Dos Equis Dark Lager
Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
Score:
Ranked #48,937
3.03 | pDev: 23.76%
From:
Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

Mexico
View: Beers
Reviews: 12 | Ratings: 174 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Singlefinpin from North Carolina

2.05/5  rDev -32.3%

This is another one of those Mexican beers that I like to order in a Mexican restaurant on draft when I can find it.
Appears dark amber with a nice white foamy head that dropped quickly and very light lacing.
Smells bready, malty, lightly spicy, floral.
Taste follows the nose.
Mouth feel is medium light for the style.
Overall, worth ordering on draft if you are in a Mexican restaurant.
I'd never go out of my to drink this canned or bottled.

May 20, 2020
Buckeye55 from North Carolina

My bud that drinks Tecate also likes this one, I do too.
A medium brown color, a slightly bad smell. A full bodied caramel tinged taste with a coating mouth feel. Overall this beer is average, hence the 3 rating.

Mar 14, 2019
Squire from Mississippi

2.49/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Vienna it ain't.

I swear every time I taste this is seems different. At times thin, or rich, malty, or not, caramel or burn matchstick. It looks like a Dark Viennese Lager but looks are deceiving. I suppose part of my impression is due to drinking this primarily in restaurants but all of them can't have a slow turnover. At it's best it's malty, toffeeish, caramely with enough hops to notice. Most times it's just disappointing. Out of caution I just don't buy it anymore.

But don't listen to me, you may have better luck.

Apr 14, 2016
MacMalt from New Jersey

3.34/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on draught in a restaurant, served in a pint glass with a wedge of lime. The color was a dark reddish amber with a thin, milk-white head and lacing. I think the head would have been more impressive if served at a warmer temperature. The smell was not particularly strong, again probably because of the temperature at which it was served: it smelled of sweet malt and a whiff of caramel. The taste wasn't bad, although there was little to distinguish it: sweet malt, caramel, and some fruitiness. There is a hint of hops at the finish but no real bitterness. This lager has a low ABV and is very drinkable but is also rather non-descript. It's okay at a bar but I would not purchase it to drink at home.

Jan 30, 2016
JAMES-BABY from Oregon

bouquet: Freshly squashed skunk Taste: Freshly strained skunk juice Aftertaste: "I'll have another in hopes of a quick death!" Please Lord, if you DO strand me on a desert island with 2 Xes at least allow me a tall tree and some strong vine(s)! Have you ever seen what the Colorado River is by the time it reaches Mexico? Remember that along the way Las Vegas has dumped 2 million gallons of effluent into it PER DAY, and several other cities have dumped in also. The corporate farmers in AZ and CA have sucked out most of that to water cattle & crops. Just 100 miles north of Yuma you can walk across the "river". NOW imagine the flavor of that water as what's left of it trickles into the Gulf of California at Baja... NOW THAT'S DOS EQUIS!!!!!!

Oct 12, 2014
jimmah120 from Minnesota

3.28/5  rDev +8.3%

On-tap into giant hefeweizen glass. Served with lime wedge.

Look is a slightly cloudy dark amber/brown. Smell is light grain/malt. Taste is very light malt and grain, with a slight red ale flavor. Feel is crisp and well carbonated, very drinkable.

If you can find this at a mexican restaurant, it's probably the best beer.

Jun 18, 2012
beerprovedwright from Georgia

3.78/5  rDev +24.8%

Good pour of dark beer with a two finger light brown head. Compares to a 26 on the SRM Beer Color Chart. Aroma of roasted corn and corn husks, oatmeal, malt, and burnt rice. Taste is a rich wave of caramel, toasted wheat, boiled corn, clover, sweet barley malt and a hint of hops. Feels close to whole milk in mouthfeel, has the coating effect, with a clinging sensation of bitterness. Good availability and a flavor that doesn't grow old after a few.

Oct 29, 2010
BluNeon from Illinois

3.3/5  rDev +8.9%

I tried this beer at a Mexican restaurant in Michigan.

Appearance: (3.0) The beer is a reddish-dark brown color which is not very eye appealing but not bad looking either, so I gave it an average score.

Smell: The smell, in my opinion, was not that strong to be honest.

Taste: Since I had this beer in a Mexican restaurant, I drank it with Mexican food. I felt the beer went very well with the meal. It is definitely a "meal" type of beer. There was a hint of a bitter taste to the beer which is something that actually appeals to my personal taste and therefore receives a "good" score.

Mouthfeel: The beer actually had a slight thickness to it which adds to accompany the meal.

Drinkability: This receives the lowest score due to the fact that I feel this is a not a versatile beer by any means. Unless I eat at a Mexican restaurant, I probably won't be ordering this beer to often.

*Overall: A great beer for a Mexican-styled meal with a dark reddish color and a slightly thick feel and taste.

Jul 04, 2010
schoolboy from Ohio

3.06/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

We spent a week at an all inclusive resort in Cancun and with some minor exceptiona, this and the regular Dos Equis were all that was available. All you care to drink.

Unfortunately, the same was the case for the wine, liquor and food at the resort. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

The food generally looked better than it tasted. The wash sometimes lacked for presentation (plastic cups at many of the bars) but quantity and availability weren't an issue. There were bars everywhere and eager servers to bring you drinks. And stuff was OK.

The on-tap "obscura" dark beer was without much character. But if I had it to do over (and I do), I'd do it again, even with this as the best beer available at the resort. Quality made up for with quantity.

Jan 04, 2009
Rhynes2 from Ohio

2.94/5  rDev -3%

I have not had a lot of experience with mexican dark lagers but this one wasn't so bad. I appreciate that they were going for a darker, more roasted taste, it just didn't quite hit the mark. More complex than your regular Dos Equis but if your going for a complex beer, don't start with this one.

Oct 09, 2008
brdc from Wisconsin

2.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Small capped bottle poured into a pint.

Reddish brown, a bit lighter than you expect for a beer called "dark", but still looks good.
Aroma is faint, but shows some caramel and sweet maltiness; taste is also faint, but shows the same malty notes.
Not a good beer by any means, but some of the best options in most Mexican restaurants.

Sep 01, 2008
WJVII from Wisconsin

3.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Was I surprised to see a Dos Equis Dark?! I went for dinner at a "traditional" Mexican place and sure enough they had it. Poured into a glass mug, this beer had a semi-transparent brown color with a minimal off white head with little lacing. The smell was of moderate malts some alcohol, and slight caramel roast. The taste was mild with some roasted characteristics. Moderate carbonation had a good mouth feel. It wasn't a great beer, but I was surprised for a mexican dark brew so an "A" for effort, but not an "A" brew.

May 21, 2008
Dos Equis Dark Lager from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Beer rating: 69 out of 100 with 174 ratings