Michigan Brewing Mackinac Pale Ale

3.47 | pDev: 16.14%
From:
Michigan Brewing Company

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Michigan Brewing Mackinac Pale AleMichigan Brewing Mackinac Pale Ale
Notes:
Reviews: 81 | Ratings: 100 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by RickS95:
RickS95 from Indiana

3.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Huge fluffy pillow of a head sits atop a copper liquid that seems to have tiny particles floating in it.

Lots of citrus in the nose, stellar head retention.

A bit of an earthy taste to it, with some of the citrus, sort of like pineapple juice, near the finish.

Lots of carbonation, and between that and the acid from the citrus, give a very crisp refreshing feel.

Good lacing. I like this beer, especially for the warmer months. Easy to drink, goes down easy, medium alcohol. No major flaws.

Jun 06, 2010
smibroncos from New York

3.33/5  rDev -4%

A. Poured a cloudy copper, with a two finger light brown head, ample lacing on the glass

S. I know this sound weierd but it smelled just like chef boyardee ravioli. I was sceptical thinking the beer was skunked. i couldn't find a date on the bottle.

T. Nothing like the smell. More malt than hops slightly sweet with a bitter dry finish. Reminded me more of a brown ale than a pale ale.

M. Medium bodied, lightly carbonated.

D. Ok, I don't think I will try this one again.

Jun 24, 2009
tubacharlie from Michigan

A rocky white head emerges, with good lacing of medium and large bubbles. The brew is a clear amber color, with active carbonation keeping the head replenished.

The smell of hops is easily detected in the aroma. A nice balance is struck in the flavor, with a solid grain bill complimenting the tang of hops throughout the swish and swallow of a generous gulp. Malts chase the flavor down the throat with a bittersweet finish.

Nothing to complain about here. A journeyman's everyday Pale Ale.

Apr 15, 2011
machostacos from Indiana

2.86/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my favorite pint glass. Freshness date: 12/09/10. Considering the brewery is roughly 20 miles from my home, this is about as fresh as it gets besides having a pint in their taproom. This is my first MBC offering, and my hopes are somewhat high, considering all the other fantastic microbreweries around southern Michigan.

A: Medium copper, clear as day with a thick, puffy brilliantly white head. Decent retention and great lacing.

S: Hmm. Earthy, buttery, lots of biscuity malts, green apple, with a slight spicy hop presence. Some citrus, but I'm really straining for it, so maybe it's just in my head (oh how I want it!) Quite underwhelming. Reminds me much more of an English Pale Ale or ESB, as others have said. Almost like they tore a page right out of Arcadia Ales' book with this one - hardly distinguishable from AA's Angler Ale.

T: About what you'd expect from the nose, except with hardly any hop presence whatsoever. Very earthy and buttery, with apples and biscuit and just the slightest bitter twang on the finish. Otherwise it finishes a little sweet, heavy on the earthen butter. This shouldn't be classified as an APA. Meh.

M: Lively carbonation, but smooth. Almost sparkly. Really no bitterness to speak of, which is disappointing. Somewhat thin body - it's a tad watery, but acceptable.

D: Overall I was pretty disappointed with this beer - I was definitely hoping for more of a SN PA/Founders PA/Alpha King contender, but alas. While not really bad by any means, it just wasn't really what I was expecting. Upon reading the box I discovered that it reads "derived from the traditional English style bitter", so I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised, but I was definitely hoping for a derived-from-the-traditional-American-style with this one. Tasty enough to warrant a second round, but disappointing enough to overlook next time when so many more promising offerings are just an arms-length away.

Aug 26, 2010
JizackFH from New York

3.43/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a slightly cloudy gold with a white fluffy 2-finger head that left a little bit of lacing as it fell. You could also see some yeast particles floating around. The smell was that of citrus, hops, and some caramel. The taste is a bit toasty at first, then the hops come into play and there is some citrus notes as well. The finish is a bit bitter with come toffee or caramel notes also present. The mouthfeel is pretty much average. Medium body with a medium carbonation. I also thought that it was quite refreshing. The drinkability is good. These go down smooth, and I wouldn't have any problem putting a 6-pack of these down.

Nov 06, 2010
minterro from Colorado

3.85/5  rDev +11%

out of a bottle. a bit sick right now so I will redo review later.

A: light amber. medium head

S: sweet and malty

T: great. I think this beer is very underrated on this website. well balanced and well-built. could be more bitter but can't complain.

M: light-mid body, good carbonation

D: great for everything: taste, not bad body, price, everything is there. I would drink this all the time. Being in college can't buy this all the time, but for 7.59 its quality is great.

May 01, 2009
WOTO97 from California

3.43/5  rDev -1.2%

Gold in color with great clarity. Decent foamy head retention with some clumpy lacing. Nose is of toasted nuts with a lingering sweetness. Caramel and some light fruit up front; the beer is pretty sweet on the mid-palate. Finishes very clean but not a whole lot there. Hop character is more earthy and slightly sweet, reminiscent of an English IPA or ESP. Meh.

Aug 03, 2010
mdfb79 from New York

3.46/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a nice, somewhat transparent golden color with 2-3 inches of white head and a high amount of carbonation evident.

s - Smells of musty, earthy malts, as well as citrus hops, bananas, and fruity malts. Not bad but wish it had a little more fruit and a little less of that mustiness.

t - Tastes of toasted and bready malts, citrus hops, fruity malts, and tropical fruit. A very slight bitterness to the taste.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation. Not nearly as much carbonation as it looked like it was going to have, but it had just the right amount.

d - Not bad for a pale ale. I thought it tasted pretty good and had some nice fruit in the smell and taste. I wish the smell wasn't as earthy/musty and it kept jumping out at me, but not bad. Wouldn't seek out but would have again if it were around.

Aug 31, 2010
Spiekerbox from Michigan

3.32/5  rDev -4.3%

A- pours and orange-gold color with a thin white head that recedes quickly, as i have noticed most MBC beers pour.

S- Citrus hops up front with some sweet bread malts.

T- Hop flavor with bready and sweet malts a little fruit flavor near the end. Bitterness is present at the beginning but dosen't last. Almost a watery finish, not many recognizable flavors linger after a drink.

M- Medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Finishes rather crisp.

D- Not a bad beer but out of a style with so many great contenders it does nothing to set itself apart. Overall a beer that I can enjoy occasionally but would get sick of it if I used it as a session beer, though there is nothing about it "un-sessionable" per-say

Sep 22, 2010
EricCioe from Montana

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

This pours a crystal clear amber, noticeably thinner looking at the edges, with a big-bubbled two finger cream head that dies down into something smaller leaving a little lace. On the nose there is a caramel malt note with some fruity hop notes too. It's not especially citric, nor sour, just slightly orangeish but not in the overpowering sense. In the mouth the caramel malt provides the base, slightly sweet, well balanced with some surprising bitterness coming through as the caramel notes fade. The finish is medium but chameleonly, with some sweetness up front but a dry fruitiness further back and lingering. The body is medium light, very drinkable.

Overall I like this beer, and the sweet malt base is a nice touch in contrast to the popular bone-dry pales.

Apr 14, 2011
DannyDan from Michigan

3.88/5  rDev +11.8%

A. Pours out into a golden amber color with a thin white head that has good retention and decent lacing. Carbonation is low to moderate.
S. It has a toasted, bready malty smell with a hint of yeast and a little citrus.
T. The taste is bitter at first than get floral hops, some caramel, and finally some citrus in the taste.
M/D. It is a medium bodied creamy mouthfeel and the smoothness of it makes it a drinkable beer.
This is a nice well balanced beer that is not too bitter or sweet and is a nice beer to drink when wanting an APA.

Dec 12, 2010
DruC4 from Michigan

Jul 26, 2012
WoodBrew from Ohio

2.88/5  rDev -17%

This is what I would refer to as a typical East Coast Pale Ale. Not alot of hop, but enough present to at least make it palletable. The appearance is a clear amber with thin to no head and therefore no lacing. The smell is fairly weak, there is some hop...thinking cascade...not sure though. The taste is...eh. If there are other options I would at least try them before settling on this. Mouthfeel is ok, could session if had to.

May 05, 2011

westonhood from Michigan

Dec 22, 2011
jsisko01 from Michigan

2.76/5  rDev -20.5%

Appearance - Pours a golden-amber hue with a centimeter thick head that dissipates quickly. Has excellent lacing..

Smell - Smells very bitter.. almost like a musty smell. After a couple more intakes I can smell slight hints of caramel, lemon zest, citrus, toasted bread, and a bitter yeast aroma.

Taste - Strong caramel and toasted malts. Other than that all i taste is the yeast.. Has a pretty bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with mild carbonation. I love the creamy feeling from the caramel.

Overall - I really like the caramel flavor, but it would be a lot better if it wasn't so toasty. The toasty flavor doesn't pair so well with the bitterness (in my opinion). It's not a bad beer but I wouldn't buy a 6-pack of it.

Dec 16, 2011
ckk527 from South Carolina

May 29, 2012
MIBeerRanger4 from Michigan

3.18/5  rDev -8.4%

Just redcently had a pint of this APA in Sault Ste Marie, MI.
A= nice golden color. Head was non existing when beer was served to me. This could be because the place was packed and my beer tookm a bit to get to the table?? But there was no head or lacing with this beer.

S= smell was a bit more mild than I expect (or like) from a MI pale ale. Had a sweet-ish aroma as well.

T= taste was nice. Clean and crisp with good malt/hop bitterness balance. I was surprised the beer was this nice after the nose being so muted.

M= beer was a bit flat. Not going to go into it suffice it to say, it may have been the pour I got from the bar?

O= Overall, average at best. I will try this beer again sometime to see what a really fresh one is like. I liked the "heart" of this beer and could tell that something pretty good was in there.. had I got it fresh!

Feb 20, 2012

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

Jul 11, 2012
ronfrommichigan

2.14/5  rDev -38.3%

Maybe I just bought a bad six-pack, or possibly it wasn't stored properly at the store, but this beer just wasn't pleasant to me at all. When I poured it, no matter how careful I was, all I would get was a huge amount of foam, which probably meant that this particular six-pack was handled roughly. The flavor wasn't what I was expecting; for some reason it had a strong almost well-water kind of flavor to it on the first one that didn't go away as I drank more of them throughout the course of the weekend. Oh well, I won't give up on any kind of beer on just one sampling. Being a craft brewed beer, occasionally you get a bad batch. It happens.

May 12, 2012
DMarlinJ from Michigan

Jun 24, 2012
SerialTicker from Michigan

3.81/5  rDev +9.8%

I essentially made a RateBeer account JUST to rate this beer. About three years later, BeerAdvocate will finally let me post an actual review for this beer. Here is my original review with my original score.

First of all, I am incredibly disappointed that Michigan Brewing Company has gone out of business. Anyway... I went to a local liquor store expecting to try out Sam Adams Boston Ale, but saw this, and decided to buy it. When I got home and looked it up, that’s when I found out the company’s out of business. I may have bought the last 6-pack of this at that store. In fact, I probably did.

Aroma: A very mild, beer smell. I get nothing else out of this. Maybe a bit of citrus, but not much.

Appearance: I think it looks great. It’s unfiltered, has a nice haze, and you can see the yeast floating around and settling at the bottom. Has a nice summer-like appearance.

Taste: I’m apparently in the minority here -- I think this is an excellent tasting beer. Although I got a metallic taste out of the first couple bottles I had, the past one was incredible. A light, refreshing, perfectly sessionable beer. There isn’t anything mind blowing or unique about it, but it’s a clean, refreshing, damn tasty beer. What else can I say?

Palate: Watery mouthfeel ... nothing fantastic about it, but it suits this beer well. Again, this is why I feel it’s a great session beer.

Overall: I really feel like this is one of my favorite beers... which depresses me. I almost wish I never tried it. Because once I found out the brewery went out of business, I got sort of depressed. Although this isn’t a summer-only beer, summer’s what I think of when I drink this. A very, very good beer.

...one of my favorite beers? Phew, I haven't had it since the original review in 2012, but man have my tastebuds changed!

Jul 24, 2012