Double Daddy | Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Double DaddyDouble Daddy

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers
goodbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Doubling down on malt & hops, Double Daddy raises the stakes. Double Daddy pours a fiery orange with a lasting creamy white head. Triple dry-hopped with Pacific Northwest hops, the aroma is lush and floral with notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pine, and spice. Fresh pale malts and an orange marmalade tang balance the bold, bitter hops and lean mouthfeel.

Added by Troyone on 08-15-2005

4.74/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aaaaahhhh. Ooooohhh how I have waited for double ipa revolution! This beer is beutiful and delectibly delicious, it's like a party in my mouth.The beer is good warm or cold, but it seems when it is warm it is more complex and the party is electrified in my mouth.alls I can say is drink up.

4.71/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle. Pours out a very clear amber color with a somewhat fleeting off-white head that fades to a ring. Nice aroma of floral and citric hops mixed nicely with some sweet caramel. Medium bodied and well carbonated. Hop bitterness coats the tongue and palate but is balanced well against the malt bill. Alcohol is hidden nicely. Lingering bitterness refuses to fade. Nicely done.

4.67/5  rDev +28.3%

Poured chilled in short ale glass (multiple times)

A: apricot colored; small head; fantastic lacing; decent carbonation
S: amazing, enduring hops aroma, even ten minutes after opening; very inviting
T: robust, hearty IPA; field-fresh hops flavor; the hops are really alive and prominent; malt seems downplayed to me, but I'm not complaining
M: very smooth mouthfeel

Really nice, solid IPA; glad it came at the end of the evening

4.62/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma is quite malty with hints of toasted cereal crains and some fruity sugar. Then the hops kick in on the second sniff. Huge floral hop aroma with a little woodiness thrown in. Nice fruity fermentation ester. Very nice layered aroma.

Deep gold colored and very clear. Small initial head fades very quickly to just a small rim around the glass, but there is nice delicate lines of bubbles rising from the bottom to the surface.

First sip is powerfully bitter, bitter start, bitter mid palate and ligering hop bitterness. Once my tastebuds kind of acclimated to the hop assault, I get a very nice malt backbone with flavors of brown sugar and honey. There's also a ton of fruit esters from whatever yeast they're using. I get hints of cherry and peach and sweet red apple. After half a pint I'm noticing way more malt in the aftertaste which for the first half was pure hop oil aftertaste.

Full bodied with a light, but not at all lifeless carbonation level. It's lively and refreshing but not fizzy at all. There's a pretty solid alchol warmth in the mouth and in the stomach.

Overall, a great effort at being both a hop bomb and a big flavorful malty beer. Drinkability, well, I probably wouldn't ever want more than one at a sitting, it's too big for that. But as an occasional night ender or sipper it fits the bill nicely.

4.62/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a four pack on my latest beer run. Poured from the brown silk screened bottle into a tulip glass. I was gratified with a perfect 1-1/4" of off white head of tight dense foam that lasted and lasted and produced heavy lacing as it dissipated. The beer was slightly cloudy with big chunks of unfiltered solids floating around an eventually settling to the bottom.

The nose on this one is exceptional! I had to give it a "5" because it was so unique. Sure there was the obligatory hop presence (like a grassy fresh mowed field). But there was also a sweet, carmel-like aroma as well.... rather odiferous!

Taste: Hey!... This stuff is GOOD! The beer that eats like a meal! Unique taste that combines a bitter hop with a sweet malt for a great balance. The grassy hops taste like alfalpha and the carmel sweetness of the malt provides a sweet balance. There is also a woodsy taste to add complexity.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, rich, chewey, minimal carbonation.... all lead to a GREAT DIPA!

Drinkability: Fantastic DIPA. I think that I even prefer this to Three Floyds Dreadnaught due to it's complexity and balance. AND.... that's saying something (to knock Dreadnaught off it's pedestal).

4.54/5  rDev +24.7%

Appearance: The color of clover honey with a very light head that dissipates quickly even when aggressively poured and leaves no real tracing on the glass but overall has nice even carbonation.

Smell: A pungent and fragrant aroma; faintly marine with hints of florals.

Taste: Extremely flavorful, the word zesty comes to mind. Full of just the kinds of bitter flavors I'd expect of a double IPA. Smoothes out very quickly leaving a very light aftertaste that just made me want to keep sipping to maintain the potent initial flavors.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, the light carbonation dissipates quickly, and the whole mouth feels the flavors. There may just be that hint of alcohol on the back of my tongue post-swallowing but this could be just because I know how high ABV is.

Drinkability: To date, my favorite of the Imperial IPA; a model example of the style. Comes in packs of four, which should tell you something about it's potency but is well worth the price and I will definitely have again.

4.52/5  rDev +24.2%

This one on-tap is much different as it is on the bottle. On tap it is gets hit first by a bitter bite, but then malts kick in -- but not overly sweet malts. It is even good enough that my mother and wife enjoyed it which is strange coming from a hop-head like me.

In the bottle it just tastes funky. But on tap, it is amazing and well worth the visit. I had it at the Yard house and was told that it is their #1 IPA, even beating the likes of Stone. I can see why it would be -- although the bottle version I'd take Stone any day.

But on-tap, you can' go wrong with this one! Recommended on-tap!

4.51/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Really Speakeasy?! A damned gusher!? I opened the bottle and some beer ended up on my kitchen floor. After I finished wiping it up, I was able to pour and admire the orange, hazy body. Tiny bubbles in the carbonation and a thin white head.

S: Peaches and musk up front, butter, raisins. Nicely fragrant.

T: Again with the sweet peaches, butter, and raisins, along with some juicy orange. Some warm spices. Very sweet but balanced pleasantly. Soft white bread. Can't quite place the hop varieties, but I'm guessing amarillo is in there columbus? Not much lingering bitterness at the end, finishes quickly compared to other IIPAs.

M: The roundest IIPA I have ever had. Creamy.

O: I hate to admit that I am not usually a fan of Speakeasy's beers, but this one turns things around! I think I will give them some more tries in the future.

Great beer