Dos Equis Amber Lager | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

good
Read the review
Dos Equis Amber LagerDos Equis Amber Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
cuamoc.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2001

Reviews: 743 | Ratings: 2,836
3.96/5  rDev +28.2%

$1.23 special.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured for appearance.

Appearance (4) : The head seems to just stick to itself like some kind of sci-fi film. It was cool to watch. There's a giant bubble on top about the size of a 50 cent piece. Not sure what that's about. Oops, it popped. 1 finger oatmeal-colored head that leaves an impressionable amount of lacing on the sides of the glass. It sits on top of a dark fiery amber hue, at an impressive 80% opacity only showing the shadow of my hand on the other side when held up to the light. I was expecting much less for this beer. A solid 4.

Smell (3.5) : A familiar smell. Maybe Amber Bock-ish? Maybe Blue Moon Seasonal...ish. Anyways, it's spiced, some coriander, has plenty of barley malt,with supplements of oatmeal, wheat, and corn. Maybe some rice. If this is all true to my nose we've got a lot of adjuncts. But perhaps I'm confused. Some faint faint citrus notes but I would call them fruity, not hoppy.

Taste (4.25) : Yeasty, bready, delicious. This was a good pick. The finish has a great yeasty bread dough flavor to it and some buttered bread. Wow, I like this a lot. Lots of malt character with graininess and fresh bread. Ends smooth and clean.

Mouthfeel (3.75) : Crisp, smooth, dry, clean.

Overall (3.96) : I'm a chatterbox tonight. Sorry for the long review. This is one of my top ambers now. Next time I see it for a good price I'll pick up a six or twelve. I was not expecting this as I typically don't like mexican style beers. But this one somehow rises above. Lovely yeasty bread dough with a slight sour malt character. Bravo (in every sense of the word)!

3.95/5  rDev +27.8%

I am at my nadir, reviewing a beer from a bottle that I have not yet been able to score in a CAN! O, the shame of it all and there is talk of booting me out of The CANQuest (TM) for failure to adhere to core policies. Please, CAN somebody find a CAN of this beer for me?!?

From the bottle: "Crafted in Mexico since 1897 to commemorate the arrival of the 'XX' century, 'Dos Equis' stands for 'Two X's' in Spanish. In our second century of fine brewing tradition, we continue offering Dos Equis Amber, a rich, robust flavored beer with the smooth drinkability of a classic dark-style lager. A true Mexican work of art."

Okay, first off, what Diego Rivera and Frieda Kahlo produced were "true Mexican work[s] of art", this is just a simple beer. Second, if you need to have the beer's name translated for you, I can only shake my head in disbelief. It's right there on the label and it does not "stand for", it actually means Two X's! Third, "dark" is not a style. End of rant.

I have to cop to being impressed by the finger-and-a-half of thick deep-tan head with decent retention off of my pour. Color was a gorgeous coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Nose had a caramel sweetness, very nice and very unexpected. Mouthfeel was medium with a mildly malty sweetness on the tongue. Finish was semi-dry and quite drinkable, plus the lacing it left behind was also notable. Now, I am doubly interested in trying it from a CAN. This was good, not great, but still ...

3.93/5  rDev +27.2%

Me and my boy Jones went by one of our three favorite beer-buying establishments last week, and I bought two six-packs of the Dos Equis Amber Lager...and I had forgotten just how really good that this beer tastes. I think my exact words were "wow, I have forgotten how freaking good this beer tastes!" This is definitely my go-to beer for any occasion. It has a nice amber color, and is just very "smooth". My boy Jones always orders a Dos Equis Amber draft beer at the local Mexican restaurant (I usually get a Negra Modelo, because you can't find it just everywhere...at least here in no-where-ville Missouri!).

If you are new to "beer snob-e-ness" and want to try a nice amber beer - this is the one...not Michelob Amber Bock....oh, sorry, that's for another review!

3.92/5  rDev +26.9%

Poured without much head but had a good lacing effect. Brownish-red in color and clear. Tiny bubbles stayed for quite a while.

Liked the aroma of malt. Grain mixed a little with slight hoppiness.

Taste again followed the indications of what was to come from the aroma. Hops came through a little better and I liked the malt.

Pleasant and medium weight with no off flavors.

Enjoyed this beer with a slice of lime. Did not see much difference either way as it did just as well without the lime.

3.92/5  rDev +26.9%

Dos Equis, reviewed as a Vienna Lager, googled at 4.8% ABV
11/16/08, draft in a taster glass @ Mellow Mushroom Pizza in Jacksonville, FL
A 3.5 - Copper golden color, ok lacing, no head (I think it's the glass)
S 4.0 - A big malt aroma, background of subtle hops & spicy-ness (semi earthy smell)
T 4.0 - Malty balanced with minor hop presence - but hops are there
MF 3.5 - medium body, medium+ carbo, a bit more carbonation than I would prefer
D 4.0 - good balance, I enjoyed the malty subtle hop presence

3.9/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It pours a nice amber color, and produced a 1 finger white head.

The smell was faint, but of biscuit, and malts.

The taste was the same as smell.

No bitter hops, easy drinking, medium carbonation. It had a light-medium mouth-feel.

This is my favorite beer from south of the border.

3.88/5  rDev +25.6%

A dark tea amber, rating a 21 on the SRM chart. Clear with micro bubble action. The head was heavy soap bubble in texture, with light yellow bubbles. The head dissipated to a heavy lace ring that has little clinging power. Roasted wheat and corn, with a little sweet malt in the aroma. Rich grain and malt flavor with a hint of bitterness. The flavor is robust and crisp, with a good balance of sweetness and tart. Plays well with my tongue and palate, nice tingle and aftertaste. This is a good choice of brew with steak and cheese. A good party pleaser, although the price is a little high, I would spring for this for my discriminating guests.

3.86/5  rDev +24.9%

Before I get into specifics, this beer is what I call a "home-field" beer. In other words, unless you drink it in Mexico, you really don't know how good it can be and have a legitimate level for comparison. I live within driving distance of Mexico, so I have had this beer on both sides of the frontera many times and it is demonstrably better (especially the green label) south of the border.

Just for info, I will never buy the green label on this side of the border due to the skunky condition that I have found it in far too many times. The Ambar doesn't seem to be affected by the importation anywhere near as often.

I find the appearance to be that of a classic lager, foamy and clear with steady bubbles upon opening. The usual opening smell is a signal of the smoothness of the upcoming taste: Not too strong, yet when the bottle is a fresh one, the odor has hints of alcoholic content. When the beer has the bottle-cappy smell right after popping the top, I advise to prepare for the first few drinks to be a rough experience. If fresh, it has a just-short-of-sharp first taste with light carbonation and a slight aftertaste that only lasts a second or two. I find Dos Equis Ambar to be refreshing and very good with food

Overall, I rate the beer higher than average and with the disclaimer that it has been one of my favorites for years now. Again, I will say that without exception, it is vastly better south of the border due to the obvious freshness of being a home-field beer.

3.86/5  rDev +24.9%

I am pretty sure I've only had this beer on tap. I always get this when we go out for Mexican food; $4 for 24 oz. is pretty awesome. Has a very nice dark amber color, fluffy off-white head. Minimal lacing. Taste is very balanced and smooth, always complemented nicely by two slices of fresh lime. This just has a great bitter hop and malt presence that can be appreciated by beer people and casual drinker alike. Mouthfeel is thin to medium, drinkability is rockin'. Awesome before, during and after the beach. Enjoy this with a burrito the size of your head.

3.85/5  rDev +24.6%

I had the beer at a restaurant and for some reason they did not managed to get me a glass. Without glass, I am unable to say anything about the color really. Carbonation seemed well balanced, aroma was nice and malt/hop flavor was well balanced. Not sure if it really can be considered a true Vienna Lager by style since it appeared to be me more of a BMC type beer. Overall beer went down well and I wouldn't mind getting another one at some point despite the mainstreet touch to the style.

Good Mexican beer.
Comes in a copper color, with a medium-sized head.
The smell is strong of dark roasted malts.
The taste is a nice dark beer. It tastes of roasted malts, not much else.
The mouthfeel is somewhat thick. I guess for a warm weather beer, one doesn't want much thickness.
This beer goes very good with Mexican food. Perfect to sip on next time you go to a Mexican restaurant.

3.85/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite lagers and much better than the special lager. Goes down easy and has a rich taste and feel to it. Very refreshing. Has the dark brown color I expect from a lager and isn't anything fancy or expensive.

Dos Equis Amber,
The taste is of a traditional lager though with a little more character. The color is a very pleasant clear amber. The beer pours with a small head that does not last long.
I highly recommend drinking the Amber on tap. It sells well at Mexican restaurants in the Greensboro, North Carolina area hence it always has a very fresh taste. I like a lime in my Dos Equis Amber but try it with and without and make your own decision.
It retains its fresh taste all the way to the end of a 34ounce glass. I have been drinking this beer reqularly for many years and have only been a little disappointed when consumed from a bottle. I have never been disappointed when served on tap. It goes well with any food and is a four season beer, as good when its cold outside as it is on a hot sunny day.
I am rating it as high as I am because for some reason I never tire of asking for a DEA and I can't wait to have a frosted mug of it placed in front of me with chips and salsa.

3.85/5  rDev +24.6%

12oz brown bottle. Reddish-copper crystal-clear body with a thin light tan head. Smells sweet and roasty, like caramel and biscuit. Tastes roasty and grainy and slightly watery with a clean finish. Light body with only moderate carbonation. Better than standard macro lager, but nothing particularly special. You'd be better off with Negra Modelo. Having said that, It's a light drinkable pleasant amber lager.

3.83/5  rDev +23.9%

Great Session beer. Very smooth with a really good taste. Could drink like 7 of these in 1 session. very easy to drink beer and very tasty. Overall pretty good beer and I really enjoyed it. Bottle is better then Draft. I was very impressed about how great it went down and like it a great deal more than the regular Dos Equis

3.83/5  rDev +23.9%

On draught: Healthy carbonation, but little body.

meagre head

Smell: malt, apples, a little hop

Taste: Sweet Malt, hoppy finish, not bitter though

Moutfeel: lacking, it was pretty thin on draught

I'd have again, if this was the only quality choice.

3.83/5  rDev +23.9%

Appearance is reddish brown with beige foam and lace that hangs around for a while. The aroma consists of roasted grain, malt and minimal hops. Initial taste is clean and dry, with a hint of bitterness. Aftertaste is sweet and pleasant. Superior to most other Mexican imported beers. Goes well with your favorite Mexican food.

3.82/5  rDev +23.6%

First experienced at an authentic Mexican Restaurant (owned and operated by real Mexican people). Had with dinner of chicken burritos and beef tacos with nachos. Complimented them very well.

Appearance: medium brown with a hint of bubbliness at the top around the edges.

Smell: my nose is not as fantastic as others on this site but i'd say a common smell of hops and malt, nothing very distinctive, but that's me.

Taste: very crisp with a little bitterness on the back of the toungue that melts through the initial crisp feeling that then fades into a non-sugary slight sweetness all around.

feel: somewhere smack in the middle between watery "___-light" beers and darker stouts. It's sort of a middle-runner for me in the feel department that makes it go nicely with dinner, not a "chewed" beer, but a bit more satisfying in the mouth than lighter beers.

Drinkability: It would be plesant to drink a couple with dinner or a few on a slow and calm night out, but they will give you a full-feeling if you try to party with it. for that I would suggest the special lager that is a bit lighter
and sweeter, more of a carona, but better even though it's not nearly as tasty as this beer.

3.82/5  rDev +23.6%

Beer with a dark amber color and coppery tones, small head of foam that disappears quickly; the smell is floral, hops, is pleasant; the taste have some roast malt, wood, and some caramelized hops, tasty; the mouthfeel have a medium bitterness accompanied by a high carbonation, little dry, good body; in the drinkability i love drink this beer with blue cheese.

3.82/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

No born on or best by date, so you are taking your chances with this one. The body is amber in its truest form. Off-white head that is thin but tall in the beginning and then quickly disappears to a lace that lingers around till about half way though the beer. Smell is better than I expected from a Mexican import. It is sweet and a little grainy. Very nice to the nose. Taste was very clean and crisp though not much flavor. Not very hoppy. Some malt but not much. Very mellow. Only distinct favors I could pick out were maybe some orange and some corn. A smokey aftertaste. It's a tad bit on the watery side. I think this beer would be very good with spicy Mexican food. It acts as a pretty good thirst quencher. Medium to high carbonation though the mouthfeel is still pretty smooth. There is also a little bit of creaminess to the beer. Over all a very very easy drinking beer.

3.82/5  rDev +23.6%

A- amber/copper in color, tiny white head than vanished as quickly as it appeared. Minimal white lace as well.

S- toasted malts, grainy and floral scents are strong with faint spice, sweetness, and some kind of citrus fruit(very faint on that one).

T- sweet and clean at first then flavor from the hops come in and leave a impression until finally leaving a almost sweet grainy aftertaste.

M- thin but not water like. slightly coarse, maybe just bubblying from the carnonation.

D- this most likely can be sessioned. easy to drink, enjoyable, probably can go with almost any meal. Good taste.

3.81/5  rDev +23.3%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a beer stein (no lime added).

A: Nice dark umber, rich tan composition, with white lacing that remains present for the duration of the beer; very llittle head retention (less than 1/4 of an inch).

S: Good caramelized malt -- a bit beefy, wood, smoke, hints of caramel and low alcohol.

T&M: Very crisp and light, just a touch of malty sweetness. Robust for such a mellow beer. Excellent mouthfeel that is creamy, but not overly rich. Hints of brown sugar on the finish (very present when the beer warms). Smooth, but the finish doesn't last as long as I'd prefer. I enjoy the presence, but not overwhelming sweetness. Some Viennas can be a little too sweet to drink a lot of -- good balance.

Out of all the Mexican imports, this has to be one of my two favorites. Much better on draft than out of the bottle, and the lime isn't necessary (even though I receive one everytime I order). Great with burritos, or nachos -- really anything that might be overly salty with cheese. Nice to have on hand for grilling too. Refreshing.

3.8/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep amber color with a small head that didn't last as long as I would have liked, but the left over lacing and light covering across the top makes it better.

Smell is malt with some very light hop esters and very faint alcohol hints.

Taste is malty with a lighter amount of hops. No trace of the alcohol from the nose, and goes down very smooth leaving hte palate refreshed.

A very decent brew especially when paired with Carne Asada and a cheese enchilada. Very drinkable for a lower priced beer.

3.8/5  rDev +23%

I bought this on a whim, and it sat in the fridge for a month until I tried it. It was a bottled beer. This beer has a very traditional lager smell and taste. It can blend in with the rest of the crowd. It does have a little bit of a dry after taste, which is nothing different than other lagers. It's not anything too special but it's something that isn't terrible. It's not what I expected, it tastes like an American lager no matter what what the label says. I'd recommend it, but it's not my number one. It's decent, thats it.

3.8/5  rDev +23%

Poured a pretty sexy one-finger off-white head. Unlike the original Dos Equis, the one has a good smell to it. Moderate banana bread character. Had to stick my nose close in there to smell it though. Hints of toffee. Taste is a bit like coffee, maybe a little bit of herb or dark tea. Mouthfeel is a bit spicey and goes down smooth.

Dos Equis Amber Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.