Scarlett Red Rye | Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Scarlett Red RyeScarlett Red Rye

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers
goodbeer.com

Style: Rye Beer

With a creamy body and rich roasty flavors, Scarlett is the perfect complement to the cooler months of Fall & Winter. This rye ale pours a deep red with a sticky off-white layer of foam and medium levels of carbonation. Note the aromas of fresh rye bread, caramel malt and earthy hops. Sweet malts are accented by subtle flavors of caramel, toffee, and chocolate. Notes of toasted grain, leather, and a mild peppery spice lead to a medium-dry finish.

Added by UCLABrewN84 on 08-31-2012

Love all the beers from this brewery, have not had a bad tasting beer yet. finally got to try this one and was very surprised how good it was. Out of the 12oz releases from the Speakeasy brewery this might be my favorite. give this beer and any other beer from this brewery a try. if you're ever in the San Francisco area this is a really cool brewery to visit, excellent vibe and friends service.

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

4.46/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It had been a snow day at the school where I was putting in time as a teacher of high school English, promoting illicit activities on the side, always after school and definitely off-campus. I called Big Daddy's squeeze, Scarlett, to see what she was up to and she agreed to meet me at our local speak, The Fridge, since not only did they serve great pizza to go with the wide array of beer, but they had a roaring potbelly stove. Y'see, Big Daddy had a potbelly of his own and an equally fat wallet, but he kept Scarlett on the side in a cold water flat and we had begun making our own time. Dangerous? Deadly, but when she would step up to the mic at WLNC-FM, 98.6 on your radio dial, and hold forth in that Siren-like voice of hers, wearing a red dress and pearls and not much else, well, I didn't seem to care.

From the bottle: :"Limited Release"; "Hand Crafted"; "Scarlett Red Rye Ale captivates with an act that ranges from sweet hops highs to spicy rye tones. Scarlett hits the notes that will set your heart on fire."; "Legit since 1997".

Legit, ha! These Limited Release beers don't go to just anybody. I knew the secret knock and took my place under the brightest lamp in the place, as is my custom. I am not hiding from anybody, plus the bulls have gotten me accustomed to sitting under a close, hot lamp while wearing the bracelets. I just call my mouthpiece, Jimmy Keaveney, and he works his magic.

In the meantime, just as I was popping the cap, Scarlett was trying to pop my cap under the table, using only her bare feet! It becomes so hard to focus under these circumstances ... I got a massive amount of head from this one, full, medium-tan, two-plus fingers that extended above the rim and then held as beautifully as she did. Color was scarlet as fever, ruby as rupees, garnet as high-grit paper and with a NE-quality clarity that made me want to take her in my arms and run her off to Lincoln or Omaha. Anywhere to get her away from Big Daddy and those abusive, ring-laden mitts of his. He had no compunction about using her like a punching bag and gave no thought to removing his big, heavy rings while he did so. I lifted Scarlett to my nose and inhaled, drinking in her peppery spiciness that she naturally exuded. She was the embodiment of sugar 'n' spice, with a lovely understated maltiness that made me stand at attention and salute her loveliness. The lacing of her stockings ran their full length and my mouth watered in anticipation of what was forthcoming. I put my tongue in and it was like being plugged into an electrical socket! My senses were overwhelmed with the cool, spicy pepperiness of rye coupled with the sweet maltiness. I looked up and Scarlett had her head thrown back in ecstasy, but only for a moment. "We gotta get rid of him, Woody," she hissed from barely spread lips. "Who?" I asked, but I already knew. Big Daddy! She would never be free of that sumbitch until he wore concrete shoes or had a Tommy gun's "X" stitched across his chest. "I'll make it happen, baby, I promise," I intoned as I drank deeply of her rye muskiness again. Little did I know that it would mark the beginning of my end, but the finish was as dry and amusing as any rye that has ever passed my lips and down my gullet.

#akashicbooks.com

4.29/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev +14.7%

4.27/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From an undated bottle. Love the artwork on this one. Pours a dark red color with a finger of tan head. Smells of roasted malts and rye. Medium mouthfeel, a good amount of carbonation. Taste is rich and malty with some notes of spice and chocolate. A nicely balanced rye beer.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Scarlett Red Rye from Speakeasy Ales & Lagers