Dos Equis Special Lager | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

poor
poor
Read the review
Dos Equis Special LagerDos Equis Special Lager

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico
cuamoc.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Todd on 11-02-2001

Reviews: 604 | Ratings: 2,695
3.39/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a green longneck bottle into a sampler. A moderate pour brings about a very short-lived 1/2 inch bubbly white head. This reduces to little islets of foam in about a minute with very little if any lacing on the sides of the glass. The little islets hang around though. The beer is a pale golden with moderate carbonation.

I definitely get some skunk on the nose. The taste is also a bit skunky with a little bit of leafy hops and a distinct but very light malt sweetness. Very little bitterness is apparent, with not even much of an aftertaste on the burps. The mouthfeel is maybe a little thin but not unexpected for the style. It does have some decent carbonation despite the lack of head and stickiness

This is a very clean, light and refreshing brew that would go perfectly fine on a hot day and/or with Mexican cuisine. I know from experience that I tire of this kind of skunky Caribbean beer, but one or three are certainly fine. In other words, there's nothing too special here, but certainly not much to complain about either. I got this from the oddball rack at Albertson's and paid one dollar (no freshness date, but it doesn't taste stale).

I would love to know more about the story of the German expatriots in Mexico, and the invention of this beer to commemorate the arrival of the 20th century. I wonder what this beer tasted like in 1900?

I don't agree that this beer should be classified as AAL. I think the BA needs a new category, such as "Caribbean Lager".

4.26/5  rDev +57.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good tastng beer in my opinion. Way better choice than Coors Lite or Bud Light. Smooth and good taste. Way too many people on here complain a lot but i think its a great beer. I may not be a huge beer person but i know what i like and what i recommend.

1.78/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Dos Equis, odd but this is the 1st full beer I ever had, it was at my future father in-laws, 1989-90? I remember getting a headache.

Poured the beer into a lager mug. Pale gold, head non existent, left a little lacing.

Would it be odd to say I thought I smelled a babies diaper with the first wiff? Well off to a great start. Other than that 1st suprise, it has faint to little aroma.

Taste, bitter, dry, metallic. Nothing good, actually I dont know what to say. I guess I could slam this down ice cold on a hot day. I dont normally toss a beer out, but I dont think I have it in me to finish. As it warms it sours. Man not nice. Mouthfeel? Nothing the negatives outweigh everything. The bottle of Titos is calling me from a state just north of the border.

I say leave the XX across the Rio Grande.

2.94/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance: Deep golden color with a white head which disappears almost instantly.
Aroma: Non-distinct beer smell
Flavor: Smooth non distinct beer taste, void of any hoppiness. Light bodied slightly acidic carbonation.
Overall: This is not a bad tasting beer, it just doesn't have much of a taste. It has a smooth start which is interrupted with an unpleasant acid carbonation. A decent beer on a scorning hot day. For those of you who "don't always drink beer, but when you do …“; i.e., if you are a non beer drinker, this is a good choice for you.

2.33/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A friend brought a six pack of these over on NYE and they're still in the fridge, so I guess it's time to review one.

A: Crystal clear very light yellow in color, though the color is so light it's nearly devoid of any color at all. A stream of carbonation bubbles is visible. Forms a rather measly, fizzy-bubbly white head that reduces fairly quickly. No lacing.

S: Smell is light and non-distinct. Basically some light corn notes and some light grassy hops.

T: Taste is pitiful. Very lightly flavored with a mild sweetness. Corn, biscuit, and light grains with a slightly fruity aftertaste.

M: Lighter bodied. Appropriate carbonation. Very mild bitterness. Leaves a sticky residue in the mouth.

O: I recall Dos Equis Amber being an unexciting, but acceptable beer, though I've got to admit I haven't had one in years. However, this Special Lager just isn't very good. Very little character to speak of and what is there isn't anything to brag about. I'm going to go squeeze a lime in it and hopefully that will make it taste like something better than what it is.

1.92/5  rDev -29.2%

I used to love this stuff when I was a kid in my early 20's, before I started experimenting with craft beer. I haven't had one in over 10 years, and saw a 16oz can on sale at the gas station and picked it up. After spoiling myself with a decade of sampling some of the finest beers in the world today, I didn't expect to care for it nowadays, and I was right. This is just your typical, lousy, run-of-the-mill American adjunct. Piss yellow, almost no head, and an even flatter flavor. This is even worse than Corona. It's basically Rolling Rock with a Mexican themed label. I let my desire for a little nostalgia rob me of $1.49. It won't be happening again.

2.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Gold color that is completely transparent, almost no head retention.

Smell: Smells how it looks, uneventful. Grains.

Taste: Better than its appearance, grainy, some corn.

Mouthfeel: Light, lightly carbonated, watery.

Overall: Probably my favorite Mexican beer that I know of, I have not had many. I think the green bottle ruined the taste a bit. LIght enough to drink all night. Not my favorite light beer, but I won't turn one down.

2.41/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Seemingly this is becoming a very popular beer up in Canada, despite not really resembling Corona.

The colour is very pale, not quite as pale as Corona, but it's very faint.
Aroma is faint, with some mild hop and corn notes coming through.
Taste is not bad, but I should say that there really isn't any taste to begin with. It's not as corny as some other Mexican lagers, and for that I commend it, but it is still a really sub-par beer. Feel is watery and uninteresting. Pass on this.

That said, this is a pretty good adjunct lager on the basis of taste, since I can finish the bottle no problem. Some of the local adjunct beers here are just junk.

3.47/5  rDev +28%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Do not know why this beer has sun low ratings. I don't think people realize it os not suppose to be a flavor monster. I love this beer when it is freeking got outside and I go in to one of my favorite restaurants and get a 24oz glass and it is freezing cold. It goes down super smooth, light hoppyness. Great beer if I'm looking for a light yet complex smooth flavor.

2.33/5  rDev -14%

Poured from 24oz tall can into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden hue with no haze and a moderate effervescence. Head poured a quarter inch of white foam which dissipated immediately. Eh.

Smell: bland, slightly sour grainy aroma. Not enticing.

Taste: slightly sweet, grainy and a little bit sour. Not totally disgusting, but it's bland and uninspiring.

Mouthfeel: light body with a light-medium carbonation. Refreshing enough.

Overall: moderately refreshing but not good enough to warrant drinking a ton of it. That said, this is by far not the worst adjunct lager I've had.

3.2/5  rDev +18.1%

Appearance:
Straw color, clear. Lots of small bubble rising up. Thin, bright white head.

Aroma:
Cooked corn, sweet, grainy.

Taste:
Very light in flavor. Grainy, grassy, corn. Hop bitterness is minimal. Finish is very crisp, clean, semi-dry. Body is very light and watery, crisp, clean, refreshing, semi-dry, moderate carbonation.

Overall:
It's a decent beer. There's no off flavor, it's just bland. It's very refreshing and high drinkable.

1.73/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Goplden crystal beer with white foam that vanishes very fast,tiny bubbles, no lace.Aroma is no t present.Its taste is very poor,some kind of nothing, a very watery beer as many other industrial massive beers in market nowadays.Very light bodied, something to avoid for sure.

1.17/5  rDev -56.8%

Appearance- Dos Equis is literally perfectly transparent. It has a straw color to it with a decent amount of carbonation. With an aggressive pour into a American Adjunct Lager glass a 1.5 finger head appears and disappears within about thirty seconds and there is not lacing on the glass.

Smell- With my first few sniffs of this beer I can strongly detect a lot of rice in the making of this beer. After I get passed all of the grainy/rice smell, I really can detect a certain sweetness almost like a natural sugar smell.

Taste- Well, not much of anything. I hate to compare my beer to others, but it tastes like a Budweiser or a regular American Adjunct Lager. I expected something a bit different from a Mexican beer. It is overwhelming amounts of rice right off the tongue, with a sweet aftertaste. The aftertaste actually makes it worse I think which is usually not the case for me. Finally, I do sense a bit of skunkiness, probably because of the green bottle.

Mouthfeel- Very very light. Without the taste, I would say it is as close to water as it gets without being a light beer. Highly disappointed for this "specialty lager." CHEERS!

Overall- Really, after all of the fantastic advertising and cost of this beer I would have expected it to be a bit better. I really could not tell it apart from a regular macro brew. I would not recommend this to anyone, ever.

2.54/5  rDev -6.3%

Drank from a 12 fl oz (355 ml) bottle purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear, golden yellow color. A one-finger, tight, bubbly, bright white head topped the liquid, but it quickly dropped to a thin ring of foam. Tiny spots of lacing trickled down the glass.

Not much going on in the nose. Husky malts and cereal grains were noticeable. There was a slight skunky quality, but it quickly disappeared.

Like the aroma, the flavor profile was quite subdued. Husky malts were again apparent. Somewhat grainy and a bit rough around the edges. As the beer warmed, some tart, lemony, wheaty notes came forth. A touch of sulfur/skunk appeared in the finish.

The mouthfeel was exceptionally light and airy with an excessive, large bubbled effervescence. The liquid felt prickly, almost to the point of being stinging.

Between the light skunkiness and the subtle flavor profile, Dos Equis Special Lager was barely drinkable. It is definitely a far cry from their amber lager.

1.85/5  rDev -31.7%

Corona is a cheap watery bland beer. Dos Equis is Corona plus a more offensive overly-sweet adjunct malt flavor on top of the corn. Those who drink this beer will insist that it goes great with their spicy food, and I will say that so does water.

Well it starts off the color you would expect--yellow and pale. The smell is quite faint, but if you sniff intensely you'll discover what is yet to come with the flavor--again, that saccharin sweetness and that oh so stale corn. The mouthfeel is actually just fine for an ultra-thin beer (carbonation is pleasant) but that is all ruined by that awful aftertaste.

They may have a good marketing campaign, but the most interesting man in the world does not drink this beer...and he wasn't dumb enough to try it.

2.27/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: Clear gold body, no head, moderate visible carbonation.

Smell: Stale bread and vegetables. Pretty bad, even for a Mexican beer.

Taste: Not a very strong flavor . It taste like water corn. That is it !

Mouthfeel: . Light bodied and with lots of fizzy carbonation

Overall : The best you can say is it’s easy drinking and relatively inoffensive, but that’s only because it doesn’t take like much of anything. I will pass on this one ever again, and not recomend it to anyone. There are much better beers for the price out their in the store.

2.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Nothin' like 'Free Beer From Work'ing the night away....

Poured into a Hoegaarden tumbler glass. The beer is very translucent yellow. A white head turns to a thick ring+slight cap quickly and remains that way, leaving some lace behind.

Straining to get any scent. I shouldn't have to try this hard really. Err pale malt graininess? Not offensive, but really not anything at all.

Taste is better, a clean pale lager that is easy to drink with no off-flavors. Pale, sweetish malts, some cereal/bread, buttery malt, even a bit of spicy hop flavor there. Though bland, not much else to complain about.

A decent mouthfeel on this one, good body and medium carbonation, no spikiness. Definitely better than most adjunct lagers.

Like it's brethren Corona, this doesn't deliver much for flavor as expected but is definitely a step above many in its style. The taste is decent, surprisingly good mouthfeel, no off-flavors, wouldn't mind throwing back a couple of these.

2.62/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Bottles, cans, draft; ive had this many a time and many ways, my buddy always seems to have this on hand in some way. Not worth a detailed analysis, lets just get to what to expect:

Pours a little stiller than the standard BMC beers, taste is more pleasant with a little grain taste and less skunkiness than most "Mexibeers". Its a real easy drinker on a hot day thanks to the wateriness and the low ABV. There were PBRs, Miller Lites and this in the fridge, I kept going with the XX's. Thats all the praise I'll offer this one.

2.5/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear golden color with a thin carbonated head that quickly dissipates. Lacing is mild. Cereal grain aroma. Malty, cereal like taste. Some rice. Slightly sweet at the end. A bit watered down. Light bodied. Moderate carbonation.

3.42/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I had been curious about this particular beer for awhile, so I purchased a six pack of bottles at a local convenience store. Definitely not a great beer, but certainly not a bad one. The beer was a pale yellow with no real distinct odor that I was able to detect, although it had a slightly sweet smell to it. The taste was quite clean and rather on the light side. This is not the kind of beer that I would picture the most interesting man in the world drinking, but it would not be a bad beer served ice cold with some wings or good Mexican food.

2.67/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Clear light straw color with rising bubbles. Fizzy white head that dissipates to a film. Light lacing that eventually disappears.

Aroma: Sweet cereal grains dominate, paper, rice.

Taste: Sweetness, cereal grains, corn. A notable paper quality.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, light.

Overall: The can is so much better than the bottle, but still one of my least favorite Mexican beers.

3.97/5  rDev +46.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Pale straw color, foamy-fizzy head. Much carbonation.

S: Pleasant smells of some malts, kinda like a Heineken in some way that I couldn't explain. Really really faint though.

T: Has a fair amount of bitterness, but not a lot at the beginning and finishes very clean, has some taste of malts and adjunct but definitely not a lot.

M: Light, a tad bit watery. Easy to gulp down ice-cold on a hot day.

O: It's a nice beer, definitely not offensive, has great drinkability. All in all, it has it's place.

2.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured a pale yellow color with a big, foamy white head; little carbonation in the body. Funky, sour-like aroma. Fair flavor with just a hint of cereal. Good mouthfeel; clean, crisp, and dry.

Just an average beer for this style. The weird aroma really distracts from things as well. Drinkable? Sure. Makes you want more? Not unless there is absolutely nothing else available.

I'm shocked that this beer has so many "bad" reviews here on Beer Advocate. It is not bad, but only average. It is overwhelmingly average, so gargantually run-of-the-mill and ordinary that this is the first review that I have ever posted that awards five "3" grades in the ASTMO categories.

I had it with an average plate of wings at the mundane Buffalo Wild Wings in Tacoma on a Wednesday.

2.73/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

24oz can poured into a nonic glass.

A: Pours a clear light yellow gold with a 1 finger white head. Bit more head than your typical AAL but still fizzes away fairly quickly. Average visible carbonation.

S: Not much going on here, corn and other malts. Bit of sweetness that reminds me of cheap beer.

T: Same flavor you would expect from this style, a bit more on the sweet side of things.

M: Light body with average carbonation. A bit sticky on swallowing from the sweetness. Could be more crisp.

Overall not the best of the Mexican beers but inexpensive and great for a hot day. Bit too much corn going on.

Dos Equis Special Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.