Dos Equis Amber Lager | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

good
Read the review
Dos Equis Amber LagerDos Equis Amber Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
cuamoc.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2001

Reviews: 743 | Ratings: 2,849
3.32/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Mariachi's in Albany, NY. Might as well try this one since I'm at a Mexican restaurant. When in Rome?

This is the better of the two Dos Equis lagers I know about (the "Special lager" being the other one) but is still pretty weak. I can imagine this wouldn't be that enjoyable without great Mexican food stacked up against it.

Pours a clear amber color, with a half inch head, visible carbonation, and not a whole lot of lacing.

This was poured ice cold, so only a little bit of caramelly type flavor is present, it's mostly just a straight up carbonated classic "beer" flavor, which is fine, I don't think this'll be great after it warms up. Gets a little grainy and astringent as it warms.

Medium bodied, slightly thin, it is however very crisp.

It is what it is. Decent when paired with food, but not great on its own. I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's probably not going to be Dos Equis.

3.35/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass. Body is coppery-amber with a smallish (half-finger) ecru-colored head on top. Some splotchy lace.

S: Caramel malt and cereal grains. Slightly minerally.

T: Inoffensive, though somewhat bland and a little bit too sweet. Modest toasted bread and some generic sweetness makes me wonder if corn is employed as an adjunct here. Slight minerally bitterness at the finish, but it doesn't cut through the overwhelming impression of sweetness.

M: Light in heft, carbonation is a bit too subdued, giving this a slightly oily feel.

O: This is decent for what it is. When you're at a Mexican restaurant eating spicy food, you could do far worse than to order this beer. I think it would do better with food than when drank on its own, as I'm doing now.

3.83/5  rDev +23.9%

Great Session beer. Very smooth with a really good taste. Could drink like 7 of these in 1 session. very easy to drink beer and very tasty. Overall pretty good beer and I really enjoyed it. Bottle is better then Draft. I was very impressed about how great it went down and like it a great deal more than the regular Dos Equis

3.53/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I like this beer. It is a simple beer that does not pretend to be overly fruity or hoppy. It is a great session beer and pairs well with the mexican fare often associated with it. If you are not a lager fan, perhaps you should venture on. There is a definite carmel taste and is not overwhelming but definite. The mouth feel for what that matters is a light richness. The finish is easy and not harsh. Lacing is qite apparent at least when drinking draft. Those that do not like the cane molasses dark flavor may not care for this product. With my kegerator getting tapped with this 1/2bbl on a few occasions. The guests quite enjoyed each time. Definitely a crowd pleaser. I'll say to all bartenders to quit giving the lime as this does overpower and turns it to a shandier beer.. i like lime in my Titos not lager.

3.52/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear copper, amber, 1 finger of off white head that quickly dissipates.

S / T - not a big nose - mostly malt forward. Nice smooth malt on the palate, crisp and refreshing. This is a highly drinkable mexican lager. Light bodied - highly sessionable.

O - Solid brew to have on a hot summer day with a slice of lime. This is one of my go to session brews in the summer.

2.15/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Straw colored; pours out into a white frothy head that quickly dissipates into minimal lacing. Slight malty smell with hints of bubble gum and salt water taffy. A little malty in the front with a slight hop finish. Light to medium body. I like to drink this with Mexican cuisine; barely touch this otherwise.

3.65/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance:
Deep amber color, clear. Lots of small bubble rising up. Frothy, eggshell color head.

Aroma:
Malty, toasted, sweet, crisp, clean.

Taste:
Sweetness, toasted malts, grainy, just a touch of corn. Hop bitterness is light, leafy-herbal. Finish is crisp, clean, dry. Body is light, crisp, clean, refreshing, dry.

Overall:
It's a good beer.

3.86/5  rDev +24.9%

Before I get into specifics, this beer is what I call a "home-field" beer. In other words, unless you drink it in Mexico, you really don't know how good it can be and have a legitimate level for comparison. I live within driving distance of Mexico, so I have had this beer on both sides of the frontera many times and it is demonstrably better (especially the green label) south of the border.

Just for info, I will never buy the green label on this side of the border due to the skunky condition that I have found it in far too many times. The Ambar doesn't seem to be affected by the importation anywhere near as often.

I find the appearance to be that of a classic lager, foamy and clear with steady bubbles upon opening. The usual opening smell is a signal of the smoothness of the upcoming taste: Not too strong, yet when the bottle is a fresh one, the odor has hints of alcoholic content. When the beer has the bottle-cappy smell right after popping the top, I advise to prepare for the first few drinks to be a rough experience. If fresh, it has a just-short-of-sharp first taste with light carbonation and a slight aftertaste that only lasts a second or two. I find Dos Equis Ambar to be refreshing and very good with food

Overall, I rate the beer higher than average and with the disclaimer that it has been one of my favorites for years now. Again, I will say that without exception, it is vastly better south of the border due to the obvious freshness of being a home-field beer.

3.71/5  rDev +20.1%

I've decided to change my review approach - and I get to do it with Dos XX Amber Lager - a surprisingly good beer.

Beautiful dark caramel to burnt-Orange color that builds a short lightly tanned head with little staying power. Interestingly though, the beer had good lacing down the glass. Not much but your normal scents of malts and barley, but it had a bold taste. I could distinctly tell coriander, cinnamon, and a citrus - most probably lemon - it all mixed with each other good, refreshing. Overall, it was a good beer except for it's lack of olfactory presence. I'm glad I had stayed thirst my friends, glad indeed.

If you're gonna drink, please, don't drive. And if you drive, for cryin' out loud, do us all a favor and don't drink...stay safe...

3.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A moderate-aggressive pour from a long neck into an 8 ounce sampler produces hardly any head at all, which disappears entirely almost immediately. The color is a pale copper. I smell a nice light malt flavor with hardly a whiff of hops. The taste is light, yet pretty malty and sweet, with just a kiss of hops. Nice sweet, malty aftertaste as well, with minimum bitterness. The mouthfeel is fairly creamy, despite the light body and general lack of head and/or carbonation.

I'm not sure that I've had another of this particular style, but I've been drinking these occasionally for a long time. They definitely go good with Mexican cuisine, and also make a good session brew.

3.5/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Serving: pint glass from bottle

A: Amber like the name. Not a lot of head

S: Pretty weak. Little bit of Malt and caramel maybe

T: Sweet caramel, with not a lot of after taste

M: Pretty good carbonation

Overall: I like the sweet taste in the beginning but the after taste was kind of weak with the smell.

2.83/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Had a bottle of this with some Mexican food at Chevy's.

The beer is clear and amber with a small white head. Weak aroma. What's there is adjuncts, grain, lager type scents. Pretty clean flavor initially with a bit of corn and grain harshness in the finish. When paired with saucy and spicy food, this flaw is disguised to some degree. A tad sweet with some fruity malt. OK.

2.75/5  rDev -11%

Reviewed: 14 October 2013...
Glassware: Warsteiner pokal...
Occasion: first full week of school, completed....
Appearance: amber indeed, with a small but noteable white head; uneven tracing as the glass drains...
Aroma: roasted malts--not the kind that awaken nostrils--are teemed with some Saaz hops and oats--a Vienna lager, basically...
Palate: medium-bodied, relatively smooth start and finish; drinkable and pairs well with late-night snacks...
Taste: a back-end maltiness lingers, but otherwise, a swift taste-and-go kind of beer...
Overall: a bit nutty and adds to its complexity as the drink finishes; not the mouth rinse its XX brother is but not much else going on beyond its extended body...

2.34/5  rDev -24.3%

From notes:
Had this beer in Mexico, where the bottle label spells it Ambar.
Pours a brown light body with a light fizzy head that last 10 seconds before dissipating.
Smell has a medium level aroma of roasted malts but no hop aroma to speak of.
Tastes like your average adjunct lager
Does not resemble and amber in taste, maybe in Mexico it has a different definition, but yea it tastes more like your bud light or miller, or I guess the regular version of dos Equis. Might as well be brown food coloring that gave its amber color.
Average mouthfeel.
Overall if I had a regular dos Equis available to taste along with it, I'm sure they would be different but this one just has that light beer flavor with maybe a little bit extra.

3.27/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I always drink this beer with Mexican food. It's my Mexican lager of choice. And oddly for a vienna lager, I always add a lime wedge and drink from the bottle Corona style.

I just think this beer pairs perfectly with spicy mexican. The spicier the better.

By itself, it's an average beer. In the Vienna Lager style, I much prefer the Menabria 150°.

But I'll continue to order this with Mexican when it's available.

2.94/5  rDev -4.9%

Light amber hue topped by a frothy thick head with tremendous lacing. Loads of carbonation rises to the top.

Virtually no scent at all there's a hint of tinny malts.

Light sweet malt flavor with a touch of airy, bready, dryness. The carbonation adds to an easy, crisp feel but detracts from any real taste experience.

2.95/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A- Pours a rusty brown color. Clarity is high. Small head that quickly reduces to a thin lace on the top of the beer. Highly effervescent with lots of bubbles rising and not much lacing.

S- Not a lot here. Mostly some light grain aromas and hints of malt. Slightly sweet caramel malt is present, but difficult to find. Not impressed here.

T- Light grains just like the scent are prominent. More malt than in the aroma, but still not much for the color of the beer. Slight metallic flavor is also present. At the end there is a hint of hops bitterness bite.

M- Light, highly carbonated, and easy to drink. Pretty thin. Pretty plain here.

Overall, this is better than the other Mexican beer options, but still not great. If it's your only choice at a Mexican restaurant go for it.

3.85/5  rDev +24.6%

Dos Equis Amber,
The taste is of a traditional lager though with a little more character. The color is a very pleasant clear amber. The beer pours with a small head that does not last long.
I highly recommend drinking the Amber on tap. It sells well at Mexican restaurants in the Greensboro, North Carolina area hence it always has a very fresh taste. I like a lime in my Dos Equis Amber but try it with and without and make your own decision.
It retains its fresh taste all the way to the end of a 34ounce glass. I have been drinking this beer reqularly for many years and have only been a little disappointed when consumed from a bottle. I have never been disappointed when served on tap. It goes well with any food and is a four season beer, as good when its cold outside as it is on a hot sunny day.
I am rating it as high as I am because for some reason I never tire of asking for a DEA and I can't wait to have a frosted mug of it placed in front of me with chips and salsa.

2.91/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Pretty clear amber with ample carbonation. Foamy head that surprisingly leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Apple juice? Light malt. Not much going on with the bouquet....

T: Light malt. Corn, apple, floral hops. Very light tasting.

M: Thin body. Goes down smoothly with a little tickle from the carbonation.

O: Better than I was expecting. Light and easy. Perfect for a summer day.

2.96/5  rDev -4.2%

Had a few bottles of this watching football at a friends this weekend. Its an easy drinker, slightly sweeter than I'd like, but its got more taste in the malty range than the domestic "chuggers". Decent aftertaste too. When in the land of Mexican macro-brews, this is my go-to. I've not had it with a lime that I can recall, but that might give it a nice acidic balance. ( I prefer Negro Modelo to be served with one. ) Also, I agree with others that this is best when Ice cold. Gets skunky when it warms.

2.96/5  rDev -4.2%

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Like the name of the beer is amber, extrmely transparent light to almost no bubbles on the body. White head maybe a finger's length, sticky to the side of the glass as I take sips.

Smell: Light hop scent, not much else considering how light it does smell.

Taste: Light hop taste, has a toasty bread feel to it that makes it real easy to drink.

Mouth:Medium carbonation, but the after taste is awesome. Still a little bitter but smooth.

Overall: Not bad at all, I had this a few years ago and picked up on a variety pack and absolutely no regrets, doesn't hurt to have a "light" beer every now and then. Salud!

2.18/5  rDev -29.4%

Since we live so close to Mexico now, we should get used to drinking this beer. But to be honest, I haven't had one since we moved. I have had Pacifico, but not this. I didn't realize this beer had been around for so long. 1900 was a LONG time ago. I wonder how many times, over the years, they have changed the recipe. At any rate, they have an awesome marketing campaign. Regardless of how this beer tastes, stay thirsty, my friends. (See what I did there?) I guess the marketing works! Let's see what this beer tastes like.

In the Glass: It is darker than I remember. I say that… and I am not sure I remember ever drinking this from a glass. Surely I have. I think, in restaurants, they serve this with a lime wedge on the side of the glass. When I order this in bottles, I always ask for a lime wedge. Not sure why… but it makes the Mexican beer experience seem authentic. It is a clean, amber color and I can pretty much see right through the beer.

Nose: I am not expecting much from this beer, but the aroma did surprise me. It is semi-sweet and somewhat dry. This is a beer, unlike most that we drink, that should be drank ice cold. Beers that are meant to be drunk cold are usually trying to hide something in the flavor profile. That is what we have here.

Flavor: Not much there. This is an easy drinking, chugging kind of beer. This is the Bud Light of Mexico. Granted, it's better than Bud Light. But it has all the right characteristics of a crappy, domestic beer. The beer also has a very low ABV, and while I am not sure what the ABV is of their lager (green bottle), you do get a bit more maltiness from the amber.

Mouthfeel: Boring. Not much more to say. There is nothing from front to back. This is the kind of beer you buy a case of, chug, and wake up wondering how you polished off so many beers the night before. The mouthfeel is boring, there are no bubbles, and zero complexity with this beer.

Aftertaste: There isn't much of an aftertaste here. What is there is dry, and malty. But after a few swallows, you might even forget that you are drinking a beer in the first place. I don't want to sound like I am picking on this beer. I will order it from time to time when I am eating Mexican food. But this isn't a top shelf kind of beer, and isn't one that I am going to try to find on purpose.

This beer serves as an easy drinking, boring, "domestic" beer to our friends south of the border. It's low ABV allows us to chug bottle after bottle, and the history behind the brewery is at least a topic of conversation. The beer has been brewed for a LONG time, so if nothing else, you have that. I still wonder how many times the recipe has changed over the years. Anyway, glad we tried it, but it's nothing to write home about. Oh yeah, and stay thirsty, my friends!

Dos Equis (XX) Amber - The bottle says: "Crafted in Mexico since 1897 to commemorate the arrival of the 20th century.

"Dos Equis was crafted in Mexico in 1897 by a German brew master, who deluded his brewing heritage with the spirit of Mexican traditions. Originally called Siglo XX to celebrate the arrival of the 20th century it later became known as just Dos Equis (or simple, two Xs in Spanish.) Dos Equis Amber is a full flavored, yet surprisingly smooth amber-colored lager from Mexio that is easy to drink with a clean finish."

2.97/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Caramel in color. very small head which disappears instantly. Very lite lacing down the sides.

S - Roasted malts, grain

T - Crisp, with enough malt to know it's there

M - smooth and light. easy drinking

Overall - not a bad beer at all. good for hot days when you wanna drink a six pack.

3.31/5  rDev +7.1%

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, light brown amber colored with a large yellow white head that dissipates quickly leaving some lacing, clear

S: grain, corn, cereal, slight metallic

T: sweeter up front, mostly grain flavors, biscuit, toast, clean finish

M: thinner but refreshing

O: one of the better Mexican beers, I sometimes enjoy with salt and lime

3.45/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: reasonable macro label, decent brown 330mL bottle. Nice.

Appearance: deep amber, funnily enough. 1.5-centimetre decent head. Good retention with some lacing.

Aroma: reasonably thick - some breads and caramel. A touch of citrus too.

Taste: again breads and caramels, they work nicely together. There are other standard lager grains also.

Aftertaste: a touch of citrus hop bitterness, but otherwise disippates rapidly.

Mouth feel: medium- to- high carbonation. A light body doesn't carry the flavours as well as it could be. A medium thickness could bring the hops through better.

Overall: A good quality, easy-drinking amber that went very, very well alongside the steak at the Spanish Club. A good beer for AU$43 a case. Definitely a goer.

Dos Equis Amber Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.