Celis White | Michigan Brewing Company

Style: Witbier

Added by kbub6f on 10-27-2002

13%

3.94/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle pulled from a mixed package of beers given to me as a reward for volunteering for 2005 GABF. Pours a one finger fizzy white head that settles in no time. As the sediment was swirled and then dumped into the glass, the beer is super cloudy gold straw colored with almost a slight green hue as edgings. Smells, uh-oh. Phenolic funky and clove. A belgian-style of some sort...far from my favorite. I'll review it to style, not my personal preference. Smells of cloves, aged-and-super-dry-library-book-must,
smoked jerky. Sweet malt only with searching and way beneath the spice. Tastes phenolic funky. Starts with the smoked jerky, turns clovey, then to a coriander that sweetens nicely as a late malt wet steps in during the aftertaste. Wow, that was a pretty amazing transition. At the same time the coriander is sweetening, a playful citrus stands around like some pretty-boy at a dance who's hair is just too neat. You know how Hollywood portrays life in the 1950's (like in the movie "Back to the Future")...this beer catches a campy character in the same way. "Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding...Mr Sandman,....bring me a dream. Make him the cutest..." The flavors are distinct enough to be said to stand alone, yet team-oriented such that they contribute to and help each other accomplish each others' goals. Medium-light body and md-light carbonation. I could see the late sweet being a bit too much for some people and the phenolic character not persisting long enough. For me, the phenolic is too much and the aftertaste sweetness is beginning to wear. They must use a boat-load of orange peel when making this beer, as it's becoming pithy as I near the bottom of the glass. This beer is well crafted and it's one I recommend...even though I personally hope to never have another. Belgian funk...ble-ech!

3.62/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Undated 12oz poured into a pint.

Hazy yellow with a small head of white that slowly falls to a ring of foam. Minimal lace.

Wheat, coriander, yeast that is slightly chalky, lemon peel and a pinch of floral hops.

The wheat barely registers, but the spice and citrus notes break through. Tart with some hop bitterness in the finish. Rather one dimensional. Light, prickly mouth that is somewhat puckered from the tartness. Drinkable but boring.

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Cloudy orangish beer with a shy head that runs away quite fast. Smell of cereals are very present with notes of fruits, banana and apples but some oranges smells are present.

At first when tasting it a weird taste of reminding me of cheese was present but this quickly dissapeared. A sour beer, cereal flavours, that ends with shy notes of fruits and hops

3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured a straw color with hardly any head to mention. Spotty, wimpy looking lace. Nose was of cut peaches, but not fresh peaches. Flavor was strong of wheat. Citrus came through as well as some unripe peaches. Mouthfeel was almost dry, but not quite. I found this beer very easy to drink, but overall it was not very inspirational.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

12 ouncer sampled, no freshness dating. I enjoyed this years ago when it was brewed in Texas, cant say I remember exactly how it tasted, but I was psyched to try this latest incarnation. This one pours the expected very cloudy dull yellow, with a bright white head and leaving some scattered lacing. Nose is all about cloves, pepper and some orangy bananas. Pleasant light bodied ale, more cloves, ripe bananas and pepper picked up. Finishes, smooth and slightly dry. Fine warm weather brew and with all sorts of salads, cheese, fish etc etc.

4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: Poured aggressively to give about a quarter inch head of loose active bubbles on top of a mostly clear pale straw liquid. The head fell in less than a minute, and there were few bubbles rising to maintain it.

Aroma: Dry biscuity wheat malt along with some orangey citrus and what smells like some light spiciness...perhaps coriander?

Taste: Very light bodied and refreshing. The grainy sweetness dominates the flavor also. There seems to be a light banana flavor in here also, that I am just getting in the nose since I tasted it. The orange flavors mix nicely with the beer.

Opinion: I think that this is a pretty good beer. I think that I am reviewing it during the right month, but its just not hot enough in the room I'm in for such a quencher. This is super light, but may be too flavorful for a newbie. Still, this one that I would recommend trying.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

I really like this beer. Totally drinkable, totally enjoyable. Not only a good crossover beer for those getting into craft beers, but an solid brew that demands respect from the most descriminating BA. Pours out to a cloudy yellow color with a nice white foamy head and some minor traces of lace. Medium high carbonation. The aroma is inviting; odors of cooked corn, sweet bread and some floral notes. Very nice. Taste was fantastic, and very well blended. Flavors of corn, malt, hops, grain and notes of citrus and yeast. The carbonation really brings the nuances of this beer to the senses. Finished with a zing. Very well made beer. I will be having more of these. This is the best Witbier I have had, and one of the best beers I have ever had. Highly recommended.

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Cloudy pale yellow with carbonation racing upward forming a 1/4" white head.

Lemony citrus smell with a sour yeasty thing going on also.

Flavors of sweetly spiced lemon cookies and just enough malt to keep the light flavors from disappearing too quickly. An interesting slightly saltiness creeps up at the end - nice.

Mouthfeel is fantastic. Ultra fine carbonation keeps the light-med. body refreshingly active. Nice coriander and citrus spice that levels off nicely in the flavorful finish.

Drinkability is way up there; low ABV and ultra refreshing.

This beer has seen its good and bad days. Seeing the brewery has been through 3 brewers in the last few years, consistency has been questionable. I think it been great the past 4 months I've been drinking it. Luckily I live only 20 minutes from the brewery and the local retailers seem to always have a fresh supply especially during the spring/summer. Getting this beer at it's freshest is paramount. A good interpretation of an often massacred style.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

poured a cloudy light amber color with modest white head that was retained throughout the glass. The smell is strong of spices and corriander and excites the nose. Taste is fantastic and really pleases the mouth. Aftertaste is superb with a slight dryness. Great drinking beer.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Celis White is a hazy, straw color with a good level of carbonation. The head is large, sticky, and ultra-white. The aroma is spicy and yeasty, with clove and coriander smells standing out. A sip starts with an initial bite of yeast flavor, somewhat clove-like, with a good level of an almost lemony spice flavor. Coriander is definently in the mix, but some sweeter spice is also present. The underlying wheat body occaisionally makes itself known and adds another layer to a tasty beer. This probably isn't the best wit I've had, but the style is well-represented with no complaints from me.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Well there's not much to be said here that hasn't already been said; and I wish I could avoid the comparison to the original and just let this beer stand on it's own, but I can't. It's more malty than the original, and that drags down its drinkability a bit. Otherwise, it's pretty much right on as I remember it. The yeast is not quite the same, and the coriander was a touch heavy handed, but I'll certainly have another! I'm glad to see one of my favorite beers revived; and quite relieved that it's been done fairly well.

4.17/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a very bright yellow but light in color almost clear. The white head on this one makes it look like a lemon merigune pie. Smell is lemony and sweet. Also an aroma of corriander. First sip revelas a grassy and lemony taste. Very refreshing and crisp an easily drinkable beer. I know it comes with a high expectation due to the previous history of Celis. However, I like this beer. It is good with food like cheese and bread. I can easily drink this. The corriander might be a bit cloying after a few however. Corriander taste is coming through deeper into the glass. Still I paired this with a combination goats, sheep, and cow cheese with a rustic Italian bread and it held up well with the grassy taste. I really wanted a Hennepin and this filled the gap when I couldn't quite get what I wanted.

4.19/5  rDev +11.1%

Appears a cloudy yellow with a fizzy white head and hardly any lacing.
Smell is of heavy, pleasant whiffs of orange peel and clove.
Taste is of the same pleasant aromas that grace this glass, along with a slight taste of white pepper along with the clove.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and flavorful with a spice and orange taste coming through the body.
Drinkability is excellent. This is a nice treat on draft.

Finger licking good.

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

This belgian white pours with the classic flaxen, unfiltered appearance. The head is a little bit thin, but the smell is a refreshing mix of clove and sweetness. The taste is a smooth blend of banana and cloves and sweetness. A great example of the belgina white style.

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours very light straw colored with a faint cloudiness. Seems to be mostly filtered, may be a very thin film of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. Yeasty aroma of bananas wafts up, with some wheat there as well. Taste is pale malts with grainy wheat feel. Low carbonation enhances the otherwise subtle fruitiness. Slight metallic finish mixed with yeast. Not terrible, but a fairly pedestrian version of a witbier.

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

This is an above average, thought not exemplary version of the classic Belgian White Beer we all know and love. Not much, head, deep golden hue, and a number of "herbs" in there make it spicy and refreshing on a summer's day. Not life changing, but recommended.

3.72/5  rDev -1.3%

This one pours a clear golden color with a large white head. I found a lot of inconsistencies with the carbonation in this beer. Some bottles I open poured with way more head than others with the same kind of pour given to each bottle. There were heavy citrus and coriander nots in this one. Taste followed the nose as far as citrus and coriander go. It was semi-sweet but the taste didn't seem to live up to the aroma. It wasn't bad but I wasn't super impressed with it. decent mouthfeel. Maybe a little too much carb. Its an alright beer.

3.76/5  rDev -0.3%

This one was not too unbearable. Definitely a step up from the Hoegaarden, but not too complicated.

Got this as a single to try it out and got excited because I mistakened it for the other Celis.

Poured it into my mug and it had a nice opaqueness to it. It ihas the color of tea. Small head but great lacing due to the carbonation.

The taste was very clean, and got a better sense of smell having my nose stuck in the mug. Has the banana scent to it, which I like, but it finishes with that mineral taste, which I dont like.

All and all a solid brew, great to chill with on a summer's day. I would get this if I had a hankering for a Witbier and if no Hitachino around.

4.27/5  rDev +13.3%

Quite pale yellow, hazy, with a moderate initial head that fades all too quickly. Vanilla fruitiness and a light coriander define the nose. The flavor, too, has a lot of coriander, strong even for the style. Apple, or maybe banana, fruitiness abounds, with a touch of honey or bubblegum. The finish is tart, lightly citric. Mouthfeel is moderately full, creamy and well-carbonated.

Celis White has been one of my favorite beers for more than a decade. The Michigan Brewing example tastes just like I remember the original, when it was made down in Austin. I hope they'll bring back the Grand Cru to Texas someday. It's basically a very strong, extremely tasty version of the white, with more coriander than I've ever found in another beer.

3.94/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Somewhat hazy, clear light golden in color, with a clean white head that recedes rather quickly. Lacing is good. Nose is great, with notes of lemon, herbs, and flowers--roses, perhaps. Taste is crisp, bright and lemony, though not overly spritzy. Rather, there is a softness and mellowness. Refreshing.

Not the powerhouse wit that is Allagash, but admirable for an american wheat, of any type.

4.17/5  rDev +10.6%

clear, straw-yellow color, active carbonation, big, fluffy white head, very nice looking...
Aroma: a burst of coriander bombs the nose, accompanied by citric fruit, orange and a hint of lemon, beautiful combination, nearly ethereal, but definitely uplifting and lively. Gorgeous.
Great blast of spice and citrus on the tongue, lush, creamy texture...big fruit, nice hops, just enough tasty malt. Body is light to medium, finish ias a bit complex and lemony.
Classic witbier. Very tasty, and extremely drinkable.
I could down this by the case-ful in the summertime.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a cloudy, light straw yellow body with a small white head that quickly diminishes into some patch and sheet lace.
Nice Wit aromas of lemon, orange, pepper, clove, wheat, and a note of yeast.
Mouthfeel is medium light in body with ideal carbonation.
Very tasty, with lemon citrus, wheat grain, coriander, white pepper, and appropriate notes of malt and yeast.
Crisp and refreshing, as a good Witbier should be. Very sessionable, and well constructed. Thanks to mentor for the hookup.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

My Holey Grail of beers that I have been searching for. It has been too many years since I sampled you my wit friend and things have changed. Orinally you were brewed in Austin, but now you are being produced across the big pond from me in MI. After several unanswered BA Trades a good friend was able to pick you up in Austin. Unlike myself, your appearance has not changed since we last met. You poured a cloudy yelloy head that gave way to wonderful creamy head. I could smell orange, corriander and wheat. Your taste was refreshing like drinking a toasted piece of white bread with an orange marmalade. My friend, you would be perfect on a hot August day and I could drink you and a few of your friends.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Lucent straw--that resembles Chablis--with a bright white cap that is large, fluffystiff and styrofoam-like. Unfortunately, it deflates within minutes, isn't the least bit tacky and leaves nothing more than a short, scalloped collar of lace. The nose consists of clove (primarily), orange zest (secondarily) and a lightly funky yeastiness that is the best part of the whole deal.

The wheat malty backbone is firm enough to provide a more than acceptable amount of body and sweetness. I'm finding it hard to nail down the body/mouthfeel and have decided to land on medium-full for the style. The sweet maltiness gives it an expansive, slightly viscous feel while the carbonation is abundant enough to keep it on the quaffable side.

The flavor is good, but not outstanding. Clove is still the dominant actor, but it isn't so strong as to overpower the orange zest. Even though the various elements of the flavor profile really do work well together, something seems to be missing. The 'impressed' signal just isn't making it to my brain for some reason. Note: enough voltage got through by the bottom half of the bottle for me to kick the taste score up a notch. More yeast perhaps?

It's a shame that none of us will ever be able to sample the original Celis White. This version is tasty though and even if it doesn't make it into my witbier upper tier, it should please most lovers of the style.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Served on-tap at Conor O'neils in Ann Arbor.

medium yellow color, very clear. Slight head leaves just a little foam by the end of the glass. No lacing.

Stick your thumbnail into an orange and smell. Same thing.

Tastes like a sweet orange. The kind that doesn't leave the state of Florida. There is a slight bitterness that seems to come from orange pith rather than any hops.

Mouthfeel is light with low carbonation. Very refreshing.

Hot day...Celis White...Cool day.

Celis White from Michigan Brewing Company