Bohemia | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

BohemiaBohemia

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
cuamoc.com

Style: German Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

Ratings: 1,075 |  Reviews: 422

Good shit bro, awesome beer

4.85/5  rDev +41.4%

I read some of the reviews and wonder why people bothered to review this beer when they only had one (Jay the Finn) and it had lime in it (Judge Roughneck). I enjoy lime occasionally, but to review a beer after only one and when lime was in it is pretty lame.

Bottom line - this is THE BEST MEXICAN BEER. PERIOD. I like Modelo, Victoria, Carta Blanca, Indio, and Leon, and even Dos Equis at times, but Bohemia is in a class by itself. I don't even know how to describe it, but I'll try. It smells better, it looks better, it feels better, it tastes better. It isn't overpowering, but it is definitely not weak. It has a very distinctive, unique taste. It is easy to drink and EVERY time I have it, I think to myself, I should never have any other beer - at least when in Mexico.

Bohemia is not real easy to find, but is totally worth it if you can. They also have a dark beer (Obscura) and a Wheat beer made with coriander and orange peel. They are also good, but the Clara is my favorite by far.

On the down side, it is ESSENTIAL to get these when they are fresh. Fresh Bohemia is gratifying and delicious. Stale Bohemia is not good. It isn't horrible, but it seriously drops to average or below average.

Unfortunately, Bohemia is not advertised like the other Mexican beers and as a result, is easy to miss.

UPDATE: Mexico is now getting more serious about craft beers so I may have to retract my "best Mexican beer, period" statement. But, if not THE best, it is still one of the best.

4.82/5  rDev +40.5%

My absolute favorite Mexican beer! The pour is a nice medium gold color that leaves great lace on the glass. The smell has slight citrus notes with a crisp malt scent that is very inviting. Flavor is out of the park with a nice mild hop bite in the front followed by a excelent subtle malt sweetness mixed with perfect carbonation levels in the finish. Perfect pairing with any spicy food or if you need a refreshing beverage on a warm day, look no further!

4.8/5  rDev +39.9%

4.75/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.72/5  rDev +37.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle poured into mug.

Three and a half finger off white head. Medium-high carbonation.

Pale in color

Smells: hop, corn, cereal, cooked veggies

Taste: barley, citrus, lemon, with a hop bite at the end!

Mouthfeel: Smooth and refreshing!

Overall, I didn't know I would be drinking a pils, but if I had to reach for one at a Mexican restaurant. I would choose this one.

4.7/5  rDev +37%

Good taste. Bitter. Mexican beer

4.69/5  rDev +36.7%

My new favorite Mexican beer aside from Negra Modelo. Pours a cloudy straw gold color. Hops are abundant in the nose. Taste is like that of a German pilsener. Hop bitterness shows its head towards the back of the throat. The beer leaves excellent lacing on the sides of the glass. This beer is also fairly carbonated, and there is a steady stream of bubbles issuing from the bottom of the glass. This and Negra Modelo are my two favorite Mexican beers.

4.69/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a very good beer one of my favorite mexican beers

4.6/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer is probally one of the most fine beers of all of mexico. when you go to mexico, locals dont drink corona ..etc .. they drink bohemia and indio .. these are from the finest brewery in mexico. Ive had the opportunity to tour the facility and it is exceptional and i urge you to try this beer !!

4.6/5  rDev +34.1%

4.59/5  rDev +33.8%

This is by far the most excellent Mexican lager made. This beer pairs wonderfully with any meaty food, a huge flavor enhancer. Very easy to drink, as others have said, it goes down very smoothly. Bohemia seems to have a lot more flavor and body than other pilsners I've tried.

4.53/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am by no means and expert but I have been telling and serving people this beer for years. I first came across it in Mc Allen TX and then in Juarez. MX and I was hooked when the served it the 2nd time. I could not believe that a border beer could be this good. So forget all the floral and spicy stuff just sit back sip and enjoy.

4.52/5  rDev +31.8%

Very quaffable beverage. Nice initial crisp flavor with an a nice subtle bite. Hint of honey, and the toasted grains are present, with an almost "invisible" floral aftertaste. Lightly carbonated, and when poured doesn't get too much head. The smell is grainy and malty, but after letting the beer breathe, more scents come through, slightly citrusy. One of the better beers Mexico has to offer.

4.52/5  rDev +31.8%

When I look around and see mindless beer drinkers enjoying their Coronas and Modelos, I sigh and hope that they discover a good Mexican beer like Bohemia. My top five Mex Beers would list as Bohemia, Indio, Victoria and lastly Dos Equis. Bohemia is by far a great tasting beer and now recently not hard to find.

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

Bohemia from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.