Crispy Ship

Aug 01, 2022
SCORE
n/a
Crispy ShipCrispy Ship
Notes: Imagine being shipwrecked on a deserted island... What's the first thing you need? A Crispy Pils. Then you can address the situation with a refreshed and positive state of mind. Crispy Ship is the base beer for one of our all-time-favorites: Red Beard, Barrel Aged Pils. It's bright, refreshing, incredibly well balanced and helpful when shipwrecked...

It's brewed with German Pilsner malt, German Lager Yeast and lots of Barbe Rouge Hops.
Recent ratings and reviews.
Reviewed by REVZEB from Illinois

3.84/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
Appears to be cloudy in the yellow body with two fingers of white foam. Floral hops atop a grainy and bready base in the nose. Pilsner malt backbone supports the elements from the nose, but it is a bit perfumey with the floral notes on the finish. Feel is great up front with the malt, yeast and hops working together in a bready and decently hopped way, but the end fades instead of finishing crisply
Wednesday at 12:47 AM
Reviewed by colts9016 from Idaho

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
Name: Crispy Ship
Brewery: Pondaseta Brewing
Location: Amarillo Texas
Style: Pilsner
Date: Unknown
I have consumed several of these beers already. The pilsner has this twist I was not expecting but fell in love with. I am using my Bruery Stange, and the temperature is 46 degrees. The pour created a frothy and airy two-fingered white head with above-averaged retention. The slow dissipation left a massive amount of lacing on the glass. Examining the color of the beer, charting around SRM 2, a pale straw yellow. The clarity is clear and brilliant, with lots of carbonation activity. The appearance is above average.
When I previously nosed this beer. I smelt strawberries, and I wanted to know why. Only to learn Barbra Rouge hops were used. Nosing the beer again for the 20th time, I detect crackers, malty sweetness, limes, oranges, lightly toasted bread, and yeast. Typically, I would scoff at such a twist, but I craved the taste.
Generally, I am not into redoing a beer and using different hops, IE, hybrid IPA. I cannot get used to them; you are either a WCIPA or NEIPA, not both. However, the familiar cracker, lightly toasted malts, and subtle malty sweetness lured me in. I can dig pilsners with a bit of orange, herbal, limes, and berries.
The mouthfeel is dry and finishes crisp. The body is light with medium-high carbonation.
I have enjoyed all eight cans of these beers. The modern twist gives this classic pilsner a freshening up.
Sep 06, 2022