Bohemia | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

BohemiaBohemia

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
cuamoc.com

Style: German Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

Reviews: 416 | Ratings: 1,051
4.1/5  rDev +19.5%

with my only other mexican beer expierence being corona and dos equis. i found this beer to be nicely suprising. pours a very lear light gold. tons of bubbles, looks refreshing. the smell is a cross between grainyness with slight hops and spicy grass. overall pleasnt. very nice taste, touch of hop flavor, no offensive tones. goes down real smooth for little aftertaste. could definitly see drinking a few of these. definitly my favorite mexican beer.

3.83/5  rDev +11.7%

Overall this one and Negra modelo are my favorite beers to drink. They are very good beers, tried this one for the first time in Quero Terro Mexico, in 2002. I was at a little pub enjoying some acoustic music. This was the most expensive beer they had at a dollar fifty.

3.82/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured into a pils. glass from a 12 oz. bottle.

The pour is a pale golden with a tall white head. Retention is decent, but lacing is low.

The nose is mostly citrusy and floral with a hint of sweetness. The taste is more of the same at first, but the sweetness quickly goes away in favour of a sour bitterness.

Mouthfeel is thin with a high amount of carbonation. Drinkability is decent; I could have a few.

It's not a bad example of the style, and I will probably try it again. I just can't see keeping it on hand.

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: Golden in color with very little head and minor lacing.

Smell: Grain and hopps. Not an overpowering smell but not bad.

Taste: Grain and grass with a little citrus at the end. Much better than most other Mexican beers.

Mouthfeel and drinkability: Great carbonation and a sweet hoppy bitterness. I will drink this one again.

4.18/5  rDev +21.9%

I do not know why this beer is cataloged as not reccomended, but I do reccomend it. PErhaps one of the best MExican beers, or one of the less awfull. It has a bitter tatse but a sense of it is dark remains until you see it, it is clear. The problme is that is considered a craft beer and it is not.

4.42/5  rDev +28.9%

Poured a nice clear gold/straw color. You could see the carbonation bubbles rising. Half inch thick white head. Not much lacing.

Clean floral/citrus aroma with a touch of honey.

Flavor paralleled the aroma. Sweet malty flavor of light honey with a light hop bitterness of grapefruit.

Medium bodied but thin mouthfeel. I believe the carbonation makes it feel lighter in the aftertaste than it feels when it hits your toungue. Not much taste lingering on the palate unfortunately.

An excellent beer. Could pound it all day. Good balance and the fact this beer isn't heavy make this a good choice. This is and Negra Modelo are my favorite Mexican beers. Unless I go to Guadalajara where everybody drinks Estrella - then I gotta say what everybody says "Aqui Estrella es la cerveza que rifa!"

3.67/5  rDev +7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer poured a thin, pale yellow with a minimal white foam head that dissipated very quickly. No lacing noted.
The aroma is clean, with hop floral, and a touch of sweet malt on the nose.
The taste is crisp and clean. Very refreshing. Sweet, bready malts touch the palate and are cut by a moderate and earthy hop bitterness. The finish is clean and crisp.
This is an extremely drinkable lager, outclassing Corona by leaps and bounds. Drinking several of these on a hot summer day, or with some spicy south of the border fare would be easy and very enjoyable.

3.09/5  rDev -9.9%

looks like Vernor's ginger ale, darker gold to copper, filled with carbonation and no head to speak of. Sweet malty aroma that does not smell like corn (surprisingly). Wow, I think there may be some hops in this (well maybe) Seems to finish with somewhat of a hop bite, maybe hop bitterness and maybe even some even indescernable flavoring hops. Starts crisp and light, little bif of aftertaste. When I first tried this, I though it was great. I'm glad I waited until my second try to rate it. Now it's just ok. Modelo Especial beats this.

3.35/5  rDev -2.3%

1. clear with a light head that disappears fast

2. faint honey floral smell hops?

3. light crispness and slightly bitter at the end.

4. very smooth almost like tonic water

5. very easy to drink a lot of this.

Okay representation of the style goes well with Mexican food.

3.74/5  rDev +9%

Appearance:
Minimal head formation takes place upon first pour; the retention is also minimal and lacing is virtually non-existant. The color is a very pale, translucent yellow. Carbonation is also minimal.

Smell:
The aroma is very sweet; it's pretty grainy/malty with a hint of what seems to be either peach or orange (something fruity). A very, very faint hint of vanilla can also be detected (well - by me, at least) along with some spices (I'm not quite skilled enough to determine which).

Taste:
Overall, it's quite sweet and hardly bitter at all. There seems to be a bit of bitterness, but it's probably just there (to attempt) to balance out the malty character. That very slight hint of vanilla is manifest in the palate; however, the fruity aroma isn't really present on the taste buds. The malt/sweetness seems to be the dominant characteristic. It's a little spicy, too, but quite good nonetheless.

Mouthfeel:
Wow - I didn't think a beer could be both creamy and light but this seems to pull it off. I guess it's kind of hard to explain, but it's just kind of creamy without being excessively heavy (which I like, either way). The carbonation really isn't present on the tongue.

Drinkability:
Let's use a simple math equation to explain this one:

(1)Hot day + (x)Bohemia = (x)More-tolerable-hot-day

This beer goes down VERY easily - it's quite smooth and doesn't linger too much.

Summary:
This is quite a good Mexican beer. I don't know if I'd call it my favorite, but it's definately in my upper echelon with respect to what's available. There isn't really any type of flavor that sticks out too much, but it goes down very easily and would make a GREAT companion on a hot day. Try it if you haven't already.

Pours a clear golden color, Smell is nice and very sweet aroma, Taste Is mostly sweet malt, Mouthfeel is good, good amount of carbonation present, Very drinkable.

According to producers of Bohemia, (Cerveceria Cuauhtemoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.) this is a bohemian-style Pilsner.

Probably one of the best beers from Mexico; I invite people to try Bohemia.

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%

Bohemia pours a nice gold color with a average head.

It has nice smells of earthy scents.

The taste starts with the feel of malt followed by a nice taste of hops, making a nice full taste.

It has an average amount of carbonation, with a nice healthy feeling body.

Overall, Bohemia was a surprise for me. I ordered it randomly at a Mexican restaurant, thinking it would be the usual Mexican beer, but for me it is probably the best beer I have had coming from south of the border.

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%

I had this beer at a Mexican restaurant. It really went well with my spicy beef burrito. It poured out with very little head, but plenty of carbonation. It wasn't overly hoppy, but there was something about it that worked perfectly with spicy food. It also wasn't too heavy, which made it good for a dinner beer. Not a bad session beer, but not something i would go out of the way for either.

3.73/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz cold bottle at a local Mexican joint

Lets skip the intracacies and keep this review plain and simple, since that's what this beer is all about...

Overall - Super clean, lightly sweet, bready malt: light grassy/floral hops: Crisp, effervescent carbonation, light body, smooth. Just a super refreshing, subtle, clean lager. Nothing fancy, but no off notes here to speak of; highly drinkable.

3.61/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Pale golden yellow, 1 cm head dissipates before I'm done pouring.

S: Trying hard to pick something up here, citrus hops maybe, faint malts in the background?

T: Surprised by the taste since I couldn't get anything from the nose. More complex than expected. Dull malts up front a little bit of hops and a slightly bitter finish.

M: High carbonation, good finish.

D: Very nice lighter beer, could drink this for days.

3.6/5  rDev +5%

Appearance: golden, clear, sturdy 2 finger head head with great staying power and lacing
Smell: great blast of malt with spicy hops, strongest part of beer
Taste/Mouthfeel: this is where it stumbled a bit, the taste was a faint version of the smell, thus a bit disappointing, mouthfeel was a trace "watery" not full and foamy
Drinkability: all around a fine pilsner, actually very close to greatness had it tasted like it smelled!

2.56/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Good beer overall I tried one in a Mexican restaurant. It goes well with those dishes and has a pretty good taste. I'm more into heavy or darker beer soo this one was just ok. I would try it again if I had the chance depending on the atmosphere I'm in

4.02/5  rDev +17.2%

Pour: A pale clear yellow with no head a bit of lacing
Smell: Very mild, a bit sweet with slight citrus undertone
Taste: Very smooth, crisp and refreshing. A citrus undertone and finishes with a slight bitterness from the hops and a peppery spice.
My favorite Mexican beer. Pleasantly surprised and I recommend for a hot day or with a nice spicy meal.

3.62/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

A- Pale golden color with virtually no head.

S- Sweet malts, maybe some white grapes.

T- Very sweet. Sugar, some white grapes, sweet malts, syrup, green apples and some grainy bitterness at the end.

M- Flat, thick, syrupy.

D- I can drink a decent amount, but the high sugar content might limit this to a six pack.

Pleasantly surprised with this. Up until tonight, I thought Negra Modelo was the best Mexican macro beer. I found a better one.

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Been on a lighter beer kick lately...had this one with some home made shredded beef tacos.

This beer pours a bright, clear yellow into a pint glass. There is a thin white head and a bit of lacing.

The smell is somewhat floral from hops, accompanied by some malt overtones. Better than I expected.

Taste is citrusy, malty, not overwhelming. It is actually quite good, and goes well with the spicy meal that I am having.

Mouthfeel is carbonated, crisp, and refreshing. The bitterness invites more sips and is not cloying.

This is a very drinkable beer. One of the better Mexican beers out there and one that I will purchase in the future.

2.52/5  rDev -26.5%

Rather watery, in appearance. Pale yellow of a macro. Ditto, the small, quickly dissapating head. Slightly fruity nose (grapes?), but other than that pretty much right down the middle of the road. There's an OK bitterness, but that's pretty much where this beer's unique offerings to Beerdom ends. Puny, weak mouthfeel. Generally bland, expected malt taste of cheap ajuncts. It seemed like there was a bit of an alcoholic kick behind it, but I see now the ABV is just 5.3%. Perhaps I noticed something just because it was relative to the beer's overall mediocrity. Grainy, dustry dry finish, which wasn't too bad. But I definitely won't seek this out again.

This was the first beer from a 12-beer sampler pack assembled by my (awesome) father in law as a birthday gift from the Blue Max (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1287/?view=beerfly). Many obscure, enticing porters and pub ales to explore. I'm glad this one is out of the way.

3.74/5  rDev +9%

(Bottle poured into pint glass) A rather drinkable beer, a little more body than the old standby Corona. Color was amber to golden, but the taste was a tad watered down from what I was expecting given the color. A suitable choice, great compliment to my spicy dinner. Not sure why some servers think there is a need to add lime to ALL Mexican beers though!

This is a good beer. I drank three of these watching Mexican League Soccer and eating at my local Mexican restaurant, El Toro in Springfield, OH. Fajitas are fantastic and the beer is cold, the football high level. Lot of emotion. This is a good European Lager made in Mexico. Thank Emporer Maximillian for this, he brought the Austrian and German brewers with him long ago. In the bottle there is gold top and silver top. The silver is a dark and tasty brew if you can find it. Good beer.

4.02/5  rDev +17.2%

I went to our favorite Mexican restaurants last night and I felt like a beer instead of the usual margarita, so I got one of these.

I was very suprised! I thought I was basically ordering one step up from a Corona. I was wrong. This is the real deal. The smell is wonderful and ranks right up there with hacker pschorr or a good tripel beer. It has sort of a sweet vanilla smell. Top quality ingredients for sure. Perfect for Mexican dishes, but I just bought a 12 pack for $14 and I can't think of a better beer for the price to drink with any type of food.

It is crisp on the pallet and the head is thin like most lagers.

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Has a pale gold appearance. Pours with a moderate head that quickly dissipates. Has a faint but agreeable hops aroma. Taste is actually very good, with malt character and a restrained hops presence. Good mouthfeel, with nice carbonation. I think this is a surprisingly good beer, and very drinkable. Also, some extra credit for a really attractive bottle. Distinctive squat brown with gold foil, and a warrior in full headress. One of my favorites.

Bohemia from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.