Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Krombacher Dark | Krombacher Brauerei

krombacher.de

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-22-2009

4.2/5  rDev +21.7%

500ml Brown bottle poured into two Alt glasses: this beer is really dark, dead dark in fact, a huge light brown head topped off a good looking beer.

The aroma was of slightly smoked malts, coffee and dark chocolate also could be detected.

The flavours in the mouth followed the smells almost to the letter, roasted and toasted malts giving off those lovely chocolate and coffee tastes, again with a hint of smokiness.

Mouthfeel was a lot better than almost every other Schwarzbier I've had, being richer and thicker than the usual lager based brews normally found under this style.

Wasn't expecting such a good beer to be honest, glad I bought it. Easily the highest scoring beer of this style I've reviewed (this is the 12th).

4.2/5  rDev +21.7%

4.14/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.11/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

my taste buds have certainly changed. if I had had this one a few years ago I believe it would have been one of my top german brews up there with the franziskaner, spaten, weihenstephaner, etc..... but still a great brew! I like it!

4.1/5  rDev +18.8%

A - Deep flat brown, with generous beige head.

S - Roasted malts, chocolate, charcoal and coffee.

T - Coffee and dark chocolate with some bitterness in the finish. Inviting taste.

M - Medium bodied. A touch too much carbonation for my liking.

D - I keep going back for more. Carbonation seems overpowering below 10 deg celcius.

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is one of my go to beers when I find it during beer hunts. Overall a solid beer. The color is a clear, dark brown with a one finger tan head. I like the retention and decent lacing with this beer. The nose is sweet malt, roasted malt, syrup, and toast. On the finish, some elements of caramel come through. The feel is crisp with medium carbonation. An easy to drink dark beer. Schwarzbieresque? I'd say so. Overall a decent drinkable dark.

4.04/5  rDev +17.1%