Okocim Porter | Browar Okocim S.A. (Carlsberg)

good
Read the review
Okocim PorterOkocim Porter

Browar Okocim S.A. (Carlsberg)
Poland | website

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Reviews: 466 | Ratings: 546

The first time I ever tasted Okocim Porter was at my first beer festival ever, back when I knew jack shit about beer (other than that I liked to drink it). I tried many different brews that day, and only one struck me as simply outstanding. Even though there were hundreds of beers to try, I kept draggin' my girlfriend back over to the Okocim table for more sips! This review will be the fourth time I've had this wonderful beer since then.

Poured from an attractively dark and forboding bottle into a 22oz Okocim imperial pint glass. I get a kick out of Okocim's crest...it depics a long-horned ram about to slurp a giant foaming beer! How cool is that?

This one develops a two finger head that looks like a chocolate milk shake and leaves thick sticky lace on the glass and falls back into the brew as a solid sheet of miniscule bubbles. Oh shit, that is a nice head. I want to eat it with a spoon!

The nose is all malt, chocolate, and cream. I can smell both milk chocolate and dark chocolate and the same time! Malted milk balls and raisinets. Also... I can smell some freshly ground coffee. There is also a very nice earthy and woody foundation underneath all of that chocolate and coffee.

This is one tasty brew!! First, a tingly carbonation delivers loads of malt-chocolate goodness. Mid-sip, the carbonation rounds out into a thick creamy smoothness as a rich, smokey, earthy tone predominates. Then, and alcohol heat warms the throat and a bit of hop bitterness comes out to play. I love the way that the rich chocolate and vanilla cream flavors play over a very solid and robust foundation of salty, smokey, and earthy bitterness!! The finish is very slightly dry and bitter, and minutes later I can still taste chocolate, raisins, and coffee in my mouth! This is friggin' amazing.

As the beer warms, I can taste chocolate covered raisins, stronger coffee, and a very very slight hint of campfire smoke. There is also a bit of salt on the tongue that adds something very interesting to the complexity of this beer. Also, with time, the alcohol punch begins to really kick things up a notch! Even though this is definitley a chest thumping man's beer, the alcohol heat only adds (never detracts..as it often can in beers with this ABV) to the experience. I can just picture tough Polish sailor-type dudes quaffing this stuff.

I must say that it is my favorite beer so far. It just gets better every time! This lovable beer is rich and complex, but at the same time highly drinkable. There are no qualities about this porter that I dislike. IMO it's just about as perfect as a beer can be!

As the Polish say.... NA ZDROWIE! (pronounced na-strovia, it means...here's to your health!)

Wow. This is my first perfect ranking ever. I'm not even sure what to write in my review.

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a pint glass. No freshness dating on the bottle.

Deep, deep brown colored brew with little light seeping through. A rich, A&W Rootbeer-like head resolves to a thick, creamy layer of foam. Decent lacing throughout the glassful.

Aromas of sweet malt, brown sugar, toffee.

Flavors mimic aroma, and this is exceptionally smooth. Malty, slightly sweet to start with, and then just enough hop bitterness to cleanse the palate. Only the slightest hint of alcohol comes through as the beer warms. I've never tasted a beer this smooth or creamy and as perfectly balanced as this. Exceptional!!

Mouthfeel is extraordinary. Rich, creamy, velvety, with a clean finish. Is there even any alcohol in this? I'd never believe it. And it's over 8%? No way. This is too smooth and creamy.

I could drink this all night. It is the best beer I've ever had!!! As I mentioned above, this is the first perfect 5 rating I've ever given a beer, and this one truly deserves it. Wow! What a beer!!

4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

Wow! What impressive brew, close in taste to my favorite style dopplebock, easily the best Baltic Porter I've had!

Pours dark ruby red going to mahogony, still lets a little light through. Impressive tan head settles in a about 2.5 fingers. Lacing Good

Smell: Toasty malt, licorice, alcohol, cinamon, a feast for the nose!

Taste: Big malt with almost a jagermeister/licorice taste (on the mouth roof & tounge especially) on its heels. Some alcohol, toasted malts with brown sugar notes. Dryness and licorice in the finish

MF: This just melts in the mouth,nice job with the carbonation.

This survived the crossing and thrived at $2.20 a bottle I'll be hoarding. Super drinkable for its strength. This was the closet I've came to giving as a BA, nuff said

4.94/5  rDev +19.9%

bottle cellared since 3/02

Pours with a long lived deep brown firm and rocky head that takes it's time to settle over nearly opaque brownish red liquid. The nose is prune, brown sugar, slight chocolate. The taste is filled with notes of a lightly vinuous nature, dark fruit, cocoa, toffee and bitter roasted malts wrapped in a beefy, thick mouthfeel. Finishes with a bitter dark fruit flourish. Aged with grace, still flavor packed and complex...a malt monster.

Thanks to faernt (Chip) for the generous gift!

4.92/5  rDev +19.4%

Wow. Just wow. This is by far my favourite porter. I'm not as experienced with this style (or any style, for that matter) as some, but... wow. I could drink this all day, or at least until I fell on my ass from the 8.1% ABV.

Poured into a pint glass from a 500 mL bottle, a great-looking earthy brown with reddish tints. I think I got it at the right temperature, and there was a nice big fluffy head of just the right width.

Smell is fantastic -- Cocoa, sugarcane, raspberries, cherries, and some smoky alcohol flavours like whisky creeping in. Taste lives right up to it -- milk chocolate and coffee dominate, as well as overripe berries and a mild hint of smoked meat. Yum!

I heard a rumour (true or not?) that the LCBO in Ontario will no longer be stocking this, so I went and bought a bunch more. While I was there, some other guy was clearing out the entire stock! Guess I'm not the only paranoid one...

4.92/5  rDev +19.4%

500ml bottle in good condition poured into a Samuel Adams glass.

Bottle temperature on pour 56.8F from a 54F wine fridge.

Brilliant deep garnet red with a fleeting tan head. Head retention is decreased due to 8.3% alcohol.

Deep dark malt dominates aroma. Hops are not present. Aroma is complex with plum, raisin, dark cherry, currant. No fermentation aromas (esters, bread, etc) are present, very, very clean. This is an absolutely beautiful aroma, what I hope for in a Baltic Porter.

Flavor? What can I say to describe heaven? This beer is in perfect condition, really. Carbonation explodes the promised flavors of the aroma onto your tongue. This beer is a homebrewer's wet dream, you always know reality will never be as good, but here it is. First, this beer is incredibly clean, this allows the malt flavors to shine without unnecessary muddyness from yeast or its by products. Notes of plum, raisin, dark cherry, chocolate, coffee, Special B malt and clean base malt abound. This is a very clean and complex beer worth experiencing.

Sweet in the finish, the hops barely balance, but its not cloying, just pleasant. Chocolate and coffee flavors persist from early to late finish. Hop bitter just barely balances the sweetness, a real high wire act in the balance. Any less hop and it will be cloying, any more an it would be bitter.

In the world of BJCP judging, a 50 is the top score and never assigned. A 45 is as high as one normally goes. This beer is a 46. If it was a Spinal Tap amplifier it would go to 11. Get my drift? Don't pass this up if you have a chance to get a bottle in good condition.

4.9/5  rDev +18.9%

An absolute classic. I've been intrigued by the Baltic porter category for some time, and am truly glad I am getting the chance to finally try one. It's hard to rate this beer against other Baltic porters (since this is the first I've tried), but that hardly matters; this is a terrific beer regardless of category. Almost pitch black, though if you look closely through the light a beautiful ruby glint will come through. Huge rocky dark tan head that reduces, but doesn't quite disappear. It's got aromas somewhere between an imperial stout and a sweet barleywine (not like Bigfoot, more like Victory's Old Horizontal; then imagine it combined with Storm King). Tastes of slightly burnt raisins and prunes, with a bit of licorice and (maybe?) a touch of chocolately sweetness. Nice alcohol burn in the finish; not too strong, but definitely there. Whoa baby, this is a treat, and I like it.

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

16.9oz bottle obtained via trade with kmpitz2. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1" brown head over the barely translucent dark brown with burgundy highlights brew. Frothy head lasts well, with ample dark lacing. Aroma is hearty sweet dark grains, with hints of alcohol. Taste is the ideal combination of dark malt sweetness and seductive alcohol. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, and drinkability is also very nice. This one has been worth the wait to find, hopefully I'll be revisiting it soon.

4.87/5  rDev +18.2%

I've wanted to try this beer for a while now, ever since noticing its place on the BA top 100 list. I finally found it at Merchant's Fine Wines in Dearborn (and kind of cheap too, for <$2 for a 500ml bottle).

It looked like a stout when I poured it, with a black color that turns to a deep reddish brown when you put a light behind it. The head was tan and creamy looking but thin.

The smell is hard to describe but delicious. Mostly it smells malty and sweet like an imperial stout without any coffee aroma. I rated both the smell and taste as perfect. The flavor was intensely sweet but tempered by an alcohol burn. I could imagine chocolate flavors into it but only a hint of them. Mostly a very sweet malty beer.

I'll recommend this to everyone. It was pretty cheap but apparently not widely distributed. Now that I can recognize the bottle I'll be looking for it.

Excellent porter.

Has a beautiful chocolate color with an awsome tan head. Smell of Nuts, chocolate, and fig are present. Has a very smooth cahracter when you taste it. Seems to age pretty well. My dad and I had a bottle that was a year old and it was excellent. 8.1% ABV is nice and it finishes well. Awsome job Poland.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

This is one of my Absolute Favorite Baltic Porters.
There is a khaki colored head sitting proud over an near black body. The strong aroma gives off a bouquet of cherry, currents and booze with a hint of vanilla. The body is thick and silky but it doesn't stick to your mouth. There is a lot of complexity in this porter with big fruit flavors balanced by chocolate and coffee. There is enough alcohol in it to warm you all the way down but you can only detect it in the aftertaste. This is a standard barer of this style for me. Try it with dark chocolate covered strawberries or tofu in a brown mole with roasted corn.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

So I have this thing against weird bottles. I'm used to the flashy American marketing campaigns and it kind of brainwashed me. So I'm going to use that as my excuse for not spending more time in the import section of my local beer store. I'm realizing more and more how wrong my preconceived notions are. On the recommendation of the Beer Guy at the Beer Store, I picked up a 500ml bottle of the Okocim Porter. He said it was good, and I trust him, so I picked it up.

Wow, was he right. Pours deliciously into my Duvel tulip. Dark, almost black beer with a pale tan foamy head on the top that slowly fades into the beer. Looks like a delicious porter in the glass.

The smells coming out of this thing are fantastic. Smoked rum and caramel, with a bit of coffee. I could smell this one all day. The taste starts out cool and milky (although a bit more watery than milk - maybe as watery as a skim milk, though) and the flavor hits you as it reaches the back of your mouth. Sugary but malty and smoky at the same time. Chocolate. Fruity too, if only a little bit at the end of the malt. Dark fruits, if any. I'm not sure I taste it every time it hits my tounge but I definitely taste it sometimes. As it warms up the chocolate and the malt come through definitely. That skim milk think I was talking about earlier is still there, just not as prominent. I think it might be the cooler beer hitting the tounge - as it warms, it lessens.

This beer is wayyy too drinkable for its alcohol content. I could drink like 5 or 6 of these right now. It's just so damn tasty. I would call it sessionable almost, except that if you sessioned with it you'd probably pass out.

Overall this is a winner. I am going to compare it to Heavyweight's Perkuno's Hammer because that was my favorite porter before this one. This one is as tasty an cheaper. Plus it isn't disappearing because Browar Okocim has definitely not gone out of business!

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

WOW! The best Porter I've ever had!

The Poles know what they're doing with their dark beers- Warka is another dark Polish beer that I thought was sensational.

Beautiful creamy head, black velvet colour and mouth, low carbonation. Quite sweet (which I like) and very strong but the aroma of the alcohol does not overpower as it can in lagers of the same strength.

Definitely a beer for a colder evening or watching a late night game of rugby on the TV.

4.84/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance: Pours a deep, dark, and somewhat opaque brown. The body is capped with a thick and chewy light brown head. Decent head retention, but no lacing.

Smell: The aroma is very inviting with chocolate being the strongest individual smell. There's a nice malty scent, along with a slight woodiness. The overall smell is very rich and sweet.

Taste: Malt, malt, and more malt! The flavor starts with alcohol-soaked chocolate. Very rich, creamy, and warming. There's the same woody, cedar character I picked up on in the aroma, along with a touch of cinnamon. . A touch of roasted malt is in there too. Finishes with a small shot of alcohol, as well as a rush of spicy fruitiness.

Absolutely amazing...this is what lesser porters dream of being...

Mouthfeel: Very full bodied with a thick, luxurious mouthfeel. The way this beer feels in my mouth makes me delay each swallow as long as possible.

Drinkability: Quite good considering it's strength. While I could see myself drinking one of these anytime, I think it's best left to being a nightcap, like it is tonight.

I remember hearing that this beer was not being brewed anymore. If that's true, it's a sad day for beer lovers everywhere...

4.84/5  rDev +17.5%

This beer was purchased at The Party Source for about $2.00. The beer was served in a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a very nice mahoganony coloration. The head is about two fingers high with a creamed coffee coloration. The head has minimal retention. The beer has thin lacing remaining on my glass.

Smell: The beer has a understated coffee smell. The beer has a briefly spicey alcohol smell. The beer is a very pleasing brown sugar and molasis combo. The beer has a good anise/ licorice smell. Vague nuttyness combines with earthy hops. The beer has a burnt fruityness. This is a very nice porter.

Taste: The beer is a malty bomb. The beer has a very good choco/ weak coffee combo. The beer has pleanty of burnt fruityness. The beer has a earthy hoppyness combining with spicy alcohol. There is a bit of anise / licorice to the flavor. This is a dam nice porter.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is very mellow and smooth. The beer is just shy of medium bodied. I wish the beer had been a bit fuller on the body. Perhaps a bit of oilyness on the mouthfeel would have improved the beer. The beer is a dam fine beer drink. This beer is extremly drinkable. It was a pleasure to smell and taste the beer. The alcohol is well covered up in the smell, taste and mouthfeel. If it wasnt for the buzzing warming alcohol I wouldnt know this was 8%. This beer should be lightly chilled for best drinking. I will buy this beer any time I see it.

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

An outstanding porter, Okocim is in some ways the equal but rather different from Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. Though both are smooth and flavorful, Okocim has a somewhat sweeter flavor, and a subtle but recognizable reddish hue to its mainly deep, dark color when held to the light.

Okocim simply bursts with flavor--roasted coffee, chocolate, a hint of caramel. It also finishes well, leaving me with the roasted flavor. I find that it goes well with smoked mozzarella, and I have also had it to follow up a sumptuous roast turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Having more than one of these would be all too easy. A gem from mother Poland, very smooth and a beer that easily masks its rather high ABV (8.3% according to its label). Just outstanding, a must try and, to me, a very close second to the Taddy Porter atop my own list of preferred porters. At $2.29 at the local Piccadilly, this is an absolute steal.

4.82/5  rDev +17%

Appearance – The head came up moderately and went down straight away, which is typical of this robust porter style. The body is almost black.

Smell – The malts here are very rich and reek of high quality. The coffee smells freshly poured with maybe a dash of cream. The lightly-roasted malts are done just right. The sugars are modest as is my preference for unaged examples of the style. The alcohol is faint but not completely hidden. This is a class act.

Taste – Wow! The flavors here play together wondefully. The malts are modestly roasted but very firm. The sugars again don’t overpower but just do compliment the malt. There’s a touch of table to these browns with maybe a hint of powdered. No fruits, just sugar.

What’s so amazing about this flavor profile is the way that everything comes together with such ease. Like the OK Beer, this is very unassuming. The alcohol is so refined that you almost want to stick out your pinky. This is like a fine wine just about. It’s incredible.

Mouthfeel – This Baltic Porter just melts in your mouth. It’s bigger than medium but not full-bodied. The alcohol doesn’t sting; just pleases. If you drank this at room temperature you wouldn’t even know it was beer.

Drinkability – I’ve had some killer Porters over the years, but I just can’t remember having one this refined and so well put together. You almost need to create a whole new category for this one.

4.82/5  rDev +17%

[this is where I would tell you where I bought it and for how much, but I plan on going back there soon to buy the rest, so I am keeping it a secret until then!]

Reddish-black with a healthy light brown head and tight lacing. Smells like french-roast coffee, cream, walnuts, bananas, and powdered cocoa. Alcohol is hinted at. Very strong and pleasing aroma! Big body comes on slowly, earthy and dirty, then the crescendo reaches a peak after a second and leaves with a truffle-like finish. Oh! Heavenly! Lingers on and on. A little acidity and alcohol with the dessert flavors blend right together and last for thirty seconds. A great dessert with just enough zip to keep it interesting. After drinking the 500ml I was wishing that I had more. I can't really say that about many beers this thick and strong.

Wow - this is one spectacular beer. Not a session porter, but a good beer to finish a night off with. $2.99 for a 500ml?! What a steal!

4.82/5  rDev +17%

Pours black ruby in color with a thick and creamy tan colored head that sticks to the sides of the glass as it recedes. Nose is very reminiscent of Kahlua and crème de cacao. This is a full-bodied brew and is oh so very smooth and creamy in the mouth. Taste is rich dark malts, lots of chocolate syrup, and dark fruits followed by some notes of chocolate coffee liqueur and noticeable warming alcohol. An excellent choice for a nightcap, and once this gets 30 reviews, it’s sure to make the Top 50 List. Purchased from Liquid Solutions.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

An outstanding meringue, glorious. Looks like burnt meringue which is a dull tan. It's the color of an old walnut cabinet with cherry jubilee burning in a dark corner behind a just-cracked door. Smells of vanilla and chocolate malt and stewed prunes.

First, this is totally creamy. That meringue coats the mouth like a milkshake. Picture raspberry sauce over a burnt chocolate pudding. For garnish there's a single long strand of curly lemon zest. This is an impeccable beer. It's so soft you could use it as a pillow, and it's got a perfect acidity to inspire interesting dreams. I suggest you pick up a bunch of these very reasonably priced beers so you can sleep fitfully tonight.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

Dark brown, shining with ruby highlights. Full, thick crop of head, sticking around for ages by way of a thick collar. Splotchy lace. Excellent aroma, filled with notes of coffee, baker's chocolate, lagered roastiness, caramel, prune and vaguely hazelnut. Very smooth, leaning towards the sweet side. The flavor opens up with uncommon smoothness. Fuller body, with a silky mouthfeel and fine carbonation. Instantly coffee, moving into toffee roastiness and a splash of gooey chocolate. Prune and some grape fruitiness, with a hint of hazelnut. Caramel sweetness througout. Understated hops in the finish, subdued bitterness coming off slightly floral. No real alcohol presence. Fairly dry, which is impressive considering the muscle this one's got. A very elegant lager from my family's homeland. What a fantastic beer! One of the best baltic porters, and possibly the best beer in eastern europe.
There's tons of this beer, along with just about every other polish brew imported to the states, in the vast eastern european section at Liquor Depot in New Britain, CT.

4.78/5  rDev +16%

Pours a dark dark dark brown, with tan head. Lacing is great.

Aromas of molasses, herbal hops, sweet candy, and maybe a dark fruit, like raisin.

The taste is a spicy hops and active carbonation bite followed by a smooth and sweet malt explosion. Chocolatety, and brown sugar flavours lend to the smooth character. Dry in the mouth, very little but pleasant after-taste.

Yummy yummy yummy.

4.78/5  rDev +16%

Oh man, what a brew. Half a liter bottle poured into a thistle glass. It pours a jet black color with three fingers of medium tan foam. There is a great deal of lacing on the glass. It smells like malted milk balls with a hint of alcohol and a bit of raisins as well. A great aroma that fills the nose well. The taste has lots of complex dark fruity characters, including dates and raisins. Just the slightest dose of alcohol on the finish, just to keep you in check. The mouthfeel is exceptionally thick and coats the tongue well. The drinkability is awesome for an 8% brew. Brewdlyhooked13, thank you so much for this awesome and rare treat!!!

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured at a bit under cellar temp into a Stone Imperial Russian Stout goblet (hey, I don't have a special Baltic Porter glass!).

A: Thick black body with a 2 finger tan head that sticks around decently well, but doesn't leave much laving.

S: Lots of roasted malts, rum and dark fruits.

T: Delicious! This is one good porter! Initially, I get rum-soaked raisins, some chocolate, and some roasted malts. Hops finish with a nice bite. Dark fruits are also present - dates and plums, as is a touch of port. Even a touch of black licorice. So good!

M: Rich, smooth. Mouthfeel is not as dry as many porters, and I like that. Carbonation is at a nice and lively level.

D: This is so perfectly crafted - nothing out of balance, yet bursting at the seams with flavor. For a Baltic Porter, I can't imagine something more drinkable, thus the 5. Let's just say this bottle will go too fast.

Highly recommended! One of the absolute best porters I have ever had.

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Presentation: 500ml Half Litre real drinker’s bottle. Black colored crown cap imprinted with the Okocim logo in red, white and gold. Similar colored label, not quite the same as the BA avatar but close enough for identification purposes. Listed at 8.3% (not 8.1% as listed here on BA). No freshness date but Best Before the invasion of Czechoslovakia.

Appearance: Rich thick dark brown, polished mahogany body hewn from a single tree trunk. Pale tan head, soft creamy texture, firm presence. Solid carbonation

Nose: Punctuating nose, bold, thick and unforgiving. Vinous malts and crushed raisins punch the living daylights out of the quieter prunes, liquorices and burnt brown sugars. Light toffee and string caramel. Lovely.

Taste: A lovely thick crushed velvet pair of dark malt curtains open and entrance a brown sugar toffee middle. Alcohol and dark fruits blend in the back end and prevent this from being a sick sweet sickly mess, far from it in fact, it soon develops a toasty rich mature profile. Builds in complexity as it warms. Hints of coffee and dark chocolate too as it mellows to a room temperature brew – drink to cold or warm!?!? My recommendation would be to do both, crack it chilled and (try very hard) not to drink it all at once and sample this as it warms. A real treat.

Mouthfeel: Big, bold and beautiful. Stout like with Scotch undertones. Rich and toasty, not heavy or even thick, but like a good dark Chocolate – it impresses and projects body. Solid.

Drinkability: Damn if the Half Litre didn’t disappear in double quick time, where the heck did it go so quickly??

Overall: Oh my….oh my, oh my…this one raised a real big happy contemplative reflective smile tonight; it was a hard one to put down in more ways than one. The first time I ever tried this magnificent brew was at the Polish Club in Bradford (on Edmund Street), West Yorkshire, England. My then girlfriend Angie, her Dad and his girlfriend stumbled into the Polish Club one Sunday afternoon with me in tow after we had all sampled a few Real Ales at the New Beehive and one or two other of Bradford’s Free Houses. This was followed by a seriously “Bloody Hellfire” Curry at the now infamous International on the nearby Morley Street….somehow we parked near the Polish Club but we needed more thirst quenching, and Angie stormed into the Polish Club right past the “private club” sign, but sure enough her good looks and charm soon had us welcomed inside as “honorary Sunday members” with open arms. We ended up drinking all kinds of Polish beverages rarely seen in the UK that afternoon, including the oh so memorable Okocim Porter, which literally knocked my socks off then. It did tonight too. Oh happy times, happy memories…. A great Porter indeed, glad to see it back in the fold…..$2.39…..serious VFM….Value for Money.

Highly Recommended!

Okocim Porter from Browar Okocim S.A. (Carlsberg)