Double Daddy | Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Double DaddyDouble Daddy

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Doubling down on malt & hops, Double Daddy raises the stakes. Double Daddy pours a fiery orange with a lasting creamy white head. Triple dry-hopped with Pacific Northwest hops, the aroma is lush and floral with notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pine, and spice. Fresh pale malts and an orange marmalade tang balance the bold, bitter hops and lean mouthfeel.

Added by Troyone on 08-15-2005

Reviews: 332 | Ratings: 696
2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

Brown 12oz bottle, poured into a Harpoon IPA 20oz glass. No freshness date.

Appearance: Orange-yellow, with a thin white head that stays and grips the glass, a little spotty lacing. Mostly clear.

Nose: Sweet hop candy, a lot of orange, something like toffee candy, ozone (fresh smelling), fresh cut sapling.

Palate: Moderate to light carbonation. Prickly alcohol, some sweetness, and a medium to light body (for the style) that gets watery on the finish. Flavors are rather thin, with tree bark joining the aromas above. Finish is rather short and really bitter, but without the usual accompanying hop flavors, and too much alcohol.

Notes: Not one of my favorites. I feel like it's a little too simple on the palate and the body wavers, going watery right before the finish. There's a lot of bitterness here, but not a lot of hop character. Leaves some things to be desired.

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%

Picked up a bottle at Table & Vine following a friend's advice.

12oz. brown bottle with lazer etched label talking about prohibition stuff.

Poured a bright amber with a nice layer of white foam and a little bit of lacing spider-webbed on my glass.

Aroma is interesting. Malty, hints of pungent hops and a strange tea-tree / hemp oil aroma.

Full-bodied, plenty of carbonation and a slight slickness in texture.

Light malt sweetness up front. hops are very light in this one. Grassy, herbal hop bitterness that really does not jive with the DIPA's that I am a fan of. That tea-tree oil aroma is tasted n flavor as well. The beer finishes with a pungent dryness, combined with soap makes this beer overall not very pleasant.

Abv is high and warming.

I'll be passing on this one in the future.

Cheers!

2.76/5  rDev -24.2%

Thanks to Zorro for the bottle.

Appearance: Unassuming clear copper color, but a nice big white head, slow fading, a fairly solid curtain of lace.

Smell: Sweet and malty, a little citrus, but none too strong.

Taste: Very sweet and citric, sour and bitter. Too sweet, the hops don't stand out enough. It may be the hop type, but the flavor doesn't work here.

Drinkability: Sweetness aside, this may be a decent DIPA, but as is, I would pass.

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

A: Pours yellow-orange with just a touch of head.

S: Sweet, some hops, but I just cant get past the sweet fruitiness. Small bit of malt.

T: Hoppy and bitter, piney, sweet fruit, melon, then bitter again. Still sweet again, too sweet.

M: Kind of strange. Smooth but cloying.

D: One and done. Not really enjoying this one.

2.74/5  rDev -24.7%

22oz. bomber poured into a New Belgium globe. Bottling date unlisted.

Appearance: Poured out clear and golden, yielding a quarter inch of soft, white foam. Body shows off fantastic clarity, and boasts a thick column of active carbonation. Each sip adds thick gobs of lacing to the glass walls. Style-wise, I've got now complaints. However, this appearance lacks any sort of charisma or charm (maybe uniqueness is a better word?), as odd as that may sound.

Smell: Buttery whole grains, grassy hops, citrus (lemon-lime), and pine. Sadly, that's about all. I suppose there's also a touch of alcohol. There just isn't much to say about the nose on Double Daddy; it's pretty boring.

Taste: Whole grains and oily, grassy hops are the first flavors I get. Caramel comes through more as it warms, as do floral esters. Backbone is doughy and resinous. Not a bad combination of flavors, but I expect a lot more complexity from an imperial IPA. This beer could also use a bit more bitterness, but maybe it's just an old bottle.

Mouthfeel: Moderately-to-highly carbonated; a bit rough at first, but much softer toward the end of the bottle. Body is very oily and entirely coats the palate, yielding a flavorful and long-lasting aftertaste. Medium-bodied for the style. Beer finishes on a dry, slightly bitter note.

Drinkability: This beer lacks character and shows signs of poor craftsmanship: too many grassy notes, not enough bitterness, too few fruit flavors. I was reminded of a cheap (regular) American IPA when I drank this beer. Won't be buying this one again.

2.73/5  rDev -25%

All in all this is a decent Imperial IPA. The beer would have been tremendously improved had the citrus tones and malt been able to overpower the somewhat hot smell and taste from a 9.5 ABV beer. Try this if your curious and really like high octane beers. You won't find anything truly special but you will still have smartly spent your beer dollars.

2.73/5  rDev -25%

Clear orange with a short, off-white cap that falls quickly to a ring. Some short-lived lacing. Seems viscous, since the bubbles rising to the surface seem pretty lethargic. Smells of citrusy hops, alcohol, and sweet malt. Straightforward sweetness up front mixed with alcohol flavour and a bit of toastiness. Bitterness ramps up into a harsh, grassy finish with significant alcohol warmth. Hop flavour is reminiscent of sweet oranges. Carbonation is on the low side, texture nearly syrupy but still manages to seem thin on the malt. A bit of astringent, bitter dryness. Definitely not to my tastes.

2.72/5  rDev -25.3%

Medium amber color with a medium sized head with decent looking lace.

The aroma did not jump up at me with floral hops and there were some malt hints.

The taste is bitter with some malt tones,some mild grapefruit and a very sharp sting of alcohol. The balance just seemed off. sort of dry in the finish. The hops were good and the warmth was a titan,so it was really the balance.

Notes: I tried it and overall I just felt it was off the mark.

2.71/5  rDev -25.5%

Light to copperish amber color, with nice frothy head, just a shade off of white. Head is holding up well, reducing very slowly.

Smells very hoppy as one would expect, but there's almost a burnt character to it. Not sure what's up.

Holy shit...not in a good way. Tastes like grain alcohol. Very little hop flavor, or any other flavor for that matter. Again, not sure what's up with this beer.

Astringent as a mofo.

This bomber is going to leave me with a nice buzz, but it's going to be like work getting it down.

I'm a fan of Big Daddy and Speakeasy in general. I'lll often, especially lately, grab a pint of it around SF, but this did not work for me at all.

2.71/5  rDev -25.5%

2 - 3 finger head with decent structure tops this beer. Large bubbles in the off white head. The beer has the slightest haze and is orange/amber in color. Just a touch of visible carbonation. spotty lacing.

Aroma is a touch of pine, of ripe pineapple. A touch of alcohol.

Flavor is o.k. A bit focused on the alcohol. Mostly some pine notes and a touch of lemon..(pith) Not a great deal of depth here. The finish is more of alcohol vs. some hop bitterness.

Very little carbonation. Not flat, but almost.Medium body.

Not especially drinkable. Not my favorite DPA...

2.71/5  rDev -25.5%

Not so great DIPA, all alcohol and bitterness. The mark of a good IPA or DIPA is hop flavor, not hop bitterness. Speakeasy's Double Daddy misses the mark in this respect. It's a strong beer at 9.5% abv and a bitter beer, but somehow, the hop bitterness doesn't even do a particularly good job at masking the alcohol. They really have a lot to work on with this beer. It's probably one of my least favorite DIPAs or IPAs out of around 100 reviewed so far. There's a caramel malt backbone in there somewhere, but the bitterness and alcohol mask it nearly entirely. I've given this beer a few chances now, and I'm still quite disappointed. I really want to like Speakeasy as a hometown brewery, but I simply haven't been a fan of their beers thus far. This beer is pretty middle of the road in terms of appearance, which is about the nicest thing that I can say about as compared to the style.

2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

Being in love with DIPAs, this beer struck me oddly. Let me explain

The appearance wasnt bad, although its a little lighter in color that I'm used to, not necessarily a bad thing. Its a light amber color that yielded a good head with lots of retention and lacing.

The smell is very malty with some hops in there accompanied by some alcohol.

The taste is where this beer lost me (no big deal right? lol). God there is just NOT enough hops presence here! Its very malty, to the point of being unbalanced. I need more hops man! Basically all I taste is malts and alcohol with a tiiiiny touch of hops, you gotta search for it though.

The mouthfeel is awkward. I'm not sure how to describe it but I'll try. The malts kind of throws me off here. Maybe its the strange malts + alcohol combo that leaves a strange aftertaste. Its like alcohol first, malts second and then very late to the party is a midget hops character.

Not drinkable, I'll be honest. I hate being critical of any DIPA... but man..this is just not exceptional..and barely average.. actually.. not average.. I don't like this beer.

Wont be buying again, wouldn't recommend to any IPA lover.

2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a clear pale orange color with a small less than 1 finger deep off white head.

Aroma of light citrus hops, pine, grassy, some booze, faint caramel.

The taste here is hoppy & bitter, but not alot of the aromas from the nose come through. Sort of a vegetable like taste going on. Still some pine, citrus, and big boozy flavor.

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, somewhat thin I'd say.

Couldn't say I could have another. I typically like beers from Speakeasy. This was a miss for me.

2.66/5  rDev -26.9%

Thought I'd give this fellow a try since I havent had any brews from this brewery before.
Looks good enough in the glass. Pretty typical IPA type appearance that leaves a nice sheet of lace as the glass empties.
Smells.... boozey. Pretty boozey to almost too boozey. You get some hops in there, as well as fermented fruit smells but for the most part it doesn't strike me as thrilling or especially attractive. It's not off putting but it does not seduce.
Flavors work along the same way. Booze is strong with some hop flavor and bitterness. Booze seems to make this sweeter than it need be. Balance is off as far as my palate tells me. Mouthfeel is take it or leave it.
Towards the end of the serving I found myself thinking about pouring out what was left in my glass. Things just weren't working out between us. I'm not likely to buy this again and can't recommend this in the face of so many tasty examples of the style.

2.64/5  rDev -27.5%

I enjoy Speakeasy's IPA, so I was looking forward to giving this a try. Poured on tap into a tulip at Amsterdam Ale House.

Appearance: Nice hazy golden amber. There's a one finger, remarkably even, foamy white head. Unfortunately, it goes all black hole and collapses on itself shortly thereafter, leaving no trace in terms of lacing or even a lingering ring.

Smell: Nice hop profile. I'm getting mostly citrus, with a solid showing by pine and floral. Not bad at all.

Taste: Hoo, boy. The hops, which smelled so nice, are overly astringent and peppery on the tongue. Not very pleasant. There's grapefruit, and pine that comes out more as it warms, but it's all very harsh. Keep in mind, I'm a major hophead, so if I say it's harsh, it's harsh. No balancing sweet malt to speak of. This is enhanced by the very strong alcohol presence in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation, but on the whole a bit light for the style, which makes the strong alcoholic presence seem out of place to me. I don't mind a boozy IPA, as long as it's thick. This is not.

Drinkability: Double IPAs are undoubtedly my favorite style, but this one is the first I've strongly disliked. Doubly disappointing since their regular IPA is solid.

2.63/5  rDev -27.7%

Eeek! This one is waaay too sweet. It's like a lousy attempt at a 120-Minute IPA. That beer is crazy sweet too, but I think it's also hoppier and well suited for aging. For me, this was hard to put down. Out of balance, not enjoyable. Maybe someone will try this and say to themselves that it is a suitable replacement for 120-Minute due to its cost and availability, but meh.

2.6/5  rDev -28.6%

Appearance: Hazy honey amber color. Short thin head with low retention and slight lacing.

Smell: Caramel malts. Extremely bitter hops. Resiny pine. Some tropical fruit. Heavy alcohol smell in the mix that doesn't blend so well with the beer. Needs some better finishing hops.

Taste: Grapefuit, pine and then big dose of warming almost mouth numbing alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Malty. Very heavy. Finishes warm and bitter. Could use some more balance.

Overall: One of the weaker double IPA's I've head because usually double IPA's have even more hop and malt flavor than IPA's but this one is just too big bitter and boozey. I won't revisit.

2.6/5  rDev -28.6%

I got this beer in a trade from washburnkid! Thank you!

I went into this beer without looking at a single review on it, but found myself agreeing on a alot of points here.

It pours a decent color with a small head, good for a DIPA. The smell is malty/ sugar sweet. No bitterness at all. The taste is SWEET like pineapple sweet with a touch of tart in there. Not bitter, tart. It was OK.

As for M: and D: It was ok on the palate but for 9.5% you need to enjoy a beer, and I was just OK with it.

2.59/5  rDev -28.8%

I was pretty darn dissapointed with this one. . .so much so that I don't even feel like going in to the full fledged review.

Bought a 4-pack 12ozs at BevMo. Poured with little head (about 1/8"), and close to no lacing. Looks more like a god Pale than a a DIPA (or an IPA for that matter!). Average nose for an IPA. Taste wasn't bad. . .just lacking. For a double IPA, I'm not sensing double anything. . .if nothing else, the lack of everything leaves it balanced. Anderson Valley's HopOttin standard IPA has a WAY more impressive taste & mouthfeel.

If this is the only option. . .go for it, it's not bad. . .but it's far from good. Very dissapointing =(

2.59/5  rDev -28.8%

Served on-draught into a plastic cup at Speakeasy's decrepit warehouse - I mean - brewpub. Reviewed from notes. This style is usually brewed without regard for balance, so my expectations were low.

Presentation: Nothing turns me off to a beer more than when its brewers see no issue with serving it into plastic cups. Come on, now.

A: No head at all (likely as a result of the high ABV). Colour is a cloudy orange.

Sm: Orange citrus ester fruit hops. A simple, generic, mild strength aroma.

T: Light hops alongside a backbone of awkward malts. Light butterscotch is present - barely (diacetyl?). Built alright, but imbalanced to be sure. Its biggest flaw is its simplicity. Luckily, no alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Doesn't suit the flavour. Also, it's sharp and thick, limiting its drinkability.

Dr: It hides its ABV well, but the sharp, thick mouthfeel and lack of complexity or inspiration make this a lackluster brew I'll never have again.

2.59/5  rDev -28.8%

Lightly chilled bomber into a shaker pint. No visible bottling date.

Look- Clear medium amber, three fingers of head that fall quickly, leaving a decent cap and plenty of splotchy lace.

Smell- Pine, chocolate, toffee, and a dose of solvent. As it warms, it takes on a musty, musky aroma that overwhelms what clean scents there were. Not a dealbreaker, necessarily, but not very appealing, either.

Taste- Nutty malt, some chocolate, oats perhaps, strong boozy feel. Earthy, dark, musky hop flavor. English-y I suppose, but it needs something brighter to compensate for the alcohol; the tealike hops and overly assertive malt aren't cutting it for me. Herbal aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium to full body, low carb. Sluggish feel, moderately harsh alcohol burn. 12 oz is more than enough, I think I'll finally break out those beer saver caps I got as a present a while back. Too heavy? Too light? I'm not sure.

Overall- The moonshine of beers? I'm not sure, but I won't be picking it up again. Feels like it will put hair on your chest. I think I can see what they were trying to do here, and if dark, musky hops and dominant malt are your thing and you don't mind a bit of nailpolish remover, it might suit you well. I'm not a big fan, however.

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

I'm not a huge fan of this brewery, but I don't see a lot of double IPAs in 12 oz bottles, so I decided to give this one a shot. Bottle poured into a Stone IPA glass.

A: Darker than most IPAs, this resembles more of an ESB to me. The head poured fairly thin and quickly faded into a ring.

S: Oily hops and sweet citrus. It has a fairly pronounced smell.

T: Overwhelming hops and alcohol; definitely not a subtle beer. The high ABV is quite apparent.

M: Medium-bodied and crisply carbonated.

Very rough around the edges, especially when compared to other Pacific-brewed double IPAs, such as Rogue's I2PA or Stone's Ruination.

2.48/5  rDev -31.9%

Purchased from By the Bottle, in Vancouver WA in a standard 12oz bottle. Pours great except the head is rather light. For the nose I'm picking up more malts than hops and the hops that are there are a bit dull. In fact in smells more like an amber than an Imperial IPA. The flavor follows the nose. To much caramel and there's a bit of a tough bite going on. I'm almost wondering if my bottle was bad! Overall this was not so good and it came fairly highly recommended. I think I try this again and see if she tastes the same and edit my review accordingly.

Prost!

2.46/5  rDev -32.4%

Murky brownish color with a nice head, the flavor is hoppy but not in a way that really impressed me. The hops were more on the earthy side and not very citrusy or bright. Not really what I was hoping for in an American IPA. The aroma is earthy too with a slight aroma of malts.

2.32/5  rDev -36.3%

Poured into a tulip, it has a clear, light copper color. The head is newspaper white, with a film of foam and really good lacing. There are quite a bit of bubbles floating in the glass, creating a more lively looking carbonation than most beers in this style.

If I were reviewing the aroma based on the bottle cap, this would score really well. Unfortunately, the beer in the glass smells like an old, faded DIPA. There is a decent caramel malt sweetness, as well as a subtle fruitiness. The hops have a faint citrus quality, but they are hidden behind the smell of wet newspaper. This is either really oxidized, or old.

The taste is a little more close to that of a DIPA. It's got high bitterness, some fruitiness, and just a touch of malts. It really just isn't that great though. The hop flavor doesn't have any fresh pop to it, and it has a bit of a cardboard taste. Overall, it tastes and feels a bit lifeless. The body is on the thin side, but not in a good way. The carbonation is a bit too high, which only adds to the other issues.

The bottle claims the beers are "fresh" because they are made in small batches. This is certainly not fresh, which is why all brewers should have freshness dates on their bottles. I'm sure this is an old bottle, but without a date, I can only say this is a bad beer.

Double Daddy from Speakeasy Ales & Lagers