Bohemia | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

BohemiaBohemia

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: German Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

Reviews: 415 | Ratings: 1,044
3.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance: White frothy head. Lacing is there, but fades fast. Golden hay colored beer. Cool bottle.

Smell: Fruity, Heineken-like aroma. Malty sweet aroma.

Taste: Fruity flavored Heineken. Starts fruity and malty. Ends with light dry hops.

Mouthfeel: Tart, slightly puckering. Nice. Has some body and character. But a little watery.

Drinkability: This is a good beer. I would love this for barbecues. Holds up nice and easy to drink. A great all around social beer.

3.17/5  rDev -7.8%

beer poured a pale golden color. the head was present during the pour but ceased to be after the beer was in the glass. nose was grainy, with a wee bit of a sweet smell. Taste was rather grassy. tastes like corn and biscuits much like other mexican brews. had a hoppy taste to it towards the end of the beer. mouthfeel was thin, thinner than i like, but it was good for this beer. left my mouth feeling a bit oily, just a bit. not a bad brew, nothing to get excited about in my opinion but a good brew none-the-less. Surely one of the better brews from mexico.

3.77/5  rDev +9.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into pilsner glass.

A: I love the way this beer looks in the bottle. The bottle has an individual style with simple graphics. Plus the name screams that it should be a great beer. Pours light golden color with no/very little head. Nice czech pilsner carbonation.

S: Having a hard time smelling anything noteworthy. Smells pretty much as I think it should, but then again, I have a horrible nose.

T: More solid than other Mexican beers in my opinion. Slight hoppiness brings forth a bouquet of good flavor. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

M: Feels light in the mouth and easy to drink.

D: Very tasty, and much better than a Corona or Dos Equis. Definitely a very drinkable beer. I would buy this again, most likely to pair with Mexican food.

3.98/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

There's no better Mexican beer out there. It's hard to find, but as far as refreshing pilsener-style brews go, this is an excellent example and worth trying. Goes best with spicy food and is sessionable but doesn't shy away from giving you a kick after downing a few.
Highlight here is mouthfeel - very crisp, above-average carbonation while retaining flavor throughout. Very pleasant and almost nothing I'd rather drink on a beach.

3.4/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: normal looking pale ale: some fizz, golden shower yellow, wimpy head

Smell: Corn, some other grain

Taste: corn, balanced a bit with a touch of hops and malts,

Mouthfeel: medium thin, a bit grainy at the end

Drinkability: This is an easy drinker. It's a little complex but not much. It's a good bad porch drinkin' beer. It vaguely reminds me of Sam Adams but still doesn't come close. Still it serves a different purspose I suppose.

4.13/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is probably one of the best Mexican beers. Its a Pilsner in true tradition of a Bohemia style hence the name. Not as popular as your mass produced and advertised Mexican beers.
Very good medium taste yet easy to drink in hot weather and with spicy food. Always very consistent.

Its funny that the locals in Mexico joke that Corona is Donkey Pee and should only be exported put they'll keep the Bohemia and Victoria any day.

Next time you go to a Mexican restaurant I encourage you to skip the Corona/Dos Equis Etc. and give it a try.

Cheers

3.1/5  rDev -9.9%

A - Clear, pale golden yellow with about a finger width white head. Active bubbles below the surface work continuously beneath the quickly dissipating head.

S - Corn / cooked grain, faint hops, malt and a spice note. The nose is light but much more pronounced that most other Mexican beers.

T - Crisp, grain sweetness and over all mild flavor due to the pale malt base. At the finish mild hops add a mild spice and bitter kick.

M - Light-bodied, but not as watery as other Mexican beers. Ample carbonation.

O - For a Mexican beer Bohemia is a very flavorful choice. Though it does not equal other beers of the Pilsner style it does shine in its environment. I travel to Mexico frequently and in the unrelenting heat of Merida, Bohemia is blessed not so bad sanctuary.

3.79/5  rDev +10.2%

At first this beer doesn't give a very good impression. Looks like a pale yellow with a thin white head that quickly disappears. In other words, like a cheap macro lager.

Don't let the looks fool you though. Smells of lemons, hops and grain. The taste is a lot better. A lot of subtle flavors you can't easily put your finger on. Some hop tang, a touch of vanilla, some cracker malt, even a little lemon zest. All I know is this works and it is a quite tasty lager.

The mouthfeel seems right for a lager, not too heavy or thin. I can drink this all night long. My favorite Mexican beer.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

Nice pouring, nice looking brew. I had this for the first time the other night at a mexican restaurant. I tasted this lager both with and without lime. Without the lime I thought it was a very nice, smooth tasting lager. I won't go so far as to say it's my favorite mexican beer, but it's a pretty darn close #2.

When I had it with the lime, I thought it was still a good beer--however, it really changed the flavor of it. I don't want to say it took away from the beer, but it really did change the taste. Still good with the lime, but I do think it's even better without.

I think the taste was very clean and crisp, the mouthfeel was very nice. It was a little softer than a lot of lagers, but very nice. I rate this pretty high on drinkability. (My standard of drinkability is rating it by how well I think I could drink a brew all night). I could drink this one all night.

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - 1/2" head tops a nicely colored pale yellow beer.

Smell - Hoppy and grain filled scent and some yeast in the background.

Taste - I was not expecting the taste i got. Balanced well with hops, barley and malt. The sweet aftertaste is not over done.

Mouthfeel - Clean and crisp. Another nice summer time beer.

Drinkability - I like it. It has a good flavor for the type of beer it is.

3.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Golden, clear body, very white head, some lace. The carbonation is high as you can see a lot of bubbles rising. Smell is citric, some malt. Mouthfeel is a little creamy, the carbonation in combination with the citric taste bite a little, some grain flavor to end with some nice bitterness. There is some sweetness in there, but its a little hidden.

I liked this beer, much better than other common mexican lagers

3.85/5  rDev +11.9%

12oz bottle poured into a stein at the Fandango restaurant in Old Town, San Diego.

A: Golden brew with carbonation rising up. No noticeable head however. Would have been nice.

S: Not much to relate here. Little bit of hops and malt.

T: Wow, this was a welcome surprise! Plenty of hops in the taste, well for a lager, and a nice sweet bready malt taste.

M: Nice, smooth, and balanced between hops and malt. Little thin though, as compared to Sam Adams Boston Lager.

D: Now this is a great brew to have at any Mexican restaurant or just at a nice summer barbecue. Would definitely recommend having a sixer on hand for just an occasion.

Conclusion: While I was at dinner in Old Town, I wanted to taste something new. I had never heard of this brew when I saw it on the menu, I had to see if it was any good -- most major Mexican brewers have disappointed. But this one blew my socks off. It was actually good and worth the price of admission. It was so good that even the wife like it and recommended I pick up some at a later date. Nice brew. Definitely recommended!

3.07/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a lot like the American macros - pale yellow and a very small head that disappears quickly. Smells a lot like those beers also.

However, the taste was definitely better than the appearance. Very light characteristics that you would expect from a beer that looks and smells like this one does. But there is just enough hops to provide some flavor and leave a little bitter aftertaste.

I don't particularly like this style of beer so I probably won't be buying it again, but I would definitely not have a problem drinking another one if it was available. Overall this would be an easy to drink beer for even the pickiest of beer advocates.

3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

A pretty good beer from Mexico. Definitely better than most beers widely available here in the states. You can trace its European ancestry with its use of hops and malted barley. However, neither is very prominent, as the beer is medium-light in taste and profile. It fits very well with Mexican food. Another thing of note is that if the beer is made with the use of adjuncts (corn or rice), it is done with a rather deft hand, as it does not taste like it. Again, the taste is of a pleasant light maltiness with subdued influences from the hops on the finish. Good food beer. I could put quite a few of these away.

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%

Okay so I love Mexican food and I love beer. Unfortunately I can seldom find good beer at Mexican restaurant.

That being said, my waitress poured this into a mug way too gently, enabling no head to form. She then stated, "Couldn't ask for a better pour." I assume she was either mocking me or had no idea how to pour beer. The beer was a pale golden yellow.

The nose was was a little bland. I could only get a little scent of citrus and iron.

The taste also had a nice citrus note to it, plus some malts. Additionally, I was pretty impressed by the floral hoppiness of this beer. It's not bold, but it's there and enjoyable.

The mouthfeel was on the thin side, but it was extremely drinkable. I could have comfortably chugged the whole thing.

As far as beer I can find at Mexican restaurants, I would definitely order this again. It went great with my meal and was very refreshing.

2.43/5  rDev -29.4%

Golden pour, pretty yellow actually; golden is kind of kind.
(I'm not a fan of golden beers. No real reason...biased against gold, yellow beers mainly because of its resemblance to something...else.)

No real "head" per se, just some carbonation bubbles that accumlated at the top VERY briefly.

I caught a faint scent of, seriously, pork chop. Yes, pork chop. (And no, no one was cooking.) But seemed to fade pretty fast.
There was a slight vanilla scent that remained, and that was nice.

Its bitterness kind of sticks for a while at the top, back of the mouth. There's a slight creaminess to the feel, which is nice, but does a lot to point up the lingering aftertaste. Not a good end result.

Between this and a diet Pepsi, I'd take the Pepsi. Between this and a Bud light, it's be a real tought call and I'd hem and haw a little, but I guess I'd settle for this.

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

ok, take this with a grain of salt (not lime).

This is the best mexican beer out there. I always have a few in the fridge when we are eating mexican/spanish or hot food.
Call me crazy but I detect belgian yeast as well as heffenwiesen characteristics.
This is a good beer worth trying and drinking on hot days or pairing with the above mentioned food.

2.46/5  rDev -28.5%

A: 12 oz bottle. 2 fat fingers head, heavy lacing, light straw in color, slightly cloudy.

S: Very small amount fruit aroma, sort of hard to place. some grain as well, almost smells generic.

T/M: Had light body, stong carbonation.

D: Taste didn't improve with warmth, would probably go great with mexican food.

3.6/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

The best of the mass-produced Mexican beers, for sure ... a vienna? lager/ pilsener in style (lots of Germans migrated to Mexico, back in the days... thus , the blonde haired/blue-eyed Mexican folks ...)
A nice elegance? / soul that is usually missing from other cheapy macro-swill brews ... A decent smooth body and finish that doesn't assault your taste buds or sensibility as much as uber-hopped west coast style ales will do . (aint nobody got time for that...)
Ideal for basic Mexican cuisine (or any spicy food) .
has recently (2015) become my go-to 'cheap' beer when I don't want to spend more than $25/case . hits all the right notes in my mouth and won't crunkify you too much even if you have a couple too many ... ( can you say session beer ? )

3.64/5  rDev +5.8%

It's been a while since being in Mexico, but I do remember that I liked Bohemia better than the other commercially available mexican lagers. Let's see if it just wasn't a "vacation fling"...

Poured into a pilsner glass. Decent head build, subsides fairly quickly. Very little lacing, but OK for a pilsner. Color is light but appealing. Smell is great - this I was not expecting. Good malt and floral notes. Taste is a bit thin and watery. Hops presence is decent, but I think fairly low IBUs. Has a slight soapiness which (annoyingly) lingers a bit on the palate. Nice clean finish. This kind of reminds me of the mass-pilsner market in Germany.

Conclusion: very nice beer for a macro. Beats the piss outta Corona or Tecate, that's for sure. I will order this at any Mexican restaurant or the next time I'm on vacation in the beautiful county of Mexico. Ole!

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

The best beer our great neighbors from the south have provided. I once went to a Mexican restaurant and the stuck a lime on the top of the bottle... I flicked that stupid lime in a second and informed the waiter, this is Bohemia a real beer #nolimerequired.

3.97/5  rDev +15.4%

I don'know if it's because I've been in Mexico for two weeks and limited to a choice between Corona, Dos Equis, or Modelo, but, this Bohemia was like Flamenco Dancers prancing about on my tongue - castanets nipping at my palate. In comparison to beer from Plzen, the Czech Republic, it is more than a respectable effort! Solid in all its attributes...a FINE pilsner! My favorite latino brew to date!

2.93/5  rDev -14.8%

A: 12 oz bottle, 2 finger very frothy head, heavy lacing, pours pale yellow in color

S: slight fruity, hops aroma....very plain

T/had light body, strong carbonation.

D: avg beer taste, nothing special. tasted much better ice cold, but again nothing special

3.9/5  rDev +13.4%

As the owner of a Mexican restaurant and having all the available Mexican beers, this one is my favorite.

Clean straw color. Very little head.

Smells faintly fruity, with a nice bready aroma.

Taste is sweet, thicker than it appears, but has a noticeable soft and welcomed fruitiness. Very little bitterness but enough to make this a well balanced beer.

Overall, this is the best Vienna-Style/Pilsner (whatever you want to call it) Mexico offers. Clean, refreshing, sessionable, versatile enough to match most every flavor profile on our menu, and one that actually has some complexity to it.

3.71/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

In my opinion, Bohemia is by far the best Mexican beer. Had this in the foil topped bottle, so I will not comment on the head or any of that stuff, but this is overall a decent beer.

Whenever I go to a Mexican restaurant, I get a Bohemia. For some odd reason, about two years ago, every Mexican place in town started bringing it out with a lime--I guess to cater to the Corona crowd--but I wish this would not happen because I find that the lime taste messes up the flavor of the hops.

The taste is similar to German or Czech beer in general; there is a little hop flavor and a little bold malty flavor at the same time. It has a similar mouthfeel to a beer like Lowenbrau, which is not too watery, but not having a solid presence either.

Overall a solid beer, especially when compared to other Mexican beers.

Bohemia from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.