Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Bohemia | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

YOUR RATING = None |
BohemiaBohemia

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: German Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

Reviews: 414 | Ratings: 1,042
2.73/5  rDev -20.6%

a - Pours a pale, light yellow color, very clear with not much carbonation. Pretty substantial head, but fades real quick to nothing.

s - Not much going on, thin, alcohol smell.

t - Tastes alright, but nothing really distinctive. Has some corn tastes alongside that alcohol, lager taste.

m - Light bodied with some crispiness.

d - Went well with Mexican food, and I prefer it to something like Corona, but not something I would go for at the store.

3.47/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Slightly hazy and golden. Moderate carbonation. Looks better than the majority of Mexican beers.

S - Slight hints of hops and grain. No discernible corn scent.

T - Malty, bitter, and hoppy. Tastes more akin to an ale than a pilsner. This is the tastiest Mexican beer I've had thus far.

M - Full bodied and satisfying. Not watery at all.

I had this for the first time at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant. I was pleasantly surprised and will drink this each time I enjoy Mexican cousine.

3.65/5  rDev +6.1%

brewed by the same brewer as Tecate, my favorite beer, so i had to try it. similar to negra modelo, which i feel is better, but thats just me. this is also a great beer, if the didn't have negra modelo i would probably pick this up. i would recommend this to anyone who likes to explore new beers

2.59/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Look of a murky pilsner, golden. Not much of a smell. Taste of sheves of wheat and barley. In the mouth it is full bodied. I like craft beer best, yet this commercial from south of the border is decent.

3.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

poured into a basic shaker pint.
A:almost a brass clor with a bubbly white head that didn't last too long.Quite a bit of lacing

S:Hay and grains with a tad bit of spiceyness and hoppy kick.

T:Not at all like other pilsners i've had or mexican beers i've had.Spicey almost like cinnamon at first which turns into a light and good bitterness.

M: Smooth and light but not watery.Nice amount of carbonation.

D:very sessionable

pretty good but not one that you would have a craving for.i'd definitely drink it again

4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

Had this at the Tia Juana Restaurant in Fremont, California. Best Mexican food in the San Francisco's East Bay. In you're in the Irvington district -- check this place out. It's great. Right across the street from the Safeway.

Lovely golden yellow color. A little richer in appearance than your typical lager. Good, clean smell. I don't particularly care for bubble water beers like Corona -- so the hoppy bite to this brew was terrific. Very clean on the palate. Could drink this all night.

Had this right after a Dos Equis Special Amber and a Modelo Dark Ale -- and this beer blew the XX away -- and was definitely better than the Modelo. Try this beer out. You'll be very impressed.

4.07/5  rDev +18.3%

Very impressed with Bohemia. I really hope it catches on as a Mexican beer, because it steps up the beer game. It is a favorite of mine for many reasons.
The smell is good. The taste is unique...a hint of potency, and a hint of sweet. Similar to Negra Modelo, but has its own style for sure. I always look twice in the stores just to make sure I didn't pass it up. I really enjoy Bohemia, there is no doubt about it.

4.29/5  rDev +24.7%

This beer is unlike any other, for one. It has a vanilla/pilsner feel to it. I think I could actually sip on this beer all day and not get sick of it. Slightly pale and a very pleasing aroma. Maintains flavor throughout the bottle. Definetley one to remember

3.58/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When I was travelling in Mexico, it was one my favourite beer, regarding the macrobrewery. Of course, it is a clasical one, but it is find. The Body is typical: yellow and Gold, average carbonation and well balanced between malt and hop, the taste is really pleasant at the mouth. This beer is perfect with a tlayuda de Oaxaca.

3.93/5  rDev +14.2%

What a great beer to have with a Mexican dinner. Rather than grabbing a domestic American Beer, this beer is a wise choice. Not a strong brew, it has light malty taste, that tickles the senses. Try it with a chicken burrito, makes for a great dinner!

3.85/5  rDev +11.9%

There are certain situations where I am one who thinks beer and food go together so well as, say, manos en manos (if ya get me). Mexican cuisine and beer is one of those unions (Margaritas are a whole different story), in which cola or tea does'nt work for me. Enter Bohemia.
High life light light yellow, sweet grainy aroma, and a nice clean palate flavor, like some Japaneese beers I can recall. Negra Modello used to be my old stand by at most cocinas around, but a bad batch of those led me to try other offerings. If you get the chance, try this with your local favorite mexican establishment. Dig the label: I would love that as a t-shirt.

1.71/5  rDev -50.3%

Not a good beer. I don't know what I was expecting, but I guess I was expecting too much. Not much appearance. It looked like half sprite and half mountain dew. The smell? What smell. I couldn't smell anything.
Taste was pretty bad. I was expecting some kind of hops, maybe a little citrusy tinge, but I was really let down. All I tasted was the carbonationand a tad of sweetness. At the very end there was a tiny hoppy taste, but it disappeared quite quickly. The mouthfeel was fizzy, like a normal pilsener, but more like a carbonated beverage than a smooth, silky lager from "Bohemia". No aftertaste, either.

I'm not a fan of putting lemons or limes in a beer, and I don't think any kind of citrus fruit could have rescued it.

3.85/5  rDev +11.9%

First things first. This is a good beer. It isn't a great beer and it isn't an average beer. And it has style. For any of you readers that may be developing the packaging for a new beer, Bohemia has a great LOOK. The foil, the deco font, the stylized Aztec Indian, the brown/gold/yellow color scheme. This is what a beer bottle is supposed to look like. As opposed to cheeseball Photoshop gradients. I could go on and on about this aspect but that isn't why we are here....

A: (This has stayed in the bottle, so appearance is difficult to evaluate).
S: Bready, a little sweetness. I wouldn't go as far as to say yeasty although you can smell the yeast. No toast smells, and no obvious hoppy or alcoholic odors.
T: Very solid. In a lot of ways this reminds me of Warsteiner Dunkel. It has the right level of maltiness without getting excessive, but there is just a slight flavor of alcohol, which puts it just a notch below the W Dunkel.
M: Clean, maybe a little on the dry side.
D: Good drinkability, but heavy enough that you aren't going to down 4 of these in a row - and that isn't the point. For a beer you would pair with a meal, this is as good as it needs to be.

4.45/5  rDev +29.4%

I really dig this beer. Really has something special going on in it, great beer that is quite easy to find. I think this beer, even though it is not an am adj. lager, I could easily turn a Budweiser drinker on to this stuff.

A- excellent golden color with a nice light, thin head that leaves thin yet solid lacing.

S- Smells very clean, hints of corn and grassy-ish

T- very smooth, corn/light hoppiness

M- thin and smooth, some what slippery

D- very drinkable- this could be a great session beer

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%

I live in Costa Rica right now and I bought it a small supermarket which has a large wine, spirit, and beer selection which is rare.

I had it in a bottle but, I didn't pour it in a glass because I didn't have a worthy one at hand so I just poured a little in a clear glass to check out the appearance which was just average.

The first thing i noticed was the strong honey taste. It has the micro-brew taste which I thought I was surprising. It didn't taste like it expected it to. I have tried a beer that taste exactly the same but, I can't remember the name. I want to say Dogfish but, I'm not sure.

Overall it was ok, I would drink it again but, I don't think I would recommend since there a better pilsners out there.

3.04/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass:

Appearance: very clear, nice pale yellow, lots of bubbles. Head recesses quickly but leaves a thin layer of foam on top. Looks very nice for a german pils.

Aroma: faint smells of pale grain, but i smell a bit of green apple skin and some alcohol. Hops are very hidden, but i think im getting some slight floral and pepper-like hops.

Flavor: flavors matches aroma, with flavors of pale grain, almost like raw bread, im still picking up some green apple and a bit of alcohol makes its presence, but its not too overwhelming. Again, hops are faint and hard to distinguish a flavor from, but they do balance the grainyness of the beer as far as bitterness goes.I dont mind it.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, lots of carbonation, with a smooth dryness at the end.

Overall: a decent example of a german pils, but not on the top of my list. Something i could easily have a 6 pack though on a night of beer drinking. Something to check out if you have a chance, it wont dissapoint, but it wont be something youll write home about either.

4.13/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Still the king of mexican beers as far as I'm concerned, exceptionally smooth, not watered down like Corona or cheap tasting like Tecate, Carta Blanca etc. Color is darker than your average lager, great in a frosted mug.

Many mexican restaurants in Texas will carry this beer. One warning, since this beer is not as well known as other mexican brews, it may have been sitting in the storage room for a while. Like all beers, if it's old it may start to get a bit skunky. If you get a bottle from a fresh batch, you will not regret trying it.

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

This beer has a champagne clean look with a nice bubbly carbonation. Medium head w/med. retention. A citrus smell orange, lemon or both. Taste is good kind of a fuzzy orange. Feels good while drinking and nice and lively. Slight aftertaste. I prefer this beer cold and would drink it in hot or cold weather.

3.95/5  rDev +14.8%

If you're looking for a North American Pilsener as an alternative to the 'monster brews' flooding the market under the guise of 'IPAs' (or double, triple IPAs) look no further. Bohemia is hoppy and crisp but really blossoms when the cold edge softens. I wouldn't start it at room temp, but it rounds out as it warms up for sure. The mouthfeel is on the light side but the taste packs a nice hoppy punch. It's well balanced too, but definitely hop-forward.

4.69/5  rDev +36.3%

My new favorite Mexican beer aside from Negra Modelo. Pours a cloudy straw gold color. Hops are abundant in the nose. Taste is like that of a German pilsener. Hop bitterness shows its head towards the back of the throat. The beer leaves excellent lacing on the sides of the glass. This beer is also fairly carbonated, and there is a steady stream of bubbles issuing from the bottom of the glass. This and Negra Modelo are my two favorite Mexican beers.

3.37/5  rDev -2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A mexican beer i've been wanting to try for a while

A -A bright golden color with a huge 4 finger head that faded pretty quickly

S - HUGE SWEET grainy smell with a slight hoppy finish

T - The first note in was a slight sour mash and finished with a semi floral hoppy dry finish.

M- - Eh could have used a slight more carbonation to help float the flavor a little more on tongue

O - A solid mexican beer I gotta say they could have used a little more bitterness and a little bit more hops and a lot more grains but overall it a pretty good beer. Gotta say this is hands down the best mexican beer i've ever had.

4.52/5  rDev +31.4%

Very quaffable beverage. Nice initial crisp flavor with an a nice subtle bite. Hint of honey, and the toasted grains are present, with an almost "invisible" floral aftertaste. Lightly carbonated, and when poured doesn't get too much head. The smell is grainy and malty, but after letting the beer breathe, more scents come through, slightly citrusy. One of the better beers Mexico has to offer.

4.6/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer is probally one of the most fine beers of all of mexico. when you go to mexico, locals dont drink corona ..etc .. they drink bohemia and indio .. these are from the finest brewery in mexico. Ive had the opportunity to tour the facility and it is exceptional and i urge you to try this beer !!

4.33/5  rDev +25.9%

By far my favorite Mexican beer. A good hop bitterness, smell and taste that you enjoy through the entire drink. It has nice malt character and is very easy to drink. Not much head on this beer and what is there disappears very quickly. If you want to barbeque or hang out by the pool this is a great choice. Do not put fruit on this beer! I have to be very adamant about it everytime I order it at a Mexican restaurant. Servers think if it's made in Mexico it gets a lime. If we rated by the price this beer would deserve an A+. Not very expensive.

2.1/5  rDev -39%

Bought a 6 pack of bottles for $6.49 at local Mexican Supermarket.
Poored first one into a 16oz mug , drank second one out of the bottle . The packaging was nice and that was about it while not a offensive tasting beer I felt ripped off after drinking the first bottle no head and very flat.If I had a do over I would take High life or Oldstyle over this.

Bohemia from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.