Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Dos Equis Amber Lager | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Dos Equis Amber LagerDos Equis Amber Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2001

Reviews: 742 | Ratings: 2,825
2.03/5  rDev -34.3%

I was in a Mexican restaurant (in Germany) and they called this Dos Equis Dark...not impressed. Sticky, sweet, malt driven, watery, weak. I dont usually drink beer, but when I do, it wouldn't be this....

2.04/5  rDev -34%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

It's a decent amber lager that is much better on tap then out of the bottle. You can expect a slight metallic taste when drinking any bottled beer but it is even more so prevolent in this Mexican favorite, it completely takes away from the true flavor that Dos Equis has to offer.

2.06/5  rDev -33.3%

When poured it had nice amber color with very little foam. That was the best of this beer. The smell of any spices or hops were not evident and the taste was very flat, with no flavor what so ever. Will NEVER waste my money or time drinking this amber ale!

2.08/5  rDev -32.7%

Reviewed around 8/10/09 I think, I didn't date the napkin.

A: Kind of a dark golden, I guess you could say amber but seems a light to be an honest amber color. Not much head to it, average carbonation.

S: Faint grain, that's about it, Pretty subtle aroma to it, not much going on.

T: Sweeter than I remember. Faint grain and hops, nothing to complex or offensive.

M: Light to medium, it's ok.

D: Well, I had 3 or so cups at a party, and I remembered why I haven't had it in a very long time. But, when in rome...

2.08/5  rDev -32.7%

Appearance: Medium amber with neither head nor lacing

Smell: What smell? I think there is a little maltiness but it was hard to discern

Taste: All malt and no hops; very little taste overall - just a bit of brown bread and bandaid phenols

Mouthfeel: Light, watery with a touch of carbonation

Drinkability: I couldn't even finish my pint it was so insipid

2.08/5  rDev -32.7%

Stopped at a local Mexican restaurant last night for dinner and was surprised to see Dos Equis on draft. Figured it was a good opportunity for a review and to really put down my thoughts on this beer. Truth be told, I've always found this to be a rather boring beer. This experience did nothing to change my mind.

The pint came with literally no head and was a reddish/amber color. Very clear with no visible carbonation. No lacing at all was left in the glass.

Aroma was of roasted malt and not much else, other than some sweetness.

The taste is frankly what I remember... boring, flat (not carbonation wise) and pretty straight forward. Some roasted malt tones up front, bordering on a burnt flavor, followed by some sweetness. Then you get a slight touch of hops as the flavor moves towards the finish. I was thinking and it hit me. This beer is like a food that lacks spice of any kind. It needed "salt".. something to provide depth and bring out the flavors. Is this where the lime tradition started? (I did NOT have lime in mine.

Mouth feel is light and lacking depth. Drinkability was lacking in that I found this to just be a boring beer. It had been a while since I've had one and I was hoping that I would find the tap version to be a little more exciting. Nope....

The Mexican restaurant has a couple of Sam Adams products on tap as well as Wachusett IPA. I'll be having those from now on and not stray back to this one.

2.09/5  rDev -32.4%

Poured this into a pint glass from the bottle it came in. Appearance is a pleasant brown color that makes you excited to try to beer. Nice head that takes a while to calm, but which leaves a decent lace. Smell is rather bitter and smells a bit sour. The taste is not what I was hoping for. Very bitter, almost metallic taste. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. I could see myself drinking this beer again but not as a result of my own beer run. Still, it's worth a try, aren't all beers?

2.1/5  rDev -32%

Had this beer on tap for $3, was a pint special, though I definitely wouldn't consider this beer anything special.

App. - Reddish-Copper color with a one finger head that didn't last too long. Had decent lacing down the sides of the glass however.

Smell - Had an earthy aroma and a slight butterscotch smell.

Taste - Nothing special, tasted like a typical Mexican beer, I couldn't pick out any real flavors. I did find that it had a little bit of bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel + Drinkability - A very smooth beer, very easy to drink these one after another, however I don't know who would actually want to do that.

2.11/5  rDev -31.7%

A: Pours an amber red with small head that disappears immediately.
S: Malt adjuncts (mostly corn) and a white wine-esque scent.
T: Very malty, sweet corn flavors, finishes clean. Not at all complex.
M: Waterlike, low carbonation, not very pleasant.
D: I didn't buy this so I'm not pissed about wasting money, but I would never buy this. The only plus about it is you can drink a bit of it, but whats that worth in the end?

2.11/5  rDev -31.7%

Served on-tap at a Mexican restaurant. Appeared to be one of the best selections of an otherwise weak list.

Served in a pint glass. Clear, light amber body with only a thin film of head at the top. No retention or lacing.

I get very little in the aroma. Some slight maltiness, but not much else.

Not a very good flavor to enjoy. Bland malitness with a possible hint of hops. I don't think the keg was old because this is a respectable restaurant and did not have many taps. Just a very bland flavor, barely measuring up to macro lagers.

Will not have again.

2.13/5  rDev -31.1%

I picked this up in a 12oz bottle. No freshness date to be found (supspicion might have had a bad bottle). Pours a brown copper color with little to no head, lacing was minimal with each gulp. Smell was fainly of malt with an alcohol twist. Grain bringing up rear. Taste was very skunk and to bitter, not a good balance of hops and malts at all. Very dry amber and flat. Light bodies amber for sure. I would never drink this again, even though I think I might have had a an over dated beer. Pass on this amber, better ambers out there.

2.13/5  rDev -31.1%

A: Pretty bright red amber, very clear. Just a little head that recedes quickly. Doesn't look very carbonated.

S: Crisp clear malts. A little caramel.

T: A lot of sweet tangy malts. A little skunky from the bottle, which is disappointing since I know it tastes much better on tap.

M: Light, very little carbonation. Kind of makes it seem watery.

O: Fantastic amber when you're eating Mexican food and you're at a good restaurant that has it fresh on tap, but it's not nearly as good from a bottle, it seems.

2.15/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Straw colored; pours out into a white frothy head that quickly dissipates into minimal lacing. Slight malty smell with hints of bubble gum and salt water taffy. A little malty in the front with a slight hop finish. Light to medium body. I like to drink this with Mexican cuisine; barely touch this otherwise.

2.16/5  rDev -30.1%

It really is a nice amber color in the bottle. That's about where the good comments end. Has a very harsh taste; I guess that's the corn or rice or whatever. Little tinge of alcohol which makes it slightly more palatable, but I'd only drink this from a pitcher at a Mexican restaurant in the future. 20% less harsh with the addition of that forbidden fruit, the lemon. Best thing I can say: at least it's not MGD.

2.16/5  rDev -30.1%

Also tried this beer last night.. it was better than the Kirin, but not by much. Had a slightly sweet smell, and I tasted a sugary, almost caramel flavor right away. A few people I was with had it with a lime wedge. After a few more sips, the flavor lessened, but the carbonation remained high throughout the whole bottle. Better than a Corona if you have the choice, but I still think there are plenty more options available that are much better.

2.16/5  rDev -30.1%

On tap at the Las Vegas airport, drinkable only because it isn't the standard American swill that's the only other choice.

Aroma - light malt, hint of band-aid and DMS (canned vegetable), no hop presence. Appearance - medium copper, good clarity, fast-dissipating white head. Flavor - light malt with distinct essence of plastic and canned vegetable ( DMS), no hop presence. Mouthfeel - light, some diacetyl present. Overall impression - I only drank it because I'm at the airport.

In general, not worth it.

2.17/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours out a dark amber with a small white head

Smell. I do get some cooked vegetable aromas with a macro lager adjunct aroma. As it warms up, I get a little bit of a sweet smell, but it is more of a tea aroma.

Taste. Initially I get a cooked vegetable taste, not that good. Taste is a little puckering.

Mouthfeel is under par. Carbonation is decent, but the balance is off and thin.

Overall, it is better than macro lagers, but it is a bad Vienna lager. Nothing in the beer to make it a beer worth seeking

2.18/5  rDev -29.4%

Since we live so close to Mexico now, we should get used to drinking this beer. But to be honest, I haven't had one since we moved. I have had Pacifico, but not this. I didn't realize this beer had been around for so long. 1900 was a LONG time ago. I wonder how many times, over the years, they have changed the recipe. At any rate, they have an awesome marketing campaign. Regardless of how this beer tastes, stay thirsty, my friends. (See what I did there?) I guess the marketing works! Let's see what this beer tastes like.

In the Glass: It is darker than I remember. I say that… and I am not sure I remember ever drinking this from a glass. Surely I have. I think, in restaurants, they serve this with a lime wedge on the side of the glass. When I order this in bottles, I always ask for a lime wedge. Not sure why… but it makes the Mexican beer experience seem authentic. It is a clean, amber color and I can pretty much see right through the beer.

Nose: I am not expecting much from this beer, but the aroma did surprise me. It is semi-sweet and somewhat dry. This is a beer, unlike most that we drink, that should be drank ice cold. Beers that are meant to be drunk cold are usually trying to hide something in the flavor profile. That is what we have here.

Flavor: Not much there. This is an easy drinking, chugging kind of beer. This is the Bud Light of Mexico. Granted, it's better than Bud Light. But it has all the right characteristics of a crappy, domestic beer. The beer also has a very low ABV, and while I am not sure what the ABV is of their lager (green bottle), you do get a bit more maltiness from the amber.

Mouthfeel: Boring. Not much more to say. There is nothing from front to back. This is the kind of beer you buy a case of, chug, and wake up wondering how you polished off so many beers the night before. The mouthfeel is boring, there are no bubbles, and zero complexity with this beer.

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste here. What is there is dry, and malty. But after a few swallows, you might even forget that you are drinking a beer in the first place. I don't want to sound like I am picking on this beer. I will order it from time to time when I am eating Mexican food. But this isn't a top shelf kind of beer, and isn't one that I am going to try to find on purpose.

This beer serves as an easy drinking, boring, "domestic" beer to our friends south of the border. It's low ABV allows us to chug bottle after bottle, and the history behind the brewery is at least a topic of conversation. The beer has been brewed for a LONG time, so if nothing else, you have that. I still wonder how many times the recipe has changed over the years. Anyway, glad we tried it, but it's nothing to write home about. Oh yeah, and stay thirsty, my friends!

Dos Equis (XX) Amber - The bottle says: "Crafted in Mexico since 1897 to commemorate the arrival of the 20th century.

"Dos Equis was crafted in Mexico in 1897 by a German brew master, who deluded his brewing heritage with the spirit of Mexican traditions. Originally called Siglo XX to celebrate the arrival of the 20th century it later became known as just Dos Equis (or simple, two Xs in Spanish.) Dos Equis Amber is a full flavored, yet surprisingly smooth amber-colored lager from Mexio that is easy to drink with a clean finish."

2.19/5  rDev -29.1%

12 oz bottle into a mug. Pours a fairly nice amber color, with a small white head that dissolves quick. Smell is grainy and sweet, but very mild, and definitely nothing good (a little metal tossed in there for fun, even coming from a bottle). Flavor is likewise shitty, all crap sweetness, mostly grain, straight-forward. Taste is pretty thin, with high carbonation. The beer is bad, plain and simple. It's a macro-lager that tastes like a macro-lager, but that color is trickily attractive, so the crap taste is all the crap-per when it hits your sad, slowly grimacing lips. It's still better than pretty much every American macro, but I guess I just had expectations that were a little too high. In any case, it sucks.

2.19/5  rDev -29.1%

12 oz bottle.

Clear amber color..surprisingly unwavering eggshell head.
Musty pale toffee malt aroma.. the lackluster generic malt flavor didn't do too much for me either.
They call this "full-bodied" on the label..is that a joke? My favorite local Mexican restaurant has anything from flavorful local witbeirs like John's White Ale to St. Bernardus 12 on-draft, so I'd be hard-pressed to find myself ever drinking this there. Flavorful than most macros, but still misses the mark.

2.21/5  rDev -28.5%

Amber red with a thin head. Passable lacing to start the glass.

Nose is malty with a hint of sweet fruit. Quite mild.

Thin and sweet in taste, precious little there. Not much mouth presence except for some bite from the carbonation.

Except for looking reasonably good, this beer doesn't seem to put forward much of an effort. Inoffensive, but uninspiring. Good to wash down a sandwich with.

2.22/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

been wanting to try this for a long time, a friend of mine loves the standard Dos Equis , but when I asked him if he had tried the amber he said he didn't like it .

well I just thought that he couldn't handle the flavor given that he mostly likes thin beers like standard Dos Equis ,Heineken ,standard becks, and becks sapphire (which is the most tasteless beer i have tasted , least offensive but flavorless... oh well this is about Dos Equis not my friend's preferences ,

the A) thin , red , like a red dos equis , or coors , basically lite and bubbly, accept coors has a head , this beer had no head whats so ever , very odd , even busch or budweiser pours to a head.

S) not much slighty malty but i didnt pick much up

T) to me almost slightly like cherry's , very thin and the abv is only 4.6 %
refreshing but no very refreshing . i wasn't impressed there just isn't a lot going on here ,

m) mixed bag it tastes vaguely og cherry's but the mouth feel doesn't really even feel like an amber idk disappointed , no head , the beer lacks girth and just feels like your drinking a flat beer ...

overall: frankly in my video review I didn't know if i wanted a standard Dos equis or amber dos equis but really with the standard , its more refreshing and lite crisp and well you know what your getting your self into , that being said im not a big fan , $9.60 for a 6 pack full price at safeway ridiculous i got it for $7.40 and even at that i feel ripped off , acually my father picked this up for me so i feel bad for him buying this ...

this isn't undrinkable just way over priced , id rather drink coors , miller , hams ,rolling rock , at least those beers are cheaper and have a head to them have more of a girth to them

and at wal-mart you can buy killion's irish red for $5.77 haven't had it but how can it be any worse than this ?

all in all unless you must try don't bet on this beer its over priced thin and frankly disappointing...

2.22/5  rDev -28.2%

S-120z bottle into pint glass

A-golden brown with visible carbonation, looks great, one finger head quickly disappears, ok lacing

S-very little aroma, nothing comes to mind

T-rusty carbonation with metallic aftertaste

M-high carbonation and metal

O- very disappointed, haven't had one these in a few years and for some reason remembered it as tasting much better, will not buy again

2.23/5  rDev -27.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a brown color and a clear consistency. Not much head or lacing.

S: Faint aroma of malt and some grain, but little else.

T: Very thin and unimpressive taste. A little bit of malt, but mainly it tastes of water. Very underdone.

M: Not a lot of carbonation and a dry finish.

D: This is just another mass-produced beer with little to recommend it. There's little taste or character with this one.

2.23/5  rDev -27.8%

Had this at a local mexican restaurant. Had a nice amber color to it with small head that went away pretty quickly. Smelled of hops and malt, not much going on.

The taste did not match my expectations. It was very thin and watery, which made it easy to drink, but who'd want to? Tasted very sweet and citrusy. No crispness, no bite. Nothing much going on. Unpleasantly surprised.

Dos Equis Amber Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.