Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Noche Buena | Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.

YOUR RATING = None |
Noche BuenaNoche Buena

Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: Bock

Added by UncleJimbo on 12-28-2002

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 91 | Ratings: 214
3.96/5  rDev +17.9%

Some friends in Mexico City turned me on to this beer on my last visit. Its seasonal and more of a traditional Mexican / Vienna Lager (like Dos Eques & Negro Modelo). What struck me the most is the yeasty aroma. Being a home brewer it was refreshing to get that smell from a commercial bottled beer. I found the beer quite drinkable and a nice break from the other standard beers in one gets in Mexico.

And no need to worry, any bartender in Mexico knows better than to put a damn lime in a beer!

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%

Into a pint glass, this presents a very clear and deep reddish amber color under a thin but nicely sustained head. The aroma is a mild but noticeable sweet roasted malt nose with a light note of hops. There's a nice sweet roasted malt dominated and robust body here carried along by a pleasant medium carbonation into a caramel noted crisp malt finish. All in all, a no frills but solid bock. Gracias a la Cerveceria por una cerveza con cojones...

Appearance - This beer poured a light brown in color and was very clear. It had a nice off-white head that showed good retention.

Smell - This one has a nicely toasted aroma and is very clean. I can also pick up some dark molasses which rightly completes the bouquet.

Taste - That has a big, hard-hitting molasses flavor without a hint of sugar. The malt base is firm and strong giving this beer a lot more heft than I expected.

Mouthfeel - This is light-bodied, flows easy in the mouth, and has enough carbonation to keep things interesting.

Drinkability - I wouldn't say that this is a session beer but it is an easy drinker. It's light and refreshing but has powerful punch that demands respect.

PS: This may seem like a strange beer to pick for my 1,900th review, but I was down in Mexico City having celebrated the bicentennial and was working out the week at a car wash owned by a friend, actually there more to learn from his cooking techniques as they serve food at the car wash and he is an amazing chef. We cooked the night away and I kept my mouth from getting dry by drinking Noche Buenas and I have to say they made for quite the refreshing evening.

This beer is a seasonal brew and only comes out during the Holidays. It is in par with what I think is the best Mexican beer; Bohemia.
A- The head is about 1 finger and lingers enough to get the first couple of drinks.
B- Aroma is good and pleasant.
c- Taste is better than expected. Especially if the only thing you have ever had is Tecate or Corona which is nothing more than the Bud and Coors of Mexico.
I look forward to drinking this when in Mexico during the Holidays. Maybe that is the aura that surrounds this beer. The fact that it is the Christmas beer.

4.02/5  rDev +19.6%

the only seasonal beer of the macro´s;a dark lager beer full bodied, smell roasted and caramel malts, well ballanced, for this its color, low in fermentation, good off course with holiday mexican food (tamales, stuffed turkey) enjoy direct from the bottle or in a goblet; this beer is the most beautiful creations of its brewery, it creates nostalgia all the year until is obtained it at the end of autumn; 100% recommended.

4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

Since this beer is a seasonal, I feel it's OK to make a new review, now on the 2005 version.
First things first: Checked in the site of the brewers and, yes, this one is a bock, not a Munich Dunkel.
The story on the Cervecería Cuauhtémoc-Moctezuma site states that the homesick German brewers hired to start-off a brewery at the beggining of the 20th century made small batches of this brew for themselves. Soon they had to brew some more for guests, and then went into full blown yearly production due to success.

Pours a nice dark reddish, with a tan head and small lacing.

Smell is malty and you can even notice some hops.

Taste is fresh and crisp, as the lager it is. You can also sense the maltiness and a little carbonation. Just a little.

Aftertaste is lightly bitter, maybe the hoppiest Mexican beer I can recall. Just wait a minute you hopheads. Nothing to make a fuzz. Just some hop bitter aftertaste to make keep malts on check. Nice, though.

This is another beer that I miss all year long. Too bad Christmas comes only once a year. Anyway, the waiting is worthy.

¡Salud!

4.08/5  rDev +21.4%

This annual Mexican holiday brew is always a favorite. It is generally available November or December, but even then it is a little hard to find. Lightly spiced bock...though I would move it more towards a Vienna lager style. Worth smuggling a case north of the border ...sorry compadres de cerveza... you can't keep it all! Of course you can legally bring a couple up anyway!

4.1/5  rDev +22%

To clarify, I am giving my opinion on the new Bohemia version of Noche Buena.

First of all, let me say I am not sophisticated enough to truly comment on the look and smell. I mostly prefer to drink my beer from the bottle, but for this review I poured it in a glass.

I love Christmas beers. Noche Buena pours out the same color as the beautifully eye pleasing bottle. It looks dark cold, and promising. The gold foil brings with it a sense of festivity and grandness.

As I savor the aroma I detect the distinct odor of well...beer.

Not much of a fan of hoppy, piney and skunky beers, I seem to prefer lagers, high end and flavorful, but Lagers.

Noche Buena Bohemia delivers full flavor and a very satisfying delivery with something I love in my beer, a clean but strong finish.

We all have our regular go to beers, this one is a notch above like Christmas is a notch above a regular day. It adds a special dimension that makes the moment a bit more special. Christmas is not a day for any old beer.

I am NOT saying it's the best beer I ever had, simply that they pack a lot of fullness and flavor in a beautifully wrapped little bottle, and in a perfect balance for me. Merry Christmas!

4.14/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is a winter season beer in Mexico and it is different every year, It would be great if this were all year available but no, stock goes fast, beer drinkers buy boxes to store at home.

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

No doubt the best beer produced in Mexico (with Negra Modelo being second with a bit of distance between the two). Wish it was available all year round but then it wouldn't be this special. A must try during the holidays!

4.3/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Perhaps you have been a little unjust with this beer. IT is really a good beer, seassonal, and I understand it maybe because it is a little tiring. BUt once a year it is nice. The foam is a little, but the hops are really present, the aroma and the flavor say so.

4.4/5  rDev +31%

A dark amber colored pour into a mug. With the kind of aroma in the nose that meant good beer, some 18 years ago, when I first sampled this Mexican holiday classic. A delicious presentation from start to finish. Wonderfully drinkable, with expert balance between malts and ample hops support.
First created in 1920, this is an outstanding example of Christmas bock... if only you are fortunate enough to find it.

4.5/5  rDev +33.9%

I was finally able to get a 12pack in Monterrey a
few months ago had heard about it for years + the
price couldn't be beat either 55 pesos (about 5$)
which is cheaper than even Tecate!

Taste is excellent (like all GOOD mexican beers -
of which most are) you don't need lime/salt and I
like it being on the strong side 5.9% which makes
for a change from my everyday fave Indio which is
also distributed by Cerv. Cuauthemoc, this one is
a bit of a bock, a bit of an amber. Good hybrid!!
IMO it's best to enjoy during the holidays though
it'll be 100 tomorrow (well later today) so gonna
enjoy them as cold as my fridge can be (unless 2+
of y'all can convince me to keep my last precious
3 for summer drinking)

4.72/5  rDev +40.5%

Look: Very dark copper color, creamy foamy head with a finger thick, good lacing; Smell: Floral hops and pumpkin; Taste: Smoked malt, floral hops, molasses ad pumpkin, the flavor pumpkin predominant by far; Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean, high bitterness, high carbonation, robust body; Drinkability: My favorite beer for Christmas.

4.74/5  rDev +41.1%

I too am a sucker for mexican beers so i was at cotco and picked this one up. It comes in a 24 pack along with dos equis lager regular. It was exceptional .. I think i am a fan of cuauhtemocs dark beers they brew because this is the 3rd best beer ive had from here. Dark but smoooth !!!

4.77/5  rDev +42%

This may favorite winter beer

Appearance: Good cling, good cream compact foam

Smell: Mature Caramel malt and a little bit toasted bread

Taste: Great balance between caramel malt and bitterness (sweet and bitter)

After taste: grain, caramel and a little bit coffee note.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Noche Buena from Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V.