Scarlett Red Rye | Speakeasy Ales & Lagers

Scarlett Red RyeScarlett Red Rye

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers
goodbeer.com

Style: Rye Beer

With a creamy body and rich roasty flavors, Scarlett is the perfect complement to the cooler months of Fall & Winter. This rye ale pours a deep red with a sticky off-white layer of foam and medium levels of carbonation. Note the aromas of fresh rye bread, caramel malt and earthy hops. Sweet malts are accented by subtle flavors of caramel, toffee, and chocolate. Notes of toasted grain, leather, and a mild peppery spice lead to a medium-dry finish.

Added by UCLABrewN84 on 08-31-2012

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

On tap at Tony’s Darts Away in Burbank, CA.

Pours a clear copper with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Thick foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, rye, caramel, and herbal hop aromas. Taste is much the same with a slight toast/roast flavor and an alcohol kick with each sip. There is a mild roasty and hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and easy to drink.

3.47/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

a well made beer, but not my palate here. there is too much malty sweetness in this one for the rye to really have much of its usual spice impact, and instead we are left with a rather heavy red amber beer without a ton of flavor. looks nice though, clear dark copper in color with over an inch of tan head. it smells grainy and sweet, and the taste matches. i dont get much hops at all from either, and the rye is just way too subtle for me, but admittedly i like to taste rye when its in the grain bill. lots of body, lots of residual sugar. it could use some bottle conditioning or something to clean it up a bit, but its well carbonated and suitable for cooler early spring days. probably the least impressive speakeasy brew i have had to date, but still far from a poor showing.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

This poured out as a brown color until I held it up to the sunlight and saw its nice deep red hue. The head was a cream color with a decent retention and very thin lacing. The smell of the beer is toasted with a touch of earthy hops and malt sweetness. The taste also gave off a big toasted flavor upfront with some subtle chocolate notes as well. The finish of the beer was bitter with some caramel in the mix as well. The mouthfeel of the beer is medium bodied, it's got a dry finish with a good carbonation. Overall it's a pretty solid brew.

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Big foam in the pilsner glass. Second pour yielded a tall whipped cream head with handsome dark copper amber color. Quite sudsy and a pleasant mouthful. A whiff of something bready in the smell. Caraway? Maybe that's my imagination.

The flavor is on the mild side with an odd sweet sensation. Sort of grainy with an interesting resiny tang that may be the rye. Otherwise not much sense of the often spicy and dry rye-ness. Not much in the way of hops, though there is a pleasant bitterish aftertaste. A hint of something like cardboard that is less pleasant. Still, this grows on you after sipping through the 12 oz. Maybe this would be a good quaff. I'll try it more chilled next time. From the six-pack bought at Beach Front Liquor in San Clemente.

3.6/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

4.46/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It had been a snow day at the school where I was putting in time as a teacher of high school English, promoting illicit activities on the side, always after school and definitely off-campus. I called Big Daddy's squeeze, Scarlett, to see what she was up to and she agreed to meet me at our local speak, The Fridge, since not only did they serve great pizza to go with the wide array of beer, but they had a roaring potbelly stove. Y'see, Big Daddy had a potbelly of his own and an equally fat wallet, but he kept Scarlett on the side in a cold water flat and we had begun making our own time. Dangerous? Deadly, but when she would step up to the mic at WLNC-FM, 98.6 on your radio dial, and hold forth in that Siren-like voice of hers, wearing a red dress and pearls and not much else, well, I didn't seem to care.

From the bottle: :"Limited Release"; "Hand Crafted"; "Scarlett Red Rye Ale captivates with an act that ranges from sweet hops highs to spicy rye tones. Scarlett hits the notes that will set your heart on fire."; "Legit since 1997".

Legit, ha! These Limited Release beers don't go to just anybody. I knew the secret knock and took my place under the brightest lamp in the place, as is my custom. I am not hiding from anybody, plus the bulls have gotten me accustomed to sitting under a close, hot lamp while wearing the bracelets. I just call my mouthpiece, Jimmy Keaveney, and he works his magic.

In the meantime, just as I was popping the cap, Scarlett was trying to pop my cap under the table, using only her bare feet! It becomes so hard to focus under these circumstances ... I got a massive amount of head from this one, full, medium-tan, two-plus fingers that extended above the rim and then held as beautifully as she did. Color was scarlet as fever, ruby as rupees, garnet as high-grit paper and with a NE-quality clarity that made me want to take her in my arms and run her off to Lincoln or Omaha. Anywhere to get her away from Big Daddy and those abusive, ring-laden mitts of his. He had no compunction about using her like a punching bag and gave no thought to removing his big, heavy rings while he did so. I lifted Scarlett to my nose and inhaled, drinking in her peppery spiciness that she naturally exuded. She was the embodiment of sugar 'n' spice, with a lovely understated maltiness that made me stand at attention and salute her loveliness. The lacing of her stockings ran their full length and my mouth watered in anticipation of what was forthcoming. I put my tongue in and it was like being plugged into an electrical socket! My senses were overwhelmed with the cool, spicy pepperiness of rye coupled with the sweet maltiness. I looked up and Scarlett had her head thrown back in ecstasy, but only for a moment. "We gotta get rid of him, Woody," she hissed from barely spread lips. "Who?" I asked, but I already knew. Big Daddy! She would never be free of that sumbitch until he wore concrete shoes or had a Tommy gun's "X" stitched across his chest. "I'll make it happen, baby, I promise," I intoned as I drank deeply of her rye muskiness again. Little did I know that it would mark the beginning of my end, but the finish was as dry and amusing as any rye that has ever passed my lips and down my gullet.

#akashicbooks.com

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Scarlett pours as beautiful as the girl on the label. The beer was a deep rich clear amber with white head that is leaving a nice lace. The scent was very malty. The taste was ok....started very nice then a weird stringent funk piled on leaving me to scratch my head. Does not come off the pallet as nice as other ryes. The mouthfeel was medium in body with good carbonation. Overall this beer is ok....not sure I'd run out to buy it.

3.66/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a Dogfish Ale house glass.

Three fingers of light tan and creamy retention head foam up, big and bellowing with lots of staying power. A super dark reddish brown amber, nearly blood colored but deeper with little slow rising carbonation coming up. The body color on this beer is just true red and to name, exquisite. Minimal lacing, with a little light clump. Love it.

Nose has some chewy dry malt sensations, and light cream. Not much else, but it's very nice and quite solid and simple.

Palate hits with a very light body. Light malts but also a hint of wetness that rolls over the tongue. Finishes clean with a nice classic rye malt spice kick. Hop angle seems to be buried with the spicy malt dominating.

Overall this isn't really that bad, and it's easy drinking. Just a little bit more oomph and depth and this would really hit the spot.

Scarlett Red Rye from Speakeasy Ales & Lagers