Dos Equis Special Lager | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Read the review
Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Todd on 11-02-2001

Reviews: 591 | Ratings: 2,638
3.47/5  rDev +28%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one is runner-up to Bohemia for Mexican beers in my opinion. It's actually got a bit of hop flavor and lacks the sticky-sweetness of some other Mexican lagers. It goes well with the likes of carnitas and chile relleno.

3.47/5  rDev +28%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Do not know why this beer has sun low ratings. I don't think people realize it os not suppose to be a flavor monster. I love this beer when it is freeking got outside and I go in to one of my favorite restaurants and get a 24oz glass and it is freezing cold. It goes down super smooth, light hoppyness. Great beer if I'm looking for a light yet complex smooth flavor.

3.46/5  rDev +27.7%

When choosing a Mexican beer, this is the one to go to. The reason is probably only marketing purposed because of the "Most interesting man in the world" commercials. The beer itself tastes better than a Corona, so I enjoy a Dos Equis every now and then. Never have seen in on tap though...

3.46/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden, clear and with a fat white head of foam that fell fast to a thin layer of loose bubbles on top and a small ring. Nose is clean, thin malt with a hint of sweetness. Just a slight breath from the hops a very whisper of floral. No fruit. Taste is crisp , clean, dry and lightly sweet. The body is moderate, the carbonation is perfect. Bites a little but is not fizzy. No fruit flavors except for a hint of citrus at the very end of the swallow and a very slight touch of hop bitter that adds more to the mouthfeel than to the taste.

What I like about this beer is that it does not have that characteristic and ever intensifying AAL sweetness that lasts much too long into the after taste. Remarkably fresh, light, thin, balanced and delicious. I liked this beer more than I ever thought I would.

3.44/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Arived at the table in a large goblet ringed with salt and chili powder. Couldn't see thru the glass, it was a murky red color. Crap it is a michelada. That is right, took this average beer and had them dump clamato, hot sauce, and lime juice in it. Sorry but that is how I finish a night at a Mexican restaurant. I really don't need to give you a beer review, because I agree with most of the reviews below for this beer. It has a little personality, but it comes across really bad on it's own. Put it in a michelada or a beer rita and that personality adds to the game. Not a beer that I would normally drink on it's own, but it is good for the 2 applications above.

3.43/5  rDev +26.6%

Had a couple of these with dinner on this Cinco de Mayo '06. Haven't had Dos XX in a couple years, what the heck? From the 12oz. green bottle pours a light golden lager with a finger of white bubbly head. The carbonation is good, the head dies quickly, even so.

Light sweet malt with a mild hopness in the nose. Pretty much smells like your average Amercan macro, it didn't do much for this Barleywiner (me).

Yeah, a few sips...gee I haven't been missing much. Very typical, some what bland, macro lager flavor...until the meal came. Ahhh, with the crispy quesadilla, salsa, frejoles and such... this beer started to shine.

Light body, average mouthfeel, light to moderate ABV, you can drink this as you would water. With the meal, it made the beer more than enjoyable. I'll do it again sometime, although I do prefer Bohemia, but that will be a different review...

Cheers to Mexico !

3.42/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I had been curious about this particular beer for awhile, so I purchased a six pack of bottles at a local convenience store. Definitely not a great beer, but certainly not a bad one. The beer was a pale yellow with no real distinct odor that I was able to detect, although it had a slightly sweet smell to it. The taste was quite clean and rather on the light side. This is not the kind of beer that I would picture the most interesting man in the world drinking, but it would not be a bad beer served ice cold with some wings or good Mexican food.

3.42/5  rDev +26.2%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle stamped 1222484FE0156. It pours yellow to golden with a short lasting fizzy head, which is pretty typical for the style.

Although it came from a green bottle the aroma was thankfully not overly skunked but it did carry some distinct barley malt and grain characters with a whiff of clean hops on the backside.

The body is thin to medium, which is again very typical for the style.

The taste is quite grainy with a slight acidity and crisp hop ending. Here is a beer with a popular advertising campaign and it is a average to above average for the style.

3.42/5  rDev +26.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears pale/straw yellow with high carbonation. Thin head that dissipates quickly to a ring around the glass, no lacing. Smells of musty malt with corn & mixed vegetables. A sweet butterscotch, and touch of citrus as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of corny mixed vegetables, and a citrus note at the end. Musty malt with a touch of bitterness, and a sweet butterscotch flavor that comes out in the aroma as well. Not much change as it warms. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation, feels silky & smooth. Some crispness as well.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - This is highly drinkable ,one of the least corny tasting American Adjuncts that iv had. There's nothing offensive about it. I could easily drink it all night long. I think its a bit different from others, because of its butterscotch flavor/aroma, and its silky smooth mouthfeel. Very decent, I recommend you try it.

Another thing that's interesting about this beer is the fact that it comes in a green bottle, and there's no skunky aroma or flavor. Impressive!

3.41/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried the bottled version. I was very impressed. I really came to believe that all Mexican beers were as bad as the American. But it wasn't the case. This beer is above average, very smooth , very drinkable. Dos equis became one of my go to beers when watching a game.

3.41/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Pours a very clear straw color - head formation is quick but not well retained. only a light white film remains. Very filtered.

S - A very light scent of malt sweetness and some corn adjunct or DMS background. Little to no hops are detected.

T - Starts off with a rather empty flavor. Builds some bitter balance, almost with a dry taste. No hops are noticeable. The only direct flavor I get is in the aftertaste where some of the corn profile comes through.

M - Light in body - low in carbonation bite. Crisp and clean on the palette.

D - Easy drinking - you could nail a dozen of these at a mexican restaurant. abv is beyond manageable. Flavors don't wear, easy drinking. Not filling.

3.39/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a green longneck bottle into a sampler. A moderate pour brings about a very short-lived 1/2 inch bubbly white head. This reduces to little islets of foam in about a minute with very little if any lacing on the sides of the glass. The little islets hang around though. The beer is a pale golden with moderate carbonation.

I definitely get some skunk on the nose. The taste is also a bit skunky with a little bit of leafy hops and a distinct but very light malt sweetness. Very little bitterness is apparent, with not even much of an aftertaste on the burps. The mouthfeel is maybe a little thin but not unexpected for the style. It does have some decent carbonation despite the lack of head and stickiness

This is a very clean, light and refreshing brew that would go perfectly fine on a hot day and/or with Mexican cuisine. I know from experience that I tire of this kind of skunky Caribbean beer, but one or three are certainly fine. In other words, there's nothing too special here, but certainly not much to complain about either. I got this from the oddball rack at Albertson's and paid one dollar (no freshness date, but it doesn't taste stale).

I would love to know more about the story of the German expatriots in Mexico, and the invention of this beer to commemorate the arrival of the 20th century. I wonder what this beer tasted like in 1900?

I don't agree that this beer should be classified as AAL. I think the BA needs a new category, such as "Caribbean Lager".

3.36/5  rDev +24%

More or less a standard american lager, but it does actually have some body to it! I'd definitely put this above Miller or Bud! And it actually looks like beer when you pour it.

3.35/5  rDev +23.6%

Green 33cl bottle, 4.5% according to my bottle label, part of a 12 pack of three different beers from this brewery.

Poured into a Duvel glass, just to give it a chance.

Mid gold body, not as light as some lagers. not as dark as others. The head, which was white fell to a thin collar very, very swiftly, pity.

Odourless, gets my standard 3 for a pils/lager that often fail to attack my nose.

This review followed a Sol review, this beer is heads and shoulders above that beer in the taste stakes. This has a good, almost rich lager flavour, crisp, sharp and almost interesting.

I thought this an OK lager, some depth to its mouthfeel and one of the better beers to come out of Mexico (that get to the UK anyway).

3.35/5  rDev +23.6%

On a whim, I recently tried a bottle of Dos Equis with a meal. I've got to say, I didn't realize what I'd been missing by always picking a craft brew or lesser-known beer instead of Dos Equis during all those trips to beer stores. The only real real disappointment in this beer was the smell. Perhaps it's allergy season kicking in, but I had real trouble drawing any distinct aroma from either the brew or the empty bottle (usually the bottle will provide aroma even when the beer hasn't). Appearance seemed like the ho-hum average for crystaline lagers. Mouthfeel and drinkability also weren't worthy of top marks, in my book, but they did make the beer more appealing than the lack of smell might suggest. Starts a gentle, almost sweet flavor and settles onto the tongue with a light-bodied yet complex palatte hop, wheat, and oat undertones. Finishes as it begins, and I was glad to find out that it left without the least hint of bitter or sour afterthoughts. No part of this beer stays on the tongue after the brew has been consumed. I'd say this would probably be a good beer to start out the night, as you could head right into your next bottle without fear that it'll taste like Dos Equis.

3.35/5  rDev +23.6%

Very pale yellow colored beer with a quickly fading head.Aroma and taste are your normal Mexican macros except a bit lighter.Overall this is an easy drinking that goes down smooth.Perfect for a hot day or a Mexican dinner.I would recommend to try at least once would purchase again myself.

So this beer, hmm.

This beer is a great one to have on a really hot summer day, IMO. When your average American would be reaching for a Bud Light or a Coors, etc, intercept them with this.

Not to say that this is a complex beer by any means, because it simply isn't. What it IS is a nice break from beers you have to think about. It's something that, while simple, it's simple in a very positive way.

There isn't anything that stands out about its appearance -- namely that it's basically piss yellow with a little bit of head. Looks like typical macro-brew yadda yadda.

Smells like beer. Kinda.

Tastes heavenly when outside on a 90 degree day. Tastes less heavenly when you're just sitting around doing whatever. But for the sake of my review, I'm going to pretend I'm doing yard work, so it tastes great! Extremely refreshing without being overly sweet like a shandy or a lime-beer.

Going down, it feels like water, really. Not much to be said here, but not offensive by any means.

Seriously. It's summer time. Don't be pretentious. Grab a Dos Equis Special (or like 10.)

3.33/5  rDev +22.9%

I think most of us have seen the Dos Equis ads with Jonathan Goldsmith, who plays the most interesting man in the world. Those ads are hilarious! This is the beer I drank nonstop when I was in Mexico during spring-break. So it has a special place in my heart.

Dos Equis has a golden color similar to most lagers. It has minimal head, It has a grainy smell. The taste is crisp and bitter. It's a very refreshing beer. It tastes better with a lime in it but it is not essential. This is one of the easiest drinking lagers on the market. this beer is great for getting you wasted!

Overall this is a nice simple lager. It's not going to win any awards for it's amazing flavors, but it's better than most Mexican beers. I like this beer for chilling by the pool or if I want to get really drunk haha.

3.32/5  rDev +22.5%

I only ever drink this beer when we dine at our favorite Mexican restaurant. They have a limited beer menu and not being a fan of Corona my choices are limited to this, Heineken and Negro Modelo. I tried the Negro and it was a little to dark (hence the name) for my liking. I could suffer through a Heineken but I figure since I'm eating Mexican why not drink Mexican too... I actually don't find Dos XX lager too bad to drink, they also offer the Dos XX in the brown bottle but I have always preferred the lager. I usually drink it from the bottle since I am never offered a glass. For the first time last night they gave me a glass with the beer so I poured it. It does pour extremely light, almost looks like cream soda. What minuscule head existed after my pour quickly dissipated. Again for one reason or another the hops in this beer taste amazingly sweet when paired with spicy Mexican food. Having never drank the beer outside of the restaurant I can't say how well it goes on its own. When I'm eating Mexican this beer always hits the spot.

3.3/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

It has a slight distinct taste from other macro lagers out there. Overall, for what it is, it's pretty good. Doesn't taste or smell skunky like other macros out there. Maybe not the best macro lager but not bad either. Taste is good, but mouth feel could be better. Overall worth a try if you're into macro lagers

3.3/5  rDev +21.8%

This beer is best served with a lime, however this rating is for the beer served cold without a lime.

The beer does not have a bitter aftertaste. It is not an above average smooth beer, but will not 'tire;' your mouth during extended drinking.

A good party beer if everyone is tired of the normal cheap beers as it has a slight better taste than the 'average' beer.

3.3/5  rDev +21.8%

This beer is real good. I honestly have nothing bad to say about it. It goes down easy and tastes good to boot. One of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. I could drink them all day long and I just might if we get another really hot summer day soon. Very refreshing beer. A must try for those on a budget.

3.28/5  rDev +21%

Nice amber lager with a small white head. Smelled slightly malty with a sense of hops. Tasted same way, but the hops were more noticeable. Served with a lime that nicely complimented the malty aftertaste. Mouthfeel was kind of thick but not overbearing. Would definitely have again.

3.28/5  rDev +21%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed from notes of stuff I've had over the past month or so.

This one was reviewed directly from the bottle with a bit of lime and served with authentic Mexican food.

Appearance: Through the bottle, but you can tell this is a gold lager in the image of an adjunct. Given the style it's appropriate.

Smell: Adjunct characters through and through. I personally added lime after the initial taste. Everything about the beer was better, including the smell.

Taste: Clean, crisp, lightly skunky, surprisingly good for what it is, especially when citrus is added.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, pretty light and with exceptional carbonation. Kinda soda-esque.

Not a great beer by any standard, but in the Mexican adjunct category it's not bad at all.

3.27/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Surprisingly crisp, light tasting beer, great cold on a warm summer day. Very carbonated, but goes down easy. Not the best beer, but certainly not a bad one.

Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.