Celis White | Michigan Brewing Company

Added by kbub6f on 10-27-2002

13%

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last
3.6/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pretty standard looking Wit, slightly hazy, paly yellow body topped off by a moderate, but fleeting, fine white head. Citrus is most obvious spice addition, but mild hints of corriander tie the orange peel in with the sweet-ish pale malt. The aroma is mirrored by the taste. No surprises here, just a good, faily simple wit. Soft mouth feel is very nice.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Light gold color. Large Head. Aroma is malty, fruity and sweet yet there is a touch of a slightly burnt undertone (?) A medium bodied wit. Malts are sweet and fruity. There are hints of orange and coriander. Rolls around on the tongue with an aggressive spiciness and lively carbonation. Nice. Hops are a touch spicy. Well balance. Lively, bright and flavorful. Very drinkable. Hope this one gets into wider distribution Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet.

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%

Aroma: Strong sour like smell with background of lemon pepper.
Appearance: Very light yellow, clear with a modest head that thins, but hangs.
Flavor: A classic wit taste. The sour in the aroma isn’t overpowering, but it’s there. I get a lot of citric acid, lemon notes again. This is strong enough to trigger a bit of the saliva glands in my jaw, but I could take stronger.
Mouthfeel: Light, bubbly, refreshing.
Overall Impression: I too knew and respected the Austin Celis White (Damn you Miller, Damn YOU!!) and this is a close approximation. Up the coriander a bit more (this is a bottle I’ve been saving for a bit, so it may have faded) and beef the body up a touch, especially the protein for better head retention. Kudos to Michigan Brewing for saving this one from the abyss of beers gone by.

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Oh, Celis, how I've missed you these past few years. Other reviewers have already chronicled the past for this storied brand. I've lived in Texas all my life, and in the Austin metro area since '96. I remember many a summer afternoon spent nursing a cool mug of Celis beer. Until Miller bought them and shut the doors. NOT a good day.

But let me tell you, Celis brewed some monster beers, and the witbier was one of their finest. And now it's back, sort of. Michigan Brewing Company is one of the licensees of the original recipe, and they don't do a bad job with it at all. I drank gallons of the original Austin version, so I feel qualified to say that while it doesn't quite live up to it's predecessor, it'll do in a pinch.

I picked up a six-pack in San Marcos and took it home with some trepidation. Celis has been back on the shelves here for a while, but I've avoided them out of respect for the memories of the original brews. But I was pleasantly surprised. It poured cloudy and with a fragrant aroma of spices and citrus. Not much head, though. I remember the original having more head. Tasted a lot like I remember, but the wheat really displays on this version. Cloudy appearance gave way after a while as the beer settled. Not an overpowering mouthfeel. Finished dry without wasting away...aftertaste was bittersweet and spicy.

It's a good beer and I can recommend it, but it's not the same as it was. The Austin version was truly a world-class witbier, this is just a really good witbier. Still lots of fun, though, and I'd hoist a few of these with some nice seafood or chicken/pasta dishes.

3.52/5  rDev -6.6%

Strong Citrus flavor and aroma. This seemed more like sprite than beer. Nice thirst quencher, but I prefer my beer to taste a bit more like beer than 7up. Cloudy and pale yellow with moderate head and an almost overpowering orange aroma. Not something I would normally drink, but it can cool you off during the summer.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

Pastel manilla-folder yellow with a lively white head that resolves into a loose splatter of islands.
The aroma is mostly of bitter orange peel. Not orange liqueur. Not oranges. Not orange juice. Orange peel. Breathy clear coriander lifts the edges up nicely, emphasizing clean images of linen, branches and cut grass.
Broad-textured, it rains tart orange, bitter seed and sugar flavors onto my palate. Slightly briny too. Pretty aggressive, hungry yeast here. I say that because of the vigorous gas and the very dry, carbohydrate-poor texture. And yet, there is an impression of residual sugar. I'm afraid of what might have hapened to this beer since it left the brewery.
Still, nice wit fix.

2.63/5  rDev -30.2%

I picked this beer at OBF when I was to walk from one end of the venue to the other. It was a poor choice for travelling with.

The ale poured a hazy white with very active carbonation, almost like seltzer. The smell was ripe fruit and sugar. The taste was overwhelmingly of white grape, and unpleasantly sour. The aroma and taste were accurate reflections of each other. The body of the beer was clearly missing as there was no detectable malt sweetness, rather just the almost grainy sweetness of fruit. The further I walked, the flatter it became, and oddly enough, the more drinkable. The last sip, quite warm and flat, was probably the best.

2.32/5  rDev -38.5%

Let the flaming begin? I can't be the only who feels this way...

Appearance: light straw color, lustrous snow-white resilient head, bubbly, tasteful amount of haze (after swirling the last bit of beer and dumping it in)

Aroma: very subtle aroma of honey, coriander, wheat, some appley fruitiness, wet cardboard (oxidized), musty

Flavor: tastes sweetened, some orange coriander and a whole lot of orange-peel, a strange sourness followed by an even stranger bitter aftertaste (like a bar of soap) that hits in the back corners of my tongue, little to no hop flavor (but that's expected in this style)

Mouthfeel: light body, zesty carbonation

Overall Impression: Man, was I disappointed in this beer! While I never tried the original Celis, I can't say whether or not the new owners botched it up, but I do like Hoegaarden Wit. The aftertaste is very off-putting, somewhere between chewing on orange peels and sucking on a bar of lye soap -- seems to me like this would stem from using way too much bitter orange peel. Also, it seems llike it's been sweetened slightly with artificial sweetener. I actually had to dump it! I wonder of Pierre has tasted this version...

Perhaps it was a bad bottle?

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%

After a couple months of not seeing this around Detroit stores, I picked this up sometime in June and just had it the other day. I must say, this one's so much better on tap, I think. It still has that kick ass citrus flavor that's present in the draught version. But it -- or at least my bottle -- was just a little bit of a lesser version of itself. Carbonation seemed a tiny bit weak, and this seemed just a little thinner. Wits are by nature thin, so it's hardly a significant knock against this beer. But nonetheless, I think if you spot this in a bar, it's a sure fire winner. The bottles are great too, but it's not quite the same beergasm.

4.55/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I got this because it was pretty cheap and I didn't have much money on me. I was told by the worker at the store where I got it that this wasn't that good of a beer. I don't think he even drank it, because this was an amazing wit! I can't believe that this comes from the Mich. Brewing Co. They're a little substandard with most of their beers except this one. Pours beautiful with a creamy white head. Smells of lemon, orange, and some coriander. Tastes very citrusy mixed with some spicyness which comes from the yeast and from other spices. A bready yeasty goodness comes forth. It finishes with a dry yeastiness and a little sour which makes me want more. A simple, refreshing, and amazing beer all in one!

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: Pours a dull, pale yellow with lots of suspended yeast. A big, foamy white head quickly settles to a small cap. The standard 'wit look.'

Smell: The nose is packed full of wheat and musty yeast. Lots of orange in there, as well as a touch of lemon.

Taste: Fresh and delicious, with a suprising amount of sourness. Lots of orange peel and phenolic clove overshadow a fair amount of spiciness. Coriander shows up, but to a lesser extent. Some bready, musty yeast rounds out the balance. Finishes like it started...sour.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body, with a soft, yet spritzy, mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Pretty good... This sourness is a bit high for the style, but it's still a good wit.

Thanks go out to 'Realale' for the bottle.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Cloudy light gold. Huge very fine rocky head settles slowly to a thin full cap.

Nose is quite wheaty with a touch of phenol and a big whack of sour orange.

Light and grainy in the mouth. Substantial sour orange component. Good spiciness, and a touch of yeast. Quite sour on the palate, but in a very refreshing manner. Very soft carbonation gives a silky mouthfeel. Long and refreshing, with a lingering sour orange finish. Very nice.

I, frankly, drank a lot of Austin Celis and this is pretty darn close to the best of my recollection. It definitely has a touch more orange, and comes across as more sour, but its a damn fine beer in its own right.

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

While in Austin, Tx in March, and learning I was 'two years' too late to drink 'Celis', I stood in the local market and there were the first bottles delivered to Austin from Michigan! Couldn't believe it! Unfortunately I can't draw on comparisons to the Austin brews, so the BA reviews are great to read.

A translucent golden-yellow pour with healthy white head, this aroma packed medium bodied wit releases the citrus, coriander and wheat malt attributes in full doses. The mouthfeel is weaker than expected, with a citrusy-malty finish. I'll be a fan of this wit, but still prefer Hoegaarden.

2.54/5  rDev -32.6%

I heard about Celis White from a friend, and after reading good reviews, I had a friend from Texas send me a 6 pack. I really enjoy the Belgian White beers, and had high expectations from Celis White. This bottled sample was from the Michigan Brewing Co.

At first pour I noticed a terrific aroma and classic color. The carbonation was good.
The first sip of this beer was not at all what I had expected. It's much more intense than Hoegaarden, or Blue Moon, but too citrus, and had a zesty sour lemon taste.
Although light and refreshing, this beer didn't suit my palette.

An average white beer. This beer poured a translucent colour with a pretty nice, white, cap of foam on top. It had the aromas of citrus (orange), yeast, candy sugar, and curacao. It tastes a lot like Hoegaarden but it was little too heavy on the citrus flavors for my taste. The mouthfeel was pretty creamy and smooth but a bit thin as well and the drinkability was marred by the taste.
Decent, overall.
Cheers to Morris729 for the sample!
-F

Appearance: Cloudy medium golden color with a fairly large snow-white head, which soon collapses to scattered patches of foam. Very slight carbonation with only fair lace. A portion of the beer was swirled during the pour to release the sediment, which was present in a generous quantity.

Aroma: Lots of cracker malt, with cloves and citrus notes.

Taste: Begins with a crisp and tart lemon and orange note, soon followed by spicy clove notes and coriander. The combination of the wheat malt, spices, and citrus yields a refreshing sweet and tart effect. There is a brief note of pepper at the close of the taste. The finish is dry.

Mouth feel: Smooth and very solid.

Drinkability/notes: In my opinion, the quintessential summer style beer style. Although I tried the original Celis White years ago, I really do not have a perspective by which to compare the original to this beer, too much time has passed – and at the time the original Celis White was available, my beer knowledge was far too limited. Nonetheless, this is an excellent white, surely worthy of a try.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Beautifully cloudy, straw golden with a meringue-like white head atop fine bubbles. Retention is good, with minimal lacing. The look of this brew conjures up fine memories. Mild to moderate carbonation. Aroma is of smoke, sharp cheddar cheese, cloves, sweet vanilla, wheat crackers, and pineapple in that order. Mouthfeel is soft, wet and effervescent, with a light body. Taste is lightly sour and acidic with light cloves and a crisp, watery finish with a hint of grainy astringency. There is a hint of lemon towards the end with mild breadiness. The hops are very delicate and mild.

This is just great stuff...unique, tasty, and very easy to drink. I drank this about 10 years ago when it was brewed by Pierre in Texas, and I can't recall any specifics. I can't say whether the MBC version is true to the original or not, but it doesn't matter cause it's good enough to stand on it's own. A classic...better than Hoegaarden IMO, and replacing Oberon as my standard summer brew.

4.6/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This used to be my favorite bottled beer brewed in Texas until Miller bought them and closed them down (bastards!). In fact, I remember after my last final of the semester during grad school going to one of the local bars and drinking 9 half-yards of the stuff. I would have gone for 10, but they ran out! The bartender actually came over to shake my hand and to tell me how impressed he was. Anyway, I’ve been waiting for a somewhat happy occasion to review it, and low and behold, I finally finished up my taxes today and for the first time in many a year, I’m actually getting a refund rather than having to pay! So, enter Celis White. Pours a beautiful light golden color with a creamy white head. Nose is spicy with some strong lemony aromas. Taste also has lots of spice—clove, nutmeg, allspice, and coriander—followed by some nutty yeast flavors and lots of lemony citrus. Finish is very crisp and refreshing. A marvelous beer and every bit as good as I remember it being when it was brewed here in Texas. Thank God it’s finally back!

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Ah, Celis White. The beer with the mythical Belgian and Texan lineage...

Pours out to a muddied yellow in the glass with a slight head. Smell is that of light yeast, wheat, lemon and some spice I couldn't put my finger on. Taste is wonderful. Clove, coriander and lemon are all present with a finish so smooth, it begs for another sip. I don't know how this version from Michigan Brewing compares to Pierre's former Texas variety, but it has to be very close. A fine beer.

Thanks to trbeer for hooking me up with this one.

4.57/5  rDev +21.2%

Wow! I love this beer. I'm so glad that its back. Found some at the beer store after keeping an eye out for it for a few months. It has to be one of my favorite white's, even better than Hoegaarden . It pours a very pale gold color, and very noticeable lemon smell. The beer has a nice thick white head that lasts. The lemon flavor is not too overwhelming , its surprisingly subtle, and mixes very well with the hop and wheat flavors. My favorite thing about celis white has to be the ability to quinch my thist. This beer would be even better on a hot day, but its great anytime.

4.45/5  rDev +18%

Clean, light and jammed full of flavor like a 300 pounder in a size six. Pale clouded streaming lemon under a weak white head. Nose of citrus pound cake and honeyed green tea. A draught tears through layers of flavor quick--sugared limes, coriander seeds, spicy hop--then it's gone. Poof! And your buds are ready to ride again. As good as the one I had ten years ago, I think. Pierre may not be brewing it, but his name lives on. Thanks trbeer!

4.23/5  rDev +12.2%

Bought locally (Grapevine refrigerated shelves), a couple of days in my fridge, reviewed 45F-55F. I was so happy to see this back in bottles in Austin, and was very curious to see how the recipe survived the trip to Michigan. I heap mondo negative karma on Miller for killing Celis in Austin.

The snow white head is medium-sized and settles to a thin film quickly. The beer itself is a very pale, cloudy whitish-yellow. It's more amber/yellow in the middle, more white around the edges. I can't think of anything to compare the color to, but it's absolutely gorgeous.

Belgian yeast spiciness/fruitiness dominate the nose, but there's some nuttiness in there too. The front is citrus and spice, souring nicely in the middle. A light, tingly feel. The finish is dry with some nice sweet/sour citrus. The aftertaste is nutty and a little soapy. Fantastic! The citrus flavors are quite strong, but the unusual nuttiness really complements nicely. Original.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer poured a very pale very cloudy yellow straw color. It had a very minimal head that did not linger. There was no lace. It had a very minimal aroma. The taste of the orange was nice and not strong. The carbonation was evident and stung the tongue. The beer itself was light but the tingling was quite evident. It was a very drinkable beer. I had a couple pints tonight and enjoyed both.

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Many thanks to trbeer for shipping this to the Commonwealth. Looks like grapefruit with a small head that didn't last long. It kind of glows. The smell is yeasty and fruity. The taste is smooth!!! Citrus, orange, lemon, corriandor and something peppery. The ending is even more sweet. I can't even imagine having this beer on tap. I bet it is even better. Reminds me a lot of Blanche De Chambly from Unibroe.

4.67/5  rDev +23.9%

It's back...the same recipe and label, now brewed by the Michigan Brewing Co. Notes from the 2002 GABF, multiple samples over 3 days.....Cloudy golden to nearly orangish hue to it. Smell is full of spices, coriander, orange peel, lemon. To say Citrus is an understatement. Very crisp and refreshing belgian wit yeasty goodness, matched with the subtle orange, and coriander make it a very memorable taste. Light bodied, but not watery at all. Full of flavors until the bottom. Leaves you wanting more and more. This beer needs to be distributed to the long Florida summers. Very very refreshing and the ultimate thirst quencher. Every bit as good as Hoeggarden and some others....the search should be on everywhere for this beer.

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last