Michigan Brewing Mackinac Pale Ale | Michigan Brewing Company

Michigan Brewing Mackinac Pale AleMichigan Brewing Mackinac Pale Ale

Michigan Brewing Company
michiganbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Mitchster on 06-19-2002

3.4

3.9/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.81/5  rDev +12.1%

I essentially made a RateBeer account JUST to rate this beer. About three years later, BeerAdvocate will finally let me post an actual review for this beer. Here is my original review with my original score.

First of all, I am incredibly disappointed that Michigan Brewing Company has gone out of business. Anyway... I went to a local liquor store expecting to try out Sam Adams Boston Ale, but saw this, and decided to buy it. When I got home and looked it up, that’s when I found out the company’s out of business. I may have bought the last 6-pack of this at that store. In fact, I probably did.

Aroma: A very mild, beer smell. I get nothing else out of this. Maybe a bit of citrus, but not much.

Appearance: I think it looks great. It’s unfiltered, has a nice haze, and you can see the yeast floating around and settling at the bottom. Has a nice summer-like appearance.

Taste: I’m apparently in the minority here -- I think this is an excellent tasting beer. Although I got a metallic taste out of the first couple bottles I had, the past one was incredible. A light, refreshing, perfectly sessionable beer. There isn’t anything mind blowing or unique about it, but it’s a clean, refreshing, damn tasty beer. What else can I say?

Palate: Watery mouthfeel ... nothing fantastic about it, but it suits this beer well. Again, this is why I feel it’s a great session beer.

Overall: I really feel like this is one of my favorite beers... which depresses me. I almost wish I never tried it. Because once I found out the brewery went out of business, I got sort of depressed. Although this isn’t a summer-only beer, summer’s what I think of when I drink this. A very, very good beer.

...one of my favorite beers? Phew, I haven't had it since the original review in 2012, but man have my tastebuds changed!

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottle etched (06/21/12) poured into a nonic pint.

A- A normal pour creates a 1-finger, off-white head that settles to a fully covering film. The body was clean, golden amber, with light-medium carbonation. Great sticky rings were left on the glass.

S- There was a burst of hops with the crack of the cap. It seems pretty fresh. Sweet, sturdy malt backbone. Very well balanced. Hopping is very organic, herbal. There's a hint of tropical fruit sweetness. Light caramel or brown sugar.

T- More balance. Hops are somewhat herbal and get a little aspirin-like twan at points.. Malts provide a pleasant sweetness. More caramel and a slight graininess.

M- Light carbonation. Very light hop bite. Medium body. Dry.

O- No frills, but solid all the same. Not something I'd seek out (though I can't say the style suits itself for my seek it out preferences). I could drink a couple without either burnout or boredom.

2.14/5  rDev -37.1%

Maybe I just bought a bad six-pack, or possibly it wasn't stored properly at the store, but this beer just wasn't pleasant to me at all. When I poured it, no matter how careful I was, all I would get was a huge amount of foam, which probably meant that this particular six-pack was handled roughly. The flavor wasn't what I was expecting; for some reason it had a strong almost well-water kind of flavor to it on the first one that didn't go away as I drank more of them throughout the course of the weekend. Oh well, I won't give up on any kind of beer on just one sampling. Being a craft brewed beer, occasionally you get a bad batch. It happens.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Just redcently had a pint of this APA in Sault Ste Marie, MI.
A= nice golden color. Head was non existing when beer was served to me. This could be because the place was packed and my beer tookm a bit to get to the table?? But there was no head or lacing with this beer.

S= smell was a bit more mild than I expect (or like) from a MI pale ale. Had a sweet-ish aroma as well.

T= taste was nice. Clean and crisp with good malt/hop bitterness balance. I was surprised the beer was this nice after the nose being so muted.

M= beer was a bit flat. Not going to go into it suffice it to say, it may have been the pour I got from the bar?

O= Overall, average at best. I will try this beer again sometime to see what a really fresh one is like. I liked the "heart" of this beer and could tell that something pretty good was in there.. had I got it fresh!

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Rich, darker golden. Clear & birght with several streams of steady bubbles. Just beyond medium sized eggshell head that settles quick but leaves some okay lace – especially nearer the top of half of the glass.

S: Citrus & floral hops. Soft cookie sweetness from light crystal malts. Toasty pale base malts are a touch biscuity. Hint of esters as it warms. A bit of a faint nose.

T: Biscuity pale base malts with grainy and toasty accents, a touch of sweetness and a hint of caramel. Good depth if quite straight forward. Hops are balanced – Flowery, herbal, general (generic) citrus undertone that grows through the middle and into the finish becoming a bit lemon and rind. A touch juicy in a floral way with sweetness from malts and hints of light esters.

M: Just medium body with afirmly matched CO2. Mouth-filling carbonation and some hop tannins for texture. Ultimately drying form hops.

D: A bright and quite standard, run-of-the-mill American pale. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing really special either. A reasonable offering.

2.76/5  rDev -18.8%

Appearance - Pours a golden-amber hue with a centimeter thick head that dissipates quickly. Has excellent lacing..

Smell - Smells very bitter.. almost like a musty smell. After a couple more intakes I can smell slight hints of caramel, lemon zest, citrus, toasted bread, and a bitter yeast aroma.

Taste - Strong caramel and toasted malts. Other than that all i taste is the yeast.. Has a pretty bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with mild carbonation. I love the creamy feeling from the caramel.

Overall - I really like the caramel flavor, but it would be a lot better if it wasn't so toasty. The toasty flavor doesn't pair so well with the bitterness (in my opinion). It's not a bad beer but I wouldn't buy a 6-pack of it.

Michigan Brewing Mackinac Pale Ale from Michigan Brewing Company