Dos Equis Special Lager
Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager
Score:
Ranked #50,408
2.74 | pDev: 23.36%
From:
Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Mexico
Avail:
Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Poor
Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager
Notes: An authentic Mexican cerveza brewed in the style of Pilsner Lagers with a nuanced blend of malts, spices and earth tones. Ingredients: Water, Malted barley, Corn starch / syrup, Hops, Ascorbic Acid.
View: Beers
Reviews: 670 | Ratings: 2,936 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Squire:
Squire from Mississippi

3.43/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another garden variety AAL carrying an import price tag. Yawn.

The best thing I can say about this one is it washes down food well. Our local has the 4 pack 16 oz cans for $3.59 and that avoids light struck examples, but even in best condition it's nothing to get excited about. Light color and flavor, little hops or malt, not really an improvement over Bud Light.

Buy it if you're making tacos and want to keep a theme going.

Apr 12, 2016
illpass78 from Maine

3.85/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pint on draft at El Rayo in Scarborough, Maine. Served with a lime. Review reflects presence of said lime.

Appearance: Crystal clear straw with a thin white head that is gone swiftly.

Aroma: Almost nothing. Crisp. Smells like water, if water had a smell.

Taste: Tastes like cold. Maybe a tiny hint of cereal grain. Dominant note was lime because, as stated, there was a lime.

Mouthfeel: As water.

Overall: There are beers in the world that are meant to be fussed over, and it's right and good to consider the hop profile, the grain bill and the intentions of the brewer in crafting the brew. This is not one of those beers. This is a beer to drink ice cold, with burritos, outside on a hot day. If that sounds unappealing to you, you may need to lighten up a bit. Some beers have single uses (such as plowing with burritos), and they hit that single-use target perfectly. I consider DX a bullseye on that level.

Aug 08, 2016
JordanHageman from Missouri

3.29/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Not horrible. But it's a refreshing easy going beer.

Mar 14, 2015
OldSchoolMike from North Carolina

3.9/5  rDev +42.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Actually one of my favorite Mexican beers. ALWAYS BUY GREEN AND CLEAR BOTTLE BEER IN THE CANS, though (forgive the shouting) if you want a good one. Nice clean taste.

Dec 13, 2017
Billydoughnuts from Michigan

2.79/5  rDev +1.8%

I can get this in a 32 oz frosty mug at the local Mexican joint and it goes damn good with fajitas. I believe every beer has a place and time, even Bud Light

Feb 04, 2016
Beeeeeerman from California

2.5/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Apr 15, 2015
gildo9 from Florida

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

NOT TERRIBLE , EASY DRINKING SESSION BEER IF YOUR NOT CONCERNED ABOUT FLAVOR

Apr 15, 2015
AndyEdgar from Illinois

Just Mexican Budweiser. Bad beer and slam a lime in it to make it go down

Mar 05, 2015
TommyK154 from New York

3.3/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

It has a slight distinct taste from other macro lagers out there. Overall, for what it is, it's pretty good. Doesn't taste or smell skunky like other macros out there. Maybe not the best macro lager but not bad either. Taste is good, but mouth feel could be better. Overall worth a try if you're into macro lagers

Apr 24, 2015
Kelby777 from Iowa

1.5/5  rDev -45.3%

Very disappointing. And not very special to me...

Appearance - Slightly carbonated, no head whatsoever. Slight amber color. Nothing especial about the looks.

Smell - Smells like a fart that was left in a chair with a slight note of citrus.

Taste - Tastes gross. I was expecting something more "Especial." The taste is muted and very underwhelming. It tastes like someone brewed incredibly bland beer and mixed it with apple juice.

Mouthfeel - Very watery.

Overall - Very, very disappointing. Would not buy it again.

Nov 17, 2017
pat61 from Minnesota

L: brilliant straw gold with rapidly rising bubbles and a 3" white foam collar with fair to good retention

S: mild aroma of flowers, hop earthiness, light fruit, light corn, light cracker and bread dough

T: light corn sweetness, faint apple, light cracker and bread dough finished with a slight tartness and a mild bitterness

F: moderately creamy with a medium light body, medium high carbonation and a crisp finish

O: You are drinking this because you are in a Mexican restaurant and this is the only beer on the menu you recognize. You are not drinking this for its quality.

Aug 06, 2017
RoyalT from Ohio

2.73/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearance – Clear yellow body with a small up and down head.

Smell – Light grain aroma but not much else.

Taste – There’s actually some hops in there to balance out the malt and (mostly) grain flavors. No beginning, middle, and finish here – just the one hit of taste then you’re done.

Mouthfeel – Nicely carbonated and fairly smooth.

Drinkability – It’s made to drink ice cold in the heat with a lime, so drink it ice cold in the heat with a lime.

Aug 18, 2003
joe12pk from Michigan

3.67/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Next time I'll try it with a lime!

Apr 11, 2015
BeerBobber from Nevada

4.04/5  rDev +47.4%

Aggressive pour from a 12 oz. can got me 1 finger of white soapy head topping a clear golden beer with lots of streaming bubbles.

Smell is fairly plain barley and malts with that white bread smell in it. No skunk smell so perhaps the can protects this beer better than the bottle.

Taste is like clear water with some barley and malts with a bit of hops somewhere in there. Very clean taste and refreshing when served cold.

Mouth feel is very wet and watery with a nice easy finish on the backside.

So far this would have to be my favorite beer from south of the border. I always liked Tecate but it does have kind of an odd paper like taste as it finishes. I do not get that with this beer. I also see in some reviews the skunk thing happening. Maybe cans are the way to go to protect the beer better. With a low ABV, and a refreshing taste when served up cold, I can see me popping several of these sitting poolside this summer when it gets up to 115 degrees!

Mar 19, 2016
WestmontStorm from Illinois

2.6/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't hear too many positive reviews about Mexican beers, but I kinda like them. I can't imagine eating a nice Mexican dinner with a Heineken. Dos Equis is the perfect brew for that occasion. It's light and has just the right amount of that South O' the border maltiness. A twist of lime and you are set. Enjoy.

Dec 06, 2014
Rock_Glenn from New York

1.77/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I don't know why I thought this would be good. I usually enjoy Mexican beers, but dos equis is very plain, too much like an American big brew, thin bodied, and sour tasting.

Jun 07, 2016
Extol from Georgia

2.93/5  rDev +6.9%

Sweet corn sort of flavor. Not so bad. I'd get this over plenty of other things.

Apr 09, 2015
poisoneddwarf from Idaho

1.48/5  rDev -46%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

12 oz bottle. This is the best Mexican beer I’ve yet to rank on here. No skunk aroma like many of the cervezas from this country. Not bad flavor. Not all that great, but better than most of the beers from this country.

Jun 05, 2017
superspak from Ohio

3.53/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle into lager glass, bottled on 6/16/2017. Pours fairly crystal clear pale golden yellow color with a 1 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of cracker, corn, white bread dough, light pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of pale malt, corn, and light earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of cracker, corn, white bread dough, light pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Very mild herbal/grassy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, corn, white bread dough, light pepper, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Nice balance and solid robustness of pale malt, corn, and light earthy hop flavors; with a good malt/bitterness balance, and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Moderately crisp/clean finishing, minimal dryness. Medium carnation and light body; with a very smooth and fairly creamy/doughy/grainy mouthfeel that is good. A bit watery feeling, but not bad. Perfectly clean on lager flavors, with zero yeast notes present. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 4.2%. Overall this is a good Adjunct lager style. All around good balance and solid robustness of pale malt and light earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink. Nicely flavorful for the low ABV. Clean pils malt/corn flavors, with just enough balancing hop presence. A nicely enjoyable, well made offering; and good style example.

Nov 18, 2017
CJNAPS from California

They should just make the Amber and call it a day.

Jan 28, 2015
VoxRationis from New York

3.74/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Decanted from a green bottle into a conical pint glass.
A: Pours a dark straw to brass color, not golden. Exuberant head, >one inch, short-lived and with little lacing.
S: Grainy to fresh bread aroma with what I felt to be an apricot/peach note.
T: Sweet lead with light malt predominating grassy and spicy flavors. Very lightly bittered with a sugary aftertaste.
M: Light bodied; effervescence a bit short-lived.
O: Typically, this brew is a bit skunked. I got a relatively fresh or well-managed batch and was surprised that I was genuinely able to enjoy it without adulteration. If you got it, and it's not 100%, a line wedge really does help (didn't need it this time).

Aug 05, 2017
Premo88 from Texas

3.58/5  rDev +30.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into pilsener
(best-by April 2018)

L: clear pale yellow, hard pour pushes up huge head, almost 2 inches tall and sticky ... the lacing off the head is pure art; laces on the way down off a full collar and skin

S: dusty yeast, grain, sour grain, lemon peel

T: fruity sweet, peach, grain, slight bit of lemon; the malt sweetness almost reaches breadiness; can taste just a bit watered at down at times, flavors all very light

F: classic light and crisp combo with loads of carbonation left over after the hard pour; holds up to large quaffing really well, doesn't taste too medicinal

O: surprising amount of barley malt presence and at times very tasty; flavors can sort of dial themselves in and out, and when they're out it's no better than average ... when those flavors hit right, though, it's super tasty

Jul 14, 2017
madrambeer from Texas

If I could have gone lower I would have, taste like goat piss

Mar 22, 2015
ptykozoon from California

1.29/5  rDev -52.9%

"Gringo!" he barked. "Go take your fancy princess beer and shove it up your burro!" His shrieks echoed in the dry heat, the heat was instigating him, rivers of sweat ran down his leathery face like veins. He was a man at the constant point of no return, one of us was going to burn. As he started walking towards me I found that I could not move, the smell of his sweat arrived a few yards before he did and I found myself paralyzed by this animal of a man, now just inches away. A primal beast that didn't care about anything but proving his dominance over others.

I felt the fear swelling up in my stomach, finding myself more and more hopeless with each stilted breath I took in. I decided then and there, to my own surprise that I wasn't going to cower down in fear, I clenched every muscle in my body, looked him in the eye and almost shouted "Listen buddy I am drinking a La Fin Du Monde, its ABV is 10% alright, that's more than most bee..." He cut me off with furious throaty laughter, his head reeled back as he let out howls of insanity. "HAHAHA you fool..." he quickly slapped my glass to the floor, shattering it, all the time his eyes locked on mine, his smile now turning to an sinister grimace.

I stood there and felt myself getting sick, like the air I was breathing was toxic, I knew I had to get out of there, I felt my life was now in serious danger. So I did something wild, I punched him straight in the jaw as hard as I could and ran out of the bar at cheetah pace. My sprint was cut short when two grizzly looking men stopped me at the exit, they caught me and held me by the arms, slowly dragging me back to the bar. As my legs slid across the dirty floor I found myself screaming for help, but my yells fell on deaf ears as all the patrons seemed to have left when this group had walked in - I should have noticed I thought, should have known.

I was a child at that point, so scared and helpless I felt like I was going to throw up. As they lifted me up back onto the bar stool, the apparent leader of the group, the one I had just so recently signed my death wish with only grinned at me, his gnarled yellow teeth clenched like a madmans. "Now chico, we are going to have fun. You are going to drink a mans beer, so pick up your pencil and notepad and write about...this shit." His friends laughed softly, knowingly, like I was about to experience a fiendish torture only left up to the imagination, I imagined it would be some sort of drug or poison, some kind of shady toxin that would have me curled up into a pool of blood before my ultimate demise. He marched to the bar, grabbed a bottle off the shelf and walked back towards me, I was seeing double at this point, half dazed at the thought of my life ending so oddly.

He set the bottle on the table and pulled the cap off with his bare wrists, when he did, he and his cronies flinched back a little, as if they feared even a drop of it would be spilled anywhere near them. Their eyes all locked on to the bottle with a sort of fearful concentration, as if it were a python waiting to pounce. As I shook the dizziness from my head I managed to focus in on the label. "Dos Equis". It must have been a joke I thought, I looked back at them but they didn't laugh, in fact I was absolutely sure that what I saw in their eyes was fear, a real instinctual fear that even these monsters were terrified by. "Now" he said slowly "Pick up the bottle, and drink it. Write down your review for us." I wasn't sure but I thought one of them made the sign of the cross as I poured the bottle into a glass.

Light yellow, head is fizzy and light and dissipates in seconds. As I stare into the yellowness I hear voices in my head, like shrieks of pain from ghosts telling me to turn back, turn back..

The smell makes me nauseous, it is an overly sweet skunky raunchy stench that overpowers all the hot sweat in the room and fills it with the scent of death, the bar now smells like an ancient crypt for skunks.

I lift the beer to my mouth and begin drinking, tears quickly form in my eyes. What is this? Why does this taste the way it does? Where is the goodness in life? The piss flavored grime contaminates my stomach with its cruel flavors. The liquid evil that I drink not only rapes my throat but my innocence, my faith in the world. This carbonated death was meant only to destroy, to defeat ones soul entirely.

The mouthfeel is light, strong carbonation.

I find myself alone. No where is there a trace of my captors or anyone else. I am a null in the void. Completely alone in the universe. There is no light in the darkness.....

Nov 26, 2012
Jrsmith82

4.15/5  rDev +51.5%

Great smooth Mexican beer. Perfect on a hot day refreshing.
Everything doesn't need to be a hipster craft beer to get a good rating

Apr 25, 2015
Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 64 out of 100 with 2936 ratings