Dos Equis Amber Lager | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

good
Read the review
Dos Equis Amber LagerDos Equis Amber Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
cuamoc.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2001

3.1

Ratings: 2,919 |  Reviews: 758

2.75/5  rDev -11.3%

3.86/5  rDev +24.5%

Before I get into specifics, this beer is what I call a "home-field" beer. In other words, unless you drink it in Mexico, you really don't know how good it can be and have a legitimate level for comparison. I live within driving distance of Mexico, so I have had this beer on both sides of the frontera many times and it is demonstrably better (especially the green label) south of the border.

Just for info, I will never buy the green label on this side of the border due to the skunky condition that I have found it in far too many times. The Ambar doesn't seem to be affected by the importation anywhere near as often.

I find the appearance to be that of a classic lager, foamy and clear with steady bubbles upon opening. The usual opening smell is a signal of the smoothness of the upcoming taste: Not too strong, yet when the bottle is a fresh one, the odor has hints of alcoholic content. When the beer has the bottle-cappy smell right after popping the top, I advise to prepare for the first few drinks to be a rough experience. If fresh, it has a just-short-of-sharp first taste with light carbonation and a slight aftertaste that only lasts a second or two. I find Dos Equis Ambar to be refreshing and very good with food

Overall, I rate the beer higher than average and with the disclaimer that it has been one of my favorites for years now. Again, I will say that without exception, it is vastly better south of the border due to the obvious freshness of being a home-field beer.

3.71/5  rDev +19.7%

I've decided to change my review approach - and I get to do it with Dos XX Amber Lager - a surprisingly good beer.

Beautiful dark caramel to burnt-Orange color that builds a short lightly tanned head with little staying power. Interestingly though, the beer had good lacing down the glass. Not much but your normal scents of malts and barley, but it had a bold taste. I could distinctly tell coriander, cinnamon, and a citrus - most probably lemon - it all mixed with each other good, refreshing. Overall, it was a good beer except for it's lack of olfactory presence. I'm glad I had stayed thirst my friends, glad indeed.

If you're gonna drink, please, don't drive. And if you drive, for cryin' out loud, do us all a favor and don't drink...stay safe...

3.75/5  rDev +21%

2.75/5  rDev -11.3%

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

Dos Equis Amber Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.