Dos Equis Special Lager | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

poor
poor
Read the review
Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
cuamoc.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Todd on 11-02-2001

Ratings: 2,719 |  Reviews: 610
1.29/5  rDev -52.4%

"Gringo!" he barked. "Go take your fancy princess beer and shove it up your burro!" His shrieks echoed in the dry heat, the heat was instigating him, rivers of sweat ran down his leathery face like veins. He was a man at the constant point of no return, one of us was going to burn. As he started walking towards me I found that I could not move, the smell of his sweat arrived a few yards before he did and I found myself paralyzed by this animal of a man, now just inches away. A primal beast that didn't care about anything but proving his dominance over others.

I felt the fear swelling up in my stomach, finding myself more and more hopeless with each stilted breath I took in. I decided then and there, to my own surprise that I wasn't going to cower down in fear, I clenched every muscle in my body, looked him in the eye and almost shouted "Listen buddy I am drinking a La Fin Du Monde, its ABV is 10% alright, that's more than most bee..." He cut me off with furious throaty laughter, his head reeled back as he let out howls of insanity. "HAHAHA you fool..." he quickly slapped my glass to the floor, shattering it, all the time his eyes locked on mine, his smile now turning to an sinister grimace.

I stood there and felt myself getting sick, like the air I was breathing was toxic, I knew I had to get out of there, I felt my life was now in serious danger. So I did something wild, I punched him straight in the jaw as hard as I could and ran out of the bar at cheetah pace. My sprint was cut short when two grizzly looking men stopped me at the exit, they caught me and held me by the arms, slowly dragging me back to the bar. As my legs slid across the dirty floor I found myself screaming for help, but my yells fell on deaf ears as all the patrons seemed to have left when this group had walked in - I should have noticed I thought, should have known.

I was a child at that point, so scared and helpless I felt like I was going to throw up. As they lifted me up back onto the bar stool, the apparent leader of the group, the one I had just so recently signed my death wish with only grinned at me, his gnarled yellow teeth clenched like a madmans. "Now chico, we are going to have fun. You are going to drink a mans beer, so pick up your pencil and notepad and write about...this shit." His friends laughed softly, knowingly, like I was about to experience a fiendish torture only left up to the imagination, I imagined it would be some sort of drug or poison, some kind of shady toxin that would have me curled up into a pool of blood before my ultimate demise. He marched to the bar, grabbed a bottle off the shelf and walked back towards me, I was seeing double at this point, half dazed at the thought of my life ending so oddly.

He set the bottle on the table and pulled the cap off with his bare wrists, when he did, he and his cronies flinched back a little, as if they feared even a drop of it would be spilled anywhere near them. Their eyes all locked on to the bottle with a sort of fearful concentration, as if it were a python waiting to pounce. As I shook the dizziness from my head I managed to focus in on the label. "Dos Equis". It must have been a joke I thought, I looked back at them but they didn't laugh, in fact I was absolutely sure that what I saw in their eyes was fear, a real instinctual fear that even these monsters were terrified by. "Now" he said slowly "Pick up the bottle, and drink it. Write down your review for us." I wasn't sure but I thought one of them made the sign of the cross as I poured the bottle into a glass.

Light yellow, head is fizzy and light and dissipates in seconds. As I stare into the yellowness I hear voices in my head, like shrieks of pain from ghosts telling me to turn back, turn back..

The smell makes me nauseous, it is an overly sweet skunky raunchy stench that overpowers all the hot sweat in the room and fills it with the scent of death, the bar now smells like an ancient crypt for skunks.

I lift the beer to my mouth and begin drinking, tears quickly form in my eyes. What is this? Why does this taste the way it does? Where is the goodness in life? The piss flavored grime contaminates my stomach with its cruel flavors. The liquid evil that I drink not only rapes my throat but my innocence, my faith in the world. This carbonated death was meant only to destroy, to defeat ones soul entirely.

The mouthfeel is light, strong carbonation.

I find myself alone. No where is there a trace of my captors or anyone else. I am a null in the void. Completely alone in the universe. There is no light in the darkness.....

1.37/5  rDev -49.4%

The flavor of this beer is...nonexistent. Seriously, I've had water with more flavor than this. The only reason they can call this beer is because the water's gone through some beer-like processing.

1.42/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.46/5  rDev -46.1%

OK so my New Years Resolution is to drink 52 different companys beers in 52 weeks (for example...not Bud and Bud light but just Bud)...
This beer was my week number 2 and I have to say I wish I would have picked something else.
I didnt like anything about this beer from the taste to the color-from the carbonation to the bad after taste that it left in my mouth.
I do however like the bottle art
and the commercials are really really cool.
The only really good thing about this beer is that I ran out and dont have to drink it ever again...

1.46/5  rDev -46.1%

12 ounce bottle from the Firm's Fridge. So far I've been through Guinness, Bass Pale Ale, Coor's Light and Newcastle Brown. I've Dos Equis, Corona, and Stella Artois left. Ugh, good thing I have some good stuff in the fridge at home.

Dark golden yellow color. Super weak white head. Lacing? Never heard of it. This is a glass of urine as far as appearances are concerned. A glass full of pee would probably yield better head and lacing come to think of it.

Smell? Yikes. I don't always understand what sophisticated reviewers mean when they say horse blanket smell, but this smells like horse manure mixed with straw. No joke here. Maybe some grain in there. Mixed with horse manure.

Luckily it doesn't taste like it smells. Grainy with a dry finish. And some other adjunct flavors in there - really inconsistent flavors and lots of garbage in here. This is not a very good beer and is becoming a very good candidate for a drainpour.

Standard adjunct lager mouthfeel - moderate body, slight crispness from carbonation but nothing to excite.

I hate to pour beer down the drain but I might just save myself the calories. Honestly, in terms of drinkability, I just might prefer a Coors Light over this one. Steer clear of them both.

1.47/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The Dos Equis poured a very light, clear yellow with a fizzy head that was very quickly completely gone. It has a skunky, yet slightly floral nose. It's very thin and watery. There is very little flavor, just a sweetish starch and some slight skunkiness. Overall, it's a little better than some macros, but not by much.

1.48/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

12 oz bottle. This is the best Mexican beer I’ve yet to rank on here. No skunk aroma like many of the cervezas from this country. Not bad flavor. Not all that great, but better than most of the beers from this country.

1.48/5  rDev -45.4%

1.5/5  rDev -44.6%

I wanted to try something new. So, I asked the bartender for a bottle of Dos Equis. This beer had no body, not a whole lot of flavor, and the appearance was not memorable. My only lasting impression of this beer is that it tasted like dirty tap water. If it wasn't for the alcohol, I would not have known it was beer. However, their marketing campaign is amazing. Had it not been for those commercials, I would have never given it a try.

1.5/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Sorry, this beer rates just below your run of the mill domestic mass produced brew that most of America beer drinkers find as normal beer. The head of one finger dissipated about as fast as it appeared, leaving nothing. The color is that of my morning "dew". Rating a 4 on the SRM beer color chart. The smell is very light and that of what I remember walking out in the barnyard in the morning as a child. The taste is about one step above water, some corn and malt, but nothing else. No mouth feel, no body, no zing, no pop. Maybe this is just a bad bottle. I am sorry to say, I will try to avoid this unless I must drink it to not hurt somebody's feelings.

1.5/5  rDev -44.6%

Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.