Dos Equis Special Lager | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

poor
poor
Read the review
Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
cuamoc.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Todd on 11-02-2001

Reviews: 590 | Ratings: 2,632
1.93/5  rDev -28.8%

Sorry but it's very hard to give this beer a decent rating. This one was left over from a recent gathering of friends so I figured why not you know. But I'm not joking when I say that this may be less flavorful than bud light or coors light. I don't even think that this is a light lager even. Tick tick tick . . .

1.93/5  rDev -28.8%

Served in a pint glass with a burrito at lunchtime.

A. Pale golden with a white head that disappears quickly.

S. A bit of corn, but not much else.

T. Tastes a bit like corn syrup with some harsh bitterness.

M. Thin, watery with a dry finish.

D. I don't think I could handle more than one of these. If I hadn't purchased it, I wouldn't have finished the first one, but I hate to waste.

I thought this would be cool refreshing beverage to go with my mid-day meal, but I'll stick with a good old hefe instead.

1.93/5  rDev -28.8%

A - Clear, fizzy yellow beer, but it does have some lacing.

S - Sweet corn/adjuncts, then very metallic.

T - Metallic tasting, then some creamed corn and grainy adjuncts.

M - Light body, high carbonation, but not over-carbonated like some of its counterparts. Finish leaves an accumulation of creamy corn across the palate.

D - Considering what it is, its not horrible, but I would never go out and buy this from a store.

1.94/5  rDev -28.4%

22 oz. bottle. I was prepared to dislike it: Green bottle of overhyped import purchased from drug store cooler with flourescent lights. etc. But this just didn't suck the way I thought. It is kind of plain, with a standard beery smell. Not a lot of flavor and perhaps filled with adjuncts. Still, nothing really offensive, mostly what you’d expect in this style, and probably a better choice in most Mexican restaurants. Just why do so-called "Mexican Beers" try to taste just like American ones?

1.94/5  rDev -28.4%

A typical lager appearance. Golden color. Miniscule head. Moderate-to-low carbonation. Smells the part as well. Very inoffensive notes of malt, but really the smell is almost non-existent.

Carbonation dominates this beer. Not necessary because the carbonation is high - but because there is nothing else. I suppose that, just like the smell, there are some malt in this beer. But really, this is the definition of forgettable. Could I see myself drinking this on a warm summer day? Definitely. But in all honestly, I'd rather take a Budweiser or a Miller Lite.

1.95/5  rDev -28%

I can't believe that I've never reviewed this! I've had this about a billion times in Mexico, but I've always just assumed that I've reviewed it.

A - Clear, yellow, and fizzy-looking with a rapidly dissipating white head. Nothing to see here folks, please move on.

S - Corn tortillas, salt, and lagery funk. Not offensive, but not good either.

T - About the same as the nose,...lagery funky corn, with a hint of a metallic flavor...maybe from the can.

M - Fizzy and refreshing. Good for a hot day at the beach, but not much else.

D - A halfway decent alternative to the much-despised Corona, but do yourself a favor and find some Indio or Negra Modelo.

1.97/5  rDev -27.3%

12 fl oz bottle served in a generic pint glass, reviewed from notes:

A - Pours a transparent, straw golden golden color with half a finger of thin, white head that was gone within 20 seconds. Generic and unappealing.

S - Stale cereal grains, heavy corn, light malt and maybe a touch of yeast (I'm stretching). Mild strength.

T - The taste is a bit maltier than the nose predicted, though it's still light. Heavy corn/adjunct taste and a bit of light cream. No yeast of hops notes are detectable. Simple and imbalanced.

M - Light bodied, smooth and wet. Completely wrong even for the style. Needs more carbonation.

D - Just another run of the mill adjunct lager with some Spanish branding on it. AVOID.

1.98/5  rDev -26.9%

Pale golden clear body, rich carbonation and a low but steady white head.
Some sweetness and sour corn in the nose which is pretty much the taste. Aftertaste is a sour lingering unpleasantness.
Decent mouthfeel but doesn't leave anything behind after swallowed, feels somewhat clean, maybe clinically so.
I wasn't disappointed as I didn't expect much from this brew.

-Oelergud

I had high expectations from this beer, possibly because of the good marketing. This is by far the worst beer I ever smelled and tasted. I tried it warm and ice cold, both had a greasy scent. Almost like left over grease smell. I am not the pickiest beer enthusiast either, I just love beer but the awfulness brought me here to rate.

A = very pale straw color typical of a lager.

S = almost non-existent maybe with a very slight sweetness.

T = not much of one. reminds me of a seltzer water with about a tablespoon of beer added to it. ick!

M = very thin with heavy carbonation.

D = only average because it lacks taste and can therefore be chugged quickly.

This is a complete waste of money for $7.50 a 6 pack. If I'm going to drink a lager, I'd MUCH rather have something cheaper like yuengling, high life, etc.

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

Decent beer. The Amber is better all around. It's smoother and just goes down better. However, if I wanted something cheap to drink with some mexican food, I may choose this since it has a slightly higher ABV in it.

Light flavored, almost like the Natty Light of cerveza.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Dark yellow, white head, some retention, no lacing.
You can vaguely get a minimal smell of hops, and the taste is vaguely bitter with a note of rice. It did not work well even in scorching sun.
As mediocre as the can version, no noticeable difference.

Meh. I can drink this one at a mexican restaurant every now and then. Obviously I am never ever buying this beer in any other capacity. Pairs well with chips and queso and fajitas.

It at least has a taste, which is better than I can say for some macro lagers, but it is far from a good taste. Sort of a dull, sweetish corn. I didn't drink it with a lime - maybe it would have been better?

2.01/5  rDev -25.8%

so i had 5 of these on afternoon. they were like water.

Appearance - not an inch of head. dies quick. urine in color

Smell - corn husks, rice. smells like a cheap one.

Taste - light corn sugar, watery, not much there, im searching.

Mouthfeel - best thing about this beer, its like what and quenches my summer hotness

2.02/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours a pale golden, with a light white head. Very little lace in my Hacker Pschorr stein.

Nose is corny and adjunct malty. Not much here.

Taste is watery corn malts, and very bland. I get not a trace of hops in here. This is as plain a lager as there is.

Bleah.

2.02/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured no head. Light yellow color.
Sweet aroma from corn, for a moment I could feel a hint of hops. Medium carbonation.
Taste was refreshing while cold and it had a predominance of the usual suspect: corn.
Slightly dry finish with a corn aftertaste and some metallic.
The lemon piece that I took out for degustation would help to hide its flaws…

2.03/5  rDev -25.1%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint glass. The color is golden with a slight white head that diminishes rapidly. The nose and taste can be described together as I don't think there's much of a difference and, frankly, there's really not much to them. There's a bit of light grain and that's about it. Some mild bitterness in the taste and feel, but even that is hard to pick out. Not a fan of this and prefer the amber version.

2.03/5  rDev -25.1%

I typically enjoy this beer when dinning out for Mexican food. I remember usually enjoying the beer.

Pours a clear straw color with a white foamy head that dissipates very, very quickly to no-foam at all. Perhaps a sign this beer is old? No lacing to be found.

Smells of corn and bread. Hints of grass, maybe some malt in the background.

Taste is uninspiring, somewhat bland. Reminds me of Miller High Life, not good.
No hops, maybe some sweet bread in the finish, it is clean, and somewhat crisp.

Mouthfeel is clean, a little watery, and thin. Some carbonation in the end.

I was very disappointed with this beer. I recall enjoying this one at restaurants, but this 6-pack is almost worthy of a drain pour. I may try another review if I get one while dinning out in the future.

2.05/5  rDev -24.4%

Had this on tap 10 minutes ago, for some reason I wanted to drink one hoping that it would be good, and It sucked, shoulda ordered another Sam.

Appearance-Very pale golden yellow, not signs of life in there. No head, although I got a little lacing.

Smell-Grainy and Corny, was trying to sniff out some citrus, hops or earthy tones, and nothing.

Taste-Nothing really going on, just get alot of carbonation. You get the typical American Adjunct Lager gross taste upfront, finish was kind of clean. Nothing at all.

Mouthfeel-Light bodied, tons of carbonation, gassy. I felt bloated halfway through.

Overall-The most interesting man in the world should stick to whatever other beverage he drinks, this beer sucks.

2.05/5  rDev -24.4%

It is a typical lager, nothing extraordinary, boring. The Body is yellow and clear, thin foam and average carbonation. The taste is watery, grainy, no hop and the Sensation that it is a beer with cheap ingredients. It is ok during a hot day or with a mexican tacos

2.05/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance: foamy white 1" head which recedes rapidly leaving scant lacing. Color is straw golden. Moderate carbonation bubbles.
Aroma: corn and lightly toasted barley.
Mouthfeel: fairly crisp, watery, dry finish.
Flavor: sweet corn, slight biscuit, and very little hop presence.
Overall: decent, but nothing to get excited about.

2.06/5  rDev -24%

I recently vacationed in Mexico, and while most of the Mexican beers I drank tasted much better than they do in the US, this one actually tasted worse. Aroma was virtually non-existent. Mouthfeel was highly (unpleasantly) carbonated and flavor was corny and metallic.

2.08/5  rDev -23.2%

Single bottle (no date I could interpret on bottle) poured into a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Pale yellow - plenty of carbonation bubbling up through the beer. White foam (1/4" thick) on pouring quickly died down to leave just a thin non-complete foam across the top. No lacing noted.

Smell: Quite faint - grainy, maybe a hint of metallic and cider in there.

Taste: Not exactly bitter - but definitely not sweet with malt either. Earthy? Some metallic tastes in there (not strong) and sometimes some apple-like cider, but that cider is fleeting against the mild bitterness/metallic taste.

Mouthfeel: Plenty of carbonation on the tongue, maybe a tad on the watery side.

Drinkability: Maybe if I had this beer as a counter to a very spicy meal or something really flavorful I might enjoy it better, but otherwise I'm not liking it nor would I reach for another. Even yesterday having one alone after mowing the yard didn't exactly do anything for me. I won't say awful (I finished both beers) but I'm not impressed.

Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.