Big Daddy IPA | Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Big Daddy IPABig Daddy IPA

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers
goodbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Big Daddy IPA is a hop-head's delight, a generously dry-hopped yet surprisingly drinkable American-style India Pale Ale. Poured into a standard American pint glass, the beer is a golden straw color, with tight carbonation and a slightly off-white head that leaves a lovely lacing. The aroma is floral, fresh grass, pine needles, grapefruit, and a some subtle notes of fresh bread.

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 10-02-2001

Ratings: 1,385 |  Reviews: 484
4.65/5  rDev +24.7%

Poured into a pint glass, this brew is ful of light and butterscotch hues. Cloudier than most American IPAs, it has an average head composed mostly of large bubbles turns into a frothy sea atop the glass, leaving a fine, strong sheet of lacing most of the way down. Gorgeous to behold.

The aroma is, well...this is my favorite smelling beer to date. Smells nice, hoppy and herbal. Very herbal, green, piney and grapefruity. Malt? yeah, I think I smelled some of that in there, (clinging to life in a sea of bitter glory). If I could rate it above five I would.

The taste is a hopehead's dream. Big and citric all the way through, a filmy hop-oil goodness dominates at the end. Somewhere in the middle, in the eye of the Lupulin storm, there is a bready (almost nutty) maltiness that is deluged out of existence as quickly as it came. Undeniably attention grabbing and absolutely mouth-watering.

The mouthfeel is big, but a little disappointing and on the thin side for the style. A bit more of an oily aspect would have put this brew near perfection. Carbonation moderate and perfectly complimentary.

4.64/5  rDev +24.4%

Scarlett has just departed into the snowy night when Big Daddy made his usual grand entrance, preceded by a few gun thugs and a sweeper, in the form of Mickey Tommy, an Irishman wielding a Thompson sub-machine gun like it was a pencil. I grew up with Mickey, a fellow altar boy until we both figured out that there were better ways to spend our time than with Christ, Our Lord. Tommy went for guns and women while I went into the navy to sample the wares of the world. Coming home, I admired his style, but even more, I admired his boss' honey honey, a smoky-voiced doll named Scarlett and the rest is history, as ye shall have revealed.

From the bottle: "Legit since 1997"; "Who's your Daddy?"; "No lightweight, BIG DADDY IPA tips the scales with a huge hop flavor and clean dry finish that leaves the scene without a trace."

Fu**er came roaring out at me like I was making time with his woman! Never mind that I had been, that kind of action makes Mickey Tommy want to stitch his trademark "X" on somebody's chest, no matter who. "Back off, motherf**ker!" I shouted, grabbing Big Daddy by the lapels of his double-breasted worsted. Thia created two fingers of dense, tawny head and Big Daddy waved off the gunsels. I stepped back to to take in his immenseness, a big man who was not afraid of the many women that he kept in his inventory or the rare man who might rise to their defense. The label did not do him justice as he was from Northern Italy, a big blonde whose mother was of Swiss descent, where the label portrays him as swarthy. Deep, golden yellow with NE-quality clarity and yet Mammon, Croesus and Midas did not appear in deference to his authority. He wore his hops like cologne, applying them liberally in a devil-may-care-fashion and they attacked my nose like his boys did in that Valentine's Day event, recently. Oh, yeah, that was Big Daddy's doing, and don't let any jailhouse skell tell you otherwise. Floral, citrusy, and cutting. I actually took a step back before my first sip, but when I did, he was hammering away at my poor, bruised, aching tongue. "F**k you, Woody!" he shouted. "I know you're a wrong guy, but I haven't put my finger on it. When I do, you're deader than everybody in recent memory!" I live for this sorta thing, however, and simply smiled back at him. The finish was bone-dry and I could hear the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara Desert. "Hey, Big Daddy, I'm done with you!" I cried out as a I pushed him away from me yet again. Guns were raised and pointed at me, but I shoved through their stance and sauntered into the night.

#akashicbooks.com

My previous review, dtd 24 June 2010, was on-tap, with scores of 4; 5; 4.5; 4; 5.

This came to me with a finger of bone-white head with great retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was full-on grapefruit hoppy nirvana. I loved this beer the first time it appeared in PA in bottles, but draft was so much better! The alpha acids really stand up in a draft service. Mouthfeel was medium with a nice, fresh hop snap on the tongue. This was the type of American IPA that really got me hooked on the style. Hoppy, but not overwhelmingly so. Finish was dry, citrusy, just right. More, please, sir.

4.58/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

smooth, very nice and hoppy flavour. easily drinkable ipa

4.57/5  rDev +22.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard drinking glass.

Appearance: A clear yellow with Golden hues, and a nice foamy head with thick, sticky lacing. Medium to high carbonation.

Smell: A flowery citric hop aroma with piney overtones.

Taste: Allot like it smells. Very citric and flowery, with a good bitter alcohol bite, and a lingering warm finish. A sweet malt with some minor grainy hints in there that are soon overpowered by the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, crisp, and creamy mouthfeel, with a slight citrus tingle.

Drinkability: Although Pale Ales are not my favorite style of beer, I found this one to be exceptionally drinkable. I look forward to getting more of this soon, as an occasional alternative to what I normally drink.

4.56/5  rDev +22.3%

4.54/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +21.2%

4.52/5  rDev +21.2%

Pours from the 12oz bottle, with eyes staring at me, an amberish gold with nice thick white head.

Smell is all floral and citrusy hops. Not much else in the nose, besides these extremely appetizing hops.

Taste is incredibly smooth and hoppy. Bitterness is rich and thick, not exactly balanced, but I mean that in a good way. Malt is there, but not all that powerful. Spicy alcohol adds complexity, but the hops are the heavy hitters here. Finishes dry and bitter, and leaves you wanting more.

This is definitely a drinkable IPA. Excellent!

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

L: Pours hazy copper gold crowned by a 1” clingy white foam cap. S: Citrusy, resiny hops T: Hop driven with bitterness from start to finish seasoned with bready malts, grapefruit and pine resin. The bitterness is not harsh. Some drying astringency from the hops appears in the finish. F: Medium body and medium carbonation O: A very drinkable bitter tonic.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours pretty light pale and nothing to write home about. No bs, just a simple looking beer. Aggressive hops that fallout to pure bitterness. The body is nice and light, allowing for the hops to shine through in the most glorious way, and also making the drinkability blast through the roof. Not exceptionally challanging to drink, but still a fine choice for a night of sessioning. A few bottles of this hoppy treat give you a great head buzz similar to ganja food. The light malts and upfront bitterness are exactly what I'm looking for in an IPA. Currently my everyday beer of choice. Cheers!

Big Daddy IPA from Speakeasy Ales & Lagers