oz. bottle served in an American Pint. Bottled on 09.26.13 indicated on the label. Pours a translucent orange-gold with a loose, half-inch, cream-colored head. Nose expresses citrus zest and perhaps a hint of tangerine. Taste expresses bitter citrus zest, light malts and a slightly metallic flavor towards the back and a trace of wet cardboard. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a prickly carbonation and a slight acidity. Same impressions as my review of Prohibition Ale - not sure if it's a bad bottle, old bottle or just a bad beer, but not something I need to try again any time soon. At least it looks nice in the glass.

4.06/5  rDev +8.8%

Bright orange color and mostly see-through. Luscious head remains throughout the entire drink. Leaves behind solid and everlasting patches of lacing.

Buttery, biscuity malt aroma. Citric hop aroma smells like artificial fruit flavoring. Pinesol and menthol as well.

Solid malt character, rye and wheat. Dry hop bitterness, citrus, pine and menthol. Hint of honey. Well balanced.

Sturdy medium body and lively carbonation helps bring the flavors to life. Plenty of malty texture through out. Dry, refreshing finish.

I'm impressed with this one. The subtle honey sweetness really adds to the experience. With so many IPA's out there today, it's tough for a single one to stand out but this one does the job.

Big Daddy IPA from Speakeasy Ales & Lagers