Michigan Brewing Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale
Michigan Brewing Company

Michigan Brewing Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced AleMichigan Brewing Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
3.92 | pDev: 13.78%
From:
Michigan Brewing Company

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Reviews: 97 | Ratings: 131
Reviews by Viggo:
4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

On tap at Cole's.

Pours a clear orange, thin slightly off white head forms, drops to a thin ring rather quickly and leaves a few lace spots, real nice colour. Smell is awesome, very spicy, pumpkin, tons of caramel, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, biscuit, honey, very rich and intense, amazing spice combo. Taste is similar, super spicy up front, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla, biscuits, toffee, honey, graham cracker, pumpkins, crazy spice finish. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium to high carbonation. Very satisfying, reminds me of Pumpking, how pumpkin ales should be!

A nice seasonal offering. Pours out to a burnt orange to bright brown in the glass with a nice aroma of malt and spices. The taste brings forth a myriad of spice tastes, with allspice and cinnamon coming to mind. I drank this on a crisp, cool evening standing outside with a pretty good breeze that said that fall was in the air. Michigan Brewing is starting to impess me.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

Appears a ruby caramel amber hue forms a large off white head, good retention lacing is thin and uneven with each sip. Aroma yes folks pumpkin pie, oh my god my beer smells like pumpkin pie. Is this trend good for beer probably not but does it sell probably so. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and all spice oh joy a touch of caramel maltiness and bam a bit of gourdiness. Flavor, really this one is even has the whipped cream effect going on they made liquid extract pumpkin pie this is a beverage of the future fuck the bubblegum in willy wonka that tastes like a four course meal and give the beer that tastes like our favorite autmuninal dessert. It works that's crazy I can act like I don't want pumpkin pie in my beer but it actually works it tastes good. Spicy, creamy, whipped up sugary pumpkin flavor this is solid and not cloying during a whole glass that surprises the hell out of me. Usually I'm not feeling something like this but Michigan brewing has done it one of the better pumpkin ales I've come across still I like the stronger alcohol ones like Weyerbacher and DFH but this one tastes so good. Mouthfeel is medium bodied a little stick with residual sugars and a tad heavy on carbonation other than that no complaints although the spices do lie heavy on the palate. Drinkability for dessert like I said but damn it's hard to not had on the whole pumpkin ale transition but this one is tasty, fuck beer trends go the best of me.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a somewhat subdued amber color-a tad pale thru and thru. Big pumpkin pie spice aroma-though not overly cloves or cinnamon like some. Great flavor-nice malty presence with just the right level of spiciness. Body is good though might be just a tad thin-never the less its damn close to what you want. Overall a very nice beer I'm impressed. I hate the use the terms or phrases that a beer has changed or "remember last years" However-that being said-this is eerily similar to the old Harpoon Xmas beer. No real pumpkin flavor but it has a great "holiday" spiciness that I find can be quite addictive. Thanks to deejaydan for the sample.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

A really good pumpkin ale. This really hit the spot. Orange amber appearance, with a nice cream colored head. Some lace noted. Medium low carbonation level. Aromas of cinnamon, spice, and pumpkin malts mixed very well. The flavor was robust and slightly sweet, reminding me of sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie and spiced cider. Very nice. Mouthfeel was good, not too thick, and not too heavy. Not at all syrupy. High drinkability. This could easily be my pumpkin ale of choice when it comes to local selections. Recommended.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

First, I can't guarantee that this beer isn't the same as MBC's previous pumpkin ale offerings nicely packaged in a new label.

Second, I have to imagine that folks will either love this beer or hate it. It's far from flavorless; so I think it's a matter of whether you dig what they've put together in the flavor profile here. My fiancee and I happen to dig it.

Pours dark orange -- rusty, burnt orange. Smallish cream-colored head adorns the top. Immediately noticeable are strong spiced aromas, like mom's pumpkin pie. As expected, the flavor carries these forth to the palate. Everything under the sun. Nutmeg, a little cinnamon, cloves, some nuttiness, perhaps even a little ginger sweetness. In some ways, this reminds me of a low-key Christmas Ale. Regardless, it's chock full of a potent, spicy fall flavors. It's limited in some ways by its own potency. Depending on my mood, I might not be able to make this a session brew. But then again, perhaps I could.

I can imagine perhaps having this with some sort of pie -- apple perhaps?

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz. bottle.

Partly cloudy pumpkin orange with brassy highlights. Thick finger of whipped, very light beige head. Great lacing. Pumpkin pie nose. Lots of spices: nutmeg, cloves, vanilla, and maybe allspice. Plenty of graham cracker and caramel malt as well. Very nice.

Some lightly toasted grains up front, followed by lightly-sweetened pumpkin pulp. Graham cracker and caramel malt come through, providing a nice backbone for a blanket of clove, allspice, nutmeg, and maybe a hint of cinnamon. Moderate body, with a slightly creamy feel. Finish is flush with spices and traces of sweetened pumpkin-y malt. One of the best "non-imperial" pumpkin ales I've had. Nice job MBC!

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottle: Poured an orangey color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma of cinnamon and cloves is quite strong with light pumpkin notes. Taste is also a nice mix between some strong notes of cinnamon and cloves with light pumpkin and some semi-sweet caramelized malt. Body is average with good carbonation. Well brewed with just about right amount of spices.

3.87/5  rDev -1.3%

This was one of the more spicier pumpkin beers I have tried. Lots of spices, esp in the aroma. Notes of ginger and nutmeg dominate but there also seems to be cinnamon in there. Pumpkin flavor is stronger in the aroma but lacking a bit in taste. The body is slightly thin which detracts from mouthfeel and drinkability. I think I could only have two max. of these in a sitting. But overall, it's a solid attempt at the pumpkin style.

3.27/5  rDev -16.6%

When I had it at MBC, it was called "Pumpin' Pumpkin, so whther it's the same recipe or not, I can't say...

Well, ya either like pumpkin or ya don't. And I do like this one. This has everything a pumpkin pie has except the Crisco. Has a strong pie taste, but not unpleasantly so. This 2003 edition (listed as 5.0% ABV) nicely balances the pumpkin and spice aspects, though at the cost of the beer flavor. Certainly would taste best fresh at the brewery.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a clear clean amber color, okay head rentention on this. Aroma is Strong spice, nutmeg, I think. Taste is straight ahead spices, some malt to balance the spice though. Mouthfeel is nice, a solid beer, and probably one of the better pumpkin/spice beers that I've had.

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

Autumn leaves orange with bright pumpkin skin edges. The creamy cap is pale orange-gold in color and is sticky enough to maintain contact with the glass in spots as it melts. A few ghost-like blobs of lace maintain the spooky, Halloween theme.

I could tell on the pour that the nose would be incredible. It might be a case of spice overload on the palate, but it sure as hell works here. An abundance of cinnamon and nutmeg blast out the glass, covering up any pumpkininess that might be present. This is, without a doubt, the spiciest pumpkin ale that I've ever smelled.

It isn't the spiciest pumpkin ale that I've ever tasted, but it's really, really close. With a great name like Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale, the brewers had no choice but to crank the flavor knob up to '11'. That is exactly what they've done, although the beer would make even more of an impact if it was a little bigger (read: maltier).

Forget being able to appreciate the actual gourd, assuming it was even used. There's such a whirlwind of zesty cinnamon and sweet nutmeg and... who knows what else... that no other flavors have a chance to impact the taste buds. That includes malt, by the way. This is good stuff, but one bottle goes a long way.

As I've already alluded to, the body/mouthfeel is on the skinny side. I like my pumpkin ales to be plumper than this. Actually, I like almost all styles to be plumper than this. A little more energy in the carbonation department would be nice as well.

If you like your pumpkin ales to be spiced to the hilt, MBC Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale has the goods. For that very reason, it isn't very sessionable, but I sure did have a good time with the single bottle. And the award for 'the best brewery in Michigan that no one has ever heard of' goes to... Michigan Brewing Company.

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Have had this in my cellar since fall '03, aged OK, but won't probably save again.
Pours orange-red with two fingers of white foam.
Smells is very pumpkin pie-like, spicy, rich smelling.
Very spicy, nutmeg, pumpkin pie flavor, supported by a firm maltiness.
Mouthfeel is very big and rich, but the beer is still extremely drinkable.
Because of the flavor and richness of this beer, it is very satisfying, like a piece of pumpkin pie.
Although, if you are looking for a beer that tastes like pumpkin, sans pumpkin pie spice, try New Holland's Ichabod.

**EDIT**
Opened a bottle last night that had been sitting around for 2.5 years. Absolutely fantastic. After ~ 1 year it was quite metallic, but after the additional aging time, the beer was smooth and creamy, slightly sweet and with a nice subtle punpkin spice. Buy a case and put it away for awhile!

2.61/5  rDev -33.4%

12oz bottle from deejaydan as part of the WTF ASAP BIF. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" eggshell head above the golden amber brew. Frothy head fades slowly, with sticky foam lacing. Aroma is super-spiced pumpkin sweetness, definitely not the more sedate brew I look for. Taste is more of that the nose indicated, gingerbready, sweet pumpkin, with not much room for anything delicate to shine. Mouthfeel is just tough for me, and drinkability is even worse. I'm not that wild about this style firstly, but a delicate, flavorful one will impress me. One like this that's overpowering with sweet spices is not going to be revisited.

3.34/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a very clear copper with a good sized white head that disappeared pretty quickly. There wasn't much lacing to speak of.

The aroma was great, probably the best thing about the beer. It smelled very strongly of pumpkin pie spices. The cinnamen, nutmeg, and allspice all shine through. There isn't really anything else to notice.

The taste was much like the smell. This brew is a spice attack. In fact I didn't notice any malt character at all. The pumpkin pie spices are very aggressive. The finish tastes like ginger snaps. This beer feels nice and hardy on the palate as a fall seasonal should.

After my first few sips I really loved this beer. As I kept drinking I liked it less and less. For me the spices just got to be a little much. It didn't even really taste like beer to me. In a sense this beer was too much like pumpkin pie for my liking. That being said it is an interesting take on the style and I'm sure there are many others that will enjoy it.

3.91/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Pours gentle orange-yellow with a two-finger white head that dissipates quickly. Very slight haze.

S: Strong pumpkin aroma, sweet but also slightly dry, with a bit of hop bitterness underneath.

T: Sweet pumpkin flavor, very clean, with a bit of a spicy aftertaste. Perhaps cloves? Some nutmeg, some other assorted spices.

M: Moderate thickness, low hops, low carbonation. Very clean, easy-to-drink.

D: Overall very drinkable, if uncomplex. An incredibly accessible beer for those new to the style or to those who don't otherwise drink beer at all.

2.09/5  rDev -46.7%

Pours a brilliant auburn color with very little head. It smells spicey, I notice a lot of cinnamon, and if it didnt have a pumpkin on the label and a different name, I would think it was a christmas beer. Nutmeg, pumpkin pie, and LOTS of cinnamon.

The taste seems to be tampered with. Its solidly full of pumpkin pie flavors, but the addition of so much cinnamon to it seems to bring on a flavor that my palate isnt accustomed to. Really not sure what to do with it. If I was taste-testing before I wanted a whole one, I think I'd hand it back.

Mouthfeel is crisp and finishes smooth. Not bad, but theres something about the taste that rubs me the wrong way.

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

A very nice example of the style. Not the best I've ever had, but as usual ymmv. Pours a crystal clear deep amber in color with a frothy off-white head with good retention. Nose is nice and spicy, like a pumpkin pie, very inviting and pleasant. Taste is well balanced with good flavor cohesion. Nutmeg and cinnamon, fresh pumpkin. Mouthfeel is thicker than you might expect, not heavy by any means but a good amount of body. Well crafted and fresh. Unlike other drinkers, I prefer my pumpkin ales well spiced and robust not watery and delicate. This one leans more toward the former.

SlĂ inte!

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Pours a dark and vibrant orange color that's very clear and with a thin layer of white, soapy, head.

S - Cinnamon, strong clove presence, and pumpkin.

T - Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and pumpkin from start to finish with some vanilla at the beginning and in the middle.

M - Thin medium body with nice carbonation but with a watery sensation that makes the beer feel thin around the sides.

O - Unfortunately the big weak point of this beer is the body, it could be a little thicker but overall a solid beer. This beer sat in the back of my fridge for a long time and for a three year old bottle, it's held up very, very well.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

I had heard good things about this, can't wait to try it.
Pours a reddish brown color with about half inch of head. Looks nice. Smell is pumpkin, vanilla, some spice and some underlying malt.
Taste is exactly what I'm looking for. Liquid pumpkin pie. Not overly spiced and vegetal like others. Very sweet and dessert like. This is right there with Schlafly's Pumpkin beer.
Near perfect amount of carbonation. Very easy beer to enjoy.

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks go out to hoppymeal for this beer.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Crystal clear amber colored beer with rust colored highlights. Off white head, minimal in size, turns into a ring around the edges of the beer. Small amounts of checkered lacing.

Plenty of pumpkin pie spice in this one. Mostly cinnamon and nutmeg, but perhaps some clove thrown in there as well. Smells a bit overspiced to me. I like pumpkin pie spice in beer, but with a little more sublty and tact.

Nice flavors. All the pie spices come out in full force. Peppery spice greets the toungue. Cinnamon comes out hard and then some nutmeg. Flavor hits you at once but isnt too over the top. Vanilla flavors toward the back. Nice.

Almost a medium bodied beer, but falls just short. Dry in the finish with no lingering effects. This was a decent beer. The spice profile in this beer seems to be about the most without going over the top. A real treat for the fall season.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a nice orange-amber. Modest visible carbonation. Fluffy foam rises and falls to a skim that rings the glass.

Spicy aroma of nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon. Pretty inviting actually, not too overdone.

Lightly malty and bready, accented by the above spices. Bittersweet clove finishes the taste. It's pretty well balanced and easy-drinking. I'd agree with other reviewers that two in a sitting is about right. Thanks to my MI friends for bringing some to IL!

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

lear brilliant amber and gold with fizzy cola head that leaves a large splat of uneven thin film. Smells strongly of pumpkin pie and spices with some buttery notes.

Strong spices, cinnamon and nutmeg among others, with buttery and biscuity flavors and strong pumpkin sweetness. Probably the most pumpkin flavor I've had in a pumpkin beer yet. Light body and stinging carbonation is pleasant. Definitely the best pumpkin beer I've had yet.

Drinkable enough that I took a growler home after trying a pint at the brewery. But not drinkable enough to finish the growler that night (trust me).

3.67/5  rDev -6.4%

My first pumpkin ale of the season, not bad. Smells like a pumpkin alright when you pop the top. Pours a deep redish/brown color, decent head. Yep, you can taste the spices alright. A tad sweet, not overly so though. I've had a few pumpkin ales, this one is better than the others I've tried. Basically tastes like a spicey pumpkin pie, with some cinnamon undertones. After the 3rd beer or so you start to get a tad tired of the beer, its a bit sweet for a full drinking session, you may want to mix it up with something else during the night's adventures. If you are in the mood for a pumpkin ale and having a hard time choosing which one to get, I would go with this one. I doubt it will dissappoint.

Michigan Brewing Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale from Michigan Brewing Company