Big Daddy IPA | Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Big Daddy IPABig Daddy IPA

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers
goodbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Big Daddy IPA is a hop-head's delight, a generously dry-hopped yet surprisingly drinkable American-style India Pale Ale. Poured into a standard American pint glass, the beer is a golden straw color, with tight carbonation and a slightly off-white head that leaves a lovely lacing. The aroma is floral, fresh grass, pine needles, grapefruit, and a some subtle notes of fresh bread.

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 10-02-2001

Ratings: 1,388 |  Reviews: 486

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a bright golden yellow with a thin layer of foam.

Grassy/herbal/floral hop aroma with slight notes of citrus.

The grassy and piney hop bitterness shines here with subtle citrus.

Light-bodied, medium carbonation.

Overall, a beer sure to please.

2.45/5  rDev -34.3%

Bottle to glass, I detect a mild, unimpressive scent of coppery hops. Appearance is clear tan with a nice bubbly head. I go for a sip...

Ugh. That stale, musky hop flavor again. I notice this happens a lot with Speakeasy beers. Usually when I get the stale hop flavor, I just figure my bottle sat on the shelf too long. Indeed that may be an issue now, since this one was bottled close to four months ago. But with this beer in particular, I've noticed that stale, musky flavor every single time I've tried it - probably five or six times in all.

I can only conclude that something is amiss with the brew itself. The flavor has barely a hint of the bright, floral hop bite I expect from a Cali IPA. Instead it's bitter in an unpleasantly dank and musky way. It tastes like cardboard and multivitamins. Totally unpleasant and disappointing.

Again, this may be due in large part to a lack of freshness. But I've noticed that same stale flavor in almost every Speakeasy beer I've had. And I can't help but wonder, living in Oakland, why it would be so difficult to get fresh beer from a brewery in San Francisco.

2.38/5  rDev -36.2%

It's certainly not "big". It's barely an IPA.

The initial taste is floral and overpowered by the taste of alcohol even though it is only rated at 6.5. The bite is not at all like what should come from a nice hoppy IPA but seems more like what one would expect from a cheap gin.
The hop taste is bitter but very much like "hot" is when you are eating a ghost pepper. No redeeming qualities. Really. None. It barely sits on your tongue long enough to search for something positive.

The aftertaste is similar to what Band-aids smell like. Rubbery and fortunately short-lived.

I am sorry for giving this beer such low rating and I am amazed at the positive reviews gained so far. This is one of the most unfavorable beers I have tasted in a long time and I am typically much more forgiving. Perhaps I got a bad batch or just a bad bottle?

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%