Michigan Brewing Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale | Michigan Brewing Company

Michigan Brewing Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced AleMichigan Brewing Screamin' Pumpkin Spiced Ale
3.89/5
Very Good

Michigan Brewing Company
michiganbrewing.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Fall

Added by marburg on 09-27-2003

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.82/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a somewhat subdued amber color-a tad pale thru and thru. Big pumpkin pie spice aroma-though not overly cloves or cinnamon like some. Great flavor-nice malty presence with just the right level of spiciness. Body is good though might be just a tad thin-never the less its damn close to what you want. Overall a very nice beer I'm impressed. I hate the use the terms or phrases that a beer has changed or "remember last years" However-that being said-this is eerily similar to the old Harpoon Xmas beer. No real pumpkin flavor but it has a great "holiday" spiciness that I find can be quite addictive. Thanks to deejaydan for the sample.

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a clear clean amber color, okay head rentention on this. Aroma is Strong spice, nutmeg, I think. Taste is straight ahead spices, some malt to balance the spice though. Mouthfeel is nice, a solid beer, and probably one of the better pumpkin/spice beers that I've had.

3.87/5  rDev -0.5%

This was one of the more spicier pumpkin beers I have tried. Lots of spices, esp in the aroma. Notes of ginger and nutmeg dominate but there also seems to be cinnamon in there. Pumpkin flavor is stronger in the aroma but lacking a bit in taste. The body is slightly thin which detracts from mouthfeel and drinkability. I think I could only have two max. of these in a sitting. But overall, it's a solid attempt at the pumpkin style.

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Have had this in my cellar since fall '03, aged OK, but won't probably save again.
Pours orange-red with two fingers of white foam.
Smells is very pumpkin pie-like, spicy, rich smelling.
Very spicy, nutmeg, pumpkin pie flavor, supported by a firm maltiness.
Mouthfeel is very big and rich, but the beer is still extremely drinkable.
Because of the flavor and richness of this beer, it is very satisfying, like a piece of pumpkin pie.
Although, if you are looking for a beer that tastes like pumpkin, sans pumpkin pie spice, try New Holland's Ichabod.

**EDIT**
Opened a bottle last night that had been sitting around for 2.5 years. Absolutely fantastic. After ~ 1 year it was quite metallic, but after the additional aging time, the beer was smooth and creamy, slightly sweet and with a nice subtle punpkin spice. Buy a case and put it away for awhile!

3.27/5  rDev -15.9%

When I had it at MBC, it was called "Pumpin' Pumpkin, so whther it's the same recipe or not, I can't say...

Well, ya either like pumpkin or ya don't. And I do like this one. This has everything a pumpkin pie has except the Crisco. Has a strong pie taste, but not unpleasantly so. This 2003 edition (listed as 5.0% ABV) nicely balances the pumpkin and spice aspects, though at the cost of the beer flavor. Certainly would taste best fresh at the brewery.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

First, I can't guarantee that this beer isn't the same as MBC's previous pumpkin ale offerings nicely packaged in a new label.

Second, I have to imagine that folks will either love this beer or hate it. It's far from flavorless; so I think it's a matter of whether you dig what they've put together in the flavor profile here. My fiancee and I happen to dig it.

Pours dark orange -- rusty, burnt orange. Smallish cream-colored head adorns the top. Immediately noticeable are strong spiced aromas, like mom's pumpkin pie. As expected, the flavor carries these forth to the palate. Everything under the sun. Nutmeg, a little cinnamon, cloves, some nuttiness, perhaps even a little ginger sweetness. In some ways, this reminds me of a low-key Christmas Ale. Regardless, it's chock full of a potent, spicy fall flavors. It's limited in some ways by its own potency. Depending on my mood, I might not be able to make this a session brew. But then again, perhaps I could.

I can imagine perhaps having this with some sort of pie -- apple perhaps?

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last