Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Carta Blanca | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
poor
Read the review
Carta BlancaCarta Blanca

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by pezoids on 08-18-2001

37%

Reviews: 197 | Ratings: 503
4.7/5  rDev +72.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really love this Mexican beer im my opinion it has a nice rich taste. If your in the mood for some smooth Mexican beer give this one a try. This goes great with almost any kind off food or just to sit back and pound some down with friends. Next time your in the store and see a 6 pack pick one up.

4.6/5  rDev +68.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Pours a deep yellow color with a big head that fades.

S: Has a stale grain aroma.

T: Clean and a bit crisp. Generic bland taste.

F: has a smmooth feel & goes down easy if ice cold.

D: There are better Mexican beers out there. Best with mexican food.

4.43/5  rDev +62.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

OK - First of all, we need some context when rating Mexican beers. The choices of beers in MX is limited in comparison to the US (or other countries). In NO WAY should this beer be compared to a Sierra Nevada, Dogfish Head, Stone, or even any "crafty" beer. It is a (macro) lager, plain and simple. But, it is a REALLY good (macro) lager compared to others in MX and even the US,. It has a little flavor and more substance than many. It doesn't have that tangy swill taste that Corona and most Mexican beers have. It is a bit rounder and smoother. It's really not a bad beer. On top of that, when you consider that it sells for as little as $44 pesos for a 6-pack (currently around $2.50 USD) it is perhaps the best beer value on the planet!

4.3/5  rDev +57.5%

L- pale as a refreshing beer should be

S- sweet

T- clean refreshing

F- smooth light

O- one of my favorite beers in the summer when grilling or eating Mexican foos

4.28/5  rDev +56.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

poured from a brown 1 quart bottle into a mug.

L- golden/straw in color, crystal clear with a fluffy white head. a good looking mexican lager.

S- sweet malted barley with a hint of honey and lager yeast. a hint of lemon hop aroma. much better than your average mexican lager.

T- malt forward flavor with notes of toasted grain and malted barley adding a subtle honey-like flavor. faint hop bitterness with a bit of grass and lemon. very light on corn adjuncts, a bit of rice near the end. squeaky clean finish. more of a helles lager than an adjunct lager in character. similar to pacifico.

F- crisp, dry mouthfeel. great job.

O- not sure what "da bros" were smokin' when they reviewed this one....this is a great lager! recommended.

paired with homemade grilled Pollo Asado tacos with roasted Hatch chiles......I'm gonna miss the carnicerias here in Tucson =(

4.26/5  rDev +56%

I've got to day, I just really really like this beer. I could drink it over and over again. And seems to go perfectly with crackers and appetizers. It's really nothing exceptional, and it's really not goint to blow your mind away. But it's kind of like a really delicious cracker turned into a liquid, carbonated, drinkable form. I like it because it definitely doesn't have the sweetness present in most beers, but more of a dry taste, for the savory palate. It's definitely smooth, but without exceptional flavor though. It's hard to say why I prefer Carta Blanca so much, except that it's just so unoffensive, so unintense, yet distinct and smooth. It's great if you don't want to be overwhelmed by the beer, but want it to complement everything and anything (savory, that is)!

4.2/5  rDev +53.8%

Mexican beer should only be compared to mexican beer. When a country's water has the reputation that Mexico's has, one shouldn't expect the beer that's produced there to be on the same level as other beers from around the world. That being said, Carta Blanca is one of the best Mexican beers. It is very smooth with a pleasant after taste. It goes great with mexican food but I acually prefer other Mexican beers for that purpose. This is a good beer for drinking in the shade of a tree or out on the porch on a hot day. You can drink a six pack while grilling and your tongue will still be able to tell the difference between the cabrito and the menudo. I like it.

4.02/5  rDev +47.3%

Great AAL, def better than the last Corona I had. In terms of Mexican lagers I'd still pick Victoria(yea I know it's a Vienna style) over this but this hangs right with XX, Pacifico or Modelo

4.01/5  rDev +46.9%

Really pleasant beer to me. Pretty much taste like a good lager should. Like the light body has more flavor than other lagers. Its Better than Dos Equis, Modelo, and Corona. Taste as good as Bohemia and Tecate. This beer pairs well with anything!

NOt as good a sthe commercials used to say. But it is ok, maybe with the Mexican mixtures of lemon, salsa and some sauces, and salt, of course. BUt the beer by itself is nice, bubbling, little foam, like a lager like we know. A little bitter but just a little. Pale yellow with dark displays sometimes.

3.98/5  rDev +45.8%

Carta Blanca has a medium, white head and a clear golden color. Barley is the only smell I could pick up with the beer's faint aroma. The taste is mild, with barley again the main, if not only, feature. There is a slight hop presence in the background, but it seems appropriate for this product. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Carta Blanca finishes refreshing and not as dry as American lagers. Although, it is light, for sure, it is not bland. Overall, I really liked the beer and would like to enjoy one again.

RJT

3.98/5  rDev +45.8%

32 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance - Pale gold body. Thick loose white head with lots of retention and no stick.

Smell - Very strong corn. Earthy grains.

Taste - Pretty balance. Lots of corn notes in the body. Slightly bitter and very dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Mild body. Not flat, but very smooth. Plenty of smooth carbonation, but with no crispness. No astringency whatsoever.

Overall Drinkability - Very drinkable. No off flavors. Great for the style. Has a decent amount of flavor.

3.96/5  rDev +45.1%

I must have strange taste compared to most of you but this is exactly the type of beer I like.

Bought it in a large bottle at Albertson's. I was not expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised.

I really like Euro style beers(grew up there) and I have noticed that the Mexican beers come much closer to these then your typical, watery American run off the mill beer(coors etc)

This is a non-pretentious, good tasting, thirst quenching Cerveza.

Just what a beer needs to do. Definitely will buy this again.

3.9/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Rich clear gold with a two finger white head that departs rather quickly. Good amount of lacings.
Aroma is slight earthy hops.
Taste is slightly sweet malts quickly subdued by (real?) hops. Carbonation is just right, slightly dry mildly bitter finish. Very pleasant easy drinker. Good session beer due to mild flavors and low 4.5% abv. I would probably keep some of this around but the price runs $8 or $9 per sixer. I've never seen a short case for sale in my area, only sixers.
Edit: Aug. 17, 2015. Appearance is superb. Long lasting head with abundant lacing. Smell is grainy and mild grassy hops.
Taste is similar to the best German Pilsners I have enjoyed.
Overall I would take this over most Euro pale lagers anytime. It could be a freshness issue due to time and distance but this is a very good beer. And if it uses adjuncts I couldn't detect them.

3.83/5  rDev +40.3%

Comes in a large 1 quart brown glass bottle with no markings of any freshness date to be found. If this is available in smaller size bottles, 6-packs, or cans, I haven't seen any yet.

It pours a clear yellow color with a surprisingly large bubbly white head that lasts awhile and leaves plenty of lacing on the glass as you drink it.

The smell is sweet - a bit like bubble gum, and then there is the familiar corn adjunct grain smell found in a lot of macro lagers.

The taste is pleasantly sweet with just enough mild hop bitterness and plenty of carbonation to keep the sweetness in check. Crisp, well balanced, and quite refreshing and tasty for a cheap beer. It pairs well with spicy Mexican food, but it's also plenty good all by itself.

Spritzy yet buttery mouthfeel with the sweet flavor staying with you from start to finish. I didn't notice a trace of alcoholic presence whatsoever, making this an easy drinker. I only bought it because I never saw it before with the "caguama" label on it and I wasn't expecting much, but it was surprisingly good for what it is.

3.83/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A Really Nice Mexican Brew, Smooth,but with a fair amount of Flavor and you can actually taste some Hops in back,behind the Nice Malty Finish ,I would put this Brew right up there with "Tecate" and miles ahead of "Corona" [skunk piss in the bottle corona anyway] same for "Sol"~beware of Mexican brews in clear or Green Bottles my Friends,anyway I really enjoy this Beer and @ 2 bucks a Quart? SCORE! Cheers!

3.8/5  rDev +39.2%

This beer is the most drinkabily in my city from my buddies, and its no gave for me much taste, but had a little flavor of hops, its appearance and characteristics make a carta blanca the first pilsener beer in my country over la corona extra, his mouthfeel is good, smell so good like real pilsen, i only tried bottle and caguama, but dont try his can and tap serving type.

3.76/5  rDev +37.7%

Forgive me but I enjoy this beer. This is easily my favorite mexican macro lager. This stuff doesn't have the metallic notes of sol and doesn't have the skunk-funk of corona. Crisp, grainy, and well carbonated. It's easy to drink these quickly in the sun or help to chase down a spicy salsa. I also rarely find this stuff unless I'm in south Florida where they have it at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants. I say skip the lime. And as with most macro lagers... never get it in a can!

3.73/5  rDev +36.6%

Pours a brilliantly clear straw, with a half finger head. Quickly fizzles out leaving just a touch of spotty lacing. Clean aroma, mabye some weak adjuncts. Pilsener malt and mild rice flavor, with a spicy saaz-like hop bite in the aftertaste. The off-flavor is subdued and the overall taste has excellent balance. The mouthfeel is niether dry nor slick, and very smooth. Finishes clean and very drinkable. Outstanding compliment for Mexican cuisine or a humid summer day.

3.72/5  rDev +36.3%

Right when you open the bottle of this beer you catch the aroma that is distinctive o Carta Blanca. It smells sweet like a lemon has been dropped in it. Carta Blanca is one of my favorites. Mexican cerveza's have always been partial to me. It goes down smooth and tastes light and dark at the same time. It leaves no bitter after taste. It's is easy to drink a couple of them but I use the word couple delicately. i highly recommend this beer.

3.61/5  rDev +32.2%

Appearance: Yellow but darker than Bud, not saying much I suppose. Clear, sparkly, not bad, the head lasts halfway through the drink and the lacing is decent.

Smell: Sour macro, with a little lemon perhaps, not half bad.

T and M: Surprisingly good, clean, not too much corn as I had feared. Very thin in the mouthfeel and swirling around only makes it foamy and tasteless, but only dweebs like us would think of doing such things washed down my cheap mex take-out after a very long day @work and I can use the quart bottles to save time with my homebrew a plus.

Drinkability: If you don't expect more than it offers, it does the job with grace.

3.55/5  rDev +30%

This may be the worst beer to drink in the dead of winter in New York. Besides that, this beer is not terrible, for what it is. It's fizzy and yellow, has no smell, taste grainy, but is easy to drink and washes town tostada's nicely. Much better than Corona, almost as good as Tecate. Not great for 30 degree night, but pretty good for warm beachside day. Add a lime for flavor.

3.55/5  rDev +30%

I don't know why I keep coming back to this one. I just do.

Did you ever get hooked on a brew and just keep asking yourself, "Why?"

Well, here I am with my ump-teenth Carta Blanca, and every time I say, "Bueno!"

Of course, it's my first beer on any given evening, and I can only really drink one liter of the stuff before the twilight fantasy comes to a crashing halt, but...there I am, like a strung-out Cylon, trying to see what lies between the light and the dark.

[Okay, personal crap detector just went off.]

Alright. Looks good, smells good. The pour can give you a good, tight head (downright Teutonic!) if you work it right. It's got a great, sweet touch in the foretaste which just bursts into a super-quenching mouthfeel (It almost feels fattening it's so good). You can hold this mouthfeel for quite some time, as long as you can resist swallowing. Aftertaste speaks of a serious shrug of quality hops, and maybe even some barrel time. Whatever it is, it complements this ambiguous brew quite well.

I highly recommend this version (32 oz.) if you can get it.

3.53/5  rDev +29.3%

Beer poured a pale caramel color with a decent head in the glass. The smell had a strong grain component(rice?). Taste was a little better than the typical mega beer and it had a clean finish. It had decent mouthfeel, good carbonation and went very well with the awesome chicken mole we had at El Norteno in Albuquerque.

3.49/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. A clear yellow color with a small white head: Hey, a Mexican version of Coors. Not horrible but completely average. good with food.

Carta Blanca from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.