Celis White | Michigan Brewing Company

Added by kbub6f on 10-27-2002

13%

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

12oz bottle served in a pint glass

The beer pours a hazy yellow, thin head that rapidly vanishes. Upon the initial smell, it reminded me of the Saison I had tried the other night but not as strong.

As the chill came off the fruit flavors come out. A lemon zest flavor along with orange. I was surprised after my initial reaction to the smell that I enjoyed this beer. Not one of my favorites, but I thought I might be taking the Belgian Whites off my list, but this will get me to try more. I would let this sit out a bit from the fridge before drinking, it became more enjoyable and flavorful as the chill came off.

The carbonation is tingly on the tongue, and a slight silky texture.

It is mildly sweet, not bitter and refreshing. It peaks my interest to try more Belgian Whites.

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

This belgian white pours with the classic flaxen, unfiltered appearance. The head is a little bit thin, but the smell is a refreshing mix of clove and sweetness. The taste is a smooth blend of banana and cloves and sweetness. A great example of the belgina white style.

2.33/5  rDev -38.2%

A-Pours a cloudy yellow color. Small head that dissappears too quickly. No lacing and very dull.

S-Citrus and coriander notes. Very tart almost stale.

T-Very tart, citrus taste with light coriander spice. Very sweet and not very balanced. I thinked my beer is old or skunked because I can't believe Pierre would allow Michigan Brewing to ruin his masterpiece like that.

M-Light with no carbonation. Flat and sour. Crap, it is skunked.

D-I remember when Celis still brewed in Austin and this was one of my all-time favorites. The move north to Michigan didn't help it at all. This may true only from states at the outer range of distribution but to ruin the beer in the state that it was born in is a crime. Pierre, please come back to Texas.

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Beer pours quite nicely into a pint glass with a thick white fluffy head that dissipates quickly and leaves minimal lacing on the glass. It's a nice pale cloudy yellow color.

S - Nice fruity aroma with a hint of spice and yeast in there. I'm getting lemon too.

T - Nice yeasty taste with a hint of sourness and spice. Quite enjoyable.

M - Carbonated and almost creamy mouthfeel. Light bodied.

D - Extremely drinkable. In the summer I could drink this by the case load out in the yard.

4.57/5  rDev +21.2%

Wow! I love this beer. I'm so glad that its back. Found some at the beer store after keeping an eye out for it for a few months. It has to be one of my favorite white's, even better than Hoegaarden . It pours a very pale gold color, and very noticeable lemon smell. The beer has a nice thick white head that lasts. The lemon flavor is not too overwhelming , its surprisingly subtle, and mixes very well with the hop and wheat flavors. My favorite thing about celis white has to be the ability to quinch my thist. This beer would be even better on a hot day, but its great anytime.

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a matching cloud sitting on top. Nose is bready with lemon curd. Delicious, light citrus and banana wit, spicy and very creamy for the style. Great summertime refresher/quencher. Thanks alot to Kramer17801 for the bottle.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

A - Hazy pale yellow with a thin white head that dissipates fairly quickly

S - Coriander leads the charge accompanied by a slightly bitter floral aroma and belgian funk

T - The belgian funk and coriander are present behind the expected wheat backbone

M - Light to medium bodied and very smooth

O - A great summer session beer

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

A - a hazy straw under w fluffy, small head, poured into a pilsner glass.

S - too faint for the style, gave off notes of fruits and light spices, but overall, not aromatic enough.

T - I will give credit where its due, and the distinct, imported, dried apricot taste that comes through mid palate is very pleasing, however...

M - there is a long, long metallic finish for a wheat, more like an abbey. It's a bit off for me.

D - due to the finish, it's drinkability is reduced t average, where any wheat whould be higher, to me.

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a very hazy golden hue with a moderate head. Smells of citrus and spice.

Tastes good. Not too thin, like some other white beers. The citrus lingers on the tip of the tongue. A very drinkable beer. I'd compare it to Allagash White or Hoegaarden. Still not sure which of those beers I prefer. This one's a competitor, though.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

12 oz bottles served into a pint glass.

A - Clloudy, pale, straw color. Two-fingered white head comprised of larger bubbles. Average retention, receding to a skim of foam in a couple minutes. The head leaves little lace, but there is quite of bit of lace on the back of the glass as I drink it.

S - Complex and fruity aroma. Slightly sweet, apricots, vanilla, orange peel. and spices. There is a slight bitterness.

T - Flavor is mostly citrus fruit, particularly orange, and slightly sweet. There is an underlying wheat flavor. Aftertaste grows increasingly bitter, though its more orange peel than hoppy bitterness, and then recedes after about 30 seconds. There is also a bit of citrus tang in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Feels a little creamy at times and watery at times.

D - Very drinkable. The 12 oz serving is not enough. It is remarkable how strong the flavor builds and then how clean it ultimately finishes. The low alcohol is a bonus. It is a very flavorful beer for under 4%.

Except for the orange peel bitterness I tasted in the finish, it pretty much follows the style description perfectly.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a pale cloudy yellow. Decent carbonation and nice white head.

S: Wheat, yeast, and some fruits.

T: Wheat with some orange and then lemon at the finish.

M: Nice light and lively carbonation.

D: Nice light drink with low ABV. Good summertime drink when it's hot.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

My Holey Grail of beers that I have been searching for. It has been too many years since I sampled you my wit friend and things have changed. Orinally you were brewed in Austin, but now you are being produced across the big pond from me in MI. After several unanswered BA Trades a good friend was able to pick you up in Austin. Unlike myself, your appearance has not changed since we last met. You poured a cloudy yelloy head that gave way to wonderful creamy head. I could smell orange, corriander and wheat. Your taste was refreshing like drinking a toasted piece of white bread with an orange marmalade. My friend, you would be perfect on a hot August day and I could drink you and a few of your friends.

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Beer pours a hazy, light, straw yellow with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, some lacing left in glass. Smell is of bitter orange peel, coriander and some citrus zest. Taste is of citrus and orange peel, citrus zest and coriander that are blended well and not overdone. Carbonation is good, not over done. Mouth feel was soft and tart.

A great beer from an American brewery where Wit beers are rarely done as well and their Belgian counterparts. Refreshing and well done, especially as it warms closer to room temperature.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

I remember fondly the times in the early 1990's when I'd drive from central Illinois to Austin on vacation and bring back cases of this stuff to share with my friends..

I was excited when the bottle I cracked open looked, smelled and poured just like the original. But I found the sourness of this beer overwhelming compared to my fond memories. I could smell the coriander, but didn't find it in the taste.

Not that this is necessarily a bad beer. I'd rather drink this than a Blue Moon when I'm in the mood. I just remember a much more mellow beer with subtleness that is missing. My wife hated the original Celis White but is more than happy with this version.

I tried the Celis Grand Cru and it actually seemed closer to what I remember the White tasting like.

I wonder if I mix the two...

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%

Pretty hard to mess up a wheat beer, but this one isn't very good at all. The taste is unacceptable for the category. Very bland, and a bit off.

The smell is okay, prolly the best aspect of the beer.

You can drink it, but there is nothing that will make you come back to it.

3.36/5  rDev -10.9%

Celis White has a mild citrus nose and pours pale yellow in color with a nice full head. The body is crisp and tastes are effervescent on the tongue as the carbonation exaggerates the orange and spiced flavors. There's a light, hoppy bite and the flavors round out smoothly with a hint of banana and cream, along with the citrus fruitiness. It's delightful and surprisingly complex for a lighter brew.

This is an easy recommendation and a fine effort by Michigan Brewing to continue the tradition of Pierre Celis.

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

This is an above average, thought not exemplary version of the classic Belgian White Beer we all know and love. Not much, head, deep golden hue, and a number of "herbs" in there make it spicy and refreshing on a summer's day. Not life changing, but recommended.

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an American pint glass. With a small bright white colored head. It is slightly cloudy with a pale golden color and a decent amount of carbonation. The aroma is a crisp citrus with coriander and lemon notes. At 3.9% I wasn't expecting a ton of flavor. It doesn't lack but its extremely light with a nice light citrus. The spices in the aroma come through and help balance the beer, but it still falls somewhat sort. But overall very drinkable and a pleasant treat. I could see this being especially tasty on a hot summer day.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

poured from bottle into pint glass; has a dull golden opaque appearance. head is white before disappearing completely. smells fairly citrusy, not much else on the nose (not that i can notice anyway). taste is mainly a mild spiciness, corriander being the most noticeable, with some clove and lemon/citrus zest. just a faint hop presence on finish, with some malts. taste doesn't blow me away, but its not bad. beer has good carbonation, without a whole lot of bite. body is just about right for a witbier, not overly thin but less than medium bodied. i found it to be a very drinkable beer, (a nice one for a hot day) if average in most other ways. not a bad example of the style, though certainly not the best.

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a really nice wheat beer. It has a golden yellow color to it and a nice citrus scent. The taste is smooth. No hops at all and the malt is light also. The citrus what may be coriander are slightly noticeable. Its not very carbonated. Just smooth and easy to drink. No fruit wedge required.

Celis White from Michigan Brewing Company